All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

Post by IBG »

Please co sign this petition.

Not only do I not want to support players who do grubby crap like that, now he has effectively added to the scrutiny and distraction to the team at finals time.

Well done mate, you plonker.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Re: Sack Hudson Young

Post by TongueFTW »

Have to say I agree. He’s a young guy and got the benefit of the doubt the first time (which was actually his second after doing it at Mounties), but this was absolutely disgraceful. Don’t want to support a team with someone like him in it.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

This is his third offence I should add. Did it in reserves too. He has issues.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Don’t think he’ll be sacked. He’ll serve his lengthy suspension and play Mounties until his contract is up unless he gets poached elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I doubt his contract allows for him to be sacked for on field offenses.
Not_Easy_Being_Green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Not_Easy_Being_Green »

Best thing Ricky could do is to bury him in the presser. If we act all wooly like, "we'll have a look at it.." or something like that, it will add to the media storm all week. Knock it on the head Ricky before it gets out of hand.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

How do we set up a petition?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Grub act yes and he'll be punished, but couldn't care less after that.

Our success isn't hinged on Hudson Young being out there.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Really like him as a player, but i have ZERO time for that ****. ZERO.

Ill be furious if he gets less than 10 weeks. Appalling. He should be embarrassed and ashamed of himself. He's certainly brought shame and embarrassment on our club.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Yeh I gotta agree. We have a no D-Head policy..... we dont want a reputation as being a dirtier club than the storm. Media is gonna have a field day with this one. :rant
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The more people walking around with a seeing eye dog the better according to HYoung.

Has he really done this 3 times ?

He's outta here..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lucky wrote:Yeh I gotta agree. We have a no D-Head policy..... we dont want a reputation as being a dirtier club than the storm. Media is gonna have a field day with this one. :rant
I think that the media will see it for what it is. A single young player that has a screw loose. Not a dirty team.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

What's worse is when you look at it.. he has tried to rake the eyes/face TWICE!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 7, 2019, 5:18 pm
Lucky wrote:Yeh I gotta agree. We have a no D-Head policy..... we dont want a reputation as being a dirtier club than the storm. Media is gonna have a field day with this one. :rant
I think that the media will see it for what it is. A single young player that has a screw loose. Not a dirty team.
Our sponsors won't love thier logos all over our Jersey when it's played by the media a hundred times over with him being a total grub.

Happy for him to be sacked over it but wait until after the finals as that would make it more of a distraction.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

RR made a good point in another thread, this kid was on the scrap heap and this club gave him a chance, and they've developed him to the point where he's salvaged his career, and this is how he repays the club?
That's a very bitter pill to swallow

It wont matter for our season. But this is just a very disappoiting incident.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The silliest thing is he played really well today and locked up a spot in the 17 heading to finals.

He’s let everyone down and will miss a lot of football, meaning we’ll go into next season with 29 players not 30.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm Bate Man wrote: September 7, 2019, 5:43 pm The silliest thing is he played really well today and locked up a spot in the 17 heading to finals.
I actually disagree with this. He’s a high effort player that’s been randomly over rated on here imo.

I don’t trust him defensively on an edge (was at fault for their first try) and given what he’s done it adds up to him being a sandwich short of a picnic from a supporters point of view.

At full strength in a final if one of our second rowers went down we’d be crazy to put Young there over Tapine. Crazy.

On the thread topic. He’s gone, I agree. But it would have to be the tap on the shoulder ‘you won’t ply first grade again, so best move full time to Sydney and base yourself at the Mounties situation’ imo. No point costing yourself money over him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

What did he actually do? I was watching at a pub and getting pissed off so didn't catch every minute

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

EJ wrote:What did he actually do? I was watching at a pub and getting pissed off so didn't catch every minute

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hand on face, then goes back and has another crack

**** him off, absolute grub

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote:The more people walking around with a seeing eye dog the better according to HYoung.

Has he really done this 3 times ?

He's outta here..
When you look at it in slow mo, he had 3 goes at it today, and the worst thing is I have no idea which way the NRL will go with this. But I'm guessing the longest ban possible. And he won't play next year.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Ultima wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 7, 2019, 5:18 pm
Our sponsors won't love thier logos all over our Jersey when it's played by the media a hundred times over with him being a total grub.

Happy for him to be sacked over it but wait until after the finals as that would make it more of a distraction.
Our sponsors are Chinese that have had massive restrictions put on them in North America and have been denied access to Australian infrastructure. Any publicity other than that would be welcomed imho.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I doubt he'll be sacked. Ricky was backing him in the presser.

I don't care if he gets 3 months then plays out in Mounties or sits as Mounties 18th man if they don't want him.

We're stacked for backrowers, he's competing against Bateman, Whitehead, Tapine for backrow and bench spots. He'd worked his way into the team on the basis of decent mobility and tackling ability but he wasn't overflowing with talent. Ideally he would have been a nice addition as you'd like a young guy pushing for spots and ready to come in when Whitehead possibly heads home/hangs 'em up in 2 years but we'll find another one.

His career has gone; drugs ban; Mounties eye gouge; FG eye gouge; FG eye gouge... getting pretty hard to write a redemption story on the bloke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Easy to write a sacking story though

"Raiders don't see eye to eye with Young"

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:Easy to write a sacking story though

"Raiders don't see eye to eye with Young"

You need to start with an “Eye carumba!”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Jeez I feel uncomfortable watching that footage. The last go he has on his face he had a proper ripping motion, like he had all the intent in the world. **** are you doing son.

He is not good enough to be shedding tears over. Guler, Murchie et al are waiting in the wings to take that 17th spot in the team.
Up The Milk
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

The guy is also a **** for thinking he can get away with it too

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The real issue for me aside from the act is the try is scored, there is nothing left to do but stand behind the sticks and talk about what went wrong, but he wasn’t content with that, he went out there and tried to inflict injury on to a player for zero net gain

That speaks to a person who is either not in control of himself or someone so nasty and vindictive that he was in control and decided he’d show him for scoring, and that’s worse
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m happy to grab a pitch fork and be part of this angry mob - the only thing I will say is that I don’t suspect it’s as much a deliberate act as we think. I suspect it’s a fine line between an attitude of doing anything to stop a player and a brain snap. Doesn’t make it any better or excuse him but I doubt he goes out there with the intent in mind. It’s still a big problem for, an awful look, and anything but an accident but I suspect he would be gutted at the moment. It would be fascinating to truly understand what goes on in his head and why it happens. All that said - let’s get on with this lynching!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:13 pm I’m happy to grab a pitch fork and be part of this angry mob - the only thing I will say is that I don’t suspect it’s as much a deliberate act as we think. I suspect it’s a fine line between an attitude of doing anything to stop a player and a brain snap. Doesn’t make it any better or excuse him but I doubt he goes out there with the intent in mind. It’s still a big problem for, an awful look, and anything but an accident but I suspect he would be gutted at the moment. It would be fascinating to truly understand what goes on in his head and why it happens. All that said - let’s get on with this lynching!
It would be fascinating. But the issue is, if "I know... I'll rip into his eyes!" becomes a regular part of your thinking, under pressure, in anger, in frustration, or for malice, whatever his reason is. Then you're not actually a person who is safe to have on a footy field. He needs to sit out until he sorts that out.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:13 pm I’m happy to grab a pitch fork and be part of this angry mob - the only thing I will say is that I don’t suspect it’s as much a deliberate act as we think. I suspect it’s a fine line between an attitude of doing anything to stop a player and a brain snap. Doesn’t make it any better or excuse him but I doubt he goes out there with the intent in mind. It’s still a big problem for, an awful look, and anything but an accident but I suspect he would be gutted at the moment. It would be fascinating to truly understand what goes on in his head and why it happens. All that said - let’s get on with this lynching!
It would be fascinating. But the issue is, if "I know... I'll rip into his eyes!" becomes a regular part of your thinking, under pressure, in anger, in frustration, or for malice, whatever his reason is. Then you're not actually a person who is safe to have on a footy field. He needs to sit out until he sorts that out.
100% agree - no place for it or him in the game. I’d just love to understand how it happens and what’s behind it all.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think after calming down somewhat, what the NRL should do is this
Refer him directly to the judicary, hand down the same sentence that George Burgess got

and then as part of the off season stuff, i would hold a press conference saying eye gouges this year were up at an unprececedented level (which they are) and the code wont tolerate it

a new charge will be added for the MRC committee, a grade 1 and grade 2 eye gouge.
An accidental eye gouge, where a player had hands in the face that go into the eyes and where deliberate contact can not be established, will recieve a grade 1. A player charged with a grade 1 will recieve 1200 points, and this charge is exempt from the 25% discount for an early plea. All the loading penalties apply

A grade 2 is where the MRC can establish deliberate and unnecessary contact with the eye region, and where fingers are seen to be digging in. That charge carries a base points penalty of 2400 points, again, this charge is exempt from the early plea discount and all loading penalties apply

Further more any gauge is a mandatory send off.
Hudson Young, if he gouged again, and all other guilty gaugers would now be looking at a minmum of 1.5 years on the sidelines if they gauge. Hudson for his next one would recieve 100% loading for 2 priors and would sit for 2 years.

This has GOT to be removed from the game, either the act, or the players doing it.
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Poida_Raider »

I don’t know how their brains work but we’ve seen a few players this season be done and caught for doing this more than once. It’s not like they would be thinking they’ll get away with it. It must be something that their hands do before their brain has told them not to. There’s no way it could not be seen by tv. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Hudson Young

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect he'll get a lengthy suspension, and It won't surprise me if it is 12 weeks at least. I have met Hudson Young once or twice... he's a good young bloke, he's likable and personable - and I can see why Ricky Stuart will be defending the young bloke. I was listening to some of Ricky Stuart's press conference on the radio, and he said he asked Hudson Young if he gouged his eyes and he said no... and he believes him. And I can see why, because as Ricky Stuart said, the player concerned didn't react in any way as if he'd been injured. I hope the club doesn't sack him, and I think the club will stand by him.

BTW... I'm not having any more titles to threads that are in the form "Sack, person x". I took that decision after a thread emerged titled "Sack Jarrod Croker". They are emotive and unnecessary... but if you want to make the case for that, that is any poster's right.

Personally I'm going to support what the coach and club decide, because I know they'll have Hudson Young's welfare in mind... as well as the good of the club and the game.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:26 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:22 pm
100% agree - no place for it or him in the game. I’d just love to understand how it happens and what’s behind it all.
Hmm it's a game where Gallen will shove his fingers into a stitch wound or Cam Smith will hit Croker's knee late and from the side off the ball when he knows it's injured or a guy will- while 3 other guys roll on top of you awkwardly, unprdictably- pull your shoulder into a position where you submit to his will or end your season.

Somewhere, for some reason Young is missing the boundary between all the other "anything to win" grubbiness allowed in the game and what he does. The game has some weird double standards. Maybe because he's never known someone to pop an eyeball out or known someone with a detached retina he doesn't actually believe it can happen. But it does.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Re: Hudson Young

Post by Botman »

i dont think they have the contractual grounds to sack him, not without payment and i dont expect that to be a consideration

I do expect the club to tell this kid in no uncertain terms that if this occurs again, he'll be spending whatever remains of his contract at Mounties and his contract will not be renewed.