All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Croker's kicking

Post by Azza »

PigRickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 10:57 pm I can't
I won't

Sooks gonna sook. These Raiders march on regardless.
We've just made a prelim and some people still sook. Unbelievable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Lucky Cam Smith missed his conversion.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’ve come to the conclusion now we just have to put up wth Crokers diabolical kicking. I just hope he can make it when it counts with the remaining games
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Raider Azz wrote:
PigRickman wrote:imagine being a miserable **** **** on a night like this?
I wept for those people.
It's the same people every time. I'm convinced at this point we could win the grand final 68-0 and they'd be calling for players to be dropped or sacked.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
‘He should be dropped for the World Club Challenge!’
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Azza wrote: September 15, 2019, 12:14 am
PigRickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 10:57 pm I can't
I won't

Sooks gonna sook. These Raiders march on regardless.
We've just made a prelim and some people still sook. Unbelievable.
100%
Some people must be terminally miserable.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I thought his conversion from the side line of the Simmonson try was an absolute cracker. I will say though, that after he had been illegally flattened by Vunivalu without the ball, that thought should have been given to having Sezer take that shot. It may be something Sticky has a word with both Hodgo and Croker about in future. Croker is looking at the football and Vunivalu has blind sided him. That takes some time to recover from.

The Raiders have a week off and I reckon Sticky will be keen to have all kickers practice, both goal kickers and tactical kickers. We struggled at times to find the sideline or grass last night.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We shouldn't have taken those shots at penalty goal at all!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I just came into this thread to mention that we won the game by a Jarrod Croker goal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Post by raidersmalt »

The Rickman wrote: September 15, 2019, 9:17 am I just came into this thread to mention that we won the game by a Jarrod Croker goal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:hmmm
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2019, 7:57 am We shouldn't have taken those shots at penalty goal at all!
I disagree. It's the right option- points win games. Points + the ball back or miss and still get the ball back is a good option for our team. Especially vs a team with big forwards. Some of those dropped balls by them in the 2nd half are directly fatigue related.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Also a missed kick is a 20 meter restart and with a good return you would often end up with a first or second tackle in their half anyway.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:We shouldn't have taken those shots at penalty goal at all!
The two best defensive teams in the competition were playing so there was never going to be a lot of points in the game. For those matches 100% we should be taking penalty goal attempts!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I don't know, I felt the second one was particularly not a great idea. We had them on the ropes that set, I think we would have broken them and scored.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: September 15, 2019, 12:50 pm I don't know, I felt the second one was particularly not a great idea. We had them on the ropes that set, I think we would have broken them and scored.
I tend to agree with this. Absolutely agree you take the points on offer in a finals game and the first one was the right call. The second one I agree there seemed to be a fair bit of momentum behind us and a tap may have been the option. Similarly, the second penalty storm took after halftime was questionable. We had to have been close to a sin bin if we infringed down there again and at that point we hadn’t touched to ball all half and must have been tiring. I wasn’t unhappy they took 2.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Recognising a problem isn’t the same as sooking. We’ve seen this before on this forum, we go on a bit of a winning streak and everyone gets caught up in this euphoric bubble where everything is perfect if you dare suggest a problem or negative thought you get shot down in flames. And then we get bundled out in the finals, the bubble bursts and let me tell you the GH website is not a place you want to be when that happens.

I guess it what it comes down to is either you are content with making the prelims, or do you want to win a Premiership? If it’s the latter then we need to leave no stone unturned, and at the moment Croker’s kicking is a stone unturned. I’m not sure that he handles the pressure moments all too well, and he is lacking confidence at the moment, and those two things combined he is liability taking that into the finals where games will be super tight and goal kicking can be the different between winning and losing.

I would give the kicking boots to Sezer, he’s a proven goal kicker and I feel his confidence is up at the moment, particularly after the Cronulla game. Also what does it say to give your scorned half back with an uncertain future one of main responsibilities of the side? Anything we can do to inspire Sezer we should be doing.

Again sorry if I’m messing with anyone’s endorphins, success for me at the very least is making the grand final.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think what usually happens on here is we don't play football to an imaginary high bar and piles of reactionary takes get posted. Then posters double and triple down on them in the face of been wrong. That's what sends this place to the dogs more than anything else.

I am glad that this is the one problem which has had legs of the literally thousands of complaints people have had with the team and our players this season. I am sure Toots will be working hard to correct it.
Last edited by edwahu on September 15, 2019, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think Croker is very good in pressure situations. He’s iced a lot of critical difficult kicks.

But certainly he’s out of form, he knows it, and that seems to make it worse. I guarantee he is leaving no stone unturned to try and address it. It’s the type of guy he is.

I think there’s definitely an argument to give Sezer the kick after Croker was drilled last night.

Be interesting to see how they handle it in a prelim.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

That was exactly the point I was trying to make Gangers. I didn't have a problem with taking the shot for goal which potentially got us out to an 8 point lead and success or failure means we get the ball back. I just thought from a game management point of view, throwing the ball to the co-skipper who has just been knocked into the middle of next week when there is a player like Sezer who could have taken the shot would have made sense.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

rayden83 wrote: September 15, 2019, 1:09 pm Recognising a problem isn’t the same as sooking. We’ve seen this before on this forum, we go on a bit of a winning streak and everyone gets caught up in this euphoric bubble where everything is perfect if you dare suggest a problem or negative thought you get shot down in flames. And then we get bundled out in the finals, the bubble bursts and let me tell you the GH website is not a place you want to be when that happens.

I guess it what it comes down to is either you are content with making the prelims, or do you want to win a Premiership? If it’s the latter then we need to leave no stone unturned, and at the moment Croker’s kicking is a stone unturned. I’m not sure that he handles the pressure moments all too well, and he is lacking confidence at the moment, and those two things combined he is liability taking that into the finals where games will be super tight and goal kicking can be the different between winning and losing.

I would give the kicking boots to Sezer, he’s a proven goal kicker and I feel his confidence is up at the moment, particularly after the Cronulla game. Also what does it say to give your scorned half back with an uncertain future one of main responsibilities of the side? Anything we can do to inspire Sezer we should be doing.

Again sorry if I’m messing with anyone’s endorphins, success for me at the very least is making the grand final.
Fair post. I'm just not sure that this is what will happen - taking the kicking duties away from Croker this late in the season may actually impact his confidence for the rest of his game more.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:That was exactly the point I was trying to make Gangers. I didn't have a problem with taking the shot for goal which potentially got us out to an 8 point lead and success or failure means we get the ball back. I just thought from a game management point of view, throwing the ball to the co-skipper who has just been knocked into the middle of next week when there is a player like Sezer who could have taken the shot would have made sense.
Yep we’re on the same page RR Image
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I saw that after they got to Melbourne Croker, Sezer and Daryl Halligan went to a field to practice kicking. So it seems that everyone in the team is aware of the issue, not least Croker himself, and is doing what they can to correct it - while keeping Sezer sharp as a potential replacement, just in case.

And that first kick was outstanding. Just perfect. So he can do it. I really think he was rattled by being smashed off the ball for the second, maybe too rattled to realise Sezer probably should have taken that one. But then, two weeks ago he kicked perfectly after running 70m. Maybe he thought he could do this, too.

Kickers don't get better by not kicking. The irony, I suppose, is that in order to correct the issue, he has to keep kicking.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Was chatting about that with the family. I think if Croker is striking at 100% you still have your backup kicker doing that practice.

You can’t risk Croker going down in a final and expecting your backup kicker to step in unpracticed.

But yes it’s probably more important in this case.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The questions are very simple to me, not sure why it seems like such a conundrum

1. Does Sezer make the two kicks Croker missed last night?
2. Has Croker missed many similar kicks throughout the season and been in poor form?

If the answers are yes and yes, Sezer should kick. You don't go into a prelim final hoping the guy finally comes good when you've got someone capable available, unless you're against the team maximising their chances of winning.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

rayden83 wrote: September 15, 2019, 1:09 pm Recognising a problem isn’t the same as sooking. We’ve seen this before on this forum, we go on a bit of a winning streak and everyone gets caught up in this euphoric bubble where everything is perfect if you dare suggest a problem or negative thought you get shot down in flames. And then we get bundled out in the finals, the bubble bursts and let me tell you the GH website is not a place you want to be when that happens.

Yep I agree, give Sezer the goal kicking, Croker needs to concentrate on his defensive game ( which is fine) and co captain duties
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

While obviously we weren't trying to miss the kicks, it's not the worst outcome as at least they both went dead. Wasting that 3 minutes off the clock plus the extra 2-3 minutes of attack we had in good field position was all part of a game we won. Anything could have changed that, maybe that break won it for us but no matter what it certainly didn't lose it for us.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Croker's kicking

Post by LastRaider »

Kicking percentages of remaining final sides
Adam Reynolds - 83.8%
Cameron Smith - 82.3%
Mitchell Moses - 80.4%
Reuben Garrick - 77.3%
Latrell Mitchell - 76%
Jarrod Croker - 73.7%

Nathan Cleary - 87.9%
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Kickers locked into a prelim final

Latrell Mitchell 76% (7/8 qualifiying kickers)
Jarrod Croker 74% (8/8 qualifying kickers)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

LastRaider wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:00 pm Kicking percentages of remaining final sides
Adam Reynolds - 83.8%
Cameron Smith - 82.3%
Mitchell Moses - 80.4%
Reuben Garrick - 77.3%
Latrell Mitchell - 76%
Jarrod Croker - 73.7%

Nathan Cleary - 87.9%
I can’t recall Sezer missing a single kick all season 😉
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:
LastRaider wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:00 pm Kicking percentages of remaining final sides
Adam Reynolds - 83.8%
Cameron Smith - 82.3%
Mitchell Moses - 80.4%
Reuben Garrick - 77.3%
Latrell Mitchell - 76%
Jarrod Croker - 73.7%

Nathan Cleary - 87.9%
I can’t recall Sezer missing a single kick all season Image
Yeah I know. How’s Nathan Cleary’s %, that’s pretty amazing for a season
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

LastRaider wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:13 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Adam Reynolds - 83.8%
Cameron Smith - 82.3%
Mitchell Moses - 80.4%
Reuben Garrick - 77.3%
Latrell Mitchell - 76%
Jarrod Croker - 73.7%

Nathan Cleary - 87.9%
I can’t recall Sezer missing a single kick all season Image
Yeah I know. How’s Nathan Cleary’s %, that’s pretty amazing for a season
That is very impressive - can’t imagine there would be many better over time - El Marsri perhaps a season or two similar?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Apparently Rheese Martin was going 97% for a while this year which is supposed to be best ever territory, surprisingly the next best historically is Ryan Girdler who went around 93% for a season. That’s all based on a lazy half assed google and may be proven untrue by a better googler. Impressive numbers!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Rhyse Martin who plays in the Super League?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:56 pm Rhyse Martin who plays in the Super League?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Yeah - last year he kicked 33 out of 34 to go at 97.1%. 34 is not a huge number of kicks but still an impressive effort. Make Cleary’s at 87.9% look like a sprayer!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Billy Walker wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:54 pm Apparently Rheese Martin was going 97% for a while this year which is supposed to be best ever territory, surprisingly the next best historically is Ryan Girdler who went around 93% for a season. That’s all based on a lazy half assed google and may be proven untrue by a better googler. Impressive numbers!
Comparing Reece Martins % to Nathan Clearys is like..

Comparing Adam Voges batting avg to Steve Smiths.

Sure..its impressive but it's not sustained consistently..more a short time flurry !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: