Post by Botman »

**** off, it's been a long weekend and YOU LOST THE MUPPET BOWL, GODDAMMIT

*yes, im aware... notgreatbob.gif
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Gasnier is one of the better analysts going around. Figures we barely see him anymore while we get the likes of Finch being lauded in the box for his "footy brain" after explaining why a half kicks into touch on the last tackle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A sin bin for this? Really? Raiders lose Tapine for 10 mins for the smallest of slaps

Was this the softest sin-binning in the history of the NRL?

“Solomona can’t shove somebody in the face and not expect a response,” Josh Hodgson told the referee. “Surely he’s got to go too? He’s made the first strike. Nelson’s the one who has started the antagonising. What have they got?

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c060ffa742

All elbows again? Melbourne Storm under fire for questionable tactics: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a6f7a9690c

Waleed Aly has been floored by a shock NRL result that opened up the race for the premiership, as a new contender came to the fore: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/talki ... 0cf1abf2c6
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:31 pm A sin bin for this? Really? Raiders lose Tapine for 10 mins for the smallest of slaps

“Solomona can’t shove somebody in the face and not expect a response,” Josh Hodgson told the referee. “Surely he’s got to go too? He’s made the first strike. Nelson’s the one who has started the antagonising. What have they got?

All elbows again? Melbourne Storm under fire for questionable tactics: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a6f7a9690c
Lots of truth in those two articles. I am stunned at how the Tapine incident was handled. If Tapine went to the the bin, surely the aggressor should have gone too, and the penalty to the Raiders for the original offence. I don't think there was much in the Tapine "strike" and lots of questionable stuff from the Storm let go.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Gaz being a good analysts is one of the things that really stuns me. He's really quite good. Ennis too.
Gansier had that "Fire up" incident that clouds my view, and Ennis was a grub, and i assosiate a grub as being someone who probably lacks genuine talent and on some level IQ, and makes it through other means, and yet their both really good.

Anasta is a **** clown show.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:23 pm Gasnier is one of the better analysts going around. Figures we barely see him anymore while we get the likes of Finch being lauded in the box for his "footy brain" after explaining why a half kicks into touch on the last tackle.
Finch absolutely lost it on Big League Wrap tonight too, when someone dared to criticise the Storm's tactics. Which deserve criticism.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:31 pm A sin bin for this? Really? Raiders lose Tapine for 10 mins for the smallest of slaps

Lots of truth in those two articles. I am stunned at how the Tapine incident was handled. If Tapine went to the the bin, surely the aggressor should have gone too, and the penalty to the Raiders for the original offence. I don't think there was much in the Tapine "strike" and lots of questionable stuff from the Storm let go.
The sad fact is we should be coached to not react under any circumstance when playing the Storm. Just look back at the 2016 GF Qualifier there. While Jack's holding down at the back should have rightfully been a sinbin they hadn't been ruling it that way all season, yet in a knock out final in Melbourne the 10 fingers couldn't go up quickly enough.

We had a similar incident last night when Wighton intercepted and broke away. We couldn't even earn a penalty for Chambers holding him down.

You only have to look at the last 90 seconds to see how hardcoded it is into the players down there. With 90 seconds left and needing the ball in hand the dim merkins were still gang tackling and wrestling.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on August 18, 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:36 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:23 pm Gasnier is one of the better analysts going around. Figures we barely see him anymore while we get the likes of Finch being lauded in the box for his "footy brain" after explaining why a half kicks into touch on the last tackle.
Finch absolutely lost it on Big League Wrap tonight too, when someone dared to criticise the Storm's tactics. Which deserve criticism.
I'm sure Finch is a salary cap denier.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
Hooper and Ennis should have bought up all the tackles that have earned names and been banned due to the Storm. Ie, Chicken wings and crushes. I’m sure there’s more but I can’t remember.

People aren’t solely pissed about the amount of wrestling in rugby league, it’s the horrible/dangerous positions the Storms new tackling techniques put players in.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky looked bewildered by Tapine's actions during his presser. He was forgiving of Jack. He knows players can't throw anything that remotely looks like a strike in 2019. Hopefully Tapine has got the ill-discipline out of his system for the rest of the season.

I thought Finch had a point when he said that if the Storm are doing something illegal in the game then the NRL will stop them. The outlawing of the Chicken Wing and Crusher are cases in point. The issue is, the Storm are always pushing the limits with tactics to control the tackled player. The Refs don't seem able to enforce the rule that once the tackle is made the player should be released. At least not consistently.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:

The Storm are a blight on the game
Smith is the worst of them.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

For the record I thought we got a bit lucky, The Storm took their foot off the gas, 1 of their tries and 2 of ours were 50/50 at best. If Croker and Rapana's tries were against us I'd be fuming, Hughes knocked the ball out of Croker's hold and rapana put the ball on the touchline if you look at the angle of the put down the first point is at the base of the corner post.
BUT I absolutely loved how hard we played in that 2nd half, our bench held it's own and allowed Papalii to absolutely beast that last 12 to 15 minutes.
Enormous 2pts so long as we can put up 2 of our last 3 as wins.
Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

They are a stain
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: August 19, 2019, 7:55 am For the record I thought we got a bit lucky, The Storm took their foot off the gas, 1 of their tries and 2 of ours were 50/50 at best. If Croker and Rapana's tries were against us I'd be fuming, Hughes knocked the ball out of Croker's hold and rapana put the ball on the touchline if you look at the angle of the put down the first point is at the base of the corner post.
BUT I absolutely loved how hard we played in that 2nd half, our bench held it's own and allowed Papalii to absolutely beast that last 12 to 15 minutes.
If the Croker went upstairs as "no try" it would have came back as "no try" so I agree we got lucky there. The Rapana try..ill take it. They(NRL) have all the cameras..they didn't see any angle that may suggest Rapa put the ball on the chalk..again..it went upstairs as "try". The bunker checked it !

But hey..it's good a few things are going our way !!

Great win boner, very impressed with that.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Did Mrs Smith get a $15,000 ring because of Cameron's achievement ?

400 games !!!

Just personally, in my opinion..that's bizarre !!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The absolute best thing about that game is it strips away the ridiculous notion that we need everything to go our way and top teams to be off their game in order to beat them. 22 mins with 12 men on the park, down by 18, against the team 6 points clear of everyone at their interstate home ground.
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

simo wrote:The absolute best thing about that game is it strips away the ridiculous notion that we need everything to go our way and top teams to be off their game in order to beat them. 22 mins with 12 men on the park, down by 18, against the team 6 points clear of everyone at their interstate home ground.
both teams get a lot out of that, we get belief they get a kick in the pants
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith cops penalty for ‘rubbish on the face’ in clash with Canberra Raiders

Melbourne have been in the headlines over the past week for their wrestling tactics.

“I just want some clarification on what that penalty was for there?” Smith asked Cummins.

Cummins replied: “Rubbish on the face mate, and it was you.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 09f583721b

All elbows again? Melbourne Storm under fire for questionable tactics against Raiders: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a6f7a9690c
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I actually thought they had put false voice overs on the vision last night during the Matty Johns Show... but no!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

That comment got to me too. Image
greeneyed wrote:Just watched the segment on the Raiders V Storm on Big League Wrap...

"If you don't dream, they don't come true"... Ricky Stuart.

I can barely contain myself!
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Anyone who thinks Rapana put the ball on the sideline needs to go get their eyes checked or a new TV.

I saw it CLEARLY grounded inside the line. Why in the last few weeks are people on here continually making up decisions that they think ‘we got lucky on’ when they were the correct call.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Pre finals politicking from all sides. Every club trying to get the focus off their own dodgy **** and focus it on one of their fellow contenders dodgy ****. The Raiders, Rabbitohs and Manly should be coming together on this one and making sure the focus is on the ruck and wrestling. Those three clubs stand to benefit greatly if we go into a finals with a renewed focus on trying to get all the ruck manipulation out of the game.
BJ wrote: August 19, 2019, 10:15 am Anyone who thinks Rapana put the ball on the sideline needs to go get their eyes checked or a new TV.

I saw it CLEARLY grounded inside the line. Why in the last few weeks are people on here continually making up decisions that they think ‘we got lucky on’ when they were the correct call.
The Croker call to me looked dicey AF, but agree with the logic above that it's probably one where if it gets sent up as NO try, it probably stays no try. To what Rickman has said recently, id much prefer things to be handled this way myself.

the Rapana try was much closer than i'd have liked and was well worth a second look at the bunker, but i think it was clearly a try.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

bonehead wrote: August 19, 2019, 7:55 am For the record I thought we got a bit lucky, The Storm took their foot off the gas, 1 of their tries and 2 of ours were 50/50 at best. If Croker and Rapana's tries were against us I'd be fuming, Hughes knocked the ball out of Croker's hold and rapana put the ball on the touchline if you look at the angle of the put down the first point is at the base of the corner post.
If you get a chance watch the Rapana try from the reverse angle over his shoulder. I thought the same as you but that angle shows green between the touchline and the ball. It also shows he put the ball over the line, it was an something else that disturbed the corner post. Definitely an optical illusion from front on as I was thinking the same as you.

We were fortunate with the Croker try.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

BJ wrote: August 19, 2019, 10:15 am Anyone who thinks Rapana put the ball on the sideline needs to go get their eyes checked or a new TV.

TBF I thought all our tries were lucky to be awarded. Not that I thought they weren't tries, but I thought the Bunker would typically rule them as no try based on past experience.

The first Croker one was iffy, looked like he lost it and tried to squeeze it down with his forearm.

The second Croker one looked like an obstruction, it appeared Hodgo ran behind one of our guys and gained an advantage.

The Rapana one I thought BJ obstructed the defensive line by colliding with a defender, and I thought Rapana may have grounded it on the touch line simultaneously.

The Papalii one could easily have been called a forward pass, even though it looked flat to me.

To get all 4 tries awarded was lucky IMO.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Re: Croker's second try. The TV angle was deceptive and looked as if Hodgson may have run behind a block runner, but the second angle clearly showed he actually never got behind him at all. We've done that a few times now and it's a niffty little set play because the block runner essentially obstructs the defenders, and then Hodgson kicks right in behind the players obstructed for a try, but its a legal by the rules because Hodgson never runs behind the block runner...

That'll be one ill be interested to see how they handle in the off season, especially if we continue to use it to success in the finals. It's a legal obstruction play and i can see a case for both sides of it.

But its really quite clever the way Hodgson works it.
Last edited by Botman on August 19, 2019, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

PigRickman wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:34 pm Gaz being a good analysts is one of the things that really stuns me. He's really quite good. Ennis too.
Gansier had that "Fire up" incident that clouds my view, and Ennis was a grub, and i assosiate a grub as being someone who probably lacks genuine talent and on some level IQ, and makes it through other means, and yet their both really good.

Anasta is a **** clown show.
Gaz must have improved a bit. I remember a few years back, he was either a sideline commentator or assistant commentator for a game, and had to give his opinion about how both teams would play (one team being the Raiders).

He made a comment about Canberra playing a really dour boring brand of one-out footy. This was despite the fact Matt Elliot had left about 10 years earlier and Canberra had been playing a far more flamboyant attacking style of footy for a while.

It just revealed to me that Gaz clearly didn't watch much footy and was basing his opinions on a teams playing style based on how they played against him years ago.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Croker always had control of the ball and put downward pressure on the ball with the forearm - try.
50% of the time its a no try - 50% of the time its a try.
Rapana clearly put the ball down and it did not touch the chalk - try.

Solomona should have got ten in the bin as well. Other players from the Storm and the Raiders could have been sent to the bin for incidents on the field as well.

Decisions in games are all circles and roundabouts - sometimes they go your way, sometimes they dont. There's no point agonising over decisions one way or another. The important thing is that we have come to a point where we dont let these things impact our focus on the game, and thats a major milestone for this team.

This was an emphatic win, regardless of 50/50 decisions, regardless of the scoreline, speculation the Storm clocked off or got complacent, or whatever.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

bonehead wrote: August 19, 2019, 7:56 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

They are a stain
Sign me up for membership.
How they get away with the crap they do over the years is staggering.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

zim wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:43 pm
Goldcoast Raider wrote: August 18, 2019, 8:26 am
Kryptonite wrote: August 18, 2019, 8:17 am
LastRaider wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:22 am Watched the replay again this morning on Fox. I loved hearing Mick Ennis passion for the win! He is turning into a real Raider now!
How funny was it when Mick Ennis turned to Big Mal and said " Yeah the Viking Clap is Awesome, ive done it" refering to the 2016 Sharks final :roflmao
I loved him hugging big mal when papa went over 😂
When was this footage shown? In the post-game?
Yes
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote:Re: Croker's second try. The TV angle was deceptive and looked as if Hodgson may have run behind a block runner, but the second angle clearly showed he actually never got behind him at all. We've done that a few times now and it's a niffty little set play because the block runner essentially obstructs the defenders, and then Hodgson kicks right in behind the players obstructed for a try, but its a legal by the rules because Hodgson never runs behind the block runner...

That'll be one ill be interested to see how they handle in the off season, especially if we continue to use it to success in the finals. It's a legal obstruction play and i can see a case for both sides of it.

But its really quite clever the way Hodgson works it.
They need to allow SOMETHING to combat the off side! Given they won’t police the off side!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote:Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith cops penalty for ‘rubbish on the face’ in clash with Canberra Raiders

Melbourne have been in the headlines over the past week for their wrestling tactics.

“I just want some clarification on what that penalty was for there?” Smith asked Cummins.

All elbows again? Melbourne Storm under fire for questionable tactics against Raiders: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a6f7a9690c
Posted to our Facebook page...

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 1569458176

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 19, 2019, 11:17 am
greeneyed wrote:Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith cops penalty for ‘rubbish on the face’ in clash with Canberra Raiders

Posted to our Facebook page...

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 1569458176

Cameron is taught this at training.

Its what all Storm players are taught.

Bert Funch defending Storm tactics last night was disgraceful.

All players..current and former put hand on bible and take an oath to protect the system..
Last edited by -PJ- on August 19, 2019, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Filth
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Is an ear gouge a thing?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.