Page 3 of 3

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 4:17 pm
by Billy Walker
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
September 11, 2019, 3:49 pm
BadnMean wrote:
September 10, 2019, 8:24 pm
AUSTEZER wrote:
September 10, 2019, 8:02 pm
I'd prefer Oldiie takes Jordan's place should he defect to Japanese Rugby. Just for his speed alone ,bloke is a rocket in boots.
I don't think Stuart and co see it that way, due to Simo's varied talents and must be a freak in the gym/track/training paddock.

But Oldie knows his game, knows where to put himself and how to reach that stripe. He's been found out as a centre defensively but as a winger he's big, strong and just fine. Same with his carries out. His energy and line busting ability are easily as good or better than SImo's single turn backwards at the line (slow down) hit and spin move. Oldie just crashed through.

I'm even stevens here- Simo is better defensively and hands. Oldie better yards and speed. Simo more potential upside but also potentially never quite get it. Oldie knows league. Does his job- well.

I think it's win-win at this point.
Oldie certainly had his initial struggles at centre, but I reckon he has been better there than Cotric this year.
I really want Cotric to succeed at centre but can’t disagree with your point about Oldie being better in 4 this year.

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 4:40 pm
by The Rickman
Why do you want Cotric to succeed at centre so much when we've already got two quality centres??

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 4:40 pm
by The Rickman
Better question... why do I bother engaging Billy Walker in rational discussion?? I fall for it time and time again.

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 5:04 pm
by gergreg
The key to making this work in our favour is not playing it out in the media. Go do your thing in rugby. Then about mid May when the Japanese rugby season finishes ... 'oh hello Ricky, it appears I do not currently have a contract and you only have 29 players in your squad... Maybe we could come to some sort of agreement for the rest of the season... "

How this is currently being played is when the NRL likes to stamp their authority.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:22 pm
by PigRickman
I dont think it matters, greg.
He's got a right to go and play rugby, he's not contracted to a club, and when he's finished he's free to sign with whomever he wants. I dont see any reason why the NRL would give the faintest **** if we publised it in the damn paper that if healthy he'd come back to us at the end of his rugby deal. As long as we have the cap space and roster stuff sorted, why would they give a ****?

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:38 pm
by Billy Walker
The Rickman wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:40 pm
Why do you want Cotric to succeed at centre so much when we've already got two quality centres??
I wasn’t ignoring you, I didn’t see this question. Cotric is a big bodied centre that would be a handful for any defence if he can get it together. He doesn’t quite have the speed you might want in a winger. I think he could potentially be a very good centre but has only shown glimpses to date.

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 9:35 pm
by gangrenous
PigRickman wrote:I dont think it matters, greg.
He's got a right to go and play rugby, he's not contracted to a club, and when he's finished he's free to sign with whomever he wants. I dont see any reason why the NRL would give the faintest **** if we publised it in the damn paper that if healthy he'd come back to us at the end of his rugby deal. As long as we have the cap space and roster stuff sorted, why would they give a ****?
Because you’re blatantly flaunting the cap?! Naive to think that publishing your intentions doesn’t change the dynamic imo.

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 9:41 pm
by PigRickman
Why is it flaunting the cap?

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:00 pm
by The Rickman
I personally think it’s a rubbish idea and should be illegal

And that has nothing to do with the fact I desperately want to see our blue friend proved wrong again. Absolutely nothing at all

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:01 pm
by gergreg
It's kind of shoving it in the NRLs face. Better off not tempting fate IMO.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:02 pm
by reptar
The Rickman wrote:I personally think it’s a rubbish idea and should be illegal

And that has nothing to do with the fact I desperately want to see our blue friend proved wrong again. Absolutely nothing at all
The Smurfs have foiled Gargamel again?

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:16 pm
by PigRickman
gergreg wrote:
September 11, 2019, 10:01 pm
It's kind of shoving it in the NRLs face. Better off not tempting fate IMO.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
shoving what in their face? Signing a free agent before June 30?

A free agent may go and play some japanese rugby and if he is healthy at the end of that season, he'll make himself available to return to the NRL. Obviously we'll be his preference give this is where his home is now, and if we've got the cap room and roster space and the need at that time im sure we'll engage him... but we may not, because maybe Simo is actually a stud, or maybe we've had to use the cap space and roster spot to plug in a massive injury crisis, or some other more desirable player was flushed out of their club and has now taken up that money and space.

Why would the NRL treat it any differently to the way they treat mid season transfers, where teams take on freight to offload an unwanted player, or the Titans signing Watkins from the ESL?

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 12, 2019, 4:19 pm
by dubby
Jordy has been one of my favorite players ever. I love the guy.

It would hurt to see him in another NRL team.

If he wants mega $$$ in union for a year but comes back here, fine.

In the meantime we have Cotric and Simmonsen.

Life is good.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 12, 2019, 6:39 pm
by gergreg
PigRickman wrote:
gergreg wrote:
September 11, 2019, 10:01 pm
It's kind of shoving it in the NRLs face. Better off not tempting fate IMO.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
shoving what in their face? Signing a free agent before June 30?

A free agent may go and play some japanese rugby and if he is healthy at the end of that season, he'll make himself available to return to the NRL. Obviously we'll be his preference give this is where his home is now, and if we've got the cap room and roster space and the need at that time im sure we'll engage him... but we may not, because maybe Simo is actually a stud, or maybe we've had to use the cap space and roster spot to plug in a massive injury crisis, or some other more desirable player was flushed out of their club and has now taken up that money and space.

Why would the NRL treat it any differently to the way they treat mid season transfers, where teams take on freight to offload an unwanted player, or the Titans signing Watkins from the ESL?
There is nothing wrong with what you are suggesting but I don't know how the NRL would react if there was any sort of agreement for Jordan to go off and play rugby with an agreement in place (already) to come back in May.

Sure they could have a gentleman's agreement to do exactly that but there is no good reason to say it out in the open.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 14, 2019, 5:08 am
by RedRaider
I would prefer Rapa to stay with the Raiders and play out his career here. But if the 30 year old can make better coin playing a few months of Japanese Rugby then I'd wish him well. Imo he is the best right winger the Raiders have ever had. He is playing busted, hence having last week off. He has a limited time left to make some big dollars before his body says 'no more'.

If the plan is to play Rugby in Japan then come back to the Raiders for half a season I hope it works out for both parties.

I don't think the NRL would care about players going to Rugby and then back to League. There are examples such as Matt Rogers and Wendell Sailor doing exactly that and the NRL welcomed them back.

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Posted: September 14, 2019, 5:42 am
by Coastalraider
I get the feeling this all revolves around Sezer.

I can completely understand the team and Sezer putting all of the negotiations or announcements off until after our season is done. Makes sense. It makes perfect sense also for Sezer to take advantage of his current market value as a top 4 half on a multi year deal somewhere else, rather than milk out 12 months at Mounties next year and hit the market at a significantly reduced value.

My concern is that if Sezer digs his feet in and stays and Rapa has to go, then we won’t be able to have a proper farewell match for one of our greatest wingers.