Moderator: GH Moderators

Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Jordan Rapana re-joins Canberra Raiders for 2020 on short-term deal

Post by Walter »

This has just appeared in the paper!

Canberra Raiders star Jordan Rapana eyes shock Japan rugby union switch

Canberra star Jordan Rapana is deep in negotiations to make a shock cross-code switch to rugby union in Japan. Rapana is likely to join Panasonic Wild Knights, the Japanese franchise coached by former Wallabies and Crusaders mentor Robbie Deans.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/raider ... 52oxu.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby switch

Post by T_R »

Bit of a glamour club in Japanese rugby, but located in a complete armpit of a city

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Well if he’s going to leave us it’s not the worst option. I’d hate to see him running around against us. Hope he takes the raiders deal but would understand if he wants to maximise his earnings in the last few years of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Rapana has been one of the shining lights for the raiders over the past 5 years. Great human! Handy footballer too. That all said simonsson is a must for a wing spot next year and if u had to choose between rapa and BS and consider that rapa would prob command circa 200k more p.a., i think youd have to opt for the youngster
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I doubt any NRL clubs with a sniff of a premiership could offer what he wants

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I hope he doesn't eye it too hard, Hudson might scratch his hopes
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I am not as sold on Simo as most so I will be disappointed if this happens but at the same time he has to look after himself.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d say it’s sayonara Rapana san!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

A blue friend of mine told me about this about a week ago, said the plan was for him to play Jap Rugby and then come back into the Raiders team before june 30 to finish the season off with us on a reduced deal
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: September 7, 2019, 8:13 pm A blue friend of mine told me about this about a week ago, said the plan was for him to play Jap Rugby and then come back into the Raiders team before june 30 to finish the season off with us on a reduced deal
Not a bad option for both parties if they can make it happen. Would we need to keep a spot in the 30 for him or cut a player to make it happen?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by -TW- »

They kept the 30th spot open until the 11th hour this year

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The dates work. He'll be finished up there by end of May https://www.top-league.jp/2019-2020-format/

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well that's a crappy end to a crappy day.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

We’ll already be down a player in the squad with Hudson likely getting a loooooong lay-off

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Worth noting, the running joke amongst the boys and this guy is that he should spit in the face of the guy feeding him this info because he's never got one right... so it would be a stunning upset if he had the good oil on this :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: September 7, 2019, 8:23 pm Worth noting, the running joke amongst the boys and this guy is that he should spit in the face of the guy feeding him this info because he's never got one right... so it would be a stunning upset if he had the good oil on this :lol:
It makes great sense. Japanese Rugby won’t be too hard on Raps body but will give him the coin he deserves that we might not be able to afford. If he’s in form, injury free and we need a winger then back he comes and happy days!!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

To be fair, he's looked busted all year. Union payday would be well deserved.

He can't really shrug off the first marker anymore or stretch out in space. Still a damn good finisher though.

I'd wish him well and welcome Simonsen into the team.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Japanese Rugby would be great on his body. He can kick ok so would hardly get tackled and might have to make a tackle every third week. The genuine concern would be that he wouldn’t be game hardened and would struggle to make the step back up to NRL.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Agree with most on here, I’d much rather keep simonsen and retain the younger players like smith-shields and kris then spend big bucks on Rapana
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We should be aiming to compete for a Premiership the next two years. That means you retain the better player, not the younger one.

I'm guessing this is a worst case if they can't find a taker for Sezer.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’ve said this before but next year will see us better placed to win the comp.

With a new half and more experience under our belts, we should be going all in on keeping Rapana next season.

He’s our best winger, the off-season will do his body plenty of good and he’ll come back strong. Still capable of playing elite level football so I want him here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:07 pm I’ve said this before but next year will see us better placed to win the comp.
For teams like the roosters, or storm, with their level of consistency, they get the BOTD on building into those runs
We're just as likely to run 10th as we are 3rd next year. I dont have a great deal of confidence in this club doing the whole "incrimental" improvement thing

But on paper you're right, assuming George Williams is a quality NRL half
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I like Rapana, but I’d be happy for him if this is what he wants.
I don’t think the club should be paying a kings ransom to keep him.
Simonsson will make an excellent replacement.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:11 pm
yeh raiders wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:07 pm I’ve said this before but next year will see us better placed to win the comp.
For teams like the roosters, or storm, with their level of consistency, they get the BOTD on building into those runs
We're just as likely to run 10th as we are 3rd next year. I dont have a great deal of confidence in this club doing the whole "incrimental" improvement thing

But on paper you're right, assuming George Williams is a quality NRL half
I understand the scepticism.

But I’d like to think the club has turned a corner with the roster that has been built (most recently, the professional English reps and effort players like CNK) and the resulting improved culture.

The Storm are the perfect example of a club who lose key individuals and just seamlessly overcome it. I don’t pretend we’re at that level (which is part of the reason why Rapana is important), but I’m just confident we’ve got a group of players who are mostly true professionals and will only benefit next year with experience.

No Dugan, Fergo, Austin, Paulo, Buttriss etc.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

To be honest, I’m not concerned he is going. More so how we offered $500k a season to stay and he turned us down as he thought he could get more from another club.

It was a fair offer and he shoved it in our face. Bye Rapana
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: September 7, 2019, 10:00 pm To be honest, I’m not concerned he is going. More so how we offered $500k a season to stay and he turned us down as he thought he could get more from another club.

It was a fair offer and he shoved it in our face. Bye Rapana
:roll:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:Bit of a glamour club in Japanese rugby, but located in a complete armpit of a city

Not being smart, but how do you get a glamour club in an armpit of a city? What city is it anyway?

I thought all Japanese cities would be better then anything we could do, TBH.

Good on him, if he goes. His body seems slightly battered these days, he's 30, and a wing combo of Cotric and Simmonsen is quality anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Do you ever consider that maybe these types of stories get leaked to see what the reaction is?
"Ok, so Im not really wanted, maybe I will go".
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A "glamour rugby union club" is an oxymoron.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

The Raiders should look for a quality winger to replace Rapana
Sivo comes to mind
There are players like oldfield Simonsson or kris who jump straight in

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I think the biggest downside to this is not having Rapana around for Cotric and Simmonsson to learn from.

I don't think he'll be missed too much on the field.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

JordyRapa...

Firstly..id like you hang around.

Second..Thank you for your wonderful service over the past few years. Even through our darkest periods you were sensational, arguably our best player week in week out. Your work from our own end, carrying the ball and of course the silky skills and ability to find the tryline.

NZ representation earned while wearing our jersey..you've been awesome !!

Good luck Jordan Rapana and thanks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Everybody here seems to be taking this article as gospel, and that it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

I'm still holding out hope that he'll stick around, but now I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If he goes there, bags some cash and then returns it’s probably the best outcome for him and us.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sterlk wrote:Everybody here seems to be taking this article as gospel, and that it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

I'm still holding out hope that he'll stick around, but now I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
I know from gossip that he's been sniffing around just about everywhere for a contract. I'd given up on him staying months ago (and figured he'd be on the Gold Coast or playing for the Reds).