On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30614
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by dubby » September 3, 2019, 11:50 am

No team is moving.

Period.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 352
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by GreenMachine » September 3, 2019, 12:19 pm

Ideally:

Sharks to Perth
Titans replaced with Second Brisbane team.

Wiki Special
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 559
Joined: August 11, 2016, 8:16 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Wiki Special » September 3, 2019, 12:45 pm

GreenMachine wrote:
September 3, 2019, 12:19 pm
Ideally:

Sharks to Perth
Titans replaced with Second Brisbane team.
I agree, Sharks to Perth. The name suits over there too. I doubt the NRL moves the Gold Coast, they are too stubborn.

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3760
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by BJ » September 3, 2019, 1:49 pm

15 teams except Canberra to be relocated to cities around the world with poor air transportation. Any team not showing up on time to Canberra stadium for regular round games will forfeit all games including finals to the Raiders.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13229
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by bonehead » September 3, 2019, 2:56 pm

The Rickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:
September 3, 2019, 10:13 am
Souths are the obvious candidate, they don't play home games in their traditional area and are probably the most nationally generic team in the comp.
They can't get rid of Souths, too much history, too many supporters, and we all remember what happened last time!
sorry, I meant to move because their supporters are everywhere not postcode centric
Edrick The Entertainer

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2771
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Billy Walker » September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm

Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43600
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by The Rickman » September 3, 2019, 4:48 pm

Billy Walker wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm
Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
I have a mate who was an Illawarra fan who is now a died in the wool dragons fan and every single Balmain or Wests fan I know now supports the Wests Tigers after 2005 happened.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30614
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by dubby » September 3, 2019, 4:59 pm

Yeah my dad and brother were balmain but now mad wests fans.

Didn't work for northern eagles because everyone hates Manly

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43600
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by The Rickman » September 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

dubby wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:59 pm
Yeah my dad and brother were balmain but now mad wests fans.

Didn't work for northern eagles because everyone hates Manly

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah, I should've mentioned that. My best mate and his brothers are Les Kiss' nephews and they hated the Northern Eagles since their conception!

Most of them either don't support rugby league anymore except one who likes the Cowboys.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6473
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Favourite Player: Jersh McCrerne
Location: Sydney

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by afgtnk » September 3, 2019, 5:08 pm

The Rickman wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm
Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
I have a mate who was an Illawarra fan who is now a died in the wool dragons fan and every single Balmain or Wests fan I know now supports the Wests Tigers after 2005 happened.
It's dyed in the wool. Not died. Unless you're trying to say that your friend who supported the Dragons died in or wearing wool.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43600
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by The Rickman » September 3, 2019, 5:09 pm

afgtnk wrote:
September 3, 2019, 5:08 pm
The Rickman wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm
Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
I have a mate who was an Illawarra fan who is now a died in the wool dragons fan and every single Balmain or Wests fan I know now supports the Wests Tigers after 2005 happened.
It's dyed in the wool. Not died. Unless you're trying to say that your friend who supported the Dragons died in or wearing wool.
Maybe I am, smart guy. Maybe I am.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6473
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Favourite Player: Jersh McCrerne
Location: Sydney

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by afgtnk » September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm

You're not.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43600
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by The Rickman » September 3, 2019, 5:13 pm

Look, can we just agree to disagree on this and move on??
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17856
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by -PJ- » September 3, 2019, 5:17 pm

I reckon we just get rid of of Cronulla completely...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2280
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Beejay » September 3, 2019, 5:23 pm

I think relocation would work myself.
If you live in Perth you'd just be excited that you now have a team. As long as they win games that's really all you want.
To get a team that already has an established brand name, and some history behind it that you can learn and feel part of, adds to the experience. Same as when you start following a team, not many of us started following the Raiders from the day it started in 1982, you get on board with a team and a history.

There's really only 12,000 people that go to Sharks games. Cant they just go see them whenever they play all of the other Sydney teams? Which would be every second week anyway!
All the other fans could watch them on TV anyway, same as they do now.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5804
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » September 3, 2019, 5:26 pm

The Rickman wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm
Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
I have a mate who was an Illawarra fan who is now a died in the wool dragons fan and every single Balmain or Wests fan I know now supports the Wests Tigers after 2005 happened.
My old man was a die hard Steelers fan. Defected because he hated the Dragons that much.
Now he just supports which ever club Dale Finucane plays for
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30614
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by dubby » September 3, 2019, 5:28 pm

Don't change it

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19489
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Dr Zaius » September 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

It really would be a shame if they axed or moved the Titans after a few bad years. They were packing out the stadium 5 or so years back and the GC is one of the most rapidly growing areas in the country.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126794
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by greeneyed » September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm

Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL



Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 00fcc436f0

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
Image

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5804
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » September 3, 2019, 8:38 pm

Yeah I don’t like his proposal. Disadvantages the non-Sydney teams too much. Regional teams would have to do so much more travelling.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2771
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Billy Walker » September 3, 2019, 8:52 pm

Yeah how has the conference system where everyone wins a prize worked out in Super Rugby?? One of Gould’s more stupid ideas.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30390
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by -TW- » September 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

2 conferences is fine, but it needs to be done by random draw at the start of the year

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25579
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by PigRickman » September 3, 2019, 10:06 pm

Proof in the pudding... throw enough darts and you'll hit a bullseye

Agree with Gould on the conference thing

edit: the particulars of this plan arent right, but at least he's on the right track
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2280
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Beejay » September 3, 2019, 10:46 pm

Australia is too small for a conference system
Also our minds are too feeble, it’s much too complicated

He only wants it so all the old boys teams are saved in Sydney.

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2280
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Beejay » September 3, 2019, 10:50 pm

I’ve thought about it;

Sharks, West Tigers or Manly to Perth. First to jump gets a leg up for 5 years. Large market to themselves.

2 new teams, Brisbane 2 and New Zealand 2

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126794
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by greeneyed » September 3, 2019, 11:00 pm

Beejay wrote:
September 3, 2019, 10:46 pm
He only wants it so all the old boys teams are saved in Sydney.
That is the bottom line. This is why we really needed a genuinely independent ARLC.
Image

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7083
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by gergreg » September 4, 2019, 7:36 am

dubby wrote:Don't change it

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I don't think any sides should be chopped or relocated, and the game can support two new teams. Perth and a second Brisbane side. We should be growing/expanding the game instead of pissing off a team's fan base.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25579
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by PigRickman » September 4, 2019, 8:24 am

I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2771
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Billy Walker » September 4, 2019, 9:00 am

PigRickman wrote:
September 4, 2019, 8:24 am
I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
Wouldn’t look to the Pacific Islands? Good growing following but probably lack the $$ and infrastructure to make it work week in week out. Would need a big backer and would end up being expensive travel I guess.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126794
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by greeneyed » September 4, 2019, 9:41 am

Billy Walker wrote:
September 4, 2019, 9:00 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 4, 2019, 8:24 am
I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
Wouldn’t look to the Pacific Islands? Good growing following but probably lack the $$ and infrastructure to make it work week in week out. Would need a big backer and would end up being expensive travel I guess.
For all those reasons, no. And the big reason you’d say no is that it adds nothing to the value of a broadcast deal. In fact it’d probably be negative for a broadcast deal, as its expensive to broadcast from those locations and the infrastructure for it is poor.
Image

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2771
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Billy Walker » September 4, 2019, 10:08 am

greeneyed wrote:
September 4, 2019, 9:41 am
Billy Walker wrote:
September 4, 2019, 9:00 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 4, 2019, 8:24 am
I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
Wouldn’t look to the Pacific Islands? Good growing following but probably lack the $$ and infrastructure to make it work week in week out. Would need a big backer and would end up being expensive travel I guess.
For all those reasons, no. And the big reason you’d say no is that it adds nothing to the value of a broadcast deal. In fact it’d probably be negative for a broadcast deal, as its expensive to broadcast from those locations and the infrastructure for it is poor.
Unless you had a Pacific Island team that was Sydney or NZ based (to reduce travel costs) and played home games out of Sydney and NZ and one each in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. Probably still wouldn’t work but they would end up being everyone’s second favourite team if it got up.

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 352
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by GreenMachine » September 4, 2019, 12:34 pm

2 conferences (NBA) work in the US because of travel. Even now, there is debate as to whether they will continue with the system given how strong the Western conference teams are compared to the Eastern conference, notwithstanding the fact that its swings and roundabouts.

Gould's idea is not genius. In fact, it is under cooked. You can't have a 'Sydney Conference' and 'Non Sydney conference' due to the amount of travel involved for the Non Sydney teams. It's unfair.

If your going to create 'Conferences', you need another way to determine who is in each conference.

I can't think of any way to do it apart from randomised draw - which makes no sense as you could still end up with one conference where travel is significantly impacting results.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2771
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by Billy Walker » September 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

GreenMachine wrote:
September 4, 2019, 12:34 pm
2 conferences (NBA) work in the US because of travel. Even now, there is debate as to whether they will continue with the system given how strong the Western conference teams are compared to the Eastern conference, notwithstanding the fact that its swings and roundabouts.

Gould's idea is not genius. In fact, it is under cooked. You can't have a 'Sydney Conference' and 'Non Sydney conference' due to the amount of travel involved for the Non Sydney teams. It's unfair.

If your going to create 'Conferences', you need another way to determine who is in each conference.

I can't think of any way to do it apart from randomised draw - which makes no sense as you could still end up with one conference where travel is significantly impacting results.
Yeah I don’t like it. Look at Super Rugby with the Australian, NZ and South African conference system. There have been years where all the kiwi sides are stronger than anyone else in the comp but every conference is guaranteed 2 places in the finals. You end up with the second best Australian team making the finals when in reality they are the 9th or 10th best team in the comp.

sprintman
Alan Tongue
Posts: 646
Joined: July 11, 2015, 5:57 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Canberra

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by sprintman » September 4, 2019, 2:41 pm

greeneyed wrote:
September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm
Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 00fcc436f0

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
Works well in the U.S. We ain’t ‘specIal’

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126794
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by greeneyed » September 4, 2019, 2:47 pm

sprintman wrote:
September 4, 2019, 2:41 pm
greeneyed wrote:
September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm
Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 00fcc436f0

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
Works well in the U.S. We ain’t ‘specIal’
What's being proposed isn't anything like the NFL in the USA. This is basically the resumption of a suburban Sydney competition, and guaranteeing the winner a spot in a Grand Final against teams that are playing in what is virtually a national competition. I think it'd be very tempting for the one town teams to set up an actual national competition and it'd be Super League 2. And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.

What's happened in the NFL is an accident of history, really, with competing leagues eventually marrying back up through the Super Bowl.
Image

Post Reply