Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: NRL blocks Jordan Rapana's return from Japanese union in 2020

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Rickman wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:18 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:15 am
The Rickman wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:10 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:Unfortunately that solution also has issues. SBW is rumoured to be going to the Wolfback on $2.5 million a season. Say that season ran at a different time than the NRL - he'd essentially be blocked due to his pay packet in the other comp. You'd then have players in other leagues on lower pay being able to skip back and forth. Why should a player be punished for earning their market value?
Because the players on lower salaries aren’t the ones the clubs would be using to circumvent the salary cap with.
Huh? Rapa falls into lower salary in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah, but the whole reason we're trying to do this with Rapana is so we can circumvent his full salary being against the cap... it's no coincidence that now we're not allowed to do this we can all of a sudden afford Joey Leilua.

The NRL should green-light this move, with the amount of Rapana's rugby salary counting against the Raiders' TPAs for 2020. That's what we're talking about here.
Yeah and I'm making a clear point that by doing so you're inadvertently punishing players with higher income earning potential. A player shouldn't have to consider his NRL clubs TPA situation when negotiating his contract- I can't believe anyone would suggest opening this can of worms.

You are clearly thinking of a solution tailored to this situation and not the overall problem.

There are other reasons why this would make no sense under TPAs.

1. The player is in no way representing his club while playing in a rival competition
2. The player would be promoting a rival code while under contract
3. The player would need to be contracted to an NRL team while playing for their other side for this to be any way close to legit. Imagine the conflicts of interests in both parties
4. Players would not be able to take potential incentive based bonuses or renegotiate their contract because of the potential impact on TPAs.
5. Good luck getting into offshore accounts to monitor payments match contract.
6. If a French player wanted to play for a union team rather than in a lower paying league they would be punished by virtue of the higher potential earnings. This gets into murky waters of denying a player based on ethnicity. Wouldn't have been an issue 10 years ago but you can bet it would be argued now.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on November 1, 2019, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:19 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:15 am
The Rickman wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:10 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:Unfortunately that solution also has issues. SBW is rumoured to be going to the Wolfback on $2.5 million a season. Say that season ran at a different time than the NRL - he'd essentially be blocked due to his pay packet in the other comp. You'd then have players in other leagues on lower pay being able to skip back and forth. Why should a player be punished for earning their market value?
Because the players on lower salaries aren’t the ones the clubs would be using to circumvent the salary cap with.
Huh? Rapa falls into lower salary in the grand scheme of things.
Then we should have no problem fitting him back in
Haha yeah, spot on.

Put so much more eloquently than I attempted.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Neither of you answered my question though. Under your rule it's fair for a lesser paid player to do something, but not a well paid player.

How is that fair to the well paid individual? Why are we punshing them for being successful?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2019, 12:05 pm Neither of you answered my question though. Under your rule it's fair for a lesser paid player to do something, but not a well paid player.

How is that fair to the well paid individual? Why are we punshing them for being successful?
Yes, that's right... because teams can't circumvent as much of the salary cap with lesser paid players. If it all counts against TPAs, it makes no difference if you have one SBW player or five Rapana level players, it all adds up... it's the same thing.

Like simo said, if it makes no difference for the lower paid players, why can't the Raiders just slot Rapana back in WITHOUT the rugby stint??
greeneyed
Don Furner

NRL blocks Jordan Rapana's return from Japanese union in 2020

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote:There is a limit each club is allowed in TPAs, surely money you earn in a different code for the same calendar year (or whatever period a standard NRL contract goes over) should ALSO count against that??
No, there is no limit on TPAs. There should be, a few hundred thousand at most. But at present there is no limit.

I’d be comfortable saying Rapana’s union salary is counted as a TPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

I suppose our difference in thinking is that I see this for what it is - a clear attempt by us to circumvent the cap. We've only gone down this path because we couldn't find the money to sign Rapana.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2019, 12:14 pm
The Rickman wrote:There is a limit each club is allowed in TPAs, surely money you earn in a different code for the same calendar year (or whatever period a standard NRL contract goes over) should ALSO count against that??
No, there is no limit on TPAs. There should be, a few hundred thousand at most. But at present there is no limit.

So you'd have Rapana as an employee of the Raiders promoting Rugby Union in Japan? Wow, never thought I'd hear that from you GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:

So you'd have Rapana as an employee of the Raiders promoting Rugby Union in Japan? Wow, never thought I'd hear that from you GE.
No I’m not. I’m just saying all this is a bit silly.

What I’d like is TPAs to be subject to the cap. First limited to a few hundred thousand so all clubs are equalised over a short period. Then wound into the cap.

Then, if there’s a ruling that you can’t play in another code and join mid season... on what is a six month market value contract... then that should apply to EVERYONE. At the moment, high profile players or clubs are allowed to do it... but not others.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2019, 12:33 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

No I’m not. I’m just saying all this is a bit silly.

What I’d like is TPAs to be subject to the cap. First limited to a few hundred thousand so all clubs are equalised over a short period. Then wound into the cap.

Then, if there’s a ruling that you can’t play in another code and join mid season... on what is a six month market value contract... then that should apply to EVERYONE. At the moment, high profile players or clubs are allowed to do it... but not others.

Yup I agree. I lean more towards denying this type of deal for all, but as you say in the past it has been given the okay on multiple occasions.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2019, 12:22 pm I suppose our difference in thinking is that I see this for what it is - a clear attempt by us to circumvent the cap. We've only gone down this path because we couldn't find the money to sign Rapana.
Then we're on the same page, I see it as the same thing. Weird, not sure why you thought I was arguing otherwise.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

The Rickman wrote: November 1, 2019, 2:55 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2019, 12:22 pm I suppose our difference in thinking is that I see this for what it is - a clear attempt by us to circumvent the cap. We've only gone down this path because we couldn't find the money to sign Rapana.
Then we're on the same page, I see it as the same thing. Weird, not sure why you thought I was arguing otherwise.
Then I suppose the difference is I don't see what difference it makes what the player earns when they are in another comp. It's completely independent of what they'd earn in the NRL to me.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I can't remember the details of the article suggesting the NRL would block the deal but what are they actually blocking? There have been other recent cases where the NRL has been asked to adjudicate on specific situations and they've Baghdad Bob'ed saying they don't need to make a decision until a contract has been submitted to them, and none has.

Surely this club isn't stupid enough to have already done that for mid next season?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:Yeah, this shouldnt be about his stint in union, he's not contracted, they have no right to dictate to him how his career goes
If he plays union, and wants to come back and play RL when that contract is finished, he should be allowed to do so... now the market value question is fair and valid and i dont mind the NRL doing that

All i ask of them is that they keep that same energy about market value when say, the Roosters attempt to lodge a deal for Luke Keary for under what a club like the Titans or Bulldogs would offer him
That's the thing though. They won't. You know it. I know it. The clubs know it. The NRL knows it. Case en pointe, Milford signing for Brisbane on a third of what we offered him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Botman wrote:Yeah, this shouldnt be about his stint in union, he's not contracted, they have no right to dictate to him how his career goes
If he plays union, and wants to come back and play RL when that contract is finished, he should be allowed to do so... now the market value question is fair and valid and i dont mind the NRL doing that

All i ask of them is that they keep that same energy about market value when say, the Roosters attempt to lodge a deal for Luke Keary for under what a club like the Titans or Bulldogs would offer him
That's the thing though. They won't. You know it. I know it. The clubs know it. The NRL knows it. Case en pointe, Milford signing for Brisbane on a third of what we offered him.
Any club that has had a period of success has only had that success because of players willing to remain with the club for less than they could receive elsewhere. Storm, Roosters recently - before then Manly and as far back as the Broncos and the Raiders. But all of a sudden the NRL wants to tell clubs - ah no 1 club - how much a player is worth, in their opinion.

Never change NRL. No actually, you need to change you **** morons.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Arrived in Japan today btw, by the looks of Instagram.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I now dub thee Japana until his return.

I’d be curious to know, Pre-Sunwolves disbanding, how were they perceived by the Japanese fans? I mean, if they had it set up so the Sunwolves were the best players from the Union comp, that would have been good, but I can understand any confusion there
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Just caught up on this news... for the NRL to block this is stupid imo. As long as he's registered before the cutoff at the end of June, it should be fine. We miss out on over 6 months of his contract year on his services, so why would it be a problem if he came back, as long as he doesn't break our cap to do so? It would be good to hear some kind of logical explanation from the NRL on this ruling...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Without going through all prior pages can somebody please paraphrase what rule prevents Rapana from playing NRL next year?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The one about contracts needing to be for a reasonable market value.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Well lucky the Roosters are offering Latrell what the market are offering him then hey?!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are they offering him a 6th of his prior contract value?

Let’s not get cute.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:The one about contracts needing to be for a reasonable market value.
Genuine question because I seriously don't know. Is this anywhere in the NRL rulebook or guidelines?

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: November 3, 2019, 6:43 pm Are they offering him a 6th of his prior contract value?

Let’s not get cute.
Does it matter? Is the rule "market value" or "close enough to market value that we're ok with it"
I get that there is levels to this and at some point you're just waving it in their face... but what is market value for a 30 year old winger, whose playing half a season of footy?

And were we offering a 6th of Rapana's prior contract value?
Asking for a friend
This is the sort of **** that actually really drives me insane.

To me, you're either about market value, or your not... and if your not, then **** off out of this ****, and if you are, then be really about it and enforce it. And im OK with the latter. But that means Latrell isnt signing a deal that pays him less than the yearly average of the 11m/10yr deal that is absolutely on the table for him.

Or tell us the margin of error. It's got to be within what? 10-15% of market value? Iron that **** out, otherwise it appears, and very much is like you're making it up as you go. Which is not how a professional organisation runs itself
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sounds like you’re blowing in the wind piggles? Last week you were telling me I couldn’t ask a guy to take a haircut to win a premiership, it just doesn’t happen. This week it’s so prevalent that you feel there needs to be a precise rule on it rather than the odd event where the nrl can just step in and say “nah not registering that, it’s ridiculous unders”?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Again, i didnt say you couldnt ASK for a guy take a haircut. I said you couldnt realistically EXPECT it to happen and it VERY rarely does. I made that expressely clear.

And it's not prevalent and i never said it was, and not here either. But if the NRL wants to legislate against it on the basis of market value, then dont do it for one case, which is, as i've said, a very rare case, do it properly and do it for everything.

You're all over the shop here, Gangers. As usual. You're too hung up on trying to get the ellusive W that you're jumping at shadows. You hate to see it.

The point of a hard salary cap is to to have hard, black and white rules about what is and what isnt. There is no ambugity in salary cap rules. Rules are rules are rules. That's how EVERY other league around the world with a salary cap operates. You either oeprate within them, or you dont. And if you dont, the punishments are harsh and severe. So either market value is a rule, or it's not. Either Rapana gets to assess the market value and make a decision that is best for his career and his personal circumstance and you trust your cap auditors to sniff out cheating, or you say we cant do it, and market value is our deal and thus, Latrell isnt getting to sign for the roosters for 90c on the dollar.

You dont get to pick and choose when to apply rules as it relates to a hard salary cap.
Tell me the rules and ill live by them. When the rules change or are applied inconsistently, thats where most fans have concerns.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: You're all over the shop here, Gangers. As usual. You're too hung up on trying to get the ellusive W that you're jumping at shadows. You hate to see it.
How am I all over the shop exactly? Image
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I guess it's all just very inconsistent with your posting history.... Feels like the NRL abritraily applying a NOT rule that impacts the Raiders is right in your zone!

i'll stick to this
Botman wrote: November 3, 2019, 8:37 pm The point of a hard salary cap is to to have hard, black and white rules about what is and what isnt. There is no ambugity in salary cap rules. Rules are rules are rules. That's how EVERY other league around the world with a salary cap operates. You either oeprate within them, or you dont. And if you dont, the punishments are harsh and severe. So either market value is a rule, or it's not. Either Rapana gets to assess the market value and make a decision that is best for his career and his personal circumstance and you trust your cap auditors to sniff out cheating, or you say we cant do it, and market value is our deal and thus, Latrell isnt getting to sign for the roosters for 90c on the dollar.

You dont get to pick and choose when to apply rules as it relates to a hard salary cap.
Tell me the rules and ill live by them. When the rules change or are applied inconsistently, thats where most fans have concerns.
and again, im good with rules. I like rules. Tell me them and ill live them them. If market value is a rule, lets dance. Otherwise, **** the **** **** off and let the teams cook and investigate thoroughly and it's above board, then that's it.

Either you let players assess the actual MARKET and make their own personal choices, based on that market and their circumstances, or you say, as a governing body - "WE determine the market, and you should be paid at that level or within x% of that level"
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:I guess it's all just very inconsistent with your posting history.... Feels like the NRL abritraily applying a NOT rule that impacts the Raiders is right in your zone!
Thought you might struggle since I’d barely written anything at all of my own opinion.

A black and white rule would be wonderful, but extremely difficult to write.

I don’t have a problem with blocking this, it’s an obvious circumvention of the cap. Similarly they should have blocked Gasnier, SBW, and Hayne. Those were bad decisions.

I’m happy to go with a black and white rule if someone can come up with a solid framework that is practical. That’s clearly a much more desirable state. Until then best option is NRL to make judgement calls in cases with ambiguity. I doubt very much that will work out well for the Raiders. But I’m not going to lose any sleep over the present scenario though.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given the broke their own rules with Gasnier and Hayne... the NRL is left with no clothes.

They need to actually set down what the rules actually are. Tell us openly and transparently... and admit, if necessary that what they’ve done in the past was wrong. Tell us they won’t be inconsistent going forward. Promise us. What’s happening is a farce.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So the NRL isn’t actually stopping Rapana playing for the Raiders next season. They’re just trying to dictate how much he should be paid.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: November 3, 2019, 10:37 pm So the NRL isn’t actually stopping Rapana playing for the Raiders next season. They’re just trying to dictate how much he should be paid.
I am not certain we know for sure. I’ve not seen any quote from any NRL official on it.

Probably as there is no contract proposal for the NRL to reject ATM.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think part of any NRL decision would be how long a contract was for. I am sure they wouldn’t approve a contract just for the end of 2020 which allows him to go back to Japan next summer.

If he was to rejoin to the end of 2021 - potentially different story.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: November 4, 2019, 6:28 am I think part of any NRL decision would be how long a contract was for. I am sure they wouldn’t approve a contract just for the end of 2020 which allows him to go back to Japan next summer.

If he was to rejoin to the end of 2021 - potentially different story.
Easy to overcome that. Rapana signs till end of 2021 but asks for a release at the end of 2020.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

So there are two things which don't make any sense in this decision by the NRL and that's:

a) how are the NRL judging Rapana's supposed market value for a <6 month contract? The fact that he's getting paid $500k to play in a competition that is not only a completely different sport, but known to pay players at wildly inflated values? Because $110k for less than 6 months doesn't seem like wild unders for a winger who is 31 next year to me. That's $250k for a full season, for a player who probably wouldn't warrant being paid any more than say $350k by other clubs...

and b) why are other clubs allowed to carry players on less than what they'd receive on the market and we're not? Why do the NRL even have this ridiculously nonsensical rule in the first place? In bigger organisations with salary caps, such as the NBA, nobody is stopping players from taking less money at teams for a shot at a ring... it literally happens all the time.

This, along with the inconsistency in their ruling, just goes to show how incredibly unprofessional the organisation is imo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2019, 9:56 pm Given the broke their own rules with Gasnier and Hayne... the NRL is left with no clothes.

They need to actually set down what the rules actually are. Tell us openly and transparently... and admit, if necessary that what they’ve done in the past was wrong.
100% agree on this.
That said, like Gangers, whilst this stuff really annoys me, this specifically isnt something im losing sleep over, as much as i love Rapana and all he's done for the club, i think the years of his physical playing style has worn on him, and he's a bit of a shell of himself so i dont think we're taking a huge loss on the paddock here