Total votes: 16

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Sid »

gergreg wrote: August 18, 2019, 11:21 am
Aero wrote:
BJ wrote:I’m surprised Addo Carr didn’t go to the bin as his actions stopped a likely try, considering Rapana almost scored despite the early hit.
The Fox commentary was saying something similar - if that was a grubber kick, that would've a sin bin for tackling a player without the ball to stop a try. But since it was in the air, they didn't even consider it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
If he isn't hit in the air his momentum probably means he lands just about in the in goal and just has to put it down.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I came on here to bring this up again.. I still don't understand how it didn't lead to either a penalty try or a sin bin.

I have no problem with the part about it being tackled in the air, I appreciate it is an attacking player catching the ball.. However the penalty was for Addo-Carr going for the player and not the ball in a try scoring situation (and it was a try scoring situation as the play had gone up to the bunker to rule if this was a try or a no try)

We've consistently seen this result in a penalty try or sin binning when a defender goes for a player and not the ball from a grubber, so I don't understand why it wasn't the result in this play.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton's whirlwind year and he's not done yet

Jack Wighton has experienced a whirlwind past 18 months but the Canberra Raiders five-eighth hopes a new-found maturity means the best is yet to come.​

"We know we can beat any team on any day," Wighton said after the Raiders blew away an 18-0 deficit to claim victory over Storm. "We have got all the confidence in this team and it’s totally up to us."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/18/wig ... -done-yet/

VIDEO: Roaming Elliott: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... g-elliott/

VIDEO: Dane Tilse presents Wighton with 150 club games jersey: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... es-jersey/
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

At the very least it was a professional foul and should have been 10 in the bin. It was a try scoring situation and he tackled the player without the ball.

The fact that it wasn’t even considered is justifying to me.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Sid wrote: August 18, 2019, 11:50 am
Aero wrote:
BJ wrote:I’m surprised Addo Carr didn’t go to the bin as his actions stopped a likely try, considering Rapana almost scored despite the early hit.
The Fox commentary was saying something similar - if that was a grubber kick, that would've a sin bin for tackling a player without the ball to stop a try. But since it was in the air, they didn't even consider it.

If he isn't hit in the air his momentum probably means he lands just about in the in goal and just has to put it down.

I came on here to bring this up again.. I still don't understand how it didn't lead to either a penalty try or a sin bin.

I have no problem with the part about it being tackled in the air, I appreciate it is an attacking player catching the ball.. However the penalty was for Addo-Carr going for the player and not the ball in a try scoring situation (and it was a try scoring situation as the play had gone up to the bunker to rule if this was a try or a no try)

We've consistently seen this result in a penalty try or sin binning when a defender goes for a player and not the ball from a grubber, so I don't understand why it wasn't the result in this play.
I think you make a fair point Sid, for me I just think RL is a game with so many 50/50 grey areas that could be interpreted different ways. I suspect that might be what makes it interesting. Games like tennis are pretty black and white - the ball was either in or out and technology takes the doubt out of it. If Ado Carr was sin binned you can bet there would be a bunch of Storm supporters crying foul today. I won’t argue against you that a sin bin was warranted - you make a strong case. I just think you sometimes have to watch the game knowing you’re going to get the odd lucky call and accepting you’re going to miss a few.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Sid wrote: August 18, 2019, 11:50 am
Aero wrote:

I think you make a fair point Sid, for me I just think RL is a game with so many 50/50 grey areas that could be interpreted different ways. I suspect that might be what makes it interesting. Games like tennis are pretty black and white - the ball was either in or out and technology takes the doubt out of it. If Ado Carr was sin binned you can bet there would be a bunch of Storm supporters crying foul today. I won’t argue against you that a sin bin was warranted - you make a strong case. I just think you sometimes have to watch the game knowing you’re going to get the odd lucky call and accepting you’re going to miss a few.
Shoosh now Billy. Storm supporters would only crying foul today because they don't know the **** rules.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

afgtnk wrote: August 18, 2019, 5:38 am
zim wrote: August 18, 2019, 1:59 am
afgtnk wrote: August 17, 2019, 7:19 pm What a **** player. **** I love him. He WILL go down as our greatest ever forward once he's done
And that pretty much sums up the end. What a ride and we are in this up to our armpits.
We'll be even better next year as well.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves :lol: We all remember 2017.
Haha true but I feel this 2019 group is different. The competitiveness and intensity of guys like Bateman and CNK will help keep them up and guys like Papalii have matured. If George Williams brings his short kicking A game we're going to another level.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just watched Sia's interaction with the greenies in that bay at AAMI Park with the drum.

I love that !!

It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling..spine tingling stuff.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

That set where Smith and Bateman were having a little wrestle; I wonder if Bateman said something because Smith was having a bit of a giggle.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Has Munster been charged for the cannonball? Soliola never stays down for nothing.

A contact I know, reckons Munster targeted Soliola due to his tackle on Slater two years ago.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:Has Munster been charged for the cannonball? Soliola never stays down for nothing.

A contact I know, reckons Munster targeted Soliola due to his tackle on Slater two years ago.
Yeah grade 1 dangerous contact

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Goldcoast Raider wrote:
Kryptonite wrote: August 18, 2019, 8:17 am
LastRaider wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:22 am Watched the replay again this morning on Fox. I loved hearing Mick Ennis passion for the win! He is turning into a real Raider now!
How funny was it when Mick Ennis turned to Big Mal and said " Yeah the Viking Clap is Awesome, ive done it" refering to the 2016 Sharks final :roflmao
I loved him hugging big mal when papa went over Image
Yeah I though that was cool
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:Pigrickman The genius thought this rabble wouldn't lose another game all season :lol:
Actually, that was me you peanut
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Says a lot
Azza wrote:Pigrickman The genius thought this rabble wouldn't lose another game all season Image
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Hahaha and this quote is even better. Was waiting to see this absolute muppet pop into the thread

Great stuff all round here!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:
dubby wrote: August 17, 2019, 6:14 pm Says a lot
Azza wrote:Pigrickman The genius thought this rabble wouldn't lose another game all season Image
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
He's an absolute muppet
Haha this is fantastic stuff!! Absolutely fantastic

Can’t wait to see where they go with this
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:
-TW- wrote: August 17, 2019, 6:23 pm That first 20 was the worst I can remember

Absolutely moronic stuff

It's ok. Rickman and pigrickman said we won't lose another game
Haha BOOM!!

This just keeps getting better and better Azz
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:
Azza wrote: August 17, 2019, 6:51 pmWe will win this
That’s cause you’re a muppet!
Hahaha absolutely outstanding banter, boys
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You’re all muppets.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Tuxy was right all along :(
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:You’re all muppets.
We might be muppets but we’re WINNING muppets Fergus, you big beautiful bastard!!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

PigRickman wrote: August 17, 2019, 6:36 pm Interesting though.
We have played the dumbest 40 minutes i can remember in years

They've scored 3 tries
2 against 12 men, and one lucky AF bounce of the ball try. I dont see the need for doom and gloom, i really dont.
sage words, from a wise man.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They've scored 3 tries
2 against 12 men, and one lucky AF bounce of the ball try. I dont see the need for doom and gloom, i really dont.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh say it
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:

They've scored 3 tries
I'm so ****ing confused right now, I don't know if my ticker would last an 80 minute grand final

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote:You’re all muppets.
I'll second that. That's what makes this place great

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the segment on the Raiders V Storm on Big League Wrap...

"If you don't dream, they don't come true"... Ricky Stuart.

I can barely contain myself!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I just re-watched the replay of the match - can I just say Braith Anasta is an absolutely woeful commentator, in my humble opinion. Not just for his lack of accurate insight, but his sound effects and talking over the head commentator at key moments is just amateurish.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:I just re-watched the replay of the match - can I just say Braith Anasta is an absolutely woeful commentator, in my humble opinion. Not just for his lack of accurate insight, but his sound effects and talking over the head commentator at key moments is just amateurish.
Haha I love when he said the Raiders needed to stop spreading it wide so much... so insightful
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: August 18, 2019, 8:26 am
LastRaider wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:22 am Watched the replay again this morning on Fox. I loved hearing Mick Ennis passion for the win! He is turning into a real Raider now!
How funny was it when Mick Ennis turned to Big Mal and said " Yeah the Viking Clap is Awesome, ive done it" refering to the 2016 Sharks final :roflmao
I loved him hugging big mal when papa went over 😂
When was this footage shown? In the post-game?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:40 pm
Azza wrote:I just re-watched the replay of the match - can I just say Braith Anasta is an absolutely woeful commentator, in my humble opinion. Not just for his lack of accurate insight, but his sound effects and talking over the head commentator at key moments is just amateurish.
Haha I love when he said the Raiders needed to stop spreading it wide so much... so insightful
I watch a lot of footy and this is deadset his go to as a commentator for ever single team that falls behind no matter what. All they need to do is play direct and through the ruck apparently.

It does apply sometimes but he’s deadset a broken record with it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:
Goldcoast Raider wrote: August 18, 2019, 8:26 am
I loved him hugging big mal when papa went over Image
When was this footage shown? In the post-game?
Think it was in that wrap up show after the post game

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:30 pm Just watched the segment on the Raiders V Storm on Big League Wrap...

"If you don't dream, they don't come true"... Ricky Stuart.

I can barely contain myself!
Straight from the movie South Pacific.
Rogers and Hammerstein song 'Happy Talk'

"You've got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,
How you going to have a dream come true."

But who cares where the motivation comes from - we'll take a positive message from anywhere.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: August 18, 2019, 7:51 pm
I watch a lot of footy and this is deadset his go to as a commentator for ever single team that falls behind no matter what. All they need to do is play direct and through the ruck apparently.

It does apply sometimes but he’s deadset a broken record with it.
Yep, he's a **** simpleton... i have no doubt like most who have played the game at his level, there is a level of understanding that he has that others dont, but he cannot convey it in anyway shape or form

I judge colour guys on a very simple metric... have they EVER said anything that made me think to myself "yeah that's a good point, i hadnt thought of that"

if you've played the game at a high enough level that you get handballed a **** colour commentary role, you had better be able to tell some beer bum like me something about the game i dont know. Sterlo has. Johns and Fitler do on the rare occasion they dont show up riding home their FTS ticket... Ennis has, Gasnier, weirdly has...

Anasta, Blocker and the rest of them? Hit the bricks boys. You may know more than me but that means **** squat if you cant arituclate it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This is for those playing at home that missed his gems Image

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Wasn't that directly after Walters was encouraging our expansive game plan?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

PigRickman wrote: August 18, 2019, 8:39 pm Anasta, Blocker and the rest of them? Hit the bricks boys. You may know more than me but that means **** squat if you cant arituclate it.
Do you know how ironic that is? Muppet. :lol: