Sea Eagles 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Re: 2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by scooter »

Hypothetically, if the bunker had ruled the Manly player to be offside, how would the Leilua foul play be handled?
Penalty to us on Manly's line for the offside infringement? Or penalty to Manly on our tryline for Leilua dropping his knee?

Are the refs obliged to go with the first infringement, and put Leilua on report? Or do they go with the more serious of the two infringements?
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

pacman wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:57 am So I've now digested and calmed down a bit.

Yes, the refs were not great but I'm not blaming them. The amount of times we've gotten away with Hodgo being miles offside, can't dwell on the offside intercept. It was also a pretty ridiculous pass to go for.

BJ had a shocking game. It got to a point where I would be scared he would give away a penalty every time he was involved in a tackle. So the brain explosions are still there - is it worth it carrying this liability into the finals for the promise of his strong performances? Maybe..

We really felt the tale of the missing half in this game as well. Every player was trying to take it upon themselves to win it for us and while we absolutely do have some amazing talent, what I wouldn't give to see some organisation. What was with Sezer being caught out and monstered in every run? His positioning? The team structure? It was something different in this game and it did not gel.

Was one of the more disappointing games overall in the season but here's hoping the boys will learn from it and come back next week firing. Their defence was still great for the majority of the game but they were just not on their game in attack and lacked discipline.
Well, I did something I've never done before and went outside and smashed a wine glass into the bin when BJ gave away that unnecessary 8 point try. If he hadn't done it, I think the ref would have asked to see whether players were on-side. Instead, they opted to penalise the foul play. I think the MRC will do us and Ricky a favour and give BJ two weeks on the sideline.

IMO, the team has been on the field and maturing, realising you cannot do ill-disciplined dumb **** and expect to win the game. BJ has been on the sidelines and not experiencing that lesson in person.

I noticed Sezer being tackled and neutralised as well. A few of those runs were straight back into the teeth of the defence, while others seemed to be a player targeting him. Cue the calls for Williams to come back.

While Wighton had a great game and he'll be getting my 3 points, all too often he goes for the line himself when passing it would be the smarter option.

BTW, as for that Manly clown who taunted the fans - **** him. Like he'll ever see Brookvale filled with 20,000+ fans during a regular season round in his lifetime.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Nah don't think anyone will call for a Williams recall, the side is settled now so absolutely couldn't or wouldn't change it unless necessary. My comments on him were more comparing him to the halfbacks of the teams we're likely to face at the pointy end, but it is what it is now and we can only hope he plays his best.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

scooter wrote: August 26, 2019, 11:34 am Hypothetically, if the bunker had ruled the Manly player to be offside, how would the Leilua foul play be handled?
Penalty to us on Manly's line for the offside infringement? Or penalty to Manly on our tryline for Leilua dropping his knee?

Are the refs obliged to go with the first infringement, and put Leilua on report? Or do they go with the more serious of the two infringements?
No try..penalty Manly..BJ on report.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: August 26, 2019, 11:56 am
scooter wrote: August 26, 2019, 11:34 am Hypothetically, if the bunker had ruled the Manly player to be offside, how would the Leilua foul play be handled?

They should penalise for the first infringement. Leilua on report, might even have been binned for the foul play.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 26, 2019, 12:04 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 26, 2019, 11:56 am

They should penalise for the first infringement. Leilua on report, might even have been binned for the foul play.
If the ref did his job(blow his whistle for the offside)straight away, Manly don't run 95 to score and BJ isn't in the ingoal kneeing the try scorer in the back...

Too easy !!

And we have a penalty 10 out from the tryline and on the charge..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Between this loss and the cricket.... **** me. So this is what it feels like when doves cry
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Woodgers wrote: August 25, 2019, 11:16 pm Firstly, not the end of the world or season. It was a big day for the club and they let it slip again but we move on.

I didn't think that was a good performance by us. From my vantage point at the ground it seemed so one out the majority of the time. Then the times we did try play out the back we weren't quick enough so were just not opening up the space. For me the play was to look for the short balls around the middle and follow the carrier for offloads but we looked really disorganised and not willing to graft in the middle with the following runs to suck Manly into the middle and create the space out wide then or later.

I can't comprehend what is happening with the last tackle options and kicking. Why was Hodgson putting up multiple feeble uncontested bombs to maybe the best high ball flyer in the game? We looked disorganised again in this aspect. This should not be happening under Ricky Stuart, not with the players we have and the time they have spent with him considering his strengths as a player. We have 2 halves that can kick a ball effectively outside the red zone, they should be in position and kicking the ball so we can get a result.

The interchanges seemed all over the place. Why replace Papalli 4 minutes from half time after a long stoppage in play? He should have been on well before he came back in the 2nd half, Manly were playing with 15 so were going to tire earlier so get your best prop back out there for the majority of the 2nd half if he can do 36 in the first.

Aiden Sezer might be the biggest downhill skier in the comp. Absolute flat track bully and total rubbish against the top sides. Lucky he can tackle better than Williams. Again it is a total mystery how a halfback can digress under Ricky but here we are. I try not to be too hard on him because the same as earlier in the season when people were annihilating Williams I was saying Hodgson takes too much away from what the halves should be doing, but goodness, this bloke is the type of NRL player that you worry about in a finals series. Potentially holds the record for the least metres made kicking for touch on a penalty, drives me absolutely insane.

From where I sat, the officiating was the worst i've seen in maybe a year. It was abysmal (both ways at times but more against us) and the Raiders have a case to say if you look purely at what they did and didn't call, you'll find the points to give us the lead at full time. I could not be more disillusioned with the NRL's mandate to try end up with even penalty counts. You had to be at the ground to see how badly the 10 metres was policed, it wouldn't have shown up on TV but it was incredible. Manly were almost never onside, they took the early hits in that column in the first 20 and then knew the next 60 minutes was a free for all as the square up was on like it is every game of every week. They weren't marginally offside, they were 3 or 4 metres offside every other tackle and it was ignored.The worst thing that can happen to a team is to get a lot of early penalties because when the fatigue sets in you're battling that and the square up.
Great summation. We are not going to play in the GF, let alone win it, on yesterday's performance.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton disputes 'no-try' call but says refs not to blame for loss

Jack Wighton wasn't labelling his controversial no-try ruling against Manly as the reason why Canberra lost the crucial clash but was confident he had grounded the ball.

"I don't think there was any separation, I went down with the ball, I came up with the ball," Wighton said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/26/wig ... -for-loss/

VIDEO: Graham Annesley says referees were right to stop play for Morgan Boyle: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/26/gra ... -round-23/

Canberra Raiders fans fire up at Manly Sea Eagles forward Addin Fonua-Blake: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua hit with two-game NRL ban: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Match Gallery: Raiders v Sea Eagles: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/c ... st#license

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... ea-eagles/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to vote JARROD CROKER, Canberra Raiders fans! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Choose the NRL Try of the Week for Round 23 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/26/cho ... -round-23/ via @NRL
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Just watched the highlights...we got pretty stitched up with three things in particular: the Wighton try shouldn’t have been overturned, the HIA rort and the offside intercept.

Unfortunately when you complement that with the stupidity from BJ you kind of of forfeit your rights to whinge because we should have still been good enough to overcome the dud calls.

Anyway after feeling a bit downcast about the result I have changed my mind a bit.

We should take the lessons out of this one and move on knowing full well that we can beat Manly when it counts.

And that goes for storm, roosters and bunnies too. We can still do this.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Graham Annesley admits Sea Eagles forward Jack Gosiewski was offside prior to intercept that led to critical eight point try in clash with Canberra Raiders

Referees boss Graham Annesley has admitted that Manly Sea Eagles player Jack Gosiewski was off side when he took a critical intercept which produced an eight point Manly try against the Canberra Raiders on Sunday.

He said images that had been circulating on social media had misrepresented how far off side Gosiewski was - and described the extent to which he was off side as "reasonably marginal".

Annesley today produced wide angle vision of the incident not shown on the television broadcast. He said that claims Gosiewski was four or five metres off side were incorrect.

However, he conceded Gosiewski had left the line early and that and that the decision to award the try was wrong.

"Did they get this wrong? Yes, I think they did," Annesley said.

"It's reasonably marginal. But it's not as portrayed in some of the things circulating - I've read reports of him being four or five metres offside, which clearly is not the case.

The Raiders went on to lose the match by four points.

Annesley defended the way in which the match officials stopped play in another incident - when Manly player Morgan Boyle was taken from the field for a head injury assessment.

The Raiders were on the attack, but Annesley said that the Manly trainer had asked for play to be stopped before Raiders winger Jordan Rapana took a quick tap from a penalty that had followed a head high tackle.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/26/gra ... -round-23/

VIDEO: Annesley: Gosiewski was offside: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/26/ann ... s-offside/

NRL admit refs got it wrong on Manly try: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... gn=sidebar
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dear me. That really is inexcusable.

They check tries which every man and his dog can see are clear tries (like Papas last week) and then choose to ignore others which are clearly more dubious.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

If there's a major sport with more incompetent officiating than the NRL, I haven't seen it.

Unbelievable. This loss has really deflated me, much more than the Roosters loss really.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Azza wrote:If there's a major sport with more incompetent officiating than the NRL, I haven't seen it.

Unbelievable. This loss has really deflated me, much more than the Roosters loss really.

Crickets not far off.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Did he comment on the Jack no try??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:06 pm Did he comment on the Jack no try??
No. Presumably he thought it was the correct call.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:09 pm
Coastalraider wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:06 pm Did he comment on the Jack no try??
It was sent up as No Try and the bunker supported that call. While I thought he scored I'm willing to accept that one. The offside on the intercept try was inexcusable. If the refs didn't see it live then surely they ask for it to be checked. Quite simply players don't get there that quick if they are onside.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

I hate how they come out and admit it’s wrong, just make the right call when it happens.

How the bunker never checked they were on side to start with confuses me, they always check everything even when it looks like a certain try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Northern Raider wrote:
It was sent up as No Try and the bunker supported that call. While I thought he scored I'm willing to accept that one. The offside on the intercept try was inexcusable. If the refs didn't see it live then surely they ask for it to be checked. Quite simply players don't get there that quick if they are onside.
To be honest these weekly meetings are becoming ridiculous. It's literally this clown coming out and going oh yeah we screwed up.. oops our bad well on too next week's screw up. There's been what 2 refs dropped this year and they were young guys just starting out. How Ashley Klein is considered one of the best in our game is beyond me the dude has no clue.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:28 pm
He said... we don't normally check off side with the bunker, except at a kick.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

The fact that they’ll check a kick for offside and not general play when there’s got to be significant doubt on a potential try is even more ridiculous.

It’s a joke, honestly.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Make the right call when it matters not admit to wrong call when it’s it doesn’t matter
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus

I wonder if say Rapana takes an intercept off Keary in a Qualifying Final at the SCG and runs the length to score, would they check the onside.... :hmmm
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They wouldn’t, the onfield ref has already called it on suspicion
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus

gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:08 pm They wouldn’t, the onfield ref has already called it on suspicion
and bin Jordy for repeated infringements :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: August 26, 2019, 7:11 pm
gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:08 pm They wouldn’t, the onfield ref has already called it on suspicion
and bin Jordy for repeated infringements :lol:
Reckon he'd get binned for verbal abuse :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I just can't reconcile how Croker's the other week (marginal at best) was a try but Jack's this week (try every season) was not. :?:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

So because of the ineptitude of the onfield officials we concede 8 points when it should been 0 and a penalty attacking the opposition line AND we lose a quality player for 2 weeks. With nothing done about it.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I've sat on the fence about the officiating in that game until now.
I thought it was pathetically handled by the refs, a number of incorrect calls changed the momentum and scoreline.
It's like they are scared of the raiders getting ahead or a fair chance.
And this is one of the reasons I **** love this team.
Keep it up em boys, win the rest and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: I just can't reconcile how Croker's the other week (marginal at best) was a try but Jack's this week (try every season) was not. :?:
The difference is the on field ref call. Croker had it going for him. Wighton against him. Neither had sufficient evidence to overturn.

Croker the putdown was a bit weird but it seemed to be what he was trying to do and he did appear to have control. Hard to overturn.

Jack certainly seemed to have the ball come loose and rotate with a defender hand on it despite always being in his arms. Given the on field ruling again you shouldn’t overturn.

Neither were clear cut decisions. Both quite grey. Which is why the video ref needs to stay the hell out, as they correctly did on these occasions. Good refereeing.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Don't be like that. It could happen to anyone, especially at home. That offside was 40 metres in front of me, it was so obvious it was almost impossible for 1 official to miss let alone 4. Obviously none of them did physics or biology at school and just concentrated on their weekend footy duties but one or the other should have been enough to know a bloke standing in the backline one off the ruck after a flat pass was probably enough evidence to blow the whistle. The other one was the Whitehead 'strip' penalty where it was a knock on where Jake T scored 4 tackles later. Then we have the Wighton one which was adjudicated differently to how most have been this season or any in recent memory. 3 clear things that were clangers that affected the scoreboard in a 4 point game and the 'no excuses' brigade will be telling me 'but the good teams overcome that in a 3rd vs 4th contest in a competition of very fine margins where literally any team can beat any team'.

The reality is it's not the end of the season and it's almost a good thing that we don't lose much (besides a player for 2 weeks but that's mostly his fault rather than an official that didn't just blow the obvious penalty 30 seconds earlier). But this type of stuff will bite when it counts and we'll be cooked. This is the point I make when I say it is harder for us than most to win a comp, we get a much higher proportion of these type of outlier things happen to us than the profile teams.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I haven’t made a comment about the refereeing yet. But I thought Manly came with a clear spoiling tactic and the officials were unable to adequately control the game.

It spoilt what should have been an opportunity to see the skills of both sides on display.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Woodgers wrote:Don't be like that. It could happen to anyone, especially at home.
Who is this to?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:I haven’t made a comment about the refereeing yet. But I thought Manly came with a clear spoiling tactic and the officials were unable to adequately control the game.

It spoilt what should have been an opportunity to see the skills of both sides on display.
Agree, this was the main problem I had with the refereeing.

Should have said to Manly in the first half that if they want to be offside on their own line continuously they’ll go to the bin.

Manly seemed to be the more ill-disciplined team generally and it seemed like a lot of their penalties were mandatory, while they went looking for a few from the Raiders to even the count.

The penalty on half time i’d like to see again. Live it looked like he just straight out dropped it deliberately.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

BJ wrote: August 26, 2019, 8:09 pm I haven’t made a comment about the refereeing yet. But I thought Manly came with a clear spoiling tactic and the officials were unable to adequately control the game.

You would be hard pressed to find a Raiders fan at the ground yesterday without the same comment. I went with a mad Manly fan and while he didn't admit Manly spoilt the game, he did say the spectacle it should've been, wasn't. It all came back to the policing of the 10 metres and the mandate to end up with even penalty counts. Manly weren't marginally offside every set, they were virtually every tackle. We're talking 3 metres or there abouts. As I said last night it is the Cronulla theory that Gallen admitted to, stand inside the 10 to get up fast and destroy our fast momentum. What he didn't say is you concede 5 penalties early because they're low hanging fruit and then don't concede one again while doing the same thing as he pleads with the ref they're being victimised and the officials are being trained to manufacture even penalty counts and entertainment. Manly did this tactic to a tee and the game is spoiled because officials do not have the balls to call it up constantly. A marginal offside....you'll find that every tackle, 12 players standing 3 metres offside all game, what do you do? Walk off with a penalty count against a team of 43?