15%
Sea Eagles 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:59 pm One thing I think we're weak in that very few people point out - our lack of speed in the backline. Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Sezer, Rapana (currently). You can now throw CNK into that basket as well after he showed a lack of toe in attempting to chase Garrick down. Bit more speed and we'd almost certainly have stopped that being a try.

Wighton is our fastest and he's not that that quick. Honestly can't think of a slower backline than ours.
Half the comp is slower than ours. What is this?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:52 pm
kiwi raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:49 pm Harsh call to be penalised in possession for an incorrect play the ball, you'd find 50 of them in any game if you wanted too, in fact Tapau played the ball about 20 times and I'd be surprised if his foot touched the ball in any of them
i thought it was the right call, it was an especially egregrious effort
they'll let it go if you at least attempt to play the ball with the foot, i dont think he made a genuine attempt there... that being said, you're 100% right on Tapau, he had one just as bad about 10 minutes later, and nothing

He also managed to walk 4 metres off the mark and earn an offside penalty somehow, which was baffling to say the least.
Wasnt all one way traffic, the officials had a stinker, and we certainly got some calls
That's the big problem when they penalise those. It happens so often when they do it's actually unfair to the player pinged. Either penalise them or don't. None of this selecting on isolated incidence and ingnoring the rest.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:59 pm One thing I think we're weak in that very few people point out - our lack of speed in the backline. Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Sezer, Rapana (currently). You can now throw CNK into that basket as well after he showed a lack of toe in attempting to chase Garrick down. Bit more speed and we'd almost certainly have stopped that being a try.

Wighton is our fastest and he's not that that quick. Honestly can't think of a slower backline than ours.
That’s a fair call - Oldfield and Simmonsen are quick.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

julian87 wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:01 pm

Actually, and with no research at all, I doubt there's a team out there that doesn't have a faster player than our fastest player. Whoever that is.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

PigRickman wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:52 pm
kiwi raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:49 pm Harsh call to be penalised in possession for an incorrect play the ball, you'd find 50 of them in any game if you wanted too, in fact Tapau played the ball about 20 times and I'd be surprised if his foot touched the ball in any of them
i thought it was the right call, it was an especially egregrious effort
they'll let it go if you at least attempt to play the ball with the foot, i dont think he made a genuine attempt there... that being said, you're 100% right on Tapau, he had one just as bad about 10 minutes later, and nothing

He also managed to walk 4 metres off the mark and earn an offside penalty somehow, which was baffling to say the least.
Wasnt all one way traffic, the officials had a stinker, and we certainly got some calls
I think that was Fonua Balke that walked a mile off the mark, he just about walked in to a different time zone!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Would BJ be playing next week in a Craig Bellamy coached team after that effort? I don’t think so.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

I don’t like blaming the refs but can we seriously get our games done by anyone other than Klein. Seriously the guy is hopeless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

julian87 wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:52 pm God the reaction in here are ridiculous.

The refs ruined what should have been a good game but Manly deserve credit for being tough and pushing the boundaries.

All I’ve read is ‘**** Cotric off’ ‘**** Ashley klein’ ‘**** Leilua’

We’re coming 3rd ****.
Yeah we're coming 3rd which is why we should expect better than what was served up today. They had 2 on the bench for 60 mins ****. No excuse not to win that game. A premiership contender wins that game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:04 pm I think that was Fonua Balke that walked a mile off the mark, he just about walked in to a different time zone!
I think you're right actually.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:01 pm

I've just named 5/7 players that are almost certain to be caught in anything over 60ish metres by at least one opposition player possessing decent speed (which you can reasonably assume IMO). Raps had some legs about him prior to this season but they look shot atm.

The speed the likes of the Storm have on their flanks with Addo-Carr and Vunivalu makes a huge difference to their game.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:30 pm At least you managed to quote correctly this time.

Who honestly cares if the quoted text is top or bottom? It's clearly highlighted and readable. And if this is the chagrin of your life, you're going alright.
Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:25 pm Ha! I am. According to our GH app.

Go back and check out your own incompetence IRT quoting. It's remarkably bad.

Now, about footy. We were bad and deserved to lose, yeah?
Northern Raider wrote: Bollocks.

.. and can you please use quoting properly.
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
So you do it correctly and everybody else is wrong. Ok, we'd better all get this sorted.
Because it makes a quote thread incredibly hard to follow.
Better Image

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

James Hooper and Mick Ennis both calling Wighton’s try ok. Ennis said the interception try was offside Hooper not convinced. Hooper calling for BJs head, Ennis defending him.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The positive is we can be so much better, we haven't peaked yet imo
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And they're B grader's.

FWIW NQ are slow
Billy Walker wrote:

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:09 pm And they're B grader's.

FWIW NQ are slow
Billy Walker wrote:

Was something said? I’m confused?
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Just saw the adin fanua blake mocking of the crowd.... what an absolute ****..... i hope karma gets him and the **** eagles get bundled out in week 1
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:30 pm At least you managed to quote correctly this time.

Who honestly cares if the quoted text is top or bottom? It's clearly highlighted and readable. And if this is the chagrin of your life, you're going alright.
Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:25 pm Ha! I am. According to our GH app.

Go back and check out your own incompetence IRT quoting. It's remarkably bad.

Now, about footy. We were bad and deserved to lose, yeah?

So you do it correctly and everybody else is wrong. Ok, we'd better all get this sorted.
Because it makes a quote thread incredibly hard to follow.
Better Image

Much. Keep it up. :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:05 pm Would BJ be playing next week in a Craig Bellamy coached team after that effort? I don’t think so.
The truth is Bellamy would have punted BJ well before he would ever get the chance to do what he did today.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

As much as BJ was frustrating today I still can’t not pick him next week. Can break a game open at anytime and is the only player outside of Wighton maybe who can offer this.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Bj copping a pasting. He's clearly short of a gallop and bothered to chase Garrick all the way. I was sort of impressed. If only he didn't finish the play by stumbling like a fat kid down a hill - all it needed was benny hill music.

I'm still not sure it was the brain explosion that people are making out. I suspect he's just fatigued and getting into awkward positions. We need him what he brings at his best. Even now he's super effective coming off our line and gets quick play the balls.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I am still absolutely seething.

But anyone who is blaming Croker's kicking for that is an absolute braindead **** ****. He literally scored all the points. If he kicks it we go within two and then what? Klien and co weren't going to blow a **** penalty for us to kick to golden point, get **** serious.

If Croker's was a try last week Jack's should have been a try this week. The absolute highlight of the referee's incompetence today was Jack's being sent up no try and Manly's - where he clearly, obviously, blatantly dropped it - as a try.
Last edited by greeneyed on August 25, 2019, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't avoid the swearing filter
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

BJ, rocks and diamonds as usual. Today more rocks.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Croker also saved 2 tries today, didnt he?
Feels like a weird game to get on him for a single missed kick
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Manly being offside for their 8 point try and Jack getting denied was the difference tonight, two absolute **** calls in this modern day and age.
I ****ing hate manly. **** !!!!!!

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Boomercm wrote:Bj copping a pasting. He's clearly short of a gallop and bothered to chase Garrick all the way. I was sort of impressed. If only he didn't finish the play by stumbling like a fat kid down a hill - all it needed was benny hill music.

I'm still not sure it was the brain explosion that people are making out. I suspect he's just fatigued and getting into awkward positions. We need him what he brings at his best. Even now he's super effective coming off our line and gets quick play the balls.
Last week I saw a post that said Joey was 112kgs. And he actually looks it

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I thought the Jack Try was very ordinary at first
but having watched it again, its the right call...

Im still yet to see a replay properly of the intercept try, but i would find it VERY hard to believe he's onside. Id need to see it to believe it.
Im still stunned they didnt check it
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:04 pm I think that was Fonua Balke that walked a mile off the mark, he just about walked in to a different time zone!
I think you're right actually.
Correct, he should of had to go back almost 10 meters, absolute crap penalty

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

kiwi raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:08 pm The positive is we can be so much better, we haven't peaked yet imo
I don’t think we will ever peak!! Before you know it the 2020 season will be here and we will be talking about what might have been!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I took a few looks at wightons try and its a try every daybof the week. He didnt lose possession of the ball. The defender tried to dislodge it and it spun in the process but he always had his hand on the ball. I love it how that was sent up no try and yet turbos goes up as a try!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

LastRaider wrote:As much as BJ was frustrating today I still can’t not pick him next week. Can break a game open at anytime and is the only player outside of Wighton maybe who can offer this.
Actually you can’t pick him. Because he’ll be suspended.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 25, 2019, 7:29 pm Croker also saved 2 tries today, didnt he?
Feels like a weird game to get on him for a single missed kick
Yeah I’m not Crokers biggest fan but I thought he was among the best today. Kickers miss kicks at times.
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

The jack try I can live with....just. 50/50 calls don't always go your way. The offload/strip call that they scored off a few play the balls later, and the offside Intercept I can't. It's very disappointing to be the better team and not get the 2 points. We shut down turbo, we shut down the offloads, DCE was quite apart from the 40/20. We did everything we needed to get the 2 points....
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:I thought the Jack Try was very ordinary at first
but having watched it again, its the right call...

Im still yet to see a replay properly of the intercept try, but i would find it VERY hard to believe he's onside. Id need to see it to believe it.
Im still stunned they didnt check it
Jack’s no try was correct. I agree. Unlucky, because sent up a try I think it stays a try.

The offside is a lot closer than I thought. There’s no good footage in the fox coverage. But the few screen caps I looked at are fairly inconclusive.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I watched the game from the Philippines and the crowd seemed subdued even though the volume was high at the bar I was in. Was this how it was at the game? In big games we seem to do better away from Bruce, what's doing?
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Croker was probably our best player and has been one of our best all season however this does not absolve him of putting his kicking under the spotlight.

Yes Leilua’s 2 point giveaway was moronic, yes Whitehead’s penalty at the stroke of half time was dumb but again tonight proved Croker’s kicking should be looked at too. If not, then at least on the left side.