Total votes: 16

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by dubby »

Azza wrote:
dubby wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:12 pm
greeneyed wrote:The message that made Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's leap of faith at the Canberra Raiders worth the risk

The nerves had been brewing in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's stomach for months.

"It wasn't until my partner spent a couple of weeks away from Canberra that she messaged and just said 'I actually miss Canberra'. That was all I was wanting to hear the whole time. It gave me a really big sense of relief and gratitude that Canberra is such a good place."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Love you, Charnze.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Well you've changed your tune since early in the year Image Image
What?

What did i do? I know i never heard of him and was quite skeptical (my usual reserved and stubborn self. Thankfully I've turned a few things around recently)

I'm always glad to be proven wrong when a player and the team exceed my expectations.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Northern Raider »

In a game that should be totally stress free I'll be sitting there stressing that nobody gets hurt.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree with you Rickman. The four changes were definitely the result of injury. A lot of discussion about Rapa and CNK and how battered they looked. I reckon all four will be happy with the spell. I would not be inclined to make additional changes. All of them would be playing with some sort of niggle but that is usual for the end of season. I think we need a side which is going all out to win and has a strong chance of doing so. Sending Mounties against the Warriors is not the best build up for Finals imo.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

Havili should also be given some serious minutes too, whether by resting Papalii or Hodgson more during the game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
Azza wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:02 pm I don't much like that team...
I think it's fine in the circumstances. What's your issue?
I think if anything it doesn’t go far enough.

If you’re playing around with the spine, you may as well give wighton a rest too, and with the depth we have you could easily give papa/whitehead/hodgo the day off as well.

That may happen anyway with tapine, starling, Williams to come in later in the week.
I think Ricky will go all the way if the Roosters beat Souths. It basically renders our match irrelevant and therefore no need to take any risks at all.
I understand people want to win our final game at home - but at what potential cost.
I think you will see the changes you suggest if the game is a dead rubber.
There can only be a couple of more changes. Tapine may or may not be fit and Rapana is named as one of the 4 reserves. Therefore only Williams and Starling can come into the side.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:04 pm I like it...common sense approach.
I suspect there will be more changes to the starting side if the Roosters beat the Rabbits on Thursday:

Havili in for Hodgson. (Starling to Bench)
Horsburgh in for Papali. (Tapine to Bench)
Williams in for Wighton.
I agree with this. There is NO WAY Hodgo plays surely. The risk v reward is just not worth it. But i also agree to hold the cards close to the chest until game day or similar or Warriors will just target that area in training all week etc.
No need at all to risk this!!!!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Hodgo and the spine have some fine tuning to do

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Like it, but like I mentioned earlier, I really think we need to give Hodgson a day off. He is the one player we cannot afford to lose. I would prefer if Wighton and Papa are also rested - which is possible if Starling, Williams and Tapine come in. Again - this is a very unique circumstance. We have played at a high intensity all season, the last 4 weeks have been brutal, and we just played 90 minutes and we are on a 6 day turnaround. We haven’t rested players during the season (correctly), and we have decent depth. I trust Stuart to make the right decisions, but I really hope he knows how unique this situation is.

In recent years everyone has gone on about the week off if you are top 4 and win in week 1 and what an advantage it is (remember Sharks/Cows in 2016). This isn’t that different.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

dubby wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:16 pm Hodgo and the spine have some fine tuning to do
They can do that at the pub.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I would prefer our strongest side plays.

There's no rotation policy here, we aren't the AUS cricket team.

Niggling injuries are a different beast..

Let Bateman play, he's a deadset maniac !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bateman is not 100% mate

We're top 4 certainties.

While I tend to agree you play your best players, I think 91. We went in at 75% and lost it. At 100% we win it.

Same in 93.

I think the rested players have been in desperate need of a week off for a while. Not that they'll admit it.

It's a gamble, but it should work.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders make big changes for New Zealand Warriors NRL clash

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has his eyes on the NRL finals after deciding to rest key players from a last-round showdown on Saturday.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Sia Soliola and John Bateman have been left out of the team to play against the New Zealand Warriors at Canberra Stadium this weekend.

Five things: Raiders V Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -warriors/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

@dubby

I've seen no evidence of Bateman not being 100%.

He just looks knackered all game because he goes off like a frog in a sock.

He's being rested..I'm ok with it.. He'll be ripping in next time.

I'm concerned about my front yard.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

Havili should also be given some serious minutes too, whether by resting Papalii or Hodgson more during the game.
I'd have Young behind Sutton and Havili personally.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Glad to see a number of them rested there. I would've like to see Papalii get a spell given how much he's played this year, but he must've wanted to play.

Suspect Hodgo will get some time on the bench with Havili getting decent minutes.

Tapine surely a late inclusion for Collins on the bench?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Ryan Sutton’s glowing praise for re-signed Canberra Raiders teammate

Canberra forward Ryan Sutton has praised the character of Raiders teammate Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad after the fullback signed a three-year contract extension with the club.

"He’s a great person on and off the field," Sutton said. "He’s a real gentleman and a real talented player and that’s all you want in a person. He’s a real people person and I’m proud to call him a teammate and a friend."

Read more and audio: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/ryan-sut ... KHcJlGHZk8
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:47 pm
The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

I don't think Havili vs Young is a conversation unless Havili AND Simonsson are making the bench together, is it??
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We’ll see what happens but I’m going to go on record saying I like this.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Agree with you on the battle of the forwards to lock down spots. I actually think Young is going to make the 17 and the battle will be between Lui and Sutton. And I think whichever wins that battle will start with Papalii and Tapine in the middle. Soliola, Horsburgh and Young as a high energy/impact bench.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:02 pm I don't much like that team...
I think it's fine in the circumstances. What's your issue?
I think if anything it doesn’t go far enough.

If you’re playing around with the spine, you may as well give wighton a rest too, and with the depth we have you could easily give papa/whitehead/hodgo the day off as well.

That may happen anyway with tapine, starling, Williams to come in later in the week.
I think Ricky will go all the way if the Roosters beat Souths. It basically renders our match irrelevant and therefore no need to take any risks at all.
I understand people want to win our final game at home - but at what potential cost.
I think you will see the changes you suggest if the game is a dead rubber.
I really hope he doesn't. Completely disrupting the entire team's performance one week out from the finals could be a complete disaster IMO.
Not worth the risk of injury.
This team has had high level matches for over a month. There is no upside if the game is a dead rubber... if anything, our fringe players get more time.
I don’t think beating up a crap Warriors side does anything for our combinations because the teams we will face in the finals won’t be defending like the Warriors.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

dubby wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:31 pm Bateman is not 100% mate

We're top 4 certainties.

While I tend to agree you play your best players, I think 91. We went in at 75% and lost it. At 100% we win it.

Same in 93.

I think the rested players have been in desperate need of a week off for a while. Not that they'll admit it.

It's a gamble, but it should work.

We lost in 93 because Sticky broke his leg making a tackle in a dead rubber against Parra where we flogged them.

Didn’t win a single game after that.

Perfect example of why you don’t take the risk.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:53 pm

I don't think Havili vs Young is a conversation unless Havili AND Simonsson are making the bench together, is it??
I’d put Sutton in front of Hudson Young from week 1 of the finals - his experience in a premiership winning team will be far more valuable than HY - even though I agree HY is probably better impact right now.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

So glad to see a number of players rested. Well done Coach
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Here's the Mounties squad for this week. I think anyone that turns up to Campbelltown Stadium gets a run this week. There's only 3 bench players before potentially 6 players are omitted: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33099&p=1690396#p1690396
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad after he extended his contract with the Green Machine to end 2023. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/ZW8E50vUk4o

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'd take Sutton over Liu TBH
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:53 pm

It isn’t to most. I just reckon Siliva is a better running forward than You g currently. And if Tapine is there he covers the edge anyway.

Either way I think fans ranking 17/18/19 in a squad differently but agreeing on the other 16 is pretty bloody healthy really.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Matt wrote:

I wouldn't. Sutton is a bit of a plodder for mine

I also think Stuart wouldn't drop him regardless of his performances though

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sutton's been pretty average since he came back

Also only played 24 minutes on Sunday, which was a bit odd for someone down on game time

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: September 3, 2019, 8:30 pm Sutton's been pretty average since he came back

Also only played 24 minutes on Sunday, which was a bit odd for someone down on game time

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
I think that’s his role in this side if we go deep or win. He starts at lock and is as staunch as possible for 20-25 mins. Tapine then plays the other 60 at lock.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2019, 8:06 pm

Me too. As great as they have been, Lui and Havili would miss out in a 17 selected by me.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Finchy wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The message that made Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's leap of faith at the Canberra Raiders worth the risk

"It wasn't until my partner spent a couple of weeks away from Canberra that she messaged and just said 'I actually miss Canberra'. That was all I was wanting to hear the whole time. It gave me a really big sense of relief and gratitude that Canberra is such a good place."

Love you, Charnze.

I was thinking the same thing! He didn't want him in first grade ever again after a round 1, 21-0 victory.
This worries me Image

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

dubby wrote:
Azza wrote:

Love you, Charnze.

What?

What did i do? I know i never heard of him and was quite skeptical (my usual reserved and stubborn self. Thankfully I've turned a few things around recently)

I'm always glad to be proven wrong when a player and the team exceed my expectations.

Same, he has exceeded my expectations and has become the sort of person in our side that we need, hopefully the week off will do them good, I think Hodgo will get a rest too btw

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

I would say it's more Sutton vs Tapine for that last spot.
Havili / young
Horse
Lui
Sutton/tapine/young

And I don't know if I'd play Joey again this season. I'd like cotric to stay right centre. Some big calls ahead for our leader

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good team
Like it a lot

Let’s go