Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Sunday 1 September 2:00pm
Shark Park
Gates open: 11:30am
Legends League Touch Match: 12:25pm
Tickets: SOLD OUT Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: 🌤 Mostly sunny. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 10 per cent. Min 12 Max 21

Round 22 2019. Manly Sea Eagles 18 - Canberra Raiders 14. It was for the most part, an ugly, stop-start affair. There were 16 penalties in the first half and 26 overall. The Sea Eagles came to Canberra Stadium with their usual tactics - to niggle, stand off side, get off the line "early" on the edges and slow the game whenever the Raiders were in possession. It was frustrating, and despite that the Raiders were the better team for a good part of the game. But at the end of the day, they didn't have the better of the scoreboard.

More on Round 23: As I saw it

The difficult assignments for the Raiders keep on coming, when they head to Cronulla on Sunday - to meet the Sharks in captain Paul Gallen's final home game.

Team changes: For the Raiders, Nick Cotric moves back to right centre, to cover the suspended Joey Leilua, who will spend two weeks on the sidelines. Bailey Simonsson comes into the team on the wing, while Siliva Havilii re-joins top 17 on the bench. For the Sharks, winger Sosaia Feki (groin) has been replaced by Sione Katoa. Jayson Bukuya comes in for Jack Williams (ankle) on the bench.

Late changes: Michael Oldfield and Tom Starling were cut from the Raiders squad of 21 on Saturday afternoon, leaving Sam Williams and Emre Guler on the extended bench. Both Williams and Guler, however, started for Mounties on Saturday afternoon, so it looks like the Raiders will be 1-17. The Sharks omitted Blayke Brailey and Matt Moylan on Saturday.

History: The Raiders have won only 34 of 75 matches against the Cronulla Sharks, for a 45 per cent win rate. Canberra has won four of the past 10 clashes between the clubs. The Raiders lost both clashes last year. They suffered a 24-16 loss in the nation's capital in Round 10, and then lost the return clash at Shark Park, 28-24, in Round 19. Earlier this year, they had a hard fought 22-20 win at Canberra Stadium - after leading 20-8 at half time.

2019 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2018 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2018 Round 10 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

The Raiders have won 12 of 33 games played between the clubs at Shark Park. Its not a great win rate for the Raiders, but the Raiders have won four of the past five games at the venue, and six of the past 10.

Form: Raiders: WWLWL
Sharks: WWLWW

In their last outing, the Sharks produced a big 42-16 win over the New Zealand Warriors at Shark Park. They have had recent wins over the Dragons (18-12), Rabbitohs (39-24) and Cowboys (16-14), but lost to the Panthers (26-20) at Penrith three weeks ago. While the Sharks have four wins from their past five - all at Shark Park - they had a five game losing streak starting with the loss to the Raiders in Round 14. The Raiders have won seven of their past 10 games.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.76 favourites, while the Sharks are paying $2.05. I’m surprised those odds are not a lot closer. The Sharks have a narrow 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a battle between third and seventh on the ladder - but the Sharks are a more dangerous team than their position on the ladder shows.

The Raiders rank slightly ahead of the Sharks in terms of points scored - but the Sharks have now scored more tries than the Green Machine (84-82). Josh Morris (13 tries), Bronson Xerri (12) and Josh Dugan (11) are the players the Raiders will need to stop from crossing the line. Jarrod Croker (12) and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (10) are Canberra's players who can sniff out a try.

The Sharks are less conservative than the Raiders with the ball. They throw more general play passes than any team in the competition (112 per game), while no team passes less than the Raiders (73 per game). The Raiders make more dummy half runs than any team in the competition, the Sharks make the least. The Raiders rank second for most one pass hit ups (78 per game), the Sharks second last (65 per game).

The Sharks make more offloads, line breaks and tackle breaks than the Raiders, but also make more errors. The Sharks rank first in the competition for errors (Raiders 12th) and fourth for handling errors (Raiders 15th). Only the Panthers have a worse completion rate than the Sharks (73 per cent, compared with 79 per cent for the Raiders, ranked third).

The Raiders defence is close to the benchmark this year - ranking second for fewest points conceded and third for fewest tries conceded. This has been the Sharks' relative weakness this year, but their defence is not too bad. They rank seventh for least points conceded and sixth for fewest tries. But there is not much difference at all in the effective tackle rates of the two teams. Both average 324 tackles made per game. The Raiders average a total 41 missed and ineffective tackles, compared with 43 for the Sharks. No team makes fewer ineffective tackles than the Raiders in 2019, but they have missed more than the Sharks.

Season record: Raiders 14 and 8 (3rd, +153)
Sharks 11 and 11 (7th, +34)

Home and away: Raiders 9 of 12 away
Sharks 8 of 11 at home

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 4 of 11
Sharks have won 3 of 10

Attack: Raiders 22 points and 3.7 tries scored per match, ranked 3rd
Sharks 22 points and 3.9 tries scored per match, ranked 5th

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.6 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Sharks 20 points and 3.2 tries conceded per match, ranked 7th

Possession: Raiders 52 per cent, Sharks 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent, Sharks 73 per cent

Running: Raiders 1585 running metres from 177 runs (17 dummy half runs), 179 kick return metres, 466 post contact metres per match
Sharks 1578 running metres from 179 runs (6 dummy half runs), 174 kick return metres, 419 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 33, Sharks 34

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Sharks 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Sharks 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Sharks 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Sharks 10 per match

Kicking: Raiders 568 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Sharks 477 kicking metres from 18 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 324 made, 29 missed, 12 ineffective per match
Sharks 324 made, 27 missed, 16 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1351, Sharks 1367 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Sharks 12 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Sharks 7 per match

Our tip: This is going to be yet another match of semi final intensity for Canberra, the fourth in a month. Hopefully it is hardening them for the semi finals campaign, but they have now lost two of their past three, and these games must also be taking their toll physically and mentally on the players. Ricky Stuart has given the team a couple of days off to freshen up. As mentioned, it is the final home game for Cronulla captain Paul Gallen, and the match is a sell out, a crowd of perhaps 22,000. It'll be like a cauldron for the Raiders.

In terms of tactics, I expect it'll be a "gutter fight". The Sharks will have noted the successful tactics of the Sea Eagles last weekend. We can expect the Sharks to stand off side all day, lie in the ruck all day, and niggle all day. And that's how they've beaten the Raiders before, too often for any Raiders fan's liking. The Raiders will need to overpower the Sharks in the middle if they're to be any chance in this game. If they can, that will provide the platform for the points to flow. Shark Park used to be a "hoodoo" ground for Canberra, but their recent record at the venue is a positive one. This match could easily go either way. I expect it to be very close. But the Raiders have had a tough recent run, and the emotion of Gallen's final home game might prove the difference. I'm going to tip the Sharks by two, but I'm hoping to see the Raiders spoil the party.

What they're saying:

Ryan Sutton: "We spoke about it, we've got to take it to their middles, and at the end of the day we're one of the most prolific forward packs in the league. We get through a lot of work and our game plan was to work over their middles. It's all good starting well, but you've got to make sure you're playing good footy for 80 minutes."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Hudson Young

18. Sam Williams
19. Emre Guler

Injury/Suspension
Joey Leilua (Suspended) Finals Week 1
Joe Tapine (Ribs) Round 24-25
Ata Hingano (Shoulder) Round 24-25
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Cronulla Sharks

1. Josh Dugan
2. Sione Katoa
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Josh Morris
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Shaun Johnson
7. Chad Townsend
8. Aaron Woods
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Briton Nikora
12. Wade Graham
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Capewell
15. Braden Hamlin-Uele
16. Andrew Fifita
17. Jayson Bukuya

18. Billy Magoulias
20. Kyle Flanagan

Officials

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Phil Henderson
Sideline Officials: Nick Morel, Belinda Sharpe
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLSharksRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

UPDATED GAME DAY PREVIEW

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#NRLSharksRaiders Check out The GH's Game Day preview for Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks! Full squads, officials, history, form, stat attack... everything you need to know!

📚 and 📺 here: http://ow.ly/hRgT50vKCkc

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

For anyone without a ticket, don't come. Its a sell out

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

why do we always have such bad winning percentages against teams... 45% against sharks, 38 against manly, 20 somethin against the storm... are we really that bad :?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lucky wrote: August 27, 2019, 9:44 pm why do we always have such bad winning percentages against teams... 45% against sharks, 38 against manly, 20 somethin against the storm... are we really that bad :?
Yes, we have been.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Because the raiders have been utter mediocrity and rubbish for the last 15 - 20 years. Simples
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We are 3/3 v Adelaide Rams..that's awesome.

So don't go telling me we don't have the wood over some clubs..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: August 27, 2019, 9:38 pm For anyone without a ticket, don't come. Its a sell out

Apparently another batch of tickets goes on sale today, last batch.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Oh goodie, an over crowded hill , this will be fun

Vaccinated
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

**** sake. Sold out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

These past 20 years? Yes.
Lucky wrote:why do we always have such bad winning percentages against teams... 45% against sharks, 38 against manly, 20 somethin against the storm... are we really that bad :?
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

God looking at those highlights we got stitched up hard in that Round 19 game last season against the Sharks. Makes me angry watching it. Hopefully there is nothing of the sort this Sunday.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Raider47 wrote: August 28, 2019, 6:49 pm God looking at those highlights we got stitched up hard in that Round 19 game last season against the Sharks. Makes me angry watching it. Hopefully there is nothing of the sort this Sunday.
And guess who's reffing? Yup, it's Sutton, again.

Klein in the box. Holy mother of pearl we'd better bring the A-game EDIT.
Last edited by greeneyed on August 30, 2019, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

K its official now, best we can do is 3rd and worst we can do is 5th... in reality its been a decent year considering where we finished last year.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

This won't be easy.

Unreliable officials, huge, emotional occasion in front of a packed house.

But I believe we can win. Go you raiders.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Green..everyday !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Good motivation to win this now the bunnies have gone past us, we need our 3rd place back!

This will be tough, everything against us but the Cronulla crowd only cheer when they’re winning. We can take them out of the equation.

So far we are 1/3 in semi final type games. Time to make it 2/4!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders omit Michael Oldfield and Tom Starling from their squad of 21 to face the Cronulla Sharks, and it looks like they will be 1-17. Latest squads: http://ow.ly/Dl8W50vQGOn

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

I’ve just received the post-match coverage email from the Raiders! Anyone want spoilers for what happens tomorrow?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: August 31, 2019, 7:06 pm I’ve just received the post-match coverage email from the Raiders! Anyone want spoilers for what happens tomorrow? Image
Sure.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ends up a convincing win to the Raiders 32-14.

Paul Gallen has a massive cry.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Does anyone by chance have a spare ticket. Just one? I've found one but would love one more so I can bring the fam for Father's day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

The longer I stay up the quicker game day comes around.

One more cup of coffee before I go..
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

Pre game day still here in Zagreb. Unlike last week I will (hopefully) have slept in and will awake to a solid Raiders victory.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

Refs will blow us out of the game because of the occasion I fear,NRL wants the gal Fairytale.
Fear the worse
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

We're gonna have to bring the A game for sure. No slip-ups. And everyone needs to keep their cool.

Let's make this a win for the ages!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Besides one good performance against Souths 5 weeks ago Cronulla have been very, very ordinary all year.

The only thing of concern should be how big their bench is compared to ours.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: September 1, 2019, 8:20 am Besides one good performance against Souths 5 weeks ago Cronulla have been very, very ordinary all year.

This. If we can match it with them from the bench, it will go a long way to deciding the win. I would actually put Horsburgh and Young on at the same time, and save Lui for a 20 minute second half stint.

If we win today, it gives us a chance to make a decision on resting players next week as it is likely a win today means we finish 3rd regardless of next week. We could choose to rest some players who might be carrying injuries - CNK, Wighton, Rapana, Hodgson and Papa. First things first and we focus on this game, but that could be a huge benefit given how tough our last few weeks have been (though I realise the Storm have sworn off resting players after they were knocked out one year in straight sets when they did it).
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Yeah theres a theory that if you want to rest players leading into the finals you give them training off and just let them play the game.
Dont delete this GE
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

julian87 wrote: September 1, 2019, 8:20 am Besides one good performance against Souths 5 weeks ago Cronulla have been very, very ordinary all year.

That's precisely why today is so dangerous, though. A great risk that we underestimate them, a hostile crowd, the Sharks amped for a big occasion, and one ref on the ground and another in the bunker who legitimately hate us. We will have to be completely switched on to make this work.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ve never seen a bigger stitch up than that game last year. I didn’t watch another game until the annual grand final get together my group of friends have.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

simo wrote: September 1, 2019, 8:53 am Yeah theres a theory that if you want to rest players leading into the finals you give them training off and just let them play the game.
That’s the workload theory around rep players origin time. If you can rest players having booked your top 4 spot it’s not a bad thing if some are playing busted imo.

Looking too far ahead here though imo.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game day fellow martians!
Caaaarn the Mighty Green Machine!
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

What's this article about Cotric trying to salvage season? Is he injured? Daily tele won't let me read
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love