All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL blocks Jordan Rapana's return from Japanese union in 2020

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 29, 2019, 8:07 pm
Botman wrote:It is. Which is why i was fairly confident they wouldnt worry about this.
The club, if when the time is right, should make a considerable song and dance about that, and if nothing else, try to ensure if this is how it's going to be, then it's going to be for everyone...including, say Val Holmes who's going to play another code up until Christmas before coming to RL...
The difference with Val is he is allegedly being offered a million by the cowboys.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yeah i guess but he's going to be engaged in another code going into the new year. Are we about it? Or are we not?
Is it about the not facilitating our stars from playing and promoting over codes, or is it about market value?

If it's about market value, well market value isnt what someone at NRL HQ arbitrarily decides, elsewise being a real estate agent would be much easier! Haha. The MARKET determines the value, thats... kind of the **** point haha. If he comes back from Japanese Rugby fit and healthy and ready to contribute for half a year of RL and he's not contracted to a RU team... then let the market decide his value and if he wants to take under that, why is that any different to any player taking less to stay home?
Is the NRL going to say no bueno when Luke Keary signs for 1mil a year when the Titoons can and have, hypothetically offer 1.2mil?

Does this mean all offers now should be made through an independent body and players can only sign for the value of their highest offer? Ok, lets dance with that. Ill dance with girl... i think that'd be **** great for us.

If it's about the code and not letting players jump around. Cool... but set the standard and apply it forcefully. Which means, if Val Holmes is being paid by the NY Jets on Nov 1. He's done for 2020. See you in 2021, my friend.
Look I agree with everything you say. My comment was just me spitballing what the NRL is thinking on this issue.

Could this be a catalyst moment where some posters realise that some teams are treated very differently to others in this Mickey mouse competition? GE I think has an opinion on this but I don't think I've heard it before.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

gergreg wrote: October 29, 2019, 8:07 pm
Botman wrote:It is. Which is why i was fairly confident they wouldnt worry about this.
The club, if when the time is right, should make a considerable song and dance about that, and if nothing else, try to ensure if this is how it's going to be, then it's going to be for everyone...including, say Val Holmes who's going to play another code up until Christmas before coming to RL...
The difference with Val is he is allegedly being offered a million by the cowboys.

Exactly. It's the market value part of the equation that makes the difference.

As.long as they are being paid their value pro rata based on how much of the year they are playing I'm sure it would get the tick.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Reasonable move. The way the NRL bent over to allow the likes of Gasnier back for well under market value was as dodgy as all hell.

You can't open up situations where clubs can pay teams in foreign (or local) leagues money to pay players significant cash outside of the salary cap, with an intention of hiring them back for peanuts part way through the season. It's a cap rort of the highest order. They should never have allowed the Dragons to do it with Gasnier. That deal stunk to high heaven.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on October 29, 2019, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Raps should have taken up boxing.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The problem is that rapa has been far too open about his intentions. The nrl couldnt let it play out the way it was intended cause youd find every good player in the game doing it as a way of beating the salary cap.He should have kept his mouth shut, signed in japan and then had a bout of home sickness. It happens every year. I fear that option may no longer be available for the great man but time will tell.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Thank you for your service JordyRaps.

Good luck in Japan.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

A real shame he didn’t get a proper send off and a premier ring to boot.

You’ll be missed Rapana. My favourite player to watch since he debuted.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

FROG wrote: October 30, 2019, 2:03 am The problem is that rapa has been far too open about his intentions. The nrl couldnt let it play out the way it was intended cause youd find every good player in the game doing it as a way of beating the salary cap.He should have kept his mouth shut, signed in japan and then had a bout of home sickness. It happens every year. I fear that option may no longer be available for the great man but time will tell.
Was he actually quoted in the media about his intentions, or were the punters just speculating?

Either way, I'm not a fan of this kind of arrangement. I believe players should be able to come and go from the NRL as they please, but contracts are in place for 12 month blocks for a reason. Players already complain about burnout.

Anyway, if we keep Leilua and have Cotric and Simonsson on the wings, Rapa would only have been useful as a backup. If we don't keep Leilua then hopefully the club has a plan B.

The NRL might allow it if we have a couple of injuries by the time his contract in Japan expires.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm sure Gallen was allowed to fight during the off season, at the time to supplement his NRL contract because he had taken unders to remain at the Sharks.

EDIT

I had to go and check wiki but SBW played rugby in Japan and then signed a Roosters deal. Everybody knew he was coming but the Roosters just closed ranks and shut up until it happened. That's what we did wrong. We put it out there to gauge the reaction and it's bitten us in the ****.
Last edited by gerg on October 30, 2019, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 30, 2019, 6:56 am
FROG wrote: October 30, 2019, 2:03 am The problem is that rapa has been far too open about his intentions. The nrl couldnt let it play out the way it was intended cause youd find every good player in the game doing it as a way of beating the salary cap.He should have kept his mouth shut, signed in japan and then had a bout of home sickness. It happens every year. I fear that option may no longer be available for the great man but time will tell.
Was he actually quoted in the media about his intentions, or were the punters just speculating?

Either way, I'm not a fan of this kind of arrangement. I believe players should be able to come and go from the NRL as they please, but contracts are in place for 12 month blocks for a reason. Players already complain about burnout.

Anyway, if we keep Leilua and have Cotric and Simonsson on the wings, Rapa would only have been useful as a backup. If we don't keep Leilua then hopefully the club has a plan B.

The NRL might allow it if we have a couple of injuries by the time his contract in Japan expires.
You really rate Simo over Rapana? Rapana was missing some zing this year but he was still amazing at the hard yards, and very solid defensively.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 30, 2019, 6:56 am
Yes, see earlier in the thread.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

So, to be clear, Gallen can box in the off season for money, Cam Smith’s wife can have a $20k diamond ring given to her by the NRL outside the salary cap and Val Homes can throw in the towel with the NFL and join the Cowboys whenever he feels like it but an ageing clubman like Rapana can’t do this.

And the league wonders why it’s losing fans.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If there is no NRL contract yet or written agreement and Rapana finishes up in Japan there really is zero the NRL could do to stop him coming back if he wanted to really pursue it.

I mean what is he going to do in May when he is finished in Japan?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Go skiing
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'd love to know what the NRL views as market value is for a 30 year old injury prone winger who's had no off season is?
Also is this just for code hoppers, or is the NRL going to refuse to register any contract under what they deem is market value?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The cap auditor can already block any contract he deems is too far under market value. It has only happened once though I think (Folau).

The NRL was going to have a register for every offer made to a player as a way to help manage it, but that seems to have died, probably over one of Uncle Nick and Todd's weekly coffees.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’m not overly worried about this from our perspective just because I really think Jordy has probably gotten VERY close to his used by date... I don’t think we’ll lose much with Simo being a full time winger

But it’s a curious situation
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 10:00 pm I personally think it’s a rubbish idea and should be illegal

And that has nothing to do with the fact I desperately want to see our blue friend proved wrong again. Absolutely nothing at all
Looks like the NRL agreed with me too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson questions NRL block on Jordan Rapana

Canberra co-captain Josh Hodgson has questioned why NRL would block Jordan Rapana return to the Raiders next season after his stint in Japanese union.

"If he goes and plays rugby union, comes back and it's not affecting our cap and not affecting our squad members, I don't see what the real issue is, really," he said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/hodgson-sh ... 30e13a4d07

VIDEO: Hodgson shocked by NRL’s block on Rapana return in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/30/hod ... n-in-2020/
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Its pretty clear this rule only applies to players considered mid level. Burgess, marshal, sbw, gasnier have all been accepted straight back with zero issues. Low tier players are free to come and go as clubs will take them.
Dont delete this GE
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: October 30, 2019, 11:31 am
The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 10:00 pm I personally think it’s a rubbish idea and should be illegal

And that has nothing to do with the fact I desperately want to see our blue friend proved wrong again. Absolutely nothing at all
Looks like the NRL agreed with me too.
Just like great minds think alike, the opposite is true too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: October 30, 2019, 11:47 am Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson questions NRL block on Jordan Rapana

Canberra co-captain Josh Hodgson has questioned why NRL would block Jordan Rapana return to the Raiders next season after his stint in Japanese union.

"If he goes and plays rugby union, comes back and it's not affecting our cap and not affecting our squad members, I don't see what the real issue is, really," he said.

VIDEO: Hodgson shocked by NRL’s block on Rapana return in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/30/hod ... n-in-2020/
Watching that video, Hodgo pretty surprised the NRL would rule this out...

His conclusion... "It doesn't make much sense to me... and The Nickman is just wrong on this."
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: October 30, 2019, 12:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 30, 2019, 11:47 am Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson questions NRL block on Jordan Rapana

His conclusion... "It doesn't make much sense to me... and The Nickman is just wrong on this."
The final quote in that article is absolute comedy gold. We welcome back those that made big money failed career moves with open arms :roflmao The logic of the NRL really is from another planet.

Raps - go away and play 10 shockers and you'll be free to link up in April. Alternatively smash up a Tokyo pub and you'll also be welcome back.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's cool
So if Raps sucks... and lets be honest, he sucked last time he had a crack at union... then i guess we're all good! haha

Meanwhile the NRL are going to bail out the rabbitiohs with a medical retirement for sam burgess, which if im the Raiders opens the door in a pretty significant way for us right now with our cap issues.
We've got Croker off contract at the end of 2020 and Bj the subject of speculation we may need to let him go.

Beej will be 28 shortly. Reports are he's on 650k... assuming he thinks he has 4 years left in him, that's 2.6mil
Lets just sign him to a 6 year 433k a year deal, which will get him his 2.6mil... and it'll just be a balloon when he's medically retired at 32 or 33. Which is cap exempt. Frees up 200k a year to be used elswhere.

Then do the same with Croker, 6 year deal, lower the PYA knowing that eventually you'll get them medically retired and anything left owing will be paid out and cap exempt.
Can even do it again with a reworked deal for Josh Papalii that extends him through till he's 35, which there is no chance he's not broken by then given his playing style...

That should free up the cap money required. So long as the QLC is happy to write those medical retirement cheques at the end of their useful life, it's all good.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Gillett is suddenly going to be medically retired as well. The floodgates are going to open.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: October 30, 2019, 12:24 pm

Who is this Nickman you speak of?? You **** won't change my name!
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

NRL are so backwards 😂

I’m sure that if Morris and Tupou go down with season ending injuries, the Roosters will be free to sign Jordy next May.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

A fair dinkum terrific player. I love Jordy. One of the best wingers I've seen in green.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Bring back Albert Fulavai imo
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Peter wrote: October 30, 2019, 12:56 pm NRL are so backwards 😂

I’m sure that if Morris and Tupou go down with season ending injuries, the Roosters will be free to sign Jordy next May.
Yup and they'll leave Ryan Hall in reggies whilst doing it haha.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: October 30, 2019, 12:50 pm Gillett is suddenly going to be medically retired as well. The floodgates are going to open.
Darius Boyd too im sure.
They couldnt get anyone to take that deal... they'll just need to fudge some pre season injury
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: October 30, 2019, 12:53 pm
T_R is in charge of that department.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Where is the harm in allowing Jordan Rapana to return to the NRL for Canberra Raiders in 2020?

The NRL not allowing Jordan Rapana to return in 2020 for the Canberra Raiders makes no sense.

We have seen Jarryd Hayne go to the NFL, and then come back and sign with the Gold Coast Titans in August 2017 - which is after the June 30th deadline. Gasnier left for French rugby union in 2008, and returned to the NRL for the Dragons after signing in June 2010 when his rugby commitments finished and went on to win a premiership that year with the Red V. Rugby league is always ripe with inconsistency, but this is just unfair.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... apc98xsg3v
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The inconsistency of the NRL really beggars belief.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: October 30, 2019, 1:50 pm
The Rickman wrote: October 30, 2019, 12:53 pm
T_R is in charge of that department.
Well that explains why that department is now completely ****, doesn't it??

Good grief, this is the worst appointment since dubby was EDIT.