Total votes: 16

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:11 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:05 pm No way Ricky is taking this game lightly. It's just not his style.

Resting guys with niggles just shows he thinks we are a legitimate chance of going the whole way and is planning for another month of footy.

And I don't see how resting those guys means the rest of the team will phone it in. Most of the guys coming in will be playing their guts out to show Ricky they're the man if there's a sniff of an opportunity during the finals.

The majority of the team is unchanged and they will be totally focused on executing the game plan they've fallen away from at times over the last few weeks. I reckon Ricky will have told Hodgo and the halves to ensure every set ends with a decent option.
Again, there's two separate discussions taking place here, and I think you're missing the reason most of us are debating. Nobody has a problem with those four guys being rested.
TBH I think there's now 3 separate discussions going on.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2019, 1:19 pm
Woodgers wrote: September 4, 2019, 1:06 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:05 pm No way Ricky is taking this game lightly. It's just not his style.

Resting guys with niggles just shows he thinks we are a legitimate chance of going the whole way and is planning for another month of footy.

And I don't see how resting those guys means the rest of the team will phone it in. Most of the guys coming in will be playing their guts out to show Ricky they're the man if there's a sniff of an opportunity during the finals.

The majority of the team is unchanged and they will be totally focused on executing the game plan they've fallen away from at times over the last few weeks. I reckon Ricky will have told Hodgo and the halves to ensure every set ends with a decent option.
Yeah I agree with this 100% and the point I was going to make is the same one you've made, putting the onus on the regular bench and fringe players to come in and see the regular season out on behalf of their mates can't be underestimated. To Ricky's credit this is a club, not a 1st grade team and they look like a group playing for each other. It's beneficial that we get more run in the legs of guys like Havili, Horse, Lui and even Sam Williams who could be called upon for a bigger role in the finals. Personally I wouldn't be playing Papa, Hodgson or Wighton either and I still think the replacements could come in and do a job against the Warriors, and that isn't taking the Warriors lightly and throwing away 2 points, I genuinely think we can get what we want out of the game with minimal risk to the overall goal. I also think it would be beneficial especially after the events of last week to give Sezer the keys and let him run the show, I don't think that is breaking any combos but moreso preparing him for the next month and getting his hands on the ball more.

As has been mentioned multiple times, these chances are few and far between and i'm still not completely over being there in the outer ground in 1993 hearing Sticky screaming in pain in that final match against Parra. Personally I think minimising any of those big risks are worth it, even if we drop the game. I think the recent Storm and Sharks games have given us enough confidence and momentum to go all the way even if a few guys are wrapped in cotton wool for a week.

Assuming we play the Roosters week 1, it is fair to predict they are going to be in a heck of a game on Thursday against their arch rivals that have more to play for. Going in fresh against them in week 1 is potentially the key to the entire finals series, we win that game next week and we are in with the biggest shout in over 2 decades, even moreso than 2016 with a home prelim on the horizon. This could be one of the few exception to the age old cliche of taking it a week at a time.
100%.
Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture and be fluid in your approach. This is one of those rare times IMO and I think Stick is thinking the same.
Agreed all round. In my opinion, the Sharks loss in Week 1 of the 2016 Finals cost us our shot of winning the comp that year. We just need to put ourselves in the best possible position to beat the Roosters or Storm (whoever we play).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:15 pm I don't think resting key personnel means were taking the game lightly.
I also don't believe we go into the match with any other mentality apart from wanting to win - regardless who lines up.

I suspect if the Roosters roll the Rabbits, there will be absolutely nothing to play for, as our position in the top 4 cannot change and more players will be rightfully rested.

I think some people are a little 'scarred' from past experience and seem to equate resting key personnel with 'phoning it in'. Its a ridiculous association to make if you have paid any attention to the schedule we have just come through and our form during that schedule.
I don't have any problem with players carrying injuries being given the week off to help them shake the niggles.

I've no idea what the coaches/team are thinking about the match and how they're preparing. My comments are in relation to some of the posts in this thread - and I hope the team isn't sharing the view that a) winning doesn't matter, in any match, let alone on the eve of the finals... footy teams should never have the mentality that they're happy to lose a game, they always have to have the mentality that they want to win any contest they're in. That's sure fire way to develop a losing culture; and b) we can afford to rest a whole lot more players and/or players who do play should only play half the minutes they normally do... if the match is well and truly won, sure, take key players off.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:15 pm I don't think resting key personnel means were taking the game lightly.
I also don't believe we go into the match with any other mentality apart from wanting to win - regardless who lines up.

I suspect if the Roosters roll the Rabbits, there will be absolutely nothing to play for, as our position in the top 4 cannot change and more players will be rightfully rested.

I think some people are a little 'scarred' from past experience and seem to equate resting key personnel with 'phoning it in'. Its a ridiculous association to make if you have paid any attention to the schedule we have just come through and our form during that schedule.
I don't have any problem with players carrying injuries being given the week off to help them shake the niggles.

I've no idea what the coaches/team are thinking about the match and how they're preparing. My comments are in relation to some of the posts in this thread - and I hope the team isn't sharing the view that a) winning doesn't matter, in any match, let alone on the eve of the finals... footy teams should never have the mentality that they're happy to lose a game, they always have to have the mentality that they want to win any contest they're in. That's sure fire way to develop a losing culture; and b) we can afford to rest a whole lot more players and/or players who do play should only play half the minutes they normally do... if the match is well and truly won, sure, take key players off.
Hear hear, 100% spot on, Ferg.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Completely agree!

Nothing wrong with resting players with injuries, smart move from the coach.

If we are well ahead early showers for anyone we can and bigger minutes for back up players, makes sense on every level.

Intentionally losing the game to play the Storm in week 1 or essentially doing the same by playing a reserve grade team is absolutely phoning it in and sends the wrong message to everyone. We should want to win this game well as we head into the finals and with the announced changes we are strong enough to do it.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

But you're not deliberately losing, you're backing the players you have in your squad to get the job done at home.

Besides Kris who has had limited chances, the entire backline is first grade standard - Simmonson, Oldfield, Croker, Cotric. We won plenty of games with Williams in the halves this year and Sezer is our regular halfback. Then you're still looking at starting props of Lui and Sutton and a back row of Whitehead, Young and probably Tapine, or if he doesn't play Horse starts, Sutton to 13. Guler, JJ Collins, Murchie and Starling on the bench. Havili to get some much needed minutes, probably 50 in the 9. The bench is definitely weaker but there is 1st grade experience there. The Warriors are incredibly hot and cold so who knows which side shows up on Saturday but I would not rule out that side taking it to the Warriors anyway. It's probably a better side than our best 13 during some periods of our history :D .

The counter argument to the early shower is if Hodgson or Papa get carried off after 10 minutes, which could happen the week after and shoot our chances in the foot...but you're eliminating that risk this week.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 1:50 pm

I did say that the team (whoever lines up) will be playing to win. That is a given.

My point , is that where we can rest key personnel and avoid a potential 1993 scenario, we should be doing so.

Particularly if Thursday night's result makes 3rd spot a lock.

That doesn't equate to me saying 'I'm happy to lose' or 'the team being happy to lose'. It has nothing to do with mentality. The results so far this season show we are a different beast as a team mentally.

That equates to being smart about our preparation for the finals.

However way you decide to look at it, the game against the Warriors is of less importance than week 1 of the finals.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I have faith that the team will be taking the game seriously.
Losing 2 of the last 3 games should have erased any complacency anyway. Plus the fact that poor performances could cost a player a spot in the team.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:The other question is... is losing to the Warriors on the eve of the finals, good preparation for the finals? I'd think not.
Neither the coach or players strike me as being somewhat irresponsible as this.

I think it's a big picture thing.

Either way, we're playing Melbourne or roosters. We need our players at or as close to 100% for that game as we can.

There's way more at stake for ab game in 2 weeks than this weekend.

Robinson and Bellamy have both done this over the past 2 years, at some stage.

The 17 that play this weekend will give their all. No doubt.

We're just preparing for a bigger, stronger, harder opponent in 2 weeks.

We're also giving some fringe players a last minute NRL experience.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Short of the Warriors getting up 88-0 following on from a Souths win and Manly over the Eels (resulting in us dropping to 5th), this is sound squad management by Stuart.

We're due for a win at home, especially considering the crowds we've had this year!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote: September 4, 2019, 4:05 pm
greeneyed wrote:The other question is... is losing to the Warriors on the eve of the finals, good preparation for the finals? I'd think not.

Either way, we're playing Melbourne or roosters. We need our players at or as close to 100% for that game as we can.

As I made clear, my comments were directed at those saying that "losing is OK", and not only rest the injured players, let's rest a whole lot of other players and/or play them for half their usual stint. And while I have no idea of what the coach and team are doing, I was simply hoping that the club did not have the approach of the aforementioned comments.

I don't think Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson would ever say that it is fine if we lose. That's the difference between winning cultures and losing cultures.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders turn down chance to rest easy

Canberra Raiders co-captains Josh Hodgson and Jarrod Croker led a number of Green Machine stars who knocked back the chance for a weekend off.

"[Stuart] was up for resting quite a few of us. Most boys said they want to play," Hodgson said. "That was a good attitude to have. There were a few boys where he was just a straight no, he wants you to have a bit of a rest.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine to decide if ribs can handle New Zealand Warriors

It'll be in Joe Tapine's hands, well ribs actually, that decide whether the Canberra Raiders forward comes into the side to face the New Zealand Warriors.

"I think he'll just have a look at it today and see what he thinks himself. We've got important games coming so we want our players ready for those sort of games."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Where will the Raiders finish and who will they play in the NRL finals?

The Canberra Raiders have already secured a place in the NRL's top four for just the second time in 16 years, but they still don't know who and where they'll play in the first week of the finals.

"We haven't really looked past any games this year. We really haven't achieved anything," Nicoll-Klokstad said. "We have made top four, but lose and then lose again, and you're out of the finals.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders give Elliott Whitehead perfect birthday surprise

All of Elliott Whitehead's birthday wishes have come true after his Canberra Raiders teammates bought him the perfect present - a new electric scooter. A thief pinched his old one in broad daylight back in April.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -surprise/

VIDEO: Whitehead's surprise birthday present: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... y-present/

Josh Hodgson on high alert for a Warriors ambush

Far from taking the 13th placed Warriors lightly this weekend, Josh Hodgson says the Raiders are on high alert for a dangerous opponent hell-bent on finishing a disappointing season on a high.

"It's still a really important game for us to finish off on a high and up the ladder as far as we can," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/04/hod ... rs-ambush/

Who is the best coach of 2019? https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/04/bes ... their-say/

Raiders' depth behind 2019 NRL success: Hodgson

There are two recurring themes which clubs attribute to premiership success - depth and defence - and Canberra captain Josh Hodgson believes the Raiders have both in 2019.

"This year has been the best we've had in terms of depth but we probably didn't expect that until we saw how well these younger boys were going in the pre-season," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-de ... a1a12883ba

VIDEO: Hodgson hails emergence of Raiders youth in 2019: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... h-in-2019/

Jack Wighton backs Aidan Sezer to fight for Raiders spot next season: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jack- ... 559552a080

How the Raiders became champions on and off the field: https://the-riotact.com/how-raiders-bec ... eld/321795

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Warriors: Glen Buttriss is this week's Viking Clap Ambassador: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -warriors/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Josh Papalii and Tim Brasher: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -brasher2/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Reading all those comments... pleased to see quite a few players turned down the chance for a spell this weekend... and that they're very determined to finish as high on the ladder as they can and win on Saturday!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 4:42 pm

As I made clear, my comments were directed at those saying that "losing is OK", and not only rest the injured players, let's rest a whole lot of other players and/or play them for half their usual stint. And while I have no idea of what the coach and team are doing, I was simply hoping that the club did not have the approach of the aforementioned comments.

I don't think Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson would ever say that it is fine if we lose. That's the difference between winning cultures and losing cultures.
Agreed 100%
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Woodgers wrote: September 4, 2019, 2:24 pm But you're not deliberately losing, you're backing the players you have in your squad to get the job done at home.

Besides Kris who has had limited chances, the entire backline is first grade standard - Simmonson, Oldfield, Croker, Cotric. We won plenty of games with Williams in the halves this year and Sezer is our regular halfback. Then you're still looking at starting props of Lui and Sutton and a back row of Whitehead, Young and probably Tapine, or if he doesn't play Horse starts, Sutton to 13. Guler, JJ Collins, Murchie and Starling on the bench. Havili to get some much needed minutes, probably 50 in the 9. The bench is definitely weaker but there is 1st grade experience there. The Warriors are incredibly hot and cold so who knows which side shows up on Saturday but I would not rule out that side taking it to the Warriors anyway. It's probably a better side than our best 13 during some periods of our history :D .

The counter argument to the early shower is if Hodgson or Papa get carried off after 10 minutes, which could happen the week after and shoot our chances in the foot...but you're eliminating that risk this week.
There have been some suggestions, not from you, that losing here is a better option and I think resting 4 injured players is reasonable. I think resting most of the starting team is lunacy and amounts to throwing the game. The gap between teams in the NRL isn't that great and if you are slightly off your game in terms of intent and effort you can get found out. It's also more likely that you get injured going in half hearted than going in 100%.

Players get injured in trampolining injuries, footy is their job. I don't want to see a key player injured either but I think it sends the wrong message to the team to rest everyone.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Great to see Raiders legend Glen Buttriss will be blowing the horn this weekend! Maybe he can give Hodgson a few tips while he is around as well!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:

My comment wasn't raised at you personally, but in the point you were raising in regards to others.... if that makes sense

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

We can’t win the comp without papa, wighton and Hodgson fit and firing. For me the equation is so simple.

Give them 12-14 days off before the biggest game of their careers and let perfectly capable replacements come in and still do a job on the woeful warriors.
Up The Milk
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 5:14 pm Reading all those comments... pleased to see quite a few players turned down the chance for a spell this weekend... and that they're very determined to finish as high on the ladder as they can and win on Saturday!
That being said, I don't think CNK, Rapa, Soliola, or Bateman would be happy about missing the Warriors game. I'd say their rests are forced. For the others it appears to have been optional.

EDIT: That does indeed appear to be the case:

"But Hodgson revealed a number of others players were also given the option to have an RDO, while some were told they were getting a rest regardless."
Last edited by Finchy on September 4, 2019, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders co-captains Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson - and forward Ryan Sutton - on Saturday's clash with the New Zealand Warriors! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/zala50vVTXc

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hopefully this proves the players are taking the game seriously and that there has not been a drop in mentality.

That being said, I won’t be surprised if more players are ‘forced’ to rest.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Will depend on the Souths game I'd say

If we can't change then I reckon Hodgo will get the tap

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

-TW- wrote: September 4, 2019, 7:05 pm Will depend on the Souths game I'd say

If we can't change then I reckon Hodgo will get the tap

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
I think you are correct.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Momentum is such a huge factor in this competition, plenty of teams can beat anyone on their day and being in a good patch of form at the right time is critical. Resting too many players would be a really surefire way to disrupt that. Important to consider as well that if we do rest half the team this week, then get a win in week 1 of the finals and getting another week off we are going into a prelim with all our key personnel only having a single game of footy under their belts for the whole month.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'd argue that this is a great chance to give some fringe guys some decent minutes in the lead up too the finals. Good insurance, I think.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ve heard a number of lessons from history this week about resting players. Jamie Soward was just saying the Dragons had the chance to rest players in the last round and didn’t... but regretted it. And they did the next year. Of course, Ricky Stuart famously refused to leave the field in 1993 in the last against the Eels, and suffered serious injury... and the Raiders didn’t win again in a year Canberra would have won a premiership with Ricky on the field. I can understand the lesson the coach learned.

However, here’s another story. In 1987, Roosters coach Artie Beetson rested players in the last round against the Raiders, with the press widely suggesting he was “playing” the Raiders into third... so they could play Canberra the next week. The Roosters lost. Artie saw the Raiders as the weakest opponent in Week 1 of the finals. And the Roosters then beat the Raiders in Week 1. But guess what happened then? The Raiders went on to defeat the Roosters in the Preliminary Final.

I’ll leave others to draw their own lessons. One for me is: don’t take the foot off the accelerator.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

That’s a great story.

Look at this stage, I’d say the attitude of the team is spot on.

Whatever Rick decides, we’ll live with it.
I don’t think Ricky (or any of players) or even the fans are suggesting dropping the game in order to finish in a certain position in the top 4. At least, I haven’t come across that argument, nor would I promote it.

I just think if the game is a dead rubber after Thursday night, we should keep as many key personnel fresh for week 1 of the finals.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I don’t think there’s a proven recipe for resting or not resting players.

Damned if you do damned if you don’t.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There is no right or wrong answer collectively. It's down to the specific circumstances of the team and players involved and the situation facing the club
Personally i've got no issues with as many players as possible resting. Ideally we come out hot as hot can be, get up 20 points in the first half and Hodgson, Wighton, Papalii and Smelly dont play a second of the 2nd half
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

regardless of what happens this week we are going to need to up our game dramatically from what it's been over the last 2 weeks in order to be competitive with the roosters or storm
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: September 4, 2019, 11:15 pm regardless of what happens this week we are going to need to up our game dramatically from what it's been over the last 2 weeks in order to be competitive with the roosters or storm
Meanwhile we’re focussed on how few players we can play to beat the Warriors. It is a recipe for a rude awakening.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I hear you. I think we'll be ok but yes it's dangerous to play with fire. however I think you might be jumping at shadows I'm sure Ricky will make the right call
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

On the resting topic I really believe it a matter of looking at the season and specifically the last month as a whole. Mentally and physically there will have been significant stress with the games played. Melbourne and the Roosters with their less pressure games appear to have been rotating players in and out.
We are likely going to be on a 6 day turnaround again a team with an 8 day turn around. We need to be fresh to combat this. I have full confidence in our “2nd tier” players and it gives them a chance to battle for positions and first grade action in case we need them during the finals.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

PigRickman wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:59 pm There is no right or wrong answer collectively. It's down to the specific circumstances of the team and players involved and the situation facing the club
Personally i've got no issues with as many players as possible resting. Ideally we come out hot as hot can be, get up 20 points in the first half and Hodgson, Wighton, Papalii and Smelly dont play a second of the 2nd half
This. If we had an easy run over the last few weeks playing (for example) the Titans and Dragons into the Warriors, that would be different. We have played an extremely physical style all year, have had a tough run, and the NRL season is way longer than it used to be. Not to mention the risk of injury. If we didn’t have the depth, I wouldn’t be in favour of it - but a similar side beat the Bulldogs in Sydney. I really think the depth we have makes this a no brainer.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If the game doesn’t matter and you rest half the teams who cares if we lose. It’s not like it’s the real team getting shown up.