25%
Storm 13+
25%

Total votes: 20

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 vs Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by gangrenous »

Losing today was a clever plan to have a 7 day turnaround instead of 6...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:37 pm Losing today was a clever plan to have a 7 day turnaround instead of 6...
Stick out here playing 4d chess whilst the rest of these clowns are playing tic tac toe
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

PigRickman wrote:I want to jump on the anti Lui wagon because i've never really rated him and always feel like we'd like to do better than him... his one on one stripping stuff is off the charts and needs to stop immediately

But you have to put long held views aside, and he's played well enough this year to get a pass on one really bad game.
Crazy some of the things I'm reading about Lui today.

I remember watching him years ago for Manly or Brisbane or whoever he was with at the time, thinking he was trash and saying out loud "We'll sign him one day."

And we did.

He has been great this year. Exactly what you want from a squad member of his ilk. He was big average today and has no business stripping the ball.

Back to basics next week please Dunamis.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Melbourne Storm (1) vs Canberra Raiders (4) at AAMI Park. Kickoff at 5:35pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... beda11b3c8

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalli
9. Hodgson
10. Sia
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Simonsson
15. Hors
16. Tapine
17. Lui

I've got Lui playing the least minutes after that effort. He's forgetting his role and playing beyond his actual skill level. Refs aren't going to let him get a strip even if he was good enough- subjective calls go to the big names. Run hard, hit hard, stay in your lane.

Tossed up between Sia and Hors off the bench. Ultimately I want Sia's line speed leading us off and setting a tone, give it everything. Hors can rip in after 20 minutes and get a good stint. He seems the type who'd have his eyeballs rolling around in his head if he started in his first final and could lose it a bit.
Good team, I like it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Time is confirmed: Saturday in Melbourne at 4:30pm.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:26 pm I want to jump on the anti Lui wagon because i've never really rated him and always feel like we'd like to do better than him... his one on one stripping stuff is off the charts and needs to stop immediately

But you have to put long held views aside, and he's played well enough this year to get a pass on one really bad game.
I'd give him the pass if he hadn't been penalised for strips in 4 consecutive games without ever pulling one off. With a climbing error count too. I used to give him a pass, as all that was expected from your budget prop was error free minutes with staunch defence and some tough hit ups- which he DID admirably. Lately he's been stuffing all that up with errors and strip penalties which are beyond his pay grade. He's actually getting in the road of the team doing it's thing which is precisely NOT the role of your budget forward.

I'd honestly put a rocket up him or drop him for Guler if he doesn't respond. I don't need experienced heads thinking they can try 50/50 plays that put us under pressure and stop us putting pressure on. He needs to be error free and solid. End of.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:52 pm Time is confirmed: Saturday in Melbourne at 4:30pm.
I think it is 5.35pm. The 4.30 is probably tv time.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bay53 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:52 pm Time is confirmed: Saturday in Melbourne at 4:30pm.
Correct

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: September 7, 2019, 10:13 pm
Bay53 wrote:
Correct

Surely Yvonne Sampson wouldn't lie to me?!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yvonne O'Keefe might though

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2019, 10:15 pm
-TW- wrote: September 7, 2019, 10:13 pm
Bay53 wrote:
Correct

Surely Yvonne Sampson wouldn't lie to me?!
Vonnie wouldnt EDIT like that, GE. EDIT
BJ
Steve Walters

2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by BJ »

Agree with Lui going back to his simpler role. Don’t know what he’s been thinking over the last few weeks. I think he had two errors in the first 20 rounds and 10 errors in the last 5 rounds.

His defence on the try line is still a big positive, but please simplify your game Dunamis.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Storm have only had 4 losses all season. Gonna be a tough game to win. Especially if the officials Ref the game they way they did in our 2016 game in Melbourne.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:32 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalli
9. Hodgson
10. Sia
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Simonsson
15. Hors
16. Tapine
17. Lui

I've got Lui playing the least minutes after that effort. He's forgetting his role and playing beyond his actual skill level. Refs aren't going to let him get a strip even if he was good enough- subjective calls go to the big names. Run hard, hit hard, stay in your lane.

Tossed up between Sia and Hors off the bench. Ultimately I want Sia's line speed leading us off and setting a tone, give it everything. Hors can rip in after 20 minutes and get a good stint. He seems the type who'd have his eyeballs rolling around in his head if he started in his first final and could lose it a bit.
Based on Sticky's comments I'm not sure Tapine will be ready to go. I would put Havili in his place. I think Sticky will pick BJ but he remains a loose cannon imo more likely to cost a tight match as win one.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Game is confirmed Saturday afternoon.
Fox coverage says from 4.30pm.

I’d run Tapine in the starting line up.
I’d be tempted to drop Lui for Guler, who has impressed me.
I’d have both Simonsson and Havili on the bench:

1 to 13: Usually suspects.

14. Horsburgh
15. Guler
16. Havili
17. Simonsson

For me, Sutton, Young( possible suspension) and Lui are on the outer.

Sutton would come in if Tapine isn’t ready.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

This is going to be extremely tough, and we will be deserved outsiders. However, there are real weaknesses with the Storm. Firstly, their right side defence has been an issue all year (it is why Hughes was brought in for Croft). Even with Hughes there now, it is a new combination on that side. Jack’s running game is crucial - it will create space for others. Secondly, while Papenhuyzen is an incredible player, he doesn’t have the ball playing skills we often struggle to defend against. He has incredible pace, so we should assume he is going to run first. I am not sold on him under the high ball, either.

We need to control their starting pack. Bromwich and Asofa-Solomona are formidable, but if you can control possession and field position while they are on their impact is limited. Their kicking game is quite reliant on Smith out of dummy half.

I would bring Guler In for Lui. I know it seems harsh to drop Lui after a single game, I just can’t justify leaving Guler out of the 17.

1. CNK.
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6 Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Simonsson
15. Horsburgh
16. Guler
17. Sutton
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Select anyone that doesn't remind me of that car crash performance against the Warriors.

It'd also be nice not to be down 3 tries to zip in this game too. Back to basics please.

My biggest fear is that Hodgson will try to be the hero in this game. Just stick to the damn game plan Josh.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Whitehead
12. Bateman
13. Tapine

14. Simonsson
15. Havili
16. Horsburgh
17. Sutton
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Seiffert82 wrote:Select anyone that doesn't remind me of that car crash performance against the Warriors.

It'd also be nice not to be down 3 tries to zip in this game too. Back to basics please.

My biggest fear is that Hodgson will try to be the hero in this game. Just stick to the damn game plan Josh.
Against the warriors there were a lot of players overplaying their hands to the detriment of the team. Everyone needs to know their role and do their job. We need a team performance not individuals trying to win it on their own.

We know how to make it hard for the storm with early shifts to move their defence around but it will be defence that wins this one. It was rubbish yesterday and we will need our best effort of the season to get the win.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Nicoll-Klokstad
Simonsson
Croker
Cotric
Rapana
Wighton
Sezer
Papalii
Hodgson
Soliola
Bateman
Whitehead
Sutton

Havili
Horsburgh
Tapine
Leilua

Lui
Kris
Guler
Murchie

Young was in my side instead of Havili until his likely suspension.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Whitehead
12. Bateman
13. Sutton

14. Simonsson
15. Havili
16. Horsburgh
17. tapine
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Papa will play 60. So your only swapping soliola and sutton, for them horse and tapine come on. Havili/ soliola to sub papa.
Simo will ride the line baring injury or head knock or chasing points at the end
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Would have rathered the sat night 730 game. Nrl going with Sydney teams in prime spots again I believe
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Something to think about - I think we still have another gear or two we can find. Papa is the exception. He is playing mind blowingly well and I’m not sure there is huge scope for him to improve. Putting Papa aside, we have a lot of players going ok, some quite good, others a bit down on form but I’d say all have the potential to step it up a bit (excluding Papa who is already at freak level). If a few of our boys can find a little extra in their game we willl be hard to stop.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Seiffert82 wrote:Select anyone that doesn't remind me of that car crash performance against the Warriors.

This...

It has happened a bit this year and yesterday was another example.

We were a bit flat, struggling to stop the Warriors offloads and their ability to match up field. I think Josh kicked the ball away on tackle 3 a number of times AND we were running into a strong wind.

Doesn’t make sense and he constantly does it... Sometimes in 7 tackle sets too... Drives me mad...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We've been pretty ordinary for a few weeks now, other than one half against Melbourne. not feeling that hopeful but if we step it up I'll be pleasantly surprised
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We're 4-4 in games with Cotric at centre. I think BJ has to play as the perceived threat him and Rapana possess open up opportunities across the park for our other players. In the final 20 minutes there just didn't seem anywhere we were going to get points from, given most of our spine was in tact that's a concern leading into matches against premier opponents.

I wouldn't be opposed to running with Simonsson on the bench in week one with BJ just back and Havili thereafter.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

If we lose, we are on the Eels/Broncos side of the draw??? Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The ultimate result would be to win and send the Storm to the same side of the draw as the Roosters (assuming a Roosters win). Then they have to play each other in a Prelim, beat each other up, and one of them loses, whereas we'd be more likely to get Souths (and I think we could beat them). Plus it would mean a home Prelim for us.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Given our record at home this year, hard to know how we would go in a home prelim.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Cnk
Cotric
Croker
Leilua
Rapana
Wighton
Sezer
Sutton
Hodgson
Papa
Bateman
Whitehead
Tapine

Havili
Horse
Sia
Guler

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The substance of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Gary Belcher can't say for certain if he saw a budding coach lurking inside his Canberra Raiders teammate Ricky Stuart all those years ago. But he remembers a few things hinting as to why Stuart is such a good mentor.

"He might not be everyone's cup of tea. Unless you know him, from the outside he can seem pretty abrasive," Belcher said. "But that wouldn't bother Rick much at all."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/08/the ... ky-stuart/
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Nothing short of playing our best game of the year, or something close to it, will get the job done on Saturday.

If we can make it all click, we will have a GF qualifier at home. Despite our yips at GIO, there is no greater opportunity to play in the big dance than that.

I feel like there is a lot of discussion about the last couple of spots in the 17; notwithstanding the requirement that we get strong contributions across the 17, our success won't be determined by whether we run with Lui/Sutton/Guler.

We need Papa to continue to be the best prop in the game.
Sia to continue to be our spiritual leader and inspire the team.
Bateman to continue to be tough, unrelenting, and an attacking threat on the edge.
Whitehead's continued 2-way contributions and creativity.
CNK to ramp it up a notch in attack.
Hodgson to be at his best, and not overplaying his hand.
Wighton to be finishing off his threatening runs.
Sezer to be competent or better with his kicking game.
Leipana to be something close to their 2016 form.
Cotric to step up.

And we need miles and miles of heart from the team as a whole to ensure that our dream doesn't remain just a dream.

We can dare to dream, but in my mind it is absolutely contingent on kicking up a gear. Do we have it?

I think we do.
Up The Milk
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Anyone know when tickets go on sale? Is it usually Monday?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'