Joey Leilua

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
PerthRaider86
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 925
Joined: May 23, 2014, 6:53 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Joey Leilua

Post by PerthRaider86 » August 25, 2019, 6:23 pm

After today.... We don't need his carelessness. We have Oldfield and Simonson
Perth Based Raiders Fan

Cant wait for the Raiders to come back to WA !!!!!

Member of the 'Bad Supporters Club' :thumbsup

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by GreenMachine » August 25, 2019, 6:26 pm

I honestly would. I’d upgrade CNK and give Cotric a full offseason at centre.

We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.

User avatar
I'm Bate Man
Jason Croker
Posts: 4037
Joined: March 9, 2008, 8:22 pm
Favourite Player: Hodgson
Location: Sylvania

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by I'm Bate Man » August 25, 2019, 6:27 pm

I doubt we have to worry about him for a few weeks tbh.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.

User avatar
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12935
Joined: February 25, 2008, 3:02 pm
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Begbie » August 25, 2019, 6:27 pm

The first one was stupidly careless, the second had nothing in it. We don't want an 'incident' happening in a final but he's good enough to be worth the risk imo.

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6483
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Favourite Player: Jersh McCrerne
Location: Sydney

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by afgtnk » August 25, 2019, 6:28 pm

Look, I know that was an emotional loss. And indeed BJ did some classic BJ things. However, it's a resounding no from me.

Take the downside with the up.

User avatar
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1687
Joined: May 10, 2011, 10:32 am
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Lucky » August 25, 2019, 6:28 pm

Today was one of his rocks game.... next week, diamonds maybe? who knows....

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23078
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Northern Raider » August 25, 2019, 6:30 pm

Here we go :roll:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Posts: 435
Joined: September 1, 2013, 7:27 pm
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Grün Maschine » August 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

Hads cotric completely gone out of form when he moved back to the wing

User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6474
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Azza » August 25, 2019, 6:32 pm

Yeah complete overreaction. We know what we get with Joey. I'm happy with him in the side. He will win us more matches with his play before the season is out.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25606
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by PigRickman » August 25, 2019, 6:32 pm

It's a no from me
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30637
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by dubby » August 25, 2019, 6:36 pm

They're worse. Not as stupid or wildly erratic, but you get what you get with BJ
PerthRaider86 wrote:After today.... We don't need his carelessness. We have Oldfield and Simonson
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Image

User avatar
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10754
Joined: January 6, 2005, 8:44 pm
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Canberra Milk » August 25, 2019, 6:37 pm

We're a team who needs every advantage we can get. That means Joey at his best, have to ride his lows

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by GreenMachine » August 25, 2019, 6:37 pm

I just don’t see the upside in BJ’s game like many do.

I see a loose cannon that instinctively reverts to loose behaviour no matter how long you think you have him on the straight and narrow.

Today was costly.

8 points instead of 6.... it means we’re still only 2 points down with Croker’s miss.

How people see the need to blame the loss on Croker for the missed conversion, yet gloss over BJ’s extraordinarily stupid play is beyond me.

I don’t understand why he even bothers to chase a player for 90 metres, only to jump on his back with his knees. Just stupid.

Pete Cash
Jason Croker
Posts: 4479
Joined: May 10, 2008, 7:21 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Pete Cash » August 25, 2019, 6:38 pm

Nah

The whole team lost their heads. Beej just as the dumbest raider makes the dumbest errors. He is still one of our best.

Pete Cash
Jason Croker
Posts: 4479
Joined: May 10, 2008, 7:21 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Pete Cash » August 25, 2019, 6:40 pm

GreenMachine wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:37 pm
I just don’t see the upside in BJ’s game like many do.

I see a loose cannon that instinctively reverts to loose behaviour no matter how long you think you have him on the straight and narrow.

Today was costly.

8 points instead of 6.... it means we’re still only 2 points down with Croker’s miss.

How people see the need to blame the loss on Croker for the missed conversion, yet gloss over BJ’s extraordinarily stupid play is beyond me.

I don’t understand why he even bothers to chase a player for 90 metres, only to jump on his back with his knees. Just stupid.
Honest question ?

How do you not see the upside in his game ? Its the most obvious upside I have ever seen. He is one of the most physically gifted players in the competition he just has a peanut for a brain.

For the record he has been much better this year with the dumb stuff. He just cannot handle playing Manly

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15309
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by yeh raiders » August 25, 2019, 6:40 pm

The blokes’ second-up from a spell after a very serious injury.

He’s just cleaning out the cobwebs before he peaks in the finals.

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6483
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Favourite Player: Jersh McCrerne
Location: Sydney

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by afgtnk » August 25, 2019, 6:42 pm

Calling BJ the dumbest player we have and leaving it at that is doing him a huge disservice which doesn't paint an accurate picture.

Yes, he can often make plays that make you weep and feel like you want to jump off the nearest cliff - he did that today. He also regularly makes incredibly smart plays and shows to have a lot of guile - IMO there was also evidence of this today too.

He's one of the dumbest smart footballers I think I've ever seen.

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by GreenMachine » August 25, 2019, 6:48 pm

Pete Cash wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:40 pm
GreenMachine wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:37 pm
I just don’t see the upside in BJ’s game like many do.

I see a loose cannon that instinctively reverts to loose behaviour no matter how long you think you have him on the straight and narrow.

Today was costly.

8 points instead of 6.... it means we’re still only 2 points down with Croker’s miss.

How people see the need to blame the loss on Croker for the missed conversion, yet gloss over BJ’s extraordinarily stupid play is beyond me.

I don’t understand why he even bothers to chase a player for 90 metres, only to jump on his back with his knees. Just stupid.
Honest question ?

How do you not see the upside in his game ? Its the most obvious upside I have ever seen. He is one of the most physically gifted players in the competition he just has a peanut for a brain.

For the record he has been much better this year with the dumb stuff. He just cannot handle playing Manly
Honest answer- I look at our results without him.
We haven’t missed him IMO.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17857
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by -PJ- » August 25, 2019, 6:48 pm

No.
I love a good BJ.
I'm nothing without a good BJ.
BJ is good.
Long live the BJ.
BJs for all my friends.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by GreenMachine » August 25, 2019, 6:49 pm

yeh raiders wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:40 pm
The blokes’ second-up from a spell after a very serious injury.

He’s just cleaning out the cobwebs before he peaks in the finals.
Those cobwebs between the ears never get cleaned out.

Pete Cash
Jason Croker
Posts: 4479
Joined: May 10, 2008, 7:21 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Pete Cash » August 25, 2019, 6:51 pm

I think that is a poor way of deciding a players worth. We missed him rucking the ball out of our own end for one thing. Teams can get on top of us way easier without Beej there.

Also thats rather not answering the question. You said you can't see his upside. Before his injury he was in fantastic form. He puts in a weak game two games back against a team that he struggles against and suddenly he has no upside. I mean come on mate

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by GreenMachine » August 25, 2019, 6:52 pm

Pete Cash wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:51 pm
I think that is a poor way of deciding a players worth. We missed him rucking the ball out of our own end for one thing. Teams can get on top of us way easier without Beej there.

Also thats rather not answering the question. You said you can't see his upside. Before his injury he was in fantastic form. He puts in a weak game two games back against a team that he struggles against and suddenly he has no upside. I mean come on mate
I’ve never called his game weak.
His mentality is another matter and it is costing us.
Cost us today and I can guarantee it will cost us tomorrow.

User avatar
Raider Azz
Jason Croker
Posts: 4053
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Raider Azz » August 25, 2019, 6:54 pm

Lucky wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:28 pm
Today was one of his rocks game.... next week, diamonds maybe? who knows....
He won't be available next week. In fact, he's probably looking at a few weeks on the sideline.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17857
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by -PJ- » August 25, 2019, 6:59 pm

Raider Azz wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:54 pm
Lucky wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:28 pm
Today was one of his rocks game.... next week, diamonds maybe? who knows....
He won't be available next week. In fact, he's probably looking at a few weeks on the sideline.
Why ?
Because RG won an Oscar in the ingoal.

Leave BJ only you hippies...**** !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30399
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by -TW- » August 25, 2019, 7:04 pm

Nah, next

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1235
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Neeeegz » August 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

yeh raiders wrote:The blokes’ second-up from a spell after a very serious injury.

He’s just cleaning out the cobwebs before he peaks in the finals.
I hope you are right, he is devastating on his day

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1235
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Neeeegz » August 25, 2019, 7:40 pm

Didn't he get put on report twice and another one pending ? He will be out for a few weeks I'd say

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9871
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Get rid of BJ

Post by gangrenous » August 25, 2019, 7:47 pm

GreenMachine wrote: We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.
I’d shop both of them at the end of the season.

We have a very strong team without them, and I’m just not sure you can win a grand final carrying this level of ill-discipline.

You need to win three games in a row of tough niggly finals football to be premiers. I can’t see either of them going through 3 weeks without brain explosions that are sizeable enough to cost games.

User avatar
kiwi raider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6965
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by kiwi raider » August 25, 2019, 7:54 pm

It's a tough one, a couple of really dumb plays today but I reckon if Bateman gives him the ball on that last play of the game instead of going to Rapana hes a big chance of coming up with a diamond there, hes incredibly tough to handle in that situation close to the line and if he didn't score himself he often draws in the winger because of his ability to stand in the tackle a then get a late offload away.

User avatar
GreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by GreenMachine » August 25, 2019, 7:56 pm

gangrenous wrote:
August 25, 2019, 7:47 pm
GreenMachine wrote: We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.
I’d shop both of them at the end of the season.

We have a very strong team without them, and I’m just not sure you can win a grand final carrying this level of ill-discipline.

You need to win three games in a row of tough niggly finals football to be premiers. I can’t see either of them going through 3 weeks without brain explosions that are sizeable enough to cost games.
I’d keep Joey T, only because I’d like to see a full season injury free on a tight leash playing in the middle.

That being said, I liked what I saw from Hudson Young today.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2778
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Billy Walker » August 25, 2019, 7:56 pm

gangrenous wrote:
August 25, 2019, 7:47 pm
GreenMachine wrote: We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.
I’d shop both of them at the end of the season.

We have a very strong team without them, and I’m just not sure you can win a grand final carrying this level of ill-discipline.

You need to win three games in a row of tough niggly finals football to be premiers. I can’t see either of them going through 3 weeks without brain explosions that are sizeable enough to cost games.
I agree Gangers.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2778
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Billy Walker » August 25, 2019, 8:00 pm

I don’t think any defensive teams are in two minds about what he’s doing when he goes to dummy half close to the line. Yes he occasionally steamrolls the markers and scores but against great teams in big games it’s generally a wasted tackle. Would rather see him hitting the ball on the end of a move than trying to bustle over from dummy half.

Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1235
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Neeeegz » August 25, 2019, 8:09 pm

GreenMachine wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
August 25, 2019, 7:47 pm
GreenMachine wrote: We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.
I’d shop both of them at the end of the season.

We have a very strong team without them, and I’m just not sure you can win a grand final carrying this level of ill-discipline.

You need to win three games in a row of tough niggly finals football to be premiers. I can’t see either of them going through 3 weeks without brain explosions that are sizeable enough to cost games.
I’d keep Joey T, only because I’d like to see a full season injury free on a tight leash playing in the middle.

That being said, I liked what I saw from Hudson Young today.
You will never get a full season out of Tapine because he gets suspended and then injured or vice versa. And Joey looks like a bear that's come out of hibernation and doesn't care about the rules, so he will get a few weeks off any way.
Hopefully he doesn't gain too much more weight.
We should of won that game if we were serious contenders.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18885
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Joey Leilua

Post by edwahu » August 25, 2019, 8:14 pm

Let's go from the top on the GH sacked calls

CNK - safe
Rapana - sent to the old folks home
BJ - sacked
Toots - sacked
Cotric - dropped, not sacked yet
Jack - was sacked last year
Sezer - gone
Papa - was let go last year for been out of form for a bit
Hodgo - mediocre hooker, worse than McInnes, needs to go
Sia - in the old folks home with Rapa
Whitehead - apparently past it, let's let him walk next year
Bateman - safe
Tapine - liability, worth shopping
-------
Simo - Safe
Lui - sacked for that time he dropped the footy
Horse - should never be picked again
Sutton - safe so far

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1469
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: Joey Leilua

Post by LastRaider » August 25, 2019, 8:15 pm

gangrenous wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.
I’d shop both of them at the end of the season.

We have a very strong team without them, and I’m just not sure you can win a grand final carrying this level of ill-discipline.

You need to win three games in a row of tough niggly finals football to be premiers. I can’t see either of them going through 3 weeks without brain explosions that are sizeable enough to cost games.
I’m with you Gangrenous, I’m also nervous about resigning Rapana with The way Simonnson is developing.

Post Reply