2020 Trial: Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Trial: Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Oh and the commentary... Surely they can at least find someone who can pronounce the name of the national capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The resolution of the live stream replay was good for 20 minutes in the first half... then mostly rubbish. How can an organisation the size of the NRL get stuff like this so very wrong? If they can’t do it... get someone who can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The stream during the season is always pretty good quality. This is a trial at a non NRL ground.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky’s tricky situation

We got our first glimpse at the new Raiders halves combination of Jack Wighton and George Williams in what was a relatively scrappy game against the Bulldogs. But it is the edge which Williams will line up on, where questions are being asked.

The whole new right edge, as did much of the team, looked solid if unspectacular. It’s a big gamble to completely change an attacking output to a side which reached the grand final just a few months ago.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f4f6a0e94d
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not sure why which side George Williams lines up on would change the fact that it’s a whole new right edge? If you switch him with Wighton, it’s even more disruptive.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Each team's selection dilemma heading into Round 1

Canberra - second-rower. The Raiders need to settle on a right edge forward replacement for the injured John Bateman, with prop Corey Horsburgh neither a resounding success nor failure filling in there in the win over the Bulldogs in their Port Macquarie trial.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/02/eac ... o-round-1/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

IMO,
Horse looked lost on the edge. I think he could push for rep honours this yr, but playing edge wont help his cause.

Tapine was very good in the 1st half at lock. Looks happy to have nailed that position down. BUT... His team needs him on the edge. Not much went to his side while he spelled Horse, but surely its a better move.

Guler was nearly out best forward. Looked amazing. If Horse is on the edge, expect Guler to take up his role from last yr, getting 35-40mins in that middle period of the game. Definately moved up the pecking order.

Sutton played the 2nd half at lock, and honestly, I dont think he missed a beat. Picked up exactly where Tapine left off in the 1st. Nearly crashed over early in the 2nd half. His best spot. He was busy and bent the Dogs line.

Wighton looked good for the run last wk in the All stars game. Nearly slicing through a few times. That left edge looked good.

GWill was patchy, as to be expected with a short, and disrupted due to injury, preseason. Will need 6-8wks to get into a groove IMO. Looks like he might have a Jack 'Barry Crocker' Wighton type error in him. Nearly threw an intercept in the game. BUT, has that same jink step Wighton does just before the line. Potential here for sure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Raiders V Bulldogs at Port Macquarie: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... -bulldogs/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:GALLERY: Raiders V Bulldogs at Port Macquarie: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... -bulldogs/
7's Jersey, good sort

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every NRL club’s trial form graded

RAIDERS C+

Results: 12-10 WIN v Bulldogs

Key trial injuries: John Bateman (shoulder, Round 8), Ryan Sutton (suspension, Round 1)

How they fared: The Raiders had just the one trial against the Bulldogs with the early signs suggesting they have a long way to go to reach the heights of last season.

Stars and strugglers: Jack Wighton admitted his combination with George Williams would take time to develop after the pair put in a clunky first up performance as a halves duo. Corey Horsburgh stepped up in the absence of John Bateman and the club will rely on the fiery red head to ignite their pack until the Englishman returns in Round 8. Star signing Curtis Scott appeared to be overplaying his hand in a bid to impress new coach Ricky Stuart.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 669f2952f0
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can’t disagree with the rating. Interesting Phil Gould said this on Twitter the other day (yes, he’s back for at least the third time)...

“I always liked my teams to trial well. Look as fit, strong and professional as possible. Others have a different view. What do you think? Happy with your team? Or, does trial form mean absolutely nothing. Discuss.”

I tend to agree with him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: March 2, 2020, 11:36 am
greeneyed wrote:GALLERY: Raiders V Bulldogs at Port Macquarie: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... -bulldogs/
7's Jersey, good sort

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
You sure did pretty up Port Macquarie on Saturday arvo..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2020, 12:01 pm I can’t disagree with the rating. Interesting Phil Gould said this on Twitter the other day (yes, he’s back for at least the third time)...

“I always liked my teams to trial well. Look as fit, strong and professional as possible. Others have a different view. What do you think? Happy with your team? Or, does trial form mean absolutely nothing. Discuss.”

I don't put a lot of stock in them. I get what he's saying but don't understand what looking fit, strong and professional in a trial game gets you. It's a long season and I'd rather see our players save it for when there's 2 points up for grabs.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Any havili news?
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2020, 12:01 pm I can’t disagree with the rating. Interesting Phil Gould said this on Twitter the other day (yes, he’s back for at least the third time)...

I absolutely want them to look fit and strong. You expect them to maybe look a bit slow, combos in attack to be a bit clunky and passes going to ground, but it's never a good sign when you see defensive lapses or players dropping off tackles.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NBN News in Port Macquarie tonight says the crowd was “about 4,000”... and that meant the local league made a profit in staging the match.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Walt Flanigan wrote: March 2, 2020, 1:37 pm

I don't put a lot of stock in them. I get what he's saying but don't understand what looking fit, strong and professional in a trial game gets you. It's a long season and I'd rather see our players save it for when there's 2 points up for grabs.
I think it's as simple as saying; look you've spent months getting ready with fitness, drills, tactics- I hope you can now put it into practice on the park. If I'm a coach I'd rather go into the sheds after the trial, with the season looming thinking, "Yep we're on track here. Looks like the pieces fit." rather than looking like a shambles and thinking you have a whole heap of things to work on and the season starts in a fortnight...

You don't live or die by trials but it would have been nice if our right edge had been purring or Hors killed it on the edge- as it is we have a few question marks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: March 2, 2020, 7:34 pm
Walt Flanigan wrote: March 2, 2020, 1:37 pm

I think it's as simple as saying; look you've spent months getting ready with fitness, drills, tactics- I hope you can now put it into practice on the park. If I'm a coach I'd rather go into the sheds after the trial, with the season looming thinking, "Yep we're on track here. Looks like the pieces fit." rather than looking like a shambles and thinking you have a whole heap of things to work on and the season starts in a fortnight...

You don't live or die by trials but it would have been nice if our right edge had been purring or Hors killed it on the edge- as it is we have a few question marks.
:( Yep, I’m worried.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2020, 8:01 pm

:( Yep, I’m worried.
Havilii being fit for rd 1 would make me feel a lot better. He's very effective, direct footballer who just rolls up his sleeves and goes. If we are going to be a bit unsettled and a bit inexperienced in Round 1, he'd be perfect to have around.

In the early rounds, when things are rusty and can go wrong and attitude really counts he's a good option. Not a lot of moving parts to his game so he works when no frills is a good way to play- uncomplicated and not much can go wrong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Local league registers profit from NRL trial between Canterbury and Canberra in Port Macquarie

GROUP Three Rugby League will make a profit from the NRL trial game between Canterbury Bulldogs and Canberra Raiders at Port Macquarie last Saturday after around 5000 people attended.

"We haven't done the final figures but we will make a bit of money,'' Group Three chairman Wayne Bridge confirmed. "That will go to the our clubs.' They had nearly 8000 there for the City/Country game in 2010. I don't know how they fitted them in. It was packed.''

Read more: https://www.portnews.com.au/story/66590 ... /?cs=13808
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hope they didn't have to pay those commentators out of the profits

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: March 3, 2020, 2:41 pm Hope they didn't have to pay those commentators out of the profits

I would have stood in for free! I could at least have pronounced the name of the Canberra Raiders and the players...

Had a few extra days at Port Macquarie. Nice place, but have to go home tomorrow.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Mic'd Up: Brett White: Raiders Assistant coach Brett white was mic’d up for our trial against the Bulldogs. Join him for this unique experience as he takes us on the field and on the bench for the game. See how the team interacts on the field, with a balance of coaching messages and fun which is important to the success of the team and reflects the strong culture the club has built: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... ett-white/

I’d say he worked all week on the jokes!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: March 3, 2020, 4:42 pm VIDEO: Mic'd Up: Brett White: Raiders Assistant coach Brett white was mic’d up for our trial against the Bulldogs. Join him for this unique experience as he takes us on the field and on the bench for the game. See how the team interacts on the field, with a balance of coaching messages and fun which is important to the success of the team and reflects the strong culture the club has built: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... ett-white/

I’d say he worked all week on the jokes!
I'd say he needs to keep working because that was gross.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Untapped Footy Show potential right there.

Dencorub! Classic Whitey.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im not worried about the trial, i never worry about trials.
Its not correlative and you dont know what each team is attempting to achieve from it.

All i look at is indiviudual performances... for me i thought Williams looked lively and confident, he held up well defensively. We looked rusty AF in attack all game but afte the first 10-15 minutes i think we handled the dogs pretty comfortably in defence.

I agree with Matt, that Hors looked like he's not capbable of handling the edge. He looks a classic impact middle to me at this stage. I dont think we can play him as an edge forward in a game that matters, i think Tarps has gotta shift wide and let Hors get back to the middle.

We're going to get tested early given the stretched depth right now but im fairly confident we'll be up to the task. And if not, a little humbling and a thud back to earth in the opening rounds might not be the worst outcome.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I'm not concerned with cohesion and fluidity during attack, that comes with time. My problem is fitness. Look's like nothing has been learned from past mistakes.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I wouldn't be too concerned then. They looked fit in the trial.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, i thought they looked pretty fit. They just started half a pace slower than the Dogs, who were playing their second trial. They clicked into gear after 15.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ditto, pretty confused by that comment really

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I never watched the trial, I was thinking of the year we lost the first 3or 4matches in the last few minutes. Still gives me nightmare