Jarrod Croker on ABC Canberra Grandstand

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Jarrod Croker on ABC Canberra Grandstand

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker interview:

Not doing a lot on the day off, probably watch a few horse races this afternoon and have dinner with mates. Will get back to the hard work on Monday. Never been in this situation before, I'm sure most players would want a week off to rest up and recover. Back to training Monday all guns blazing.

Had couple of extra days off this week, had sessions on Wednesday and Friday, heavy session yesterday at the stadium. Doing some k's as you don't want to lose fitness... tried to simulate a match yesterday. Monday, Tuesday next week will be a bit of work, ball work. Will do some work focused on the opponent, couldn't do it last week as Manly and Souths are a bit different.

We were at the stadium yesterday, watched the game between Manly and Souths together upstairs afterwards. Some boys love to watch the game, some don't like watching a lot of footy. I watched the first half and went home and saw the second half at home. I went to bed excited, which I didn't want to do. Want to take my mind off it this weekend.

Monday and Tuesday, all the media will be in. We've handled it pretty well, not too much hype last week, all the tickets for friends and family are organised, it is just about the footy now. Captain's run on Thursday. Will be a long day on Friday, but it will be important not to get too wound up early.

Got a few tickets for Goulburn sorted, close friends and family, the rest are members and can sort themselves out!

Gary Belcher interview:

1989... never stopped celebrating! This time of year always brings the memories back, but its 30 years, and now with the team doing so well that brings the memories back too.

The club has done things really well for the 30th anniversary. Hall of Fame dinner and the reunion. Ricky has been one of the big drivers of that. I feel part of the place when I go back now.

Had a chat with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. Popped up from no where. I'm proud of him.

1989 was not as crazy as 1987. We had a parade in 1987 before the game, but 1989 was more restrained. Trepidation, mixed with excitement, we went in as underdogs.

There had been plenty of green through the finals, bus loads of people going up. Not surprised that there were so many Raiders fans there in 1989 at the Grand Final. Plenty of Queenslanders in the team back then so we had a lot of Queensland support, now every English person will be following the Raiders!

The Grand Final. The ground was a bit of a mess, a bit dry. It was low scoring for most of the first half. But though the score was 12-2 at half time, we still thought we were a good chance. I was releived when I scored, as we'd been pumping in attack, but it was getting pretty late in the game when I scored. When Chicka Ferguson scored, and Mal Meninga converted, the Tigers had some players off, we were full of running, and we were always going to back ourselves in extra time.

Thought Chris O'Sullivan field goal was a bit of a selfish play, as I thought we could score a try, but Chris overruled everyone else... and when it went over, I was as excited as anyone else. Great kick.

Steve Jackson try. I was a fair way back, I wasn't going to get close to him. He wasn't passing anyway, he just kept going and going. Mal Meninga missed the goal, so it meant we had to switch back on and defend. It was a bit nerve racking, but with Ricky Stuart's kicking game we always thought we'd be able to get out of any trouble.

Celebrations were crazy. We got on a chartered flight, due to an airline strike. There was no beer in the plane! I'd only had about half a beer. We went back to Mawson and Queanbeyan and there were thousands and thousands of people there. Canberra went off like it never had before and probably has never since.

Current team is resilient, very close. They understand how privileged they are. There's good talent and some good leadership. I do see some similarities to the 1989 team, it's their toughness that make my chest puff out. They're definitely good enough to get to the Grand Final. Got to get there first and then see what happens.

* This is a summary only of the interviews, it is not intended to be a transcript. It was written as the interviews unfolded and I attempt to use as many of the words and terms as possible.

You can listen to a podcast later this afternoon here: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/p ... d/11514082

Jarrod Croker and Gary Belcher can be heard from the start of the program.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 21, 2019, 11:28 am Jarrod Croker interview:

Not doing a lot on the day off, probably watch a few horse races this afternoon and have dinner with mates.
You don’t feel like grabbing a kicking tee and doing a few extras champ? Maybe try and knock a tackle bag over? Hmmm
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: September 22, 2019, 12:15 am

Not doing a lot on the day off, probably watch a few horse races this afternoon and have dinner with mates.
You don’t feel like grabbing a kicking tee and doing a few extras champ? Maybe try and knock a tackle bag over? Hmmm
Seriously... give it a rest!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He went to bed excited, which he didn't want to do.. :(
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: September 22, 2019, 12:15 am

Oh, will you just **** off with this already...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

See Billy? It’s not just me, mate
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: September 22, 2019, 9:58 am See Billy? It’s not just me, mate
Yes it is. You just logged in with your other accounts.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Jarrod Croker on ABC Canberra Grandstand

Post by The Nickman »

Haha yeah, my Fergus and Raiderskater alts

I keep those accounts around for whenever I have to complain about the NRL and how unfair it all is
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 22, 2019, 12:40 pm Haha yeah, my Fergus and Raiderskater alts

I keep those accounts around for whenever I have to complain about the NRL and how unfair it all is
You don't need alternate accounts to complain... you're complaining constantly!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 22, 2019, 12:40 pm Haha yeah, my Fergus and Raiderskater alts

Hahaha the ironing
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote: September 22, 2019, 11:11 am
The Rickman wrote: September 22, 2019, 9:58 am See Billy? It’s not just me, mate
I think it would be fun to get Rickman on some ice skates... :evil:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: September 22, 2019, 11:11 am
I think it would be fun to get Rickman on some ice skates... :evil:
I’ve skated before, and I probably will again
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 22, 2019, 1:42 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Hahaha the ironing
I've done some analysis and 67.2 per cent of your posts are just posts complaining about what other posters post!

* May or may not have done any analysis.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

67.2% of Nickmans posts are whinge.

That's over 22,0000 posts
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:67.2% of Nickmans posts are whinge.

That's over 22,0000 posts
Well, the numbers check out

As you were, gentlemen