Storm 13+
10%

Total votes: 10

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Game Day

Post by reptar »

pickles wrote:Now is not the time for arguing about which segments were better. It is a time for acknowledging that all of the segments made the GH a greater place for everyone (with the possible exception of a few faceless people who only wanted to read about football). They were a way for everyone to contribute in their own unique way and demonstrated the creative side of so many posters who routinely had their posts lost in the pages and pages of vitriol and irrelevance. It gave every poster a chance to shine, rising on the tide of raiders success that made us all better people and better posters. It is now time my friends, to make the GH great again and the only way to do that is more segments in the teams and previews thread. Who's with me?
I dunno, i kinda like where this arguing about touchie calls might go. After a few months we might come to a conclusion! It's great forum filler!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

pickles wrote:Now is not the time for arguing about which segments were better. It is a time for acknowledging that all of the segments made the GH a greater place for everyone (with the possible exception of a few faceless people who only wanted to read about football). They were a way for everyone to contribute in their own unique way and demonstrated the creative side of so many posters who routinely had their posts lost in the pages and pages of vitriol and irrelevance. It gave every poster a chance to shine, rising on the tide of raiders success that made us all better people and better posters. It is now time my friends, to make the GH great again and the only way to do that is more segments in the teams and previews thread. Who's with me?
Cant have people having fun and enjoying a good laugh on about their passion on an internet forum! Not when we have a tedious amount of "that's a good bench" or "i dunno, wouldnt mind seeing x given a run this week!" posts to get through in the game preview thread.
Especially not when a bunch of people who never post, and dont contribute find it a bit annoying... or maybe they dont and it just kill joys in the administrative team who found it annoying... we wouldnt know.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:
Cant have people having fun and enjoying a good laugh on about their passion on an internet forum! Not when we have a tedious amount of "that's a good bench" or "i dunno, wouldnt mind seeing x given a run this week!" posts to get through in the game preview thread.
Especially not when a bunch of people who never post, and dont contribute find it a bit annoying... or maybe they dont and it just kill joys in the administrative team who found it annoying... we wouldnt know.
Don’t forget the numerous “Croker can’t kick” and “Croker can’t tackle” threads! Can’t have segments and people having a laugh when they get in the way of serious discussion like that!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote:
Don’t forget the numerous “Croker can’t kick” and “Croker can’t tackle” threads! Can’t have segments and people having a laugh when they get in the way of serious discussion like that!
It might be tedious at best and flat out trolling at worst but at least it’s vaguely football related. But given the amount of tangential nonsense in almost every thread cracking the whip on some light hearted banter seems a bit harsh!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Time to cut the discussion of the moderation, thanks. People have had their say, we've been quite liberal with it... but it is boring, and against forum guidelines to debate the moderation... especially endlessly.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I like how Nickman slips in Croker as if the guy didn't just miss two piss easy conversions, or didn't get busted open by 80kg wringing wet Ryan Papenmilhouse at a crucial moment on the weekend.

Hats off, that's one guy definitely dedicated to his agenda.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:I like how Nickman slips in Croker as if the guy didn't just miss two piss easy conversions or didn't get busted open by 80kg wringing wet Ryan Papenmilhouse at a crucial moment on the weekend.

Hats off, that's one guy definitely dedicated to his agenda.
Hahahaha the ironing of YOU declaring someone has an agenda is amazing, old friend

And what’s my “agenda”? Being annoyed that a thread gets bumped everytime our captain and one of my favourite players, a bloke who gives everything for the team and will go down as a club legend makes a mistake?

Good grief, if that’s what’s called having an agenda in these parts, then agenda me up, big boy
Last edited by The Nickman on September 16, 2019, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

And follows it up with a good dollop of whataboutism.

It's just classic, vintage Nickman.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Go and sit in the corner, pal. You’ve been proven to be so blatantly wrong about Aiden Sezer that you’ve now bizarrely hitched your wagon to the Billy Walker Croker hate train.

You’re so far beyond being relevant now, it’s just a desperate attempt to stand for something.

You and Billy and his alts... what a team. Tute on, afhcjfkfkfkf, tute on!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cut the personal abuse and in fighting. Thanks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elliott Whitehead posts graphic video of pussing knee after Cam Smith decried Canberra Raiders forward’s injury as a scratch

Canberra forward Elliott Whitehead has posted a graphic video on his Instagram account of his knee leaking with pus and blood in response to comments made by Cameron Smith.

Footage posted by Fox League on social media earlier today showed Smith complaining to officials as Whitehead received treatment during the Raiders’ thrilling win on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 96f7919dde

Axe swings on two officials - including Ashley Klein - after Raiders’ controversial win over Storm: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3a46abf3cc

NRL slams vilification of touch judge for crucial Suliasi Vunivalu decision in Raiders clash with Storm: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 07e640fcfb

NRL insist they don’t need ‘Leilua law’ after fireworks mishap in Raiders win over Storm: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 66f64df9e7
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cameron Smith is a flog.

Let the record show that he was almost 2 metres offside in the last play the ball prior to Addo-Carr having the ball dislodged, which ultimately led to Bateman's try. Right in front of Klein too.

Seriously, the Storm got away with a lot of stuff during that game. For Annesley to come out and suggest there were 3 big refereeing errors that went against the Storm, completely belies what happened during the game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That ain't it, chief.
Annesley was 100% spot on, Whitehead should have been binned, and if not him, definitely Croker. And Vunivalu wasnt out. Those were huge plays in the game. As were the storm blowing it on tackle 1 with an obstruction, as was Addo Carr spilling his beans, as was Simo's positioning on the Vinivalu try, as was 10000 other things

And none of it matters. Swings and roundabouts.
They had their chances, we had ours. We came out on top.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good on Elliot for coming out and addressing this Smith and Storm stuff. The NRL are really pushing every single referee issue that went against the Storm, but they chose to ignore some pretty clear Storm forward passes and wrestling during that game. This is why some people think Storm and Cameron Smith get away with a lot that other clubs don’t. Can’t hurt having the public support of the sports CEO to make the NRL staff sit up and take notice.

Some of the media are also calling for Karma to come back for both us and the Storm later in the final series.

If they believe and want Karma, it might be a return of bad luck from the 2016 final loss to the Storm. A game where Wighton got sin binned for a hold down that generally hadn’t been sin binned previously that season. A Blake Austin clearly backwards pass that was called forward. A Storm try was awarded that many commentators thought was from an illegal block play. Hodgson got called for a strip when the Storm lost the ball without interference. Maybe if someone bothers to go back and watch that 2016 game they might think the Raiders got Karma from that game and a number of previously admitted refs errors that have lost us games against the Storm over the years.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: September 16, 2019, 10:53 pm Good on Elliot for coming out and addressing this Smith and Storm stuff. The NRL are really pushing every single referee issue that went against the Storm, but they chose to ignore some pretty clear Storm forward passes and wrestling during that game. This is why some people think Storm and Cameron Smith get away with a lot that other clubs don’t. Can’t hurt having the public support of the sports CEO to make the NRL staff sit up and take notice.

Some of the media are also calling for Karma to come back for both us and the Storm later in the final series.

If they believe and want Karma, it might be a return of bad luck from the 2016 final loss to the Storm. A game where Wighton got sin binned for a hold down that generally hadn’t been sin binned previously that season. A Blake Austin clearly backwards pass that was called forward. A Storm try was awarded that many commentators thought was from an illegal block play. Hodgson got called for a strip when the Storm lost the ball without interference. Maybe if someone bothers to go back and watch that 2016 game they might think the Raiders got Karma from that game and a number of previously admitted refs errors that have lost us games against the Storm over the years.
This week the Storm have found themselves in the shock position of not being able to dictate what was happening on the field, and Cameron Smith was unable to sway the officiating as he's used to. Sure there were mistakes that cost the Storm, which is pretty unusual. The Storm have gone full frontal with the NRL by the looks, given Annesley was talking about how he didn't agree with one of the Storm's claims regarding incorrect decisions. But there were errors that cost the Raiders too.

I think its a valid concern that these admissions today will unconsciously influence thinking in the future. We've often seen it happen. Hopefully, it is not something that comes back to bite the Raiders.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: September 16, 2019, 10:45 pm That ain't it, chief.
Annesley was 100% spot on, Whitehead should have been binned, and if not him, definitely Croker. And Vunivalu wasnt out. Those were huge plays in the game. As were the storm blowing it on tackle 1 with an obstruction, as was Addo Carr spilling his beans, as was Simo's positioning on the Vinivalu try, as was 10000 other things

And none of it matters. Swings and roundabouts.
They had their chances, we had ours. We came out on top.
Whitehead should have been binned, but that Croker situation was milking at its finest. Addo-Carr basically had Croker's arm pinned to his chest. He was called out on it by the ref and rightfully so.

Vunivalu wasn't out. It was bloody close, millimetres in it, but that was one of many decisions for both teams that went one way or another.

But yeah, the result is the result. I don't give a **** about the bad calls. CNK dropped a bomb late in the game when Melbourne had two chasers 3-4 metres offside, they threw a number of forward passes and got away with it, or ended up with a scrum feed, Cameron Smith was regularly offside at the PTB. Who cares. We won the game.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I also think the rapana try where he was called offside is a lot closer than it looked initially because even after the ball was kicked rapana was still coming back and sezer was moving forward. The first freeze frame they used made it look like he was a long way off.

If sezer has chased his kick he would have run him onside for sure.

The flick on from CNK was flatter than a lot of storm passes that were let go.

The problem with what Annesley did is that although he was spot on in his analysis of the things he highlighted, it gives a very skewed perspective of how the game actually went.

I also didn’t agree with Annesley throwing the touch judge under the bus the way he did. Given how close it was it would have been easy to be a bit kinder in his assessment.

Anyway, we won, the storm can have a sook about it. No other ruby league supporter cares at all!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pick, I don't think the kicker can run an offside player 'on' anymore. But I do agree it was a close one. I've seen plenty similar where I've thought a chaser offside and the bunker quickly says 'chasers onside'.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: September 17, 2019, 6:54 am Pick, I don't think the kicker can run an offside player 'on' anymore. But I do agree it was a close one. I've seen plenty similar where I've thought a chaser offside and the bunker quickly says 'chasers onside'.

Yeah, I thought the same things as pick, but I often think this. We discussed this earlier in the year, but is this no longer a rule?? It doesn't seem to be.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If you are in front of the kicker you cannot contest the ball and have to be 10 metres back. The kicker can't run anybody onside.

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

No doubt at all Whitehead should have been binned. Croker, I am not so sure. He goes for a strip, is unsuccessful, then gets his hand caught (side note - going for a one on one strip after conceding a line break might be something to try as it slows down the play the ball considerably). Would have been harsh - though maybe they are saying that it was for not retreating 10? He retreated 8ish. Addo-Carr bombed that play regardless by not passing. I think there is some case for Vunivalu to have been binned when he hit Croker off the ball - not a try scoring situation, but we have seen those binned before, particularly if the player on the receiving end is injured.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: September 17, 2019, 7:31 am If you are in front of the kicker you cannot contest the ball and have to be 10 metres back. The kicker can't run anybody onside.

When did they change that? I suspected they had, but never really knew for certain.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Rickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 17, 2019, 7:31 am If you are in front of the kicker you cannot contest the ball and have to be 10 metres back. The kicker can't run anybody onside.

When did they change that? I suspected they had, but never really knew for certain.
can't be run onside once you encroach the 10m - can be run onside otherwise
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: September 17, 2019, 7:44 am
The Rickman wrote:

Well wasn't Rapana run onside before he encroached the 10??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

That doesn't really make sense. A player in front of the kicker cannot go within 10 metres of the contest or where the ball is caught. If a kicker is injured directly after kicking the ball and every other player was in front of him (therefore he is unable to run anybody onside) they all have to hang back 10 metres from where the ball is received. What I'm trying to say is a kicker cannot run anybody onside.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:

I don't know. Hope that helps.

Maybe after Brett Stewart's 'downtown' try against us, or maybe more recently.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

I don't know. Hope that helps.

Maybe after Brett Stewart's 'downtown' try against us, or maybe more recently.

Brett Stewart's downtown is a completely different scenario, he was in front of the play the ball and is offside for the entire play.
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

We need somebody like Matt to look up the official rules and tell us the exact wording on it so we can argue about it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 17, 2019, 7:26 am
gergreg wrote: September 17, 2019, 6:54 am Pick, I don't think the kicker can run an offside player 'on' anymore. But I do agree it was a close one. I've seen plenty similar where I've thought a chaser offside and the bunker quickly says 'chasers onside'.

Yeah, I thought the same things as pick, but I often think this. We discussed this earlier in the year, but is this no longer a rule?? It doesn't seem to be.
It used to be the interpretation, but now it is black and white. If you’re offside at the kick, you can’t get involved unless you’ve retired the 10m or let the opposition play run 10 metres. The Rapana no try definitely the correct call.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I dunno, those rules are pretty ambiguous haha

A player is offside if he’s in front of a teammate who “last touched or kicked the ball” suggests to me that once you’re back behind that player you’re back onside
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 17, 2019, 8:23 am I dunno, those rules are pretty ambiguous haha

A player is offside if he’s in front of a teammate who “last touched or kicked the ball” suggests to me that once you’re back behind that player you’re back onside
I can see how it could be read that way... but it’s not what they mean.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 17, 2019, 8:23 am I dunno, those rules are pretty ambiguous haha

I can see how it could be read that way... but it’s not what they mean.
Well, I guess I have to concede this one because nobody ever seems to talk about the kicker running the chasers onside anymore and the video ref certainly never checks for it
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think they’ve ditched it because it makes it unnecessarily complicated to monitor and check. Plus there’s the issue of if the kicker is tackled/bumped then you’ve added another judgment as to whether they were sufficiently impaired from going through to run players onside.

So I think the new interpretation is good. They did a **** job of communicating to fans that it changed. It would also appear they’ve done a poor job clarifying it in the rule book.