25%

Total votes: 16

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:30 am
simo wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:03 am I really hope ricky has a word to the team anout how we work the ball out of our corners. Croker trying to take a hitup out of danger is a real waste of a tackle although he should be commended for his toughness. We need to be going 2 - 3 passes wide straight away and at least open up both sides of the field before rucking it out.
Id prefer croker to drop back and recieve kicks so cotric is available to hit it up if needed
I'm going to ignore the "red rag to the greenhouse" hidden in your post and press on regardless.

I'v been banging on about how predictable our back 5 rucking out hit ups are. No support runs, short pass or dummy half, one out. I knew who's run is next I'm damn sure the opposition do too.

I'd love to see us do as suggested, go two passes wide occasionally. Often enough to keep a team honest, but not every set. Fact is that the personel in our back 5 have also not been ideally suited for the task this year, unlike past years.

As far as hit ups goes:
Jack>>Charnze (bigger, better footwork, faster, slides in between better. Charnze all heart but too upright into the line)
Cotric>>Simo (origin level vs decent winger)
BJ>>everyone (he was a weapon)
Past Rapana>>>2019 Rapana (looks half busted to me)

It'd be really nice to have a Brad Clyde wouldn't it... But forwards don't seem bothered anymore.
Its a red rag to those too simple to have a discussion maybe, but its an easy switch to make which would allow the starts to our sets to be stronger. Wighton always gets back in time to shovel the pass out and charnze should be in the vicinity. Id be happiest if we could go two passes wide to bj or rapa if possible but id rather have cotric as an earlier safe option
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

God, Brad Clyde taking the first hit-up after every kick was just magical, wasn't it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Leilua returns for Green Machine's title tilt

Canberra has received a huge boost ahead of their blockbuster clash with the Melbourne Storm with centre Joey Leilua named to run on at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium on Saturday.

"Fingers crossed all goes well, he's got the all-clear to play so it'll be good to have him back because we all know what he can do, but his health is the number one priority," Rapana said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/13/lei ... itle-tilt/

Five Things: Raiders v Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... s-v-storm/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: David Headon: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... d-headon2/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:50 am God, Brad Clyde taking the first hit-up after every kick was just magical, wasn't it?
Clyde was back for the first hit up and Chicka always escaping the first tackler... back in those days you could rely on certain things!
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

simo wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:37 am
simo wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:03 am I really hope ricky has a word to the team anout how we work the ball out of our corners. Croker trying to take a hitup out of danger is a real waste of a tackle although he should be commended for his toughness. We need to be going 2 - 3 passes wide straight away and at least open up both sides of the field before rucking it out.
Id prefer croker to drop back and recieve kicks so cotric is available to hit it up if needed
I'm going to ignore the "red rag to the greenhouse" hidden in your post and press on regardless.

I'v been banging on about how predictable our back 5 rucking out hit ups are. No support runs, short pass or dummy half, one out. I knew who's run is next I'm damn sure the opposition do too.

I'd love to see us do as suggested, go two passes wide occasionally. Often enough to keep a team honest, but not every set. Fact is that the personel in our back 5 have also not been ideally suited for the task this year, unlike past years.

As far as hit ups goes:
Jack>>Charnze (bigger, better footwork, faster, slides in between better. Charnze all heart but too upright into the line)

It'd be really nice to have a Brad Clyde wouldn't it... But forwards don't seem bothered anymore.
Its a red rag to those too simple to have a discussion maybe, but its an easy switch to make which would allow the starts to our sets to be stronger. Wighton always gets back in time to shovel the pass out and charnze should be in the vicinity. Id be happiest if we could go two passes wide to bj or rapa if possible but id rather have cotric as an earlier safe option
Agree Simo, Rapana especially overplays the dummy half run out of trouble. It has been largely ineffective since the refs stopped penalising markers who were not square, and we havent adapted to it.

The other part of this issue that was really driven home to me on the weekend as I was high in the stands watching, is that very often with these ruck out runs, we have our entire side compacted to 1/2 the field width, leading to a massively compressed defence. If we had our boys spread in a proper formation, at the very least it would make the defensive side mark up, giving the dummy runs less of a wall to run into. We can 100% control that aspect and we dont.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: August 14, 2019, 12:55 pm

As far as hit ups goes:

Agree Simo, Rapana especially overplays the dummy half run out of trouble. It has been largely ineffective since the refs stopped penalising markers who were not square, and we havent adapted to it.

The other part of this issue that was really driven home to me on the weekend as I was high in the stands watching, is that very often with these ruck out runs, we have our entire side compacted to 1/2 the field width, leading to a massively compressed defence. If we had our boys spread in a proper formation, at the very least it would make the defensive side mark up, giving the dummy runs less of a wall to run into. We can 100% control that aspect and we dont.
I agree with all of this, I wonder how much of it is a tactical issue and how much is a fitness issue?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:07 pm I like that Simmo has been rewarded with a spot in the 17, but Im not convinced the saftey 1st bench isnt the way to go. Havili, Simmo, Lui/ Horsburgh, Sutton.
Interesting. At the moment I think any bench with Havili on it is also just a safety option.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:

As far as hit ups goes:

You were high in the stands, Coastal??

You old hippy! Surprised you didn’t get caught!!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 1:25 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

As far as hit ups goes:

Its harder than it used to be with all these bags searches at the gates.....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Do they even search for drugs?? I thought they were just checking to make sure nobody was smuggling in sandwiches!
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

I will be taking the wife to AAMI Park for this blockbuster. It will be the first time she has attended a Raiders game, hopefully the boys put on a show.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 2:06 pm Do they even search for drugs?? I thought they were just checking to make sure nobody was smuggling in sandwiches!
Who knows!

I got a metal detector scan on Sunday - thats a first for me I think.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 2:06 pm Do they even search for drugs?? I thought they were just checking to make sure nobody was smuggling in sandwiches!
Made me chuckle.....

anything in the bag buddy?

Ok, fair cop, ive got a bit of weed.

Im talking sandwiches you smartass !!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Are sandwiches really banned?

I thought it was only grog.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: August 14, 2019, 3:28 pm Are sandwiches really banned?

Just grog
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BadnMean wrote:Are sandwiches really banned?

Seems to be inconsistent depending on the Security Guard. They made a lady in front of me throw out her sandwiches earlier this season, but they’ve let me take in water bottles and packaged food without issue other times. They often don’t even check.

I felt a bit sorry for the lady and her kids. They looked pretty basic sangers to feed the kids and save a few dollars.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: August 14, 2019, 3:36 pm
BadnMean wrote:Are sandwiches really banned?

Seems to be inconsistent depending on the Security Guard. They made a lady in front of me throw out her sandwiches earlier this season, but they’ve let me take in water bottles and packaged food without issue other times. They often don’t even check.

I felt a bit sorry for the lady and her kids. They looked pretty basic sangers to feed the kids and save a few dollars.
Makes me feel better about blatantly compromising the "no outside grog" rule every time I attended by stuffing cans of beer into my pockets and a trusty hip flask to liven up the coke.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Early in the game last week our whole back 5 struggled to make inroads in yardage sets and it really is very 1 out from either dummy half or one pass wide. It is a very conservative approach but unless you can win a penalty or generate a quick play of the ball it means you will be kicking from deep in your own half.

We certainly need to use the early shift at times to both open up the field, keep the defence guessing and generate some momentum for our sets. Croker is much more likely to make metres doing this than smashing it up in the middle. I agree that this is courageous but ineffective.

The mentality of just completing sets by playing the highest percentage of football will be enough against mediocre teams but against the best defensive teams you need to make them work harder and that means taking a few more chances and defending the errors this produces when we need to.

I am hoping that Stuart is like a jockey holding back a horse for a few races to build the odds up for the race that matters and that we have a more attacking strategy ready for the finals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can take your own home prepared food, but you can't take commercially produced food. So home made sandwiches are permitted. The security guards simply don't know the rules in my experience. You can't take in alchohol, you can take in unopened plastic bottles of water, non-alcholic drinks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Chief thief Josh Hodgson says Canberra Raiders' stripping not pre-planned

Josh Hodgson said the Raiders' success at stripping the ball from opponents is, for the most part, a spur of the moment idea. Canberra's team tally of 23 is more than double any other side. Melbourne is next best on 11.

"We don't go into a tackle and think we're going to strip, there's certain points in the game on the weekend when we were down by four with a minute left, so we were trying to get the ball back then," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/14/chi ... e-planned/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... s-v-storm/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:You can take your own home prepared food, but you can't take commercially produced food. So home made sandwiches are permitted. The security guards simply don't know the rules in my experience. You can't take in alchohol, you can take in unopened plastic bottles of water, non-alcholic drinks.
Yeah that’s what I thought. But security guards aren’t consistently across the rules.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

pickles wrote: August 14, 2019, 4:32 pm Early in the game last week our whole back 5 struggled to make inroads in yardage sets and it really is very 1 out from either dummy half or one pass wide. It is a very conservative approach but unless you can win a penalty or generate a quick play of the ball it means you will be kicking from deep in your own half.

We certainly need to use the early shift at times to both open up the field, keep the defence guessing and generate some momentum for our sets. Croker is much more likely to make metres doing this than smashing it up in the middle. I agree that this is courageous but ineffective.

The mentality of just completing sets by playing the highest percentage of football will be enough against mediocre teams but against the best defensive teams you need to make them work harder and that means taking a few more chances and defending the errors this produces when we need to.

I am hoping that Stuart is like a jockey holding back a horse for a few races to build the odds up for the race that matters and that we have a more attacking strategy ready for the finals.
I could have sworn we used the shift-it-wide-early approach against the Panthers the other week - to great effect. Not doing it certainly makes it hard for our back five.

I really hope your jockey comparison for Ricky is right. It'd be great to bust out a secret attack for the finals that takes four weeks before anyone works it out.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
greeneyed wrote:You can take your own home prepared food, but you can't take commercially produced food. So home made sandwiches are permitted. The security guards simply don't know the rules in my experience. You can't take in alchohol, you can take in unopened plastic bottles of water, non-alcholic drinks.
Yeah that’s what I thought. But security guards aren’t consistently across the rules.
As long as it's not in the bag they aren't going to question it

I've known people to buy Macca's and put it in a lunchbox

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: August 14, 2019, 5:38 pm
BJ wrote:
As long as it's not in the bag they aren't going to question it

I've known people to buy Macca's and put it in a lunchbox

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Thankfully it looks like papali has stopped doing that this year
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman to the rescue

John Bateman is an option to cover hooker Josh Hodgson for the top-four blockbuster against the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne on Saturday.

"Hopefully Hodgo's fine and gets through it all. You've got 'Batty' there who can play anywhere," Croker said. "You don't want to move your halfback around, but Seze can move around."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Bateman: He's a special player, it's great to have him back: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... -him-back/

Bailey Simonsson to add spark off Canberra Raiders bench

Bailey Simonsson could be the Canberra Raiders' answer to Melbourne Storm speedster Ryan Papenhuyzen.

"Having 'Liva' there was quite handy as well with a back-up nine, but you saw on the weekend we didn't really get to use him until the end of the game," Jarrod Croker said. "Bailey obviously covers an outside back injury.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker says he'll be fit for the clash with the Melbourne Storm, despite head knock last Sunday. Hear from Croker, Josh Hodgson and John Bateman! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/ht4L50vx3u7

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

They should have Liva and Simmo on the bench
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: August 14, 2019, 7:28 pm They should have Liva and Simmo on the bench
Who do you you leave off the bench? Sutton and Young? I'm actually fine with this as it is Young's job to push Hors out as the best rookie, if he can. Guler and Murchie haven't done so already. Young still maybe. Sutton is pants off the bench imo. I'm starting to think he's not in our best 17 with Tapine and Bateman fit.

If you only have Liva OR Simmo, which do you have?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:39 am I think we'll win this game.
So do I. I reckon we've had our loss now, and we don't drop another game this season.
You said that last week
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Muppets the both of them. We'll get pasted.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

As far as hit ups goes:

Get off the pot ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Coastalraider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 1:25 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
BadnMean wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:30 am I'm going to ignore the "red rag to the greenhouse" hidden in your post and press on regardless.

As far as hit ups goes:

Its harder than it used to be with all these bags searches at the gates.....
Can't they just test it for me ?

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

pickles wrote:Early in the game last week our whole back 5 struggled to make inroads in yardage sets and it really is very 1 out from either dummy half or one pass wide. It is a very conservative approach but unless you can win a penalty or generate a quick play of the ball it means you will be kicking from deep in your own half.

Yes, play some footy, my gripe this season is when our backs are set, sometimes Hodgo bashes a forward up the middle. The play is there right now, not after the next tackle, our attack has been solid this year but the one out stuff won't get us far in the finals, in my opinion anyway

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Will all the backlash against the Storm this week have any positive or negative effects on our chances Saturday?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by yeh raiders »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2019, 8:42 pm
The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:39 am I think we'll win this game.
So do I. I reckon we've had our loss now, and we don't drop another game this season.
You said that last week
Botman malfunctioning again..