Sunday 25 August 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:30am
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles 11:45am
NSW Cup: Mounties V Blacktown Sea Eagles 1:40pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: 🌤 Light morning frost. Mostly sunny. Mostly sunny. Areas of morning frost. Light winds becoming east to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening then becoming light in the late evening. Chance of any rain: 10 per cent. Min 1 Max 16

Round 22 2019. Canberra Raiders 22 - Melbourne Storm 18. It will go down as one of the most remarkable victories in Canberra Raiders' history. The Raiders played 20 minutes of the first half with 12 men, after Jack Wighton and Joe Tapine were both sent to the sin bin. The Storm scored twice when Wighton and Tapine were off the field, and led 18-0 after 30 minutes. The Storm had never lost after leading by 18 points. Their worst collapse ever was in Sydney in 2004, when they surrendered a 16 point lead against the Rabbitohs. In Round 22 of 2019, the Raiders scored 22 unanswered points to produce an incredible comeback - in one of the most hostile environments in the NRL.

More on Round 22: As I saw it

The difficult assignments for the Raiders keep on coming, when they face the Sea Eagles in Round 23 at home. It will be the third week in a row in which Canberra faces top four opposition. Joe Tapine has been ruled our for one to two weeks with a rib injury, with Ryan Sutton replacing him in the starting team at lock. That has created space for Hudson Young on the bench. The Sea Eagles have made no changes to the team that faced the Wests Tigers last week. Curtis Sironen (hamstring) has not been included in the reserves, while Brad Parker (knee) remains unavailable.

Late changes: The Raiders cut Emre Guler and Michael Oldfield from their squad on Saturday afternoon, with Sam Williams and Siliva Havili remaining on the extended bench. The Sea Eagles omitted Cade Cust and Lloyd Perrett from their squad on Saturday.

Milestone: Aidan Sezer makes his 150th NRL appearance in this match.

History: The Raiders have won just 21 of 56 games against the Manly Sea Eagles, and drawn one. Since late 2004, the Raiders have won only six of 23 contests, and four of the past 10. If you add in matches against the Northern Eagles, the numbers are no better. Overall, Canberra has won 23 of 62 contests, a 37 per cent win rate.

The Raiders lost both matches in 2017 in golden point - 20-18 at Canberra Stadium and 21-20 at Brookvale. Canberra also lost the Round 4 match played last year at Brookvale, 32-16. Canberra got some payback in Round 12 of 2018, with Aidan Sezer clinching a 21-20 victory with a final minute field goal. Earlier this year, the Raiders lost to the Sea Eagles 24-20 at Brookvale - despite the fact the home team lost key playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans to injury for most of the second half.

2019 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2018 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2018 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

The Raiders have won just seven of 17 games played against the Sea Eagles at Canberra Stadium, and just eight of 24 matches at home, drawing one at Seiffert Oval. Including the Northern Eagles, the Raiders have won nine of 20 at Canberra Stadium and 10 of 27 at home. That’s a win rate of just 40-45 per cent at Bruce.

Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Sea Eagles: WWWLW

In their last outing, the Sea Eagles produced a big 32-12 win over the Wests Tigers at Brookvale, with the result never in much doubt. They have had recent wins over the Knights (30-6), Storm (11-10) and Eels (36-24), but were upset by the Warriors (24-16) in Auckland two weeks ago. The Raiders have lost just twice in their past 10 games - but then so have the Sea Eagles.

Betting: The Raiders are surprisingly firm $1.50 favourites, while the Sea Eagles are paying $2.60. The Sea Eagles have 4.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders' odds have firmed slightly over the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between third and fourth on the ladder - and it should be a doozy.

The Raiders rank slightly ahead of the Sea Eagles in terms of points and tries scored - but the Sea Eagles can be lethal in attack. They rank first in the NRL for total runs, running metres, post contact metres and offloads. They also rank second for tackle breaks and fourth for line breaks and kick return metres. And they are in the top five teams for both try assists and line break assists.

They have dangerous attacking players across the park. Tom Trbojevic ranks third in the NRL for average running metres per game, fifth for average tackle breaks and ninth for average kick return metres. Half Daly Cherry-Evans ranks second in the competition for average try assists per game. Manase Fainu and Marty Taupau are top 10 for average offloads per match. Addin Fonua-Blake ranks fifth for post contact metres. The Raiders have their own attacking weapons - with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad right up with the best for kick return metres, running metres and tackle breaks, for example. But the Raiders will have their hands full, trying to contain the Sea Eagles when they have the ball in hand.

The Raiders defence is close to the benchmark this year - ranking second for fewest points conceded and third for fewest tries conceded. The Raiders have a slightly better effective tackle rate than the Sea Eagles. While the Raiders have missed more tackles per game, no team has made fewer ineffective tackles than Canberra. But the Sea Eagles' defensive record is not far off. They rank fourth for least points conceded and fifth for fewest tries.

The Raiders' defence will need to be right on the mark on Sunday, as they have often struggled to stop the Sea Eagles when they get momentum in the past. They'll need good line speed, they'll need to win the rucks and and they'll need to be composed. Some one-on-one steals from the Raiders (ranked first in the league) won't hurt in slowing the Sea Eagles' momentum down either.

The Raiders kick more and run from dummy half more than any other team - and no team has averaged fewer kicking metres than the Sea Eagles. But, frankly, when you're top of the pile for running metres, you don't need to make a lot of kicking metres. Both teams like to get a 40/20 - Jack Wighton has two and Cherry Evans has two. The teams are just about level for forced line drop outs, averaging just under two per game.

Season record: Raiders 14 and 7 (3rd, +157)
Sea Eagles 13 and 8 (4th, +92)

Home and away: Raiders 5 of 9 at home
Sea Eagles 5 of 10 away

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 4 of 10
Sea Eagles have won 5 or 8

Attack: Raiders 23 points and 3.8 tries scored per match, ranked 4th
Sea Eagles 22 points and 3.8 tries scored per match, ranked 5th

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.6 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Sea Eagles 17 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked 4th

Possession: Raiders 52 per cent, ranked 2nd
Sea Eagles 52 per cent, ranked 3rd

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent, ranked 3rd
Sea Eagles 76 per cent, ranked 12th

Running: Raiders 1582 running metres from 176 runs, 181 kick return metres, 460 post contact metres per match
Sea Eagles 1672 running metres from 187 runs, 191 kick return metres, 482 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 33, Sea Eagles 36

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Sea Eagles 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Sea Eagles 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Sea Eagles 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Sea Eagles 13 per match

Kicking: Raiders 581 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Sea Eagles 465 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 326 made, 29 missed, 12 ineffective per match 11.6
Sea Eagles 304 made, 25 missed, 17 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1358, Sea Eagles 1416 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Sea Eagles 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Sea Eagles 7 per match

Our tip: The statistics indicate that the Raiders have a slight edge in this contest - but those attacking numbers for the Sea Eagles are scary!

There are great individual battles all over the park in prospect - and not least of all in the key, spine positions. Tom Trbojevic versus Nicoll-Klokstad at fullback. Cherry-Evans and Walker up against Sezer and Wighton in the halves. Hodgson versus Koroisau at dummy half. The Raiders come out in front at hooker - but I suspect the Sea Eagles come out in front overall in the spine. It'll also be a great battle up front. The likes of Papalii, Bateman and Whitehead up against Taupau, Fonua-Blake and Jake Trbojevic.

There should be a huge home crowd supporting the Raiders, hopefully over 20,000 - and hopefully that'll help give the Green Machine a little bit extra. It'll be a close game, but the Green Machine will be confident after knocking over the Storm last week. I'll go with the home team. Raiders by two.

What they're saying:

Aidan Sezer on the need to back up against the Sea Eagles: "Nothing changes for us. Hype is hype, potential is potential. It doesn't mean anything until you fulfil that. We've got the belief and we need to keep turning up like we do each week, and that goes a long way towards a good rugby league performance.

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Hudson Young

18. Sam Williams
19. Siliva Havili

Injury/Suspension
Joe Tapine (Ribs) Round 24-25
Ata Hingano (Shoulder) Round 24-25
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brendan Elliot
4. Moses Suli
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Jack Gosiewski
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Corey Waddell
16. Morgan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Lachlan Croker
19. Tevita Funa

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Sideline Officials: Phil Henderson, Michael Wise
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersManly

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: 2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Cranky Old Man »

How does Ashley Klein keep getting appointed to first grade games? His offsider is a far better ref
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is that Cameron Smith?
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Hopefully Dylan Walker wont be a total Quentin de Kock in this game.... hes the sort of player that has the ability to get under our skin. Not sure if Tarps is playing, but if he is then his peanut sized brain will be on the lookout for a fight and he wont cop no bull shirt from nobody.... so he may actually put one on Walkers chin.
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

Lucky wrote: August 20, 2019, 6:31 pm Hopefully Dylan Walker wont be a total Quentin de Kock in this game.... hes the sort of player that has the ability to get under our skin. Not sure if Tarps is playing, but if he is then his peanut sized brain will be on the lookout for a fight and he wont cop no bull shirt from nobody.... so he may actually put one on Walkers chin.
Walker might have ammended his ways a bit after he got his eye socket renovated earlier this year.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah getting your face punched in would have an affect you'd think

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Walker was pretty fine with how that worked out, i think he tweeted out something like "talk ****, get hit"
I dont think he'll be changing his ways what so ever and why would he? The only aspect of this team that hasnt changed is that it's prone to lash out at the niggle and **** talk
We arent very mature in that respect. They'll niggle us knowing it puts us off our game, and they need us off our game to win.

This would be a good time for Stuart to lay down the law and tell them to shut up and play, let Manly niggle all they like, forget them and forget the officials and just focus on playing footy.

We do that, and we'll have a good win here.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Someone should take him down and then turn to the ref, wide-eyed and innocent, and say, "but sir, I didn't do anything! I just touched his shoulder and then he fell down!"

If I had more time/money/ability there would absolutely be a sign this weekend.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Will be watching this one from a hotel room in Wellington. Arranged my flights so I can.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: August 23, 2019, 6:47 pm Will be watching this one from a hotel room in Wellington. Arranged my flights so I can.
Wouldn't it have been more fun to arrange flights to Canberra to watch the game at the ground? Seems like a long way to fly to a hotel room to watch the game.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote: August 23, 2019, 6:47 pm Will be watching this one from a hotel room in Wellington. Arranged my flights so I can.
Wouldn't it have been more fun to arrange flights to Canberra to watch the game at the ground? Seems like a long way to fly to a hotel room to watch the game.
Sadly, i needed to be there anyway.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: August 23, 2019, 7:36 pm
Surely you could provision your private jet for a Mercy dash?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: August 23, 2019, 7:52 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 23, 2019, 7:36 pm
Surely you could provision your private jet for a Mercy dash?
Only if he were prepared to pay for the carbon offset. Too much controversy.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Pretty sure frank could have handled things in Wellington so you could have been there. But I guess cats are pretty selfish! Especially frank.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is a big game for us.

Fiddling with the ladder predictor, if we lose this we're a chance of finishing the season 6th
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We won't finish 6th.

However, I really hope we do win. We have been in the top 4 virtually all season, and deserve to finish there rather than stumble at the last minute IMO. Fingers crossed.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm not worried Azza..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Azza, you sound more hopeful than worried - it’s making me feel worried. :doubt:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah it worries me as well to be honest. Deeply.

Eagles by 27.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I’m bringing my large flag tomorrow. Anyone know about what the go is with flag regulations and whether you have to register it etc?
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders omit Michael Oldfield and Emre Guler from their squad to face the Manly Sea Eagles. Latest squads, weather, odds and much more: http://ow.ly/A23y50vHGzc

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 24, 2019, 5:20 pm I’m bringing my large flag tomorrow. Anyone know about what the go is with flag regulations and whether you have to register it etc?
Not permitted:

Flags over 1m x 1m in size

http://giostadiumcanberra.com.au/ticket ... -of-entry/

You could try and see how you go, but they may confiscate it at the gate.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2019, 5:51 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: August 24, 2019, 5:20 pm I’m bringing my large flag tomorrow. Anyone know about what the go is with flag regulations and whether you have to register it etc?
Not permitted:

Absolute nimby convention :thumbsdown
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2019, 5:51 pm
Not permitted:

Slide it through the fence, walk through the gate and go pick it up or just pass it through the fence to a mate.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

stadium wrote:
Not permitted:

Fun.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

PigRickman wrote: August 22, 2019, 7:57 pm Walker was pretty fine with how that worked out, i think he tweeted out something like "talk ****, get hit"
I dont think he'll be changing his ways what so ever and why would he? The only aspect of this team that hasnt changed is that it's prone to lash out at the niggle and **** talk
We arent very mature in that respect. They'll niggle us knowing it puts us off our game, and they need us off our game to win.

This would be a good time for Stuart to lay down the law and tell them to shut up and play, let Manly niggle all they like, forget them and forget the officials and just focus on playing footy.

Yeah as much as Walker irritates me I remember respecting him for his response to that incident.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

:hmmm never fear - the real worry has set in for me for this game now so I suspect that means we have nothing to worry about
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: August 24, 2019, 9:53 pm :hmmm never fear - the real worry has set in for me for this game now so I suspect that means we have nothing to worry about
Relax PigAzza.

Everything is going to be fine.

We will be okay.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Game day folks! Fire up.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Game day bitches!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Here we go again..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Its game day fellow rodents!
Caaaaarn the all mighty Green Machine!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

PigRickman wrote: August 22, 2019, 7:57 pm Walker was pretty fine with how that worked out, i think he tweeted out something like "talk ****, get hit"

EDIT for the wife bashing grub!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

*waving hands around to dry green nail polish* GAME DAY FOLKS!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Cracking morning - should get a big walk up crowd if the weather holds and the wind stays down