Top four

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30390
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Top four

Post by -TW- » September 2, 2019, 10:25 pm

We definitely had a lot more "soft" games in 2016

Tigers 60-6& 52-10
Dogs 32-20
Warriors 38-12
Souths 54-4
Manly 44-30 (Were up by a fair margin then rack cued)

Whereas we've really had

Titans 21-0
Tigers 28-0
Warriors 46-12

There were a couple of others ie Parra at home but we had to work hard for those wins, even with the margin.

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6467
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: Top four

Post by Azza » September 2, 2019, 11:16 pm

Depending on who you ask we're either going to go into the finals battle hardened and primed for the fight or fatigued after a big month and a half of football.

I think we'll be ok though

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30390
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Top four

Post by -TW- » September 2, 2019, 11:32 pm

Personally I'd be happy if Stick let them go in flat this weekend, or half amped.

You look at Storm v Titans last weekend and Bellamy didn't get them up for that at all, and it showed in their first half. Probably gave them a small spray in the break and they put it into 2nd to get the win without expending much energy

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


TongueFTW
Simon Woolford
Posts: 497
Joined: August 3, 2008, 10:40 am

Re: Top four

Post by TongueFTW » September 3, 2019, 7:49 am

I keep saying it, but every player and season is different. There is no one answer to resting players. I think we have had an unusually difficult last 4 weeks - not just the opposition, but all of the games were close and physical. We have players playing their first full season of NRL (Bateman, CNK), others clearly carrying injuries (Rapana), Origin reps (Wighton, Papalii) and players too important to lose (Hodgson). It would be silly to go at the Warriors full tilt, particularly since our likely finals opposition, the Roosters, have spent the year managing their players’ workload.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21732
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Top four

Post by Seiffert82 » September 3, 2019, 7:51 am

PigRickman wrote:
September 2, 2019, 7:18 pm
Azza wrote:
September 2, 2019, 6:50 pm
There's no doubt Hodgson has been off the last few weeks. Just that he still comes up with match winning plays.
absolutely
He's not been at his best but yesterday when wer started to find our way, it was because Hodgson was scheming out of hooker, engaging the line and getting his forward going forward
So why doesn't he start the game like that? Like Cameron Smith does.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25579
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Top four

Post by PigRickman » September 3, 2019, 7:57 am

Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:51 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 2, 2019, 7:18 pm
Azza wrote:
September 2, 2019, 6:50 pm
There's no doubt Hodgson has been off the last few weeks. Just that he still comes up with match winning plays.
absolutely
He's not been at his best but yesterday when wer started to find our way, it was because Hodgson was scheming out of hooker, engaging the line and getting his forward going forward
So why doesn't he start the game like that? Like Cameron Smith does.
I guess the simple answer is, he’s not Cameron Smith
He’s an excellent footballer but not the greatest player to ever play the game, haha
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18885
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Top four

Post by edwahu » September 3, 2019, 8:34 am

Every game day someone breaks out the "that's why he is no Cameron Smith" call.

Smith screws up all the time anyway. There are no perfect players.

User avatar
Mickey_Raider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1969
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Canberra

Re: Top four

Post by Mickey_Raider » September 3, 2019, 8:42 am

Got so excited on the way to work today.

Play two games in a row at something resembling our best and we are going to the Grand Final 😲
Canberra Raiders: Est. 1982 .... 89,90,94

RAIDERS TILL I DIE!

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 352
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Top 4

Post by GreenMachine » September 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Northern Raider wrote:
September 1, 2019, 10:05 pm
Azza wrote:
September 1, 2019, 9:57 pm
Yep this 2019 side is definitely mentally tougher, if not as flashy as the 2016 side.
Should be noted that in 2016 the non-flashy but tough team won the GF.
Great points above!
Love the 2019 Team - the toughness in this current team is what I've wished for us for a very long time.
Credit to Stick, Cappy and everyone involved!

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6813
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Top four

Post by zim » September 3, 2019, 10:41 am

PigRickman wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:51 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 2, 2019, 7:18 pm
Azza wrote:
September 2, 2019, 6:50 pm
There's no doubt Hodgson has been off the last few weeks. Just that he still comes up with match winning plays.
absolutely
He's not been at his best but yesterday when wer started to find our way, it was because Hodgson was scheming out of hooker, engaging the line and getting his forward going forward
So why doesn't he start the game like that? Like Cameron Smith does.
I guess the simple answer is, he’s not Cameron Smith
He’s an excellent footballer but not the greatest player to ever play the game, haha
It's also the lack of fatigue in the opposition line. The line speed, ruck slow down and marker reaction is always a little better at the start.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2772
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Top four

Post by Billy Walker » September 3, 2019, 10:58 am

Croker interviewed well on League 360 last night - it was interesting to hear his comparison between this year and 2016. He said 2016 had a carnival feel to it with Telstra tower and bridges being lit up green and everyone getting excited. He said the feel this year among the group and the fans was that there was a job to be done. He mentioned the different feel among the fan base a couple of times actually. He makes a good point. I get the feeling nobody is just happy to be there this year - expectations are quite high.

Hazza
Dean Lance
Posts: 814
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Top four

Post by Hazza » September 3, 2019, 11:13 am

edwahu wrote:
September 3, 2019, 8:34 am
Every game day someone breaks out the "that's why he is no Cameron Smith" call.

Smith screws up all the time anyway. There are no perfect players.
I wish Hodgo screwed up as much as Cameron Smith. Gee let's be honest Hodgson isn't in the same universe as Cam Smith and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding. 9.5/10 Smith takes the right option. Hodgo probably 7/10.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18885
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Top four

Post by edwahu » September 3, 2019, 11:39 am

Hazza wrote:
September 3, 2019, 11:13 am
edwahu wrote:
September 3, 2019, 8:34 am
Every game day someone breaks out the "that's why he is no Cameron Smith" call.

Smith screws up all the time anyway. There are no perfect players.
I wish Hodgo screwed up as much as Cameron Smith. Gee let's be honest Hodgson isn't in the same universe as Cam Smith and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding. 9.5/10 Smith takes the right option. Hodgo probably 7/10.
Yeah that's the point though. Constantly pointing out Hodgo isn't the best player ever is no scoop.

And even Smith only managed 4 try assists last year, a stat which Hodgo would get hammered for on here. I guess Cameron Smith was no Cameron Smith last season.

Hazza
Dean Lance
Posts: 814
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Top four

Post by Hazza » September 3, 2019, 11:46 am

edwahu wrote:
September 3, 2019, 11:39 am
Hazza wrote:
September 3, 2019, 11:13 am
edwahu wrote:
September 3, 2019, 8:34 am
Every game day someone breaks out the "that's why he is no Cameron Smith" call.

Smith screws up all the time anyway. There are no perfect players.
I wish Hodgo screwed up as much as Cameron Smith. Gee let's be honest Hodgson isn't in the same universe as Cam Smith and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding. 9.5/10 Smith takes the right option. Hodgo probably 7/10.
Yeah that's the point though. Constantly pointing out Hodgo isn't the best player ever is no scoop.

And even Smith only managed 4 try assists last year, a stat which Hodgo would get hammered for on here. I guess Cameron Smith was no Cameron Smith last season.
Yeah look by no means am i suggesting Cameron Smith is in the same class as Cameron Smith.

Hazza
Dean Lance
Posts: 814
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Top four

Post by Hazza » September 3, 2019, 11:50 am

Not convinced about the 4 try assists last year stat either, not sure where you got that stat from

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18885
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Top four

Post by edwahu » September 3, 2019, 11:54 am

Hazza wrote:
September 3, 2019, 11:50 am
Not convinced about the 4 try assists last year stat either, not sure where you got that stat from
https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premier ... ron-smith/

Scroll to the bottom

Hazza
Dean Lance
Posts: 814
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Top four

Post by Hazza » September 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

edwahu wrote:
September 3, 2019, 11:54 am
Hazza wrote:
September 3, 2019, 11:50 am
Not convinced about the 4 try assists last year stat either, not sure where you got that stat from
https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premier ... ron-smith/

Scroll to the bottom
Well there ya go. Obviously the way fox stats award try assists is vastly different to nrl.com cos he was still killing it at Supercoach.

User avatar
papabear
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6156
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern

Re: Top four

Post by papabear » September 3, 2019, 12:48 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:
September 2, 2019, 6:36 pm
Yep, the three shutouts and our ability to stay in the contest have been streets ahead of where we have been for a decade. It's really just our attack that can be all over the shop.

To a large degree this comes down to Hodgson's mood. If he just focusses on getting good, clean ball to his halves then everything flows from there. When he overplays his hand we look crap. Like next level crap. Passes going to ground, stupid inside balls on the last, rushed kicks from our halves - just no composure.
I 100% agree with you.

To me though with hodgson, because he is our main man, he believes he has to be the main man all the time, that showed with some **** field goal attempts that should have been kicks to the corner that almost bombed the game.

IMO hodgson should overplay his hand all he like as we roll up field, when we get in the attacking zone, of the first 4 plays atleast two have to go either jack or sezer every time, less then that is an abomination. Keeping in mind that although hodgson is our best player, wighton and papalii are our two most threatening players in the attacking zone.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21732
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Top four

Post by Seiffert82 » September 3, 2019, 6:19 pm

PigRickman wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:51 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 2, 2019, 7:18 pm
Azza wrote:
September 2, 2019, 6:50 pm
There's no doubt Hodgson has been off the last few weeks. Just that he still comes up with match winning plays.
absolutely
He's not been at his best but yesterday when wer started to find our way, it was because Hodgson was scheming out of hooker, engaging the line and getting his forward going forward
So why doesn't he start the game like that? Like Cameron Smith does.
I guess the simple answer is, he’s not Cameron Smith
He’s an excellent footballer but not the greatest player to ever play the game, haha
That's ridiculous.
It shouldn't be that hard for a player to keep it simple. I'm not asking him to do things he's not capable of. On the contrary... I'm asking him to rein it in a bit to focus on the basics for 20 minutes. It's well within his capability.

User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6467
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: Top four

Post by Azza » September 4, 2019, 11:30 am

I think a few objective observers have gone off us as a legitimate premiership threat over the last couple of weeks which I can understand as we haven't been that convincing. Probably a good thing for us to go under the radar a bit

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25579
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Top four

Post by PigRickman » September 4, 2019, 11:57 am

Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 6:19 pm
PigRickman wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:51 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 2, 2019, 7:18 pm
Azza wrote:
September 2, 2019, 6:50 pm
There's no doubt Hodgson has been off the last few weeks. Just that he still comes up with match winning plays.
absolutely
He's not been at his best but yesterday when wer started to find our way, it was because Hodgson was scheming out of hooker, engaging the line and getting his forward going forward
So why doesn't he start the game like that? Like Cameron Smith does.
I guess the simple answer is, he’s not Cameron Smith
He’s an excellent footballer but not the greatest player to ever play the game, haha
That's ridiculous.
It shouldn't be that hard for a player to keep it simple. I'm not asking him to do things he's not capable of. On the contrary... I'm asking him to rein it in a bit to focus on the basics for 20 minutes. It's well within his capability.
Of course it's within his capability, but playing to your capabilities every minute of every game is why Cam Smith is Cam Smith and why others arent.
You can say it's ridiculous if you want, but it is what it is, Hodgson is a phenomenal footballer and he can have truly dominant games and hopefully we'll get them at the right moments but unfortunately he also over plays his hand sometimes, and doesnt always take the right option, that's his flaw as a player, we live with it, because he's not flawless.

Cam Smith is Cam Smith because he is basically a flawless footballer.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21732
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Top four

Post by Seiffert82 » September 4, 2019, 10:02 pm

PigRickman wrote:
September 4, 2019, 11:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 6:19 pm
PigRickman wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
September 3, 2019, 7:51 am
PigRickman wrote:
September 2, 2019, 7:18 pm


absolutely
He's not been at his best but yesterday when wer started to find our way, it was because Hodgson was scheming out of hooker, engaging the line and getting his forward going forward
So why doesn't he start the game like that? Like Cameron Smith does.
I guess the simple answer is, he’s not Cameron Smith
He’s an excellent footballer but not the greatest player to ever play the game, haha
That's ridiculous.
It shouldn't be that hard for a player to keep it simple. I'm not asking him to do things he's not capable of. On the contrary... I'm asking him to rein it in a bit to focus on the basics for 20 minutes. It's well within his capability.
Of course it's within his capability, but playing to your capabilities every minute of every game is why Cam Smith is Cam Smith and why others arent.
You can say it's ridiculous if you want, but it is what it is, Hodgson is a phenomenal footballer and he can have truly dominant games and hopefully we'll get them at the right moments but unfortunately he also over plays his hand sometimes, and doesnt always take the right option, that's his flaw as a player, we live with it, because he's not flawless.

Cam Smith is Cam Smith because he is basically a flawless footballer.
Well if we can't blame Hodgo for overpaying his hand, it's ordinary coaching then.

Cam Smith is like clockwork and he clearly sees the game in such a way that he's two plays ahead of everyone and seems to have all the time in the world. It's fair to say Hodgson plays in the moment, but he is certainly capable of pulling his head in and keeping it simple early in the game. He used to be quite good at that. Not sure what has changed.

Post Reply