10%

Total votes: 10

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:31 pm
dubby wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:28 pm I still don't understand why moving the segments to the lime lounge created so much angst.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Because no one reads the Lime Lounge dubby! The joy of it was that it was a part of the game anticipation even if it was only incredibly loosely related to the game, if at all. It was an organic movement spurred on by the Raiders success that was then hidden in a corner and not deemed worthy of the light of day.
Gee your good, pick. I don't know if you want me to vote for you or send you money or whatever, but just let me know and I'LL DO IT!!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

-PJ- wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:38 pm
pickles wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:33 pm
-PJ- wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:10 pm We had a call go our way with the touch line incident no doubt.

But you know what ? I don't care..

There's no guarantee the scum would have scored anyway so life goes on.

What's more concerning is the positioning of the touchie when the short kickoff was taken. That ball only travelled 11-12 metres but the touchie was standing on the halfway line I reckon. He was obscured by the Raiders boys and I'm 100% certain if the touchie was in the correct position to start off with he would have seen quite item clearly SV stayed in the field of play.

He screwed up..but It certainly did not effect the result.
I just rewatched this again and while you can't see a conclusive angle of him touching the sideline his finger (presumably) flicks up a divet and that must have touched the line. I am pretty sure that was what the touchy made the call on and what Wighton and Croker were pointing out to him. I don't think it was a howler, certainly a line ball decision that went our way.
I've seen it 100 times and I'll watch it another 100 times if need be Mr pickles..

He didn't touch the sideline..

Oh..and I read the Lime Lounge..love that joint..pants off thread !!
I certainly don't want to have an argument about this, I just don't think it was a howler. I think it is plausible that his extended pinky finger, below the grass line, has shaved the line and there was a divet to show it. On Saturday night I thought it was a howler and that we'd been hit in the **** by a rainbow and I am still happy to believe that because god knows it's gone the other way plenty of times!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Woodgers wrote:Did we get any info on why Sutton didn't play or why Sia didn't play the 2nd half? It seemed really strange.
Id hazard a guess by the amount of unders lines we ran, stick wanted the most mobile, agile team available to attack the ruck hard

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Was Sutton injured or was Guler a tactical switch?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

-TW- wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:55 pm
Woodgers wrote:Did we get any info on why Sutton didn't play or why Sia didn't play the 2nd half? It seemed really strange.
Id hazard a guess by the amount of unders lines we ran, stick wanted the most mobile, agile team available to attack the ruck hard

Did substitutions have anything to do with it? Commentators were saying something about BJ coming on for Cotric counting even though I would have thought it was a HIA? Could also have been about who he thought were the best attacking options when we were chasing points and might have been different if we were defending a lead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

These are the rugby league boards, thanks. Off topic discussions to the variety of other forums that were set up and designed for those discussions, from the site's inception 15 years ago.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good grief.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

pickles wrote:

Did substitutions have anything to do with it? Commentators were saying something about BJ coming on for Cotric counting even though I would have thought it was a HIA? Could also have been about who he thought were the best attacking options when we were chasing points and might have been different if we were defending a lead.
A failed HIA counts as an interchange

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

-TW- wrote: September 16, 2019, 5:03 pm
pickles wrote:

A failed HIA counts as an interchange

Just checked the stats and we only used 7 across the game so Stuart kept one in the bag for some reason
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

2. Canberra Raiders (3)
A fantastic, gutsy win under tough circumstances in Melbourne. They battled away, they defended, they got in the grind and were rewarded for playing the full 80 minutes. An amazing job by Ricky Stuart to get his team 80 minutes from a grand final.

Annesley says three critical decisions which cost the Melbourne Storm were wrong: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/16/gra ... ls-week-1/

Annesley appeals to NRL fans after abuse of touch judge on social media: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/16/ann ... -nrl-fans/

Moment of the week: John Bateman: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... teman-try/

Raiders.com.au competition to vote for player of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/

By the numbers: Raiders V Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... s-v-storm/
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Three critical decisions in the game that all went our way! I hadn't noticed the Whitehead one live but that was a clear penalty that was missed. Not sure I agree about the sin bin of Croker as the Storm player could have clearly made it a lot easier for him to get his hand out.

Maybe the luck is running our way this year!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote:Three critical decisions in the game that all went our way! I hadn't noticed the Whitehead one live but that was a clear penalty that was missed. Not sure I agree about the sin bin of Croker as the Storm player could have clearly made it a lot easier for him to get his hand out.

Shhh, don’t mention the war, pick
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

pickles wrote:Three critical decisions in the game that all went our way! I hadn't noticed the Whitehead one live but that was a clear penalty that was missed. Not sure I agree about the sin bin of Croker as the Storm player could have clearly made it a lot easier for him to get his hand out.

Watching live I thought the Whitehead one was more sin bin worthy than Crokers.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They both should have gone in a vacuum. Now obviously if whitey goes we probably don’t get Croker sent too

But they were both professional fouls and worthy of a sin bin imo

That said, they weren’t, and despite those calls the storm had plenty of chances to close out the game and couldn’t get it done
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, I’ve never let refereeing decisions get to me, some go your way, and others go their way. At the end of the day, you’ve gotta be better than the referees, and the Storm weren’t.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I dont believe in raking over the coals of a game, but while Annesley may be right about the sin bins missed he should have mentioned the Vunivalu hit on Croker as well.I recall a couple of instances where that got a binning and I reckon Vunivalu deserved it for a cheap shot.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky, I just think all those things even each other out over the course of a game. It’s just the decisions at the end of the game that stick in people’s minds more

If the Vanivulo thing happens in the first five minutes nobody ever mentions it again and it’s certainly not labeled “the worst decision ever” or dubbed a “gangrenous howler”, that’s for certain
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Is someone seriously thinking Croker being wrapped up in that tackle was a sin bin? That was being milked for all it's worth. There was absolutely nothing stopping the Melbourne player from playing the ball.

How ahout that Storm forward pass that led to them getting the scrum feed at a critical point in the game.

There were referee mistakes that advantaged both teams.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Exactly. It’s always that way. And that’s what some of us around here have been trying to say for years but we keep getting shouted down by the fergrenous gang
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:Is someone seriously thinking Croker being wrapped up in that tackle was a sin bin? That was being milked for all it's worth. There was absolutely nothing stopping the Melbourne player from playing the ball.
Storm player had Crokers arm wedged between his ball carrying arm and his chest. Dude could get a job with Dairy Farmers. Shouldn't have been a penalty let alone a sinbinning
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I just watched "roaming Elliott" in the sheds talking to BJ about the match winning try. It was pretty clever smarts from BJ, who let's face it, isn't really known for smart thinking a lot of the time.

BJ basically says he didn't throw it out wide to Sezer or Rapana for two reasons. The first being that he knew the Storm defenders were going to over-chase (resulting in the massive hole opening up for Bateman). Second, he knew they needed 6 points to get the lead, not 4, and Croker was having an off-day with the boot (so the try had to be scored closer to the posts).

Very impressed.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote: Exactly. It’s always that way. And that’s what some of us around here have been trying to say for years but we keep getting shouted down by the fergrenous gang
When was the last time prior to this that the NRL felt they had erred significantly in favour of the Raiders and apologised?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God, this is tiresome.
It's over guys. Just let it go and lets enjoy this journey. (DRINK!)
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 16, 2019, 6:52 pm Is someone seriously thinking Croker being wrapped up in that tackle was a sin bin? That was being milked for all it's worth. There was absolutely nothing stopping the Melbourne player from playing the ball.

How ahout that Storm forward pass that led to them getting the scrum feed at a critical point in the game.

100%, the way some people are carrying on about that touch line play when we got some terrible calls to lead melbourne into the lead.

if that went the other way i guarantee so many people would not be blowing up as much at all. the other touchie missing the forward pass was an easier call to make than the touch line one
raider 4 life
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Finchy wrote: September 16, 2019, 7:31 pm Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I just watched "roaming Elliott" in the sheds talking to BJ about the match winning try. It was pretty clever smarts from BJ, who let's face it, isn't really known for smart thinking a lot of the time.

BJ basically says he didn't throw it out wide to Sezer or Rapana for two reasons. The first being that he knew the Storm defenders were going to over-chase (resulting in the massive hole opening up for Bateman). Second, he knew they needed 6 points to get the lead, not 4, and Croker was having an off-day with the boot (so the try had to be scored closer to the posts).

Very impressed.
The dude's football brain is a part of his game that basically no one will ever rate, due to the brain explosions he has.

I'll tell you now though that the majority of the time he is a very smart footballer, who sees and reads situations very quickly. Very few players in the game would've thought to make that kind of pass or even have the ability to do so in such a do or die moment.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The play was made because Bateman ran the good line. Leilua just had to get home the ball at the right time.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Seiffert82 wrote:The play was made because Bateman ran the good line. Leilua just had to get home the ball at the right time.

It did look like BJ was calling him back inside when he made the run but the storm defenders definitely over committed to the outside.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

1000% agree with the above, i think it was @Pete Cash and i who were talking about this in the game day thread

Beej does some dumb ****, SOME ridiculously dumb ****... but over the years i've come to really understand that he's not a dumb footballer, he's a hot head, and he's one of those guys who can get too excited too quickly and that leads to dumb things bubt for the most part he's actually proven himself to be a very smart footballer, who has created a lot of different tries and chances for this club not because of his physical abilities, but because of his ability to read the game, particularly in attack. He has an inate sense of knowing where the football needs to go and what he needs to do with it. And sometimes he gets himself into trouble trying to achieve that, but this is not a guy with low football IQ. Which is what i thought of him coming into his stint with our club
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Finchy wrote: September 16, 2019, 7:31 pm Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I just watched "roaming Elliott" in the sheds talking to BJ about the match winning try. It was pretty clever smarts from BJ, who let's face it, isn't really known for smart thinking a lot of the time.

Very impressed.
Laughed when Elliot said your dragging it on and walked off !
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Joey signalled for Bateman to come back on the inside and for 2 players who haven’t played much footy together they made it sync beautifully
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Interesting that Annesley is saying not to harrang his touch judge when Annesley himself has said he got the call wrong. I still reckon I saw white blades of grass move (and stills show his hand millimetres from the sideline).

Don’t rugby league experts know that sidelines aren’t flat like a Tennis court and that zoomed cameras distort 3D into 2D?

I’d be furious with my boss if I was the touchjudge.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I still reckon he was clearly and obviously in
And i still reckon i couldnt care less, couldnt give a ****.

Calls come and go, both teams had 80 minutes to win a game of footy, both had enough chances to win and we took enough to get it done and they didnt.
End of story.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders finally cop sin bin break in Melbourne

NRL football boss Graham Annesley said either Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker or second-rower Elliott Whitehead should have been sent to the sin bin for professional fouls in the Green Machine's thrilling 12-10 victory over the Storm.

It makes up for Jack Wighton's controversial 10-minute spell in the 2016 preliminary final in Melbourne.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL calls for end to touch judge abuse over Vunivalu error: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/16/nrl ... alu-error/
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BJ wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:21 pm Interesting that Annesley is saying not to harrang his touch judge when Annesley himself has said he got the call wrong.
Annesley did have a point though. If the touch judge is being harassed, that's not on. And whoever at Fox Sports decided to put a long, close-up shot on the touchie's face for emphasis needs a kick in the shins.

But most of all, if the NRL were serious, they'd be investigating NAS, who posted a picture of the touchie on his social media with clown music, clearly inciting the fanbase. That sort of thing needs to be stamped out immediately. It's not on.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker goes the extra mile

Jarrod Croker went the extra mile to make one fan's night even better on Saturday, climbing up into the stands to get a photo with them after the Green Machine's stunning 12-10 victory over the Storm. The fan was in a wheelchair and to make it easier for him, Croker decided the best option was to jump the fence and climb up.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239