All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by CJ42 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 7, 2019, 1:28 pm
GreenMachine wrote:
CJ42 wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:55 am He’s going to take a pay cut to stay is my guess, champion bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
That’s my reading of it.
Why not. We’re a genuine chance next year if we work hard.
The more I think about it, the more I feel next year is ours for the taking. Roosters will be without Cronk and maybe Friend if he goes to Bulldogs. Storm will have Smith who’s another year older. Those two are due for a bit of a rebuild.
We’re looking like we’re relatively stable, except this Williams/Sezer switch.
if our only major changes are something like williams in for sezer and cotric shifting to centre with simonsson starting, we should be favorites next year.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Wiki Special wrote: October 7, 2019, 1:31 pm Is there any way he can earn his dollars in Japan and come back for half a year on the cheap in 2020?
exactly what was being hugely considered. round 8 back here. but my guess is that was with us winning the comp.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by LastRaider »

Yeah I think after reviewing the season I would like to see Rapana stay now and move on BJ.

That way we have Cotric in centre and Rapana on the wing (good mix of experience) and Croker and Simmonson on the other.

Settles the changes to just one and as they have played together in these positions ensures fluency in attack
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Why move on BJ who is still playing great footy- with further improvement still to come since he's just coming back from a major neck surgery and isn't as fit/strong as he will be after a pre-season proper... 28 years old.

Why move him on but keep a 30 year old winger who has lost his pace and ability to shrug the markers off? Rapa is as wholehearted as they come but he's lost his physical edge.

From a football perspective, one is still top 3 in his position in the NRL, at his peak and trending up. One is middle of the road now and trending down.

If I have to pick, I pick BJ. We're not even in the final if he didn't make it back imo. Then he makes 2 line breaks and 5 tackle busts in the GF, against the best defensive team in the comp (2nd best?) in the kind of game where line breaks and chances are at a premium but you want to move him on? Madness.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:58 am Why move on BJ who is still playing great footy- with further improvement still to come since he's just coming back from a major neck surgery and isn't as fit/strong as he will be after a pre-season proper... 28 years old.

Why move him on but keep a 30 year old winger who has lost his pace and ability to shrug the markers off? Rapa is as wholehearted as they come but he's lost his physical edge.

From a football perspective, one is still top 3 in his position in the NRL, at his peak and trending up. One is middle of the road now and trending down.

If I have to pick, I pick BJ. We're not even in the final if he didn't make it back imo. Then he makes 2 line breaks and 5 tackle busts in the GF, against the best defensive team in the comp (2nd best?) in the kind of game where line breaks and chances are at a premium but you want to move him on? Madness.
I agree with this to be honest.

And rapana is one of my favourites in green.

I like rapana a lot more then bj, I like winning a lot more then both.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I agree BJ is more important than Raps. I dont want to lose either but if I have to choose then Id rather keep BJ. I would like to see him set a goal of gaining SOO selection. I think he can do it.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

The talk of Leilua moving on went very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by LastRaider »

My decision is more based on Cotric or BJ in centre for 2020. I give Cotric the edge as he has more discipline and can break tackles as good as BJ.

Cotric is wasted staying on the wing another season. He needs to get the ball more
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

I'm not sure what's going on with Rapana. He used to break every tackle and his fend was at one time indefensible, now he looks like a run of the mill winger, can't even push his nose through the line anymore. Still, he has given great service to the Green and I would like to see him re-signed just in case his form comes good again.

BJ is the one player we must hang on to. Yeah he's rocks and diamonds but when in form he's the best centre in the NRL, even better than Mitchell. Players like BJ are rare and rarely want to come and play in Canberra, so when they do it's vital that we do everything we can to keep them. I would rather see Croker go before BJ.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

LastRaider wrote: October 8, 2019, 1:50 pm Cotric is wasted staying on the wing another season. He needs to get the ball more
BJ and Cotric in the centres and move Croker to the wing?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: October 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
LastRaider wrote: October 8, 2019, 1:50 pm Cotric is wasted staying on the wing another season. He needs to get the ball more
Welcome to another off season. Don't you ever change Greenhouse, you're perfect.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2019, 2:13 pm
rayden83 wrote: October 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
Welcome to another off season. Don't you ever change Greenhouse, you're perfect.
Why the theatrics? You just swap positions, and get a bigger , faster body more ball. I personally wouldnt make the adjustment but it was just an idea. Ideas are good , like that idea that guy had once to move Wighton to the halves. Some said he crazy, but turn out he a mad genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cause this has been raised every off season since he debuted..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I think teams are a lot more alert in their ruck defence these days regarding our dummy half runs, which has nulified both Raps and Nick to an extent. I don't think it's a coincidence that both all of a sudden don't look anywhere near as dangerous as they were 1-2 years ago.

At this point in time I think it's important to keep BJ as a strike weapon and x factor. We'd save a good million or more without Raps and Sezer, without taking much of a hit to our performance IMO. There's plenty of time left to shift Cotric to centre at some point down the track.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cotric at centre has not been as dangerous as a fit Leilua. It has probably been Cotric’s “worst” season this year... and when I say that, it’s a season where he’s rightly earned Blues and Kangaroos selection. So that’s the level of his talent. But his previous two seasons were better than this one IMO (recognising he has had to move positions quite a bit).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think for me, what we lost defensively during the period of Cotric at centre is significant
It may be that Simo gets a better handle on our defensive structures in terms of the jamming, but there was just too many miscommunications on that side when he was defending out there for me to feel super confident about that until i see it

Cotric is so god damn good at reading things defensively and understanding when Wighton and Croker are going to come up and jam.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

As dangerous as BJ can be, he's got a lot of mistakes and on-field discipline issues that come with him. IMO this is something we need to fix, I don't realistically know how likely it is that we can do that, if we can't then the other option is to move him on.

Whatever else he did in the GF, I think we would've scored in the corner if BJ had passed it earlier, and the last Roosters try wouldn't have happened if he was present in the defensive line instead of having rushed up earlier. There's enough that goes into the equation that I'm not going to pin the loss entirely on him, though in that game I think he cost us more than he gave us.

Maybe we're the ones that win that game 14-8 if a different player was in his position, maybe we don't. He's a rocks and diamonds player, the diamonds are great but those rocks can be devastating...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jordan Rapana missing at Raiders fan day ... but reveals where he will be playing in 2020

Canberra winger Jordan Rapana has been heavily linked with a switch to Japanese rugby union but said, after losing the premiership decider on Sunday, that he wanted to stay with the Green Machine.

“I’ll be back here in the lime green next year, without a doubt,” Rapana told ABC radio.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 57fe2299d3

Rapana hatches short-term rugby plot to return to Raiders

Canberra's international winger Jordan Rapana is keen to make a temporary switch to rugby before returning to the Raiders.

"I just can't leave now. I want to stay here and win a premiership with these boys – that's my goal, that's always been my goal in the six years I've been here."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/09/rap ... o-raiders/
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sterlk wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:13 am As dangerous as BJ can be, he's got a lot of mistakes and on-field discipline issues that come with him. IMO this is something we need to fix, I don't realistically know how likely it is that we can do that, if we can't then the other option is to move him on.

Whatever else he did in the GF, I think we would've scored in the corner if BJ had passed it earlier, and the last Roosters try wouldn't have happened if he was present in the defensive line instead of having rushed up earlier. There's enough that goes into the equation that I'm not going to pin the loss entirely on him, though in that game I think he cost us more than he gave us.

Maybe we're the ones that win that game 14-8 if a different player was in his position, maybe we don't. He's a rocks and diamonds player, the diamonds are great but those rocks can be devastating...
Rushed up? He came out and made a tackle around the legs... THAT'S why he's out of the line. Not like he was skiving. You get a quick play the ball if you land on your front, which combined with the slide momentum of making the scything tackle takes Joey where we can't get back to marker. Roosters are smart and realise he isn't in the line and go straight there and execute perfectly.

If anything, you blame the rest of the team for not covering a man who had to come out to make the tackle previous, as happens every 2nd play in the game. Seriously clutching at straws if you want to claim Joey is at fault for "rushing out" (making a key tackle) in that sequence.

What is this crap?
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Rapana wants to stay with Raiders

Post by BJ »

Tedesco’s try was setup by the break in the play before.

BJ and the right edge were just trying to scramble as best they could. It still took a good pass from Latrell.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Sterlk wrote:As dangerous as BJ can be, he's got a lot of mistakes and on-field discipline issues that come with him. IMO this is something we need to fix, I don't realistically know how likely it is that we can do that, if we can't then the other option is to move him on.

Yeah the club now needs to find consistency in what there players produce. It was probably the difference between us and the roosters on GF night.

For what BJ offers and that’s his ability to break tackles, I think Cotric isn’t that far behind him and for what they both offer I would prefer to have Cotric over BJ in the centres at this stage. Cotric has far more diamonds in his game then rocks and BJ has equal rocks and diamonds!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: October 9, 2019, 11:09 am
Sterlk wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:13 am As dangerous as BJ can be, he's got a lot of mistakes and on-field discipline issues that come with him. IMO this is something we need to fix, I don't realistically know how likely it is that we can do that, if we can't then the other option is to move him on.

Rushed up? He came out and made a tackle around the legs... THAT'S why he's out of the line. Not like he was skiving. You get a quick play the ball if you land on your front, which combined with the slide momentum of making the scything tackle takes Joey where we can't get back to marker. Roosters are smart and realise he isn't in the line and go straight there and execute perfectly.

If anything, you blame the rest of the team for not covering a man who had to come out to make the tackle previous, as happens every 2nd play in the game. Seriously clutching at straws if you want to claim Joey is at fault for "rushing out" (making a key tackle) in that sequence.

What is this crap?
It's exactly that. Crap.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Keary, Latrell, Tupou and Teddy not exactly bums when a chance to exploit an unorganised edge either.
I've go zero interest in watching that try replay but remember well enough Sezer posted on the wing facing a 2 on one with Latrell drawing him
Edrick The Entertainer
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

bonehead wrote: October 9, 2019, 12:41 pm Keary, Latrell, Tupou and Teddy not exactly bums when a chance to exploit an unorganised edge either.
I've go zero interest in watching that try replay but remember well enough Sezer posted on the wing facing a 2 on one with Latrell drawing him
We were better off if Sezer stayed with the winger, Latrell was covered and Sezer got no one. But he's also not a winger. Was just good play by the Roosters, well identified by Keary and well executed all the way down the line.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Boomercm wrote: October 9, 2019, 5:52 pm
bonehead wrote: October 9, 2019, 12:41 pm Keary, Latrell, Tupou and Teddy not exactly bums when a chance to exploit an unorganised edge either.
We were better off if Sezer stayed with the winger, Latrell was covered and Sezer got no one. But he's also not a winger. Was just good play by the Roosters, well identified by Keary and well executed all the way down the line.
Yeah the numbers were actually there. The issue was more Sezer out of position on the wing and thinking Latrell was on the outside of Rapana. Rapana actually tackles him and Sezer is caught in no man's land.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, our defensive line was a shambles after the dud call and the Roosters exploited it well. Blaming a single player for the situation is Bull.

I'm just pleasantly surprised that Croker wasn't somehow blamed for it this time.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Beej being blamed for doing a legs tackle on Cordner (i think im never watching it again) is quite the take.

Our line was shot so we couldn't get a good wrestle on. The modern game punishes good tackles
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

God, so i've seen someone float Croker to the wing and ive seen both Sezer and Beej blamed for the game winning try
It's the off season alright.

Shine on, you beautiful, crazy, **** stupid GH!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 9, 2019, 6:04 pm Yep, our defensive line was a shambles after the dud call and the Roosters exploited it well. Blaming a single player for the situation is Bull.

I'm just pleasantly surprised that Croker wasn't somehow blamed for it this time.
Haha remember how Billy Walker and his boys continually told us Croker was going to lose us a big game with his defence and/or goalkicking??

Still waiting.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 9:43 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 9, 2019, 6:04 pm Yep, our defensive line was a shambles after the dud call and the Roosters exploited it well. Blaming a single player for the situation is Bull.

Haha remember how Billy Walker and his boys continually told us Croker was going to lose us a big game with his defence and/or goalkicking??

Still waiting.
He played well and kicked truly which was very pleasing to see.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think the raiders have played this very well and hold all the cards in both these negotiations with Raps and BJ. Neither would be expecting an upgrade, nobody will truly scream if one or both are cut and there is a fair chance both could be in green on terms that better suit the club going forward. Been very well handled I’d say regardless of outcome from here.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: October 10, 2019, 9:58 am

Still waiting.
Stop cutting yourself.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Still waiting.
Stop cutting yourself.
:nooo
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:

Still waiting.
Stop cutting yourself.
We won’t mention the Souths game though...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

LastRaider wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:13 am
Billy Walker wrote:
The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 9:43 am Haha remember how Billy Walker and his boys continually told us Croker was going to lose us a big game with his defence and/or goalkicking??

Still waiting.
Stop cutting yourself.
We won’t mention the Souths game though...
He lost us the game with his defence and/or goalkicking did he??

Huh, could've swore we won.