Sea Eagles 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: 2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Raider47 »

Green Taipan wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:49 pm Having looked at the stills of the intercept try on FB, the blame is with Hodgson. He threw a long pass when the play the ball was barely 1 mtr from the try line. Posters who claim that the MW player ran 10 mrs in x secs to take the intercept are having themselves on.
Yep Hodgo needs to pull his finger out in this regard. Two weeks in a row he has tried to pull off a pass that just wasn’t on and it has resulted in a try. Silly stuff that will be our undoing if it doesn’t get sorted.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Wiki Special wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:51 pm To provide a positive comment, I thought Hudson Young was very good off the bench in both attack and defence. I would find it very hard to leave him out at full strength.
He was great today agree.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Referees dominate Canberra Raiders' NRL clash with Manly Sea Eagles

Ricky Stuart has declared the Canberra Raiders are guilty of "trying to take the easy option rather than getting in the gutter" and fighting their way out of trouble.

"I don't want to be blaming penalties. When we played to how we spoke about playing, we were very good. There wasn't enough parts of the game there where we stuck to it," Stuart said.

NRL Round 23: MANLY SEA-EAGLES 18 (Reuben Garrick, Jake Trbojevic tries; Reuben Garrick 5 goals) defeated CANBERRA RAIDERS 14 (Jarrod Croker 2 tries; Jarrod Croker 3 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Crowd: 20,265

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders left in top four tussle after Manly Sea Eagles loss

Could the Canberra Raiders fall out of the top four? It remains an unlikely yet possible scenario because, put simply, three does not go into two.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH REPORT: Injury-hit Manly go top four after Leilua brain snap: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/25/inj ... rain-snap/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... t-raiders/

Eight-point try against Raiders the right call: Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/25/eig ... ll-stuart/

Sea Eagles pair set to miss time after bruising win over Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/25/inj ... rain-snap/

Match Highlights: Raiders v Sea Eagles: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/25/mat ... ea-eagles/

Raiders press conference: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... onference/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to vote for your favourite Canberra Raiders, #GreenNation! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Choose who should be in NRL Team of the Week: Round 23 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/25/cho ... -round-23/ via @NRL
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The one time Sticky doesn't wanna have a go at the refs :lol:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He hasn't had a go for a while I think. He cut back after the Broncos game where Greenberg literally laughed at him. Much more conciliatory these days.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think it’s very tricky to have a go at the refs in this game. It wasn’t so much the big, clearly wrong decisions today (howlers you might say ). But a generally uneven application of the rules, or lack of application.

You can’t convince anyone on games like this. You saw it that way or you didn’t. Just look like a whinged blowing up on this one in the presser. Not what the team needs either.

Good call Ricky.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:Would BJ be playing next week in a Craig Bellamy coached team after that effort? I don’t think so.
Will chambers has played all year, so yes.

Glad you've moved on from Croker though

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

edwahu wrote:He hasn't had a go for a while I think. He cut back after the Broncos game where Greenberg literally laughed at him. Much more conciliatory these days.
He's realised complaining in the presser gets him nothing but ridicule so he doesn't even bother anymore

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:21 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Would BJ be playing next week in a Craig Bellamy coached team after that effort? I don’t think so.
Will chambers has played all year, so yes.

Glad you've moved on from Croker though

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Croker had a good game. He’s been solid the last few. Chambers is a massive niggler and runs his mouth but BJs brain explosions are next level compared
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

BJ wins us, and loses us, games off his own back.

This is nothing new. It’s just hard when it was a game that was this important.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Wiki Special wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:51 pm To provide a positive comment, I thought Hudson Young was very good off the bench in both attack and defence. I would find it very hard to leave him out at full strength.
Even at the Press Conference after the game Stuart said that he was very impressed with H Young not only was he out for so long but Stuart said he looked like the only player today that tried to stick to the game plan and play with his head.
The Raiders lost the game Manly didn’t beat us. A penalty try and an intercept that’s how Manly scored. BJ needs to pull his head in and Hodgo needs to try and be the hero every game.

Finally I am sick and tired of ref who pull up Whitehead for incorrect play of the ball but in the game today so many players didn’t use their foot to play the ball it seems the refs do it when they want to.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Firstly, not the end of the world or season. It was a big day for the club and they let it slip again but we move on.

I didn't think that was a good performance by us. From my vantage point at the ground it seemed so one out the majority of the time. Then the times we did try play out the back we weren't quick enough so were just not opening up the space. For me the play was to look for the short balls around the middle and follow the carrier for offloads but we looked really disorganised and not willing to graft in the middle with the following runs to suck Manly into the middle and create the space out wide then or later.

I can't comprehend what is happening with the last tackle options and kicking. Why was Hodgson putting up multiple feeble uncontested bombs to maybe the best high ball flyer in the game? We looked disorganised again in this aspect. This should not be happening under Ricky Stuart, not with the players we have and the time they have spent with him considering his strengths as a player. We have 2 halves that can kick a ball effectively outside the red zone, they should be in position and kicking the ball so we can get a result.

The interchanges seemed all over the place. Why replace Papalli 4 minutes from half time after a long stoppage in play? He should have been on well before he came back in the 2nd half, Manly were playing with 15 so were going to tire earlier so get your best prop back out there for the majority of the 2nd half if he can do 36 in the first.

Aiden Sezer might be the biggest downhill skier in the comp. Absolute flat track bully and total rubbish against the top sides. Lucky he can tackle better than Williams. Again it is a total mystery how a halfback can digress under Ricky but here we are. I try not to be too hard on him because the same as earlier in the season when people were annihilating Williams I was saying Hodgson takes too much away from what the halves should be doing, but goodness, this bloke is the type of NRL player that you worry about in a finals series. Potentially holds the record for the least metres made kicking for touch on a penalty, drives me absolutely insane.

From where I sat, the officiating was the worst i've seen in maybe a year. It was abysmal (both ways at times but more against us) and the Raiders have a case to say if you look purely at what they did and didn't call, you'll find the points to give us the lead at full time. I could not be more disillusioned with the NRL's mandate to try end up with even penalty counts. You had to be at the ground to see how badly the 10 metres was policed, it wouldn't have shown up on TV but it was incredible. Manly were almost never onside, they took the early hits in that column in the first 20 and then knew the next 60 minutes was a free for all as the square up was on like it is every game of every week. They weren't marginally offside, they were 3 or 4 metres offside every other tackle and it was ignored.The worst thing that can happen to a team is to get a lot of early penalties because when the fatigue sets in you're battling that and the square up.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:25 pm Ha! I am. According to our GH app.
It isn't supposed to... it doesn't on my GH app. If it is... you could just move the cursor to the end... which is standard.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:58 pm Image

This is just before Lui touches the ball. DCE’s yellow boots are just leaving the line, and he’s relatively similarly placed to the other two in the end. Can’t do much better with the fox footage.
Every single player except one marker is off side in the first pic.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Well..

It's the day after and my question is..

Why didn't the bunker check the offside ?

If someone at the NRL can answer that that'll be great.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not from the NRL, but the answer is because the ref didn’t ask him to.

Why didn’t the ref ask him to? No idea.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to speculate. I’d say the ref knew they were slightly offside, but only as offside as they seem to allow teams to be on 90% of goal line plays. So didn’t want to send it to be checked by the letter of the law.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I thought it was automatically checked as part of the process..

They were admiring BJs knees for a few minutes why not go back 100 metres and have a gander..

If it was called offside down on the Manly 10m line it's our ball in great field position and a chance to score more points. We were 8-4 up when this happened..a massive swing in momentum.

Anyway..that's done now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:45 am I’m not from the NRL, but the answer is because the ref didn’t ask him to.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to speculate. I’d say the ref knew they were slightly offside, but only as offside as they seem to allow teams to be on 90% of goal line plays. So didn’t want to send it to be checked by the letter of the law.
Thanks for your input gangers, it sure beats my dads explanation..

He says Bozo, Beaver and Ken Arthurson were running the bunker...
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

I want to know if the nrl will fine the manly trainer for asking the ref to stop play while he was walking a not so injured manly player off the ground when raps took the quick tap and we had a massive roll on...

For mine thats going to be a regular tactic going forward for all clubs and i think there'll be a hell of a lot more controversy coming from that going forward...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:45 am If you put a gun to my head and forced me to speculate. I’d say the ref knew they were slightly offside, but only as offside as they seem to allow teams to be on 90% of goal line plays. So didn’t want to send it to be checked by the letter of the law.
that's my take too, i think there is probably an unspoken rule that they wont check offsides on things like this because on the goalline every one is offside 100% of the time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:45 am I’m not from the NRL, but the answer is because the ref didn’t ask him to.

Probably right. Players always cheat up off the goal line and refs generally ignore it. I do feel Gosiewski got a bit more of a head start on this occasion. Refs didn't refer it because it would have exposed their own deficiencies.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 8:17 am
gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:45 am If you put a gun to my head and forced me to speculate. I’d say the ref knew they were slightly offside, but only as offside as they seem to allow teams to be on 90% of goal line plays. So didn’t want to send it to be checked by the letter of the law.
that's my take too, i think there is probably an unspoken rule that they wont check offsides on things like this because on the goalline every one is offside 100% of the time.
Yep it’s like forward passes, they’ll be checking them all day and night if it were part of the video refereeing process.

As soon as the try was scored, my brother said “they’ll check the offside” and I replied “they never do for those ...”. Sure enough, they followed the script.

It was up to the referees on the field to make the call right there and then. They had no excuses given they’d already pinged Manly for being offside on their goal line earlier in the match.

I agree that the vast majority of the time the defence are offside, but they deserve absolutely no advantage to be derived from it in the form of intercepting a pass from dummy half.
Last edited by yeh raiders on August 26, 2019, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: August 25, 2019, 11:56 pm
gangrenous wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:58 pm Image

This is just before Lui touches the ball. DCE’s yellow boots are just leaving the line, and he’s relatively similarly placed to the other two in the end. Can’t do much better with the fox footage.
Every single player except one marker is off side in the first pic.
They were allowed to get away with it all day so why would they change? Someone needed to go to the bin when they gave away three straight penalties on their line in the first half.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sure he was offside but looking at it again if Jack isn't so passive in that situation he scores. He did have a good game but an Origin player should make that play, and as a result would start pushing himself into the category of 'elite' player.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Anyone else stay up till 1.30 watching the cricket and hating life today?

I can’t believe what happened in both of those games.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Timbo wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:15 am Anyone else stay up till 1.30 watching the cricket and hating life today?

I can’t believe what happened in both of those games.
Guilty. I can't believe we burnt the review a few overs before we had Stokes plumb LBW and missed out....that could cost us the Ashes and that makes life even harder....but it's probably not a chat for the Raiders vs Sea Eagles Game Day.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

SO pissed off. THe cricket and the raiders both massive chokes for the teams I support.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

What are the neutrals saying about the Wighton no try? To me it was a try.

Really unsure how that can be called a No try and Turbos a try, when Turbos was clearly dropped?

And the intercept/offside, why is it that on EVERY bunker decision, the whole play is reviewed, not just the try scoring play. For example if the ref questions grounding, they'll review the lead up, EVERY TIME. Yet this one, they refused to check the lead up, only the grounding. Why?
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

So I've now digested and calmed down a bit.

Yes, the refs were not great but I'm not blaming them. The amount of times we've gotten away with Hodgo being miles offside, can't dwell on the offside intercept. It was also a pretty ridiculous pass to go for.

BJ had a shocking game. It got to a point where I would be scared he would give away a penalty every time he was involved in a tackle. So the brain explosions are still there - is it worth it carrying this liability into the finals for the promise of his strong performances? Maybe..

We really felt the tale of the missing half in this game as well. Every player was trying to take it upon themselves to win it for us and while we absolutely do have some amazing talent, what I wouldn't give to see some organisation. What was with Sezer being caught out and monstered in every run? His positioning? The team structure? It was something different in this game and it did not gel.

Was one of the more disappointing games overall in the season but here's hoping the boys will learn from it and come back next week firing. Their defence was still great for the majority of the game but they were just not on their game in attack and lacked discipline.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

4. Canberra Raiders (2)
A tough game against Manly but you have to mark hard when the top teams win and the Raiders drop two spots. The worrying sign again is that they concede over their average defensively against the top sides. They had control of that game and it was just a brain snap from Joey Leilua and it could ultimately cost them a top-four spot.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/26/sow ... acid-test/

Round 23 Moment of the week: Croker's try saving tackle: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... ng-tackle/

Raiders.com.au competition to vote for man of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/

By the numbers: Raiders v Sea Eagles: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... ea-eagles/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We are numpties.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I am just not sure that the bunker can look at the offside at the PTB. It is my belief the bunker can only go back as far start of the play for that ruck. Which is when the ball has cleared the ruck Ie the dummy half has picked up the ball.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Thoughts on why we didn’t keep peppering Jorge Taufua with the high ball after he butchered the one kick we did send his way? Was there a reason we didn’t keep going back that way on the last?
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Makaveli wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:51 am And the intercept/offside, why is it that on EVERY bunker decision, the whole play is reviewed, not just the try scoring play. For example if the ref questions grounding, they'll review the lead up, EVERY TIME. Yet this one, they refused to check the lead up, only the grounding. Why?
Exactly. That was what annoyed me the most... the fact that on every other occasion the bunker reviewed the whole play, including the lead up, yet they didn't even bother to take one look to check the offside on this occasion. Some people have argued that perhaps it was because the onfield ref didn't ask the bunker to check it... but that can't be right because how often do we see the bunker check for things the onfield ref didn't ask for! In any case, I thought the whole point of the bunker is to eliminate refereeing howlers by picking up anything that the onfield ref may have blatantly missed.

I recall a game last year vs the Tigers when a S Boyd try was disallowed by the bunker because they ruled that there was insufficient evidence to suggest the ball was grounded... even though the onfield ref didn't ask to check the grounding and it was sent up as a try to begin with. The bunker was only asked to check for obstruction in the lead up, so they clearly have the power to check for things they weren't asked to check.

In saying that, a long ball from 1m out to a flat backline probably wasn't the smartest play. We either need to be deeper or at least have a decoy runner angling back close to the ruck, like the crash balls we love so much.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

My take on it is that the offside wasn't checked its because it was called a try, and the video ref was only asked to look at the BJ incident to make a call on an 8 point try. If it was sent up to check the grounding for example, the bunker would automatically check for onside as they do with every kick chase for example.

The blame shouldn't be put on the bunker here, it should be on the ref, who didn't send it up to get checked, even though he had a bunch of raiders surrounding him yelling that the Manly player was offside.