Total votes: 13

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

Butters wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:24 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Butters wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:20 pm Lots of discussion about manly being offside for the intercept. Does anyone have any proof?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Give us the correct video footage and we'll find the proof.
I'm not arguing. I'm just going to need it for work tomorrow.

We can only hope it comes available via Fox reviews or something. It felt like the Ch9 coverage didn't want to show it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ha! I am. According to our GH app.

Go back and check out your own incompetence IRT quoting. It's remarkably bad.

Now, about footy. We were bad and deserved to lose, yeah?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We were screwed in that game, however Manly executed their spoiling tactics perfectly. Credit to them. Hasler out-coached Stuart.

Some of those refs decisions were inexplicable though. Good to see the bin used with 1 minute to go.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 25, 2019, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

afgtnk wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:13 pm
Raider47 wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:07 pm Croker kicking undoes us once again. He slots over that relatively straight forward conversion and we have all the possession in last few mins. Received multiple pens and even game or Manly are forced to not give away a pen and opportunities aplenty would arise
There has to come a point where he either gets relieved from his duties or has the tee taken from him when the conversion is to the left of the posts. He has hit them horribly for the entire year from there.
I go back to the prelim vs Melbourne when Croker hurt his leg early. Sezer has ice in his veins kicking under pressure.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So you do it correctly and everybody else is wrong. Ok, we'd better all get this sorted.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

GreenMachine wrote:Can’t see anything other than Roosters v a Storm again...this loss will hurt the confidence and I won’t be surprised if we’re on the back end of an ugly result at Shark Park.
Plus the Sydney media will be giving it to us because we can’t beat top 4 teams.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Looking at the draw I think we definitely run top 4. Manly could lose or win both, and Souths will probably win 1. Hard to guarantee 4th, we just have to try and win both I guess. I suspect we end up 3rd.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We will finish in the 4, and we deserve to.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:27 pm
GreenMachine wrote:Can’t see anything other than Roosters v a Storm again...this loss will hurt the confidence and I won’t be surprised if we’re on the back end of an ugly result at Shark Park.
Plus the Sydney media will be giving it to us because we can’t beat top 4 teams.......

Yep, that monkey won’t come off our back until we consistently deal with it.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

At least you managed to quote correctly this time.

Who honestly cares if the quoted text is top or bottom? It's clearly highlighted and readable. And if this is the chagrin of your life, you're going alright.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Does anyone have a photo of the supposed offside? Isn't it from when the foot touches the ball in the play the ball? I thought he was OK, but didn't get a good view.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Well one things for sure, we will definitely beat the warriors last round.... and if we lose that one, then may god have mercy on our souls.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:26 pm We were screwed in that game, however Manly executed their spoiling tactics perfectly. Credit to them. Hasler out-coached Stuart.

Some of those refs decisions were inexplicable though. Good to see the bin used with 1 minute to go.
It is this

We cannot threaten the comp until we can deal with teams niggle us. Every Manly game for like the last 3 years has followed a very similar script. They play us like absolute fools.

I get no enjoyment out of watching us play Manly at the moment. It is so frustrating.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We really struggle with the niggly teams don't we? It's why Manly and Sharks have been our bogey sides the last few years. There has to be an answer to it. It's lame footy but we fall right into the trap.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Also Manly countered our attempts at stripping just by letting go of the ball before the players pealed off lol. It also worked
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Wighton came a few inches from a jab connecting
Does he have a good behaviours bond
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

They were down to 12 men, and we carted it up the middle the whole set

We might have increased in ability but we're still as dumb as ever. Unbelievable
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Standard Stuart "we will learn from it" speech

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Rick wrote:Was nice of the refs to use the momentum of the Raiders celebration of Deaf Australia to promote blindness and retardation

ImageImageImage fair play, well done. I enjoyed that one.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sadly we did not get the two competition points. We are still in 3rd place on For and Against. We have two loose cannons in our squad. One was injured for todays game. The other is BJ. The judiciary may decide our least disciplined are both missing next week.

Dropping knees into the back of a player after he has scored a try is unforgivable. Incredibly dumb and gave Manly 8 points after we had presented them with an intercept try. With a side rushing off the line I don't know why the play is not to grubber the ball into the ingoal.
Sutton not attempting to use his foot was also a poor penalty which put us under pressure and another penalty led to their first points. Penalties given when we have the ball are the poorest of poor play imo.

On the positive side I thought Jack and JC were terrific on both sides of the ball. Papa and HorsPOWER were strong up the middle as was Sia.

I don't think the Refs decided the game but I do think they influenced it with the continual stoppages. As for the NRL decision to allow trainers to determine when a game is stopped for an 'injured' player (who came back on soon after) is laughable. We had momentum. The player was not near the play and was able to walk off the park. Why is the game stopped to aid the defensive side in that situation?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raider47 wrote:Croker kicking undoes us once again. He slots over that relatively straight forward conversion and we have all the possession in last few mins. Received multiple pens and even game or Manly are forced to not give away a pen and opportunities aplenty would arise
BJ gives away 2 free points with stupid knees in the back, and you have a crack at the bloke who scored 14 and hit the post with a kick?

Baffling
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rick wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:15 pm Was nice of the refs to use the momentum of the Raiders celebration of Deaf Australia to promote blindness and retardation

:roflmao
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson

Post by Scared Hitless »

Just watched the presser and I don't understand why Stuart made absolutely no mention of any of the poor decisions in the game?

I have seem him go off regarding decisions on so many occasions when we were just dumb or played poorly and the one time he has a chance to highlight some legitimately incorrect game-changing calls, he mentions nothing....

Just as frustrating as the game.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'm not going to read the entire thread so apologies if the groupthink has already decided on some of these things, but:

- Klein is the worst senior ref in the NRL. I believe I've said this before. Get used to it, because he'll get the GF.
- Finishing 4th might be better than 3rd. Melbourne are showing cracks and it may well be easier to beat the Storm in Melbourne than the Roosters at the SCG.
- we will probably cream the Sharks.
- Ch7 just reported the Manly try as off an offside. No ifs or buts.
- Jack's "try" was correctly ruled on, he dropped it.
- if Manly had lost they'd be the ones bl;owing up about the refs - they were seriously selective all game.
- Cotric needs to come inside for work more, because it's the only way he's getting any space.
- Conversely, Rapana is rapidly getting past it. He should do less work. He isn't fast and he isn't elusive, despite still being pretty good. There are now plenty of better wingers around.
- We got offload happy. Mostly it worked.
- Manly aren't that good. Except at the niggle. I'll watch the Nein telecast later but I daresay it's worse than the Fox one.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

gangrenous wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:41 pm
Raider47 wrote:Croker kicking undoes us once again. He slots over that relatively straight forward conversion and we have all the possession in last few mins. Received multiple pens and even game or Manly are forced to not give away a pen and opportunities aplenty would arise
BJ gives away 2 free points with stupid knees in the back, and you have a crack at the bloke who scored 14 and hit the post with a kick?

Baffling
Yes.

Leilua is an absolute boofhead.

Doesn’t make me question Croker’s form with the boot any less.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Boomercm wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:27 pm Looking at the draw I think we definitely run top 4. Manly could lose or win both, and Souths will probably win 1. Hard to guarantee 4th, we just have to try and win both I guess. I suspect we end up 3rd.
Yep - that’s not the end of the world today, just very frustrating. The refs are beyond our control but there are a couple of things we need to address out of that game. No deal breakers, we are still good but I feel BJ has nearly played himself out of that team. His discipline is awful. Cotric is poor on the wing, throw him the 4 jumper against the Sharks and start Simmonsen on the wing.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Harsh call to be penalised in possession for an incorrect play the ball, you'd find 50 of them in any game if you wanted too, in fact Tapau played the ball about 20 times and I'd be surprised if his foot touched the ball in any of them
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 23 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Raider47 wrote:

Baffling
Yes.

Leilua is an absolute boofhead.

Doesn’t make me question Croker’s form with the boot any less.
You didn’t question his form. You said it “undoes us once again”. There are plenty of places to apportion blame ahead of that.
Last edited by gangrenous on August 25, 2019, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Lui_Bon wrote: - Ch7 just reported the Manly try as off an offside. No ifs or buts.
They show proof?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:49 pm Harsh call to be penalised in possession for an incorrect play the ball, you'd find 50 of them in any game if you wanted too, in fact Tapau played the ball about 20 times and I'd be surprised if his foot touched the ball in any of them
i thought it was the right call, it was an especially egregrious effort
they'll let it go if you at least attempt to play the ball with the foot, i dont think he made a genuine attempt there... that being said, you're 100% right on Tapau, he had one just as bad about 10 minutes later, and nothing

He also managed to walk 4 metres off the mark and earn an offside penalty somehow, which was baffling to say the least.
Wasnt all one way traffic, the officials had a stinker, and we certainly got some calls
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

God the reaction in here are ridiculous.

The refs ruined what should have been a good game but Manly deserve credit for being tough and pushing the boundaries.

All I’ve read is ‘**** Cotric off’ ‘**** Ashley klein’ ‘**** Leilua’

We’re coming 3rd ****.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Butters wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:49 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: - Ch7 just reported the Manly try as off an offside. No ifs or buts.
They show proof?
They showed a replay. All that's required really.
Last edited by Lui_Bon on August 25, 2019, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

@dubby Because it makes a quote thread incredibly hard to follow.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

One thing I think we're weak in that very few people point out - our lack of speed in the backline. Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Sezer, Rapana (currently). You can now throw CNK into that basket as well after he showed a lack of toe in attempting to chase Garrick down. Bit more speed and we'd almost certainly have stopped that being a try.

Wighton is our fastest and he's not that that quick. Honestly can't think of a slower backline than ours.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Baffling
Exactly.
Croker was one of our best today. Try saving tackle and scores a couple.
I feel bad for every player aside from BJ, who (IMO if Ricky is serious about setting up a culture of accountability) should be having strips torn off him for stupid stupid play.