Saturday 17 August 5:30pm
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Victoria Thunderbolts 3:00pm
Gate 7 only opens at 3:00pm
All gates open at 4:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Raiders head to Melbourne for a clash with the Storm in Round 22. Who should line up for the Green Machine? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton

18. Sam Williams
19. Hudson Young
20. Siliva Havili
21. Emre Guler

Injury/Suspension
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Melbourne Storm

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Tui Kamikamica
15. Tino Faasuamaleaui
16. Joe Stimson
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Max King
19. Tom Eisenhuth
20. Sandor Earl
21. Billy Walters

Officials

Referees: Ben Cummins, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Sideline Officials: Kasey Badger, Nick Beashel
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLStormRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by zim »

2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yeah I can’t see much point in having Havilii on the bench either
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

As I said in the other thread. I think the most important thing is having one of Tapine and Papalii on the field the whole game.

That middle period of the game where we have Hors, Sutton and Lui on kills us imo.

Funnily enough while Melbourne are supposedly the benchmark I’m more confident of wining this game than I was of beating the Roosters yesterday.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

julian87 wrote:As I said in the other thread. I think the most important thing is having one of Tapine and Papalii on the field the whole game.

That middle period of the game where we have Hors, Sutton and Lui on kills us imo.

Funnily enough while Melbourne are supposedly the benchmark I’m more confident of wining this game than I was of beating the Roosters yesterday.
I’m not confident at all, we’re not playing anywhere good enough to beat the Storm. We need to learn composure!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think we'll win this game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I didn’t watch the press conferences, is Croker expected to pull up ok after the head knock? He didn’t seem knock out but it was a fairly solid head slam.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:39 am I think we'll win this game.
I hope you're right. We'll have to be a whole lot smarter than we were against the Roosters.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:39 am I think we'll win this game.
So do I. I reckon we've had our loss now, and we don't drop another game this season.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

zim wrote: August 11, 2019, 11:38 pm 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton
This team would probably be the logical choice but to be honest I like Young as a bench option. Not sure who I'd squeeze out but his ability to play second row gives us some versatility in our options. I'd be keeping the two best of Lui/Horsburgh/Sutton and giving Young the third spot. And I'm a fan of Simonsson on the interchange, I also think we'll see it happen with Leilua back at centre.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker (c)
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson (c)
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Lui
17. Simonsson

18. Young

Soliola has been great lately, but I just feel we lose too much when he and Paps go off, like Jules has been banging on about. This way we hopefully don't lose momentum when Sia replaces Paps, and Lui can switch with Sutton. Soliola doesn't need to do big minutes, just hold the momentum until Paps comes back on, and I feel Paps has been staying off for too long in games, he has a big motor, he should be using it.

Finally, I'd like to see Simonsson come onto the game in about the 60th minute into a roving lock-type position like was originally intended earlier in the season against Manly before Rapana got injured. To that end, I've swapped Tapine and Bateman, as they can probably both go the full game if they need to in those positions. Otherwise you spell Tapine and move Bateman to the edge and bring Simo into the middle. Barring that plan, I'd play Hudson Young off the bench.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:01 am 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker (c)
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson (c)
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Lui
17. Simonsson

18. Young

Soliola has been great lately, but I just feel we lose too much when he and Paps go off, like Jules has been banging on about. This way we hopefully don't lose momentum when Sia replaces Paps, and Lui can switch with Sutton. Soliola doesn't need to do big minutes, just hold the momentum until Paps comes back on, and I feel Paps has been staying off for too long in games, he has a big motor, he should be using it.

Finally, I'd like to see Simonsson come onto the game in about the 60th minute into a roving lock-type position like was originally intended earlier in the season against Manly before Rapana got injured. To that end, I've swapped Tapine and Bateman, as they can probably both go the full game if they need to in those positions. Otherwise you spell Tapine and move Bateman to the edge and bring Simo into the middle. Barring that plan, I'd play Hudson Young off the bench.
I like this team too, I think if you were going down the Tapine at second row and Bateman at lock route then it makes a bigger case for Young on the interchange. I don't think we'd need three middles and in the case of your team I'd switch Havili out for him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I like that team. I like the idea of trialing Tapine on an edge before the finals. If that switch means both him and Bateman play 80 it’s a positive imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Havili definitely has a place in the team. If Simonsson is on the bench, you still have three running forwards with Havili there, but you also have hooker cover in the case that the unexpected happens, which could be critical in a big game.

And they're all big games from here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead charged with dangerous contact by match review committee

The Match Review Committee has cited Elliott with a grade one dangerous contact charge for a 28th-minute incident involving Roosters centre Joseph Manu. He will be free to play with an early guilty plea, but will miss a match if he challenges and loses. The charge comes with 100 base points and he will have 75 carry over points with an early guilty plea. There are no loadings.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/09/rou ... -week-ban/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Winless against top-four rivals but resolve still strong, says Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton

Ryan Sutton is adamant the Raiders are not discouraged by their lack of success against the rest of the NRL's heavyweights in the wake of Sunday's four-point loss to the Sydney Roosters.

"We're not happy because we didn't get the result we wanted but at the same time we've can take a lot of positives out of it because that's the pacing and style of semi-finals football.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/12/win ... ng-sutton/

Raiders.com.au competition to vote for man of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Elliott charged by match review

Post by cat »

Nrl.com

Elliott charged, misses no games if sucks it up and takes guilty plea

All roosters cleared of swinging arms, head highs etc etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I again know that we won't fight it. But I really hope that he does. This was a BS report and not worth a week. We should be at full strength on the weekend so can possibly cover. I just don't like the 75 carry over points heading into the finals, any slip up and it could cost him a final.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:01 am 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker (c)
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson (c)
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Lui
17. Simonsson

18. Young

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:32 am Havili definitely has a place in the team. If Simonsson is on the bench, you still have three running forwards with Havili there, but you also have hooker cover in the case that the unexpected happens, which could be critical in a big game.

And they're all big games from here.
This is the makeup of the team i was discussing last week on a couple of threads. I also mentioned it on GH Live after the Chooks game.

We have big min middles avaliable to us ATM - Papa, Tapine, Sutton, Lui and Sia. All these guys can play 50mins, and I reckon the first 3 can pump out 60 if required.

We are currently running Havili at 25mins or less. Pretty sure he only got less than 10min on the weekend. We need to stop thinking of him as a backup 9, and more of a running middle forward. We need to use him like Brandon Smith, and thats as an impact middle. My only worry here is that his minutes have totally dried up, and so match fitness is an issue. It also might be Rickys out as a utility for utility swap, not that thats the way Id go.

Our 5th middle, who has been Horse/ Young/ Guler most of the yr, is also playing 35mins or less. Sutton got these mins on the weekend, but it was approx 25mins. TBF, he was returning from a 3wk injury though.

So, we have 2 benchies who are playing very limited mins anyway. No reason why we cant look at the safety 1st bench setup, which, TBH, is the way the Storm are currently looking at their setup; HIA/ injury proof.

IMO Ricky is taking the Bellyache approach of getting his starting 13 to do the lions share of the work, and have 1 or 2 benchies that really only relieve his props. Look at the way he uses his full strength team, only BSmith and Welch were getting regular minutes. In recent times Papanhuysen has seen increased mins off the bench, but that has meant less for the others, and thats because he has been too good not to find a spot for.

I am aware that Havili isnt BSmith.
I am aware that Simmonson/ Leilua arent Papanhuysen.
Doesnt meant we cant look at their roles and think, yep, we can do that too.

I think had we had BJ on the bench on the weekend, coming on with 10-15 to go, which was just after we scored that try, and had him in a roving lock role, I think he would have created more headaches for the Chooks. He also has that solo effort game breaking ability. In the long run we will want him at centre, and Im proposing Simmo gets this role. With 2 fullback types (Simmo and CNK) sniffing around for offloads and broken play, or a dummyhalf scoot in the middle of a set, we have an added attacking dimension, and allows Hodgo to focus on his chief playmaking role.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I agree with what you're saying Matty, however I wouldn't have Simonssen on the bench instead of Havili. I'd have both, then you're covered for all bases and Havili can easily fill a running forward slot.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Our bench was fine in this game. It was all about our errors and pens. Once the interchanges happened we had a run of 5 roosters penalties with only one coming from a bench player and all the errors were from our 80min players.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

My only concern with BJ being introduced into the starting side this week is that if ever there were a team capable of exploiting the space on the edges created by a player lacking match fitness and structural cohesion - it's the Storm.

That being said, BJ can create his own opportunities too, which is something we need going into the finals..

I think the bench should remain the same.

Havilli has to play.

I think Simonsson misses....in fairness, I thought he outplayed Cotric who IMO played poorly against the Roosters...
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I hope Whitehead contests the charge because the 75 carry-over points could be an issue in the finals. With Tapine back and the option of bringing in either Young or Havilii, we can cover for him if it goes wrong even though we're talking Storm and Manly.

People can forget about playing Tapine on the edge at 2nd row. An article on the weekend made it clear that he sees himself playing lock for the foreseeable future.

I can see Ricky bringing Leilua back just because Cotric and Rapana had very little chemistry.

2. Nic Cotric (I'm sure Ricky will talk to him about that bonehead double movement. Did okay after three weeks out. Bailey Simonsson will be unlucky to miss out).
3. Jarrod Croker (assuming he passes concussion tests).
4. BJ Leilua. (Otherwise, it will Cotric in the centres again and Simonsson getting the reprieve).
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer. (Another subdued game and we'll be back on the forum about him versus Williams <sigh>).
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead. (Lui if he gets rubbed out).
13. Ryan Sutton. (He's the sort of player who needs to start).

14. Joseph Tapine
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Saliva Havilii

18. Simonsson
19. Williams
20. Gulre
21. Young
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Havili played four minutes on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Interesting thoughts on Whitehead contesting the charge Yuri. I’m with you - there wasn’t much in it and I think we should seriously consider rolling the dice to wipe out the carryover points. If it all goes bad he would be a big out against the Storm, but could probably use the rest and can go into finals without the carryovers. I say contest it!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2019, 1:34 pm Havili played four minutes on Sunday.
Yep. Don't see him in our full strength side. We have better middle forwards.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

BJ is fit and ready to go..

He starts at #4 on Saturday..he'll be fine.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Jordan Rapana says renewed Joey Leilua 'back early for a reason'

Rarely has Joey Leilua been the hardest worker in the room.

"I've got to give credit to him. He's probably not the most diligent in the gym or the most hard-working NRL player I've come across," Rapana said. "He has really worked his **** off and done all his extras. He's back early for a reason and it's a credit to him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Jack Wighton to play his 150th match in green against the Storm

Canberra five-eighth Jack Wighton will play his 150th NRL game when the Raiders take on the rugby league powerhouse based a stone's throw from Australian sport's mecca. And everyone can be sure about this milestone - because they certainly weren't when Wighton brought up his ton.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:49 pm BJ is fit and ready to go..

Hey you muppet - while I agree with this, I note the Raiders lost on Sunday even though you said we'd be fine. That's disappointing. And worrying.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: August 12, 2019, 4:29 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:49 pm BJ is fit and ready to go..

Hey you muppet - while I agree with this, I note the Raiders lost on Sunday even though you said we'd be fine. That's disappointing. And worrying.
It's clear to me also that the loss was all PJ's fault, Azza.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-PJ- wrote:BJ is fit and ready to go..

I'm worried

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Everybody's worried..

And Azza..I've gone from a pompous derelict to a muppet.

Nice..Yr warming to me.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Sutton is a bit of plodder with the ball in hand.

I probably prefer him to have less minutes and havili more even if he is just played as a middle.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgson
10. Sia
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Sam Williams
15. Tapine
16. Lui
17. Horse

We need an option on the bench to call in to spark some attack when we are flat. Sam our best option for this.

We lose our grit in the middle when Papa comes off, so we need Tapine to come in then
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 6:58 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgson
10. Sia
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Sam Williams
15. Tapine
16. Lui
17. Horse

We need an option on the bench to call in to spark some attack when we are flat. Sam our best option for this.

We lose our grit in the middle when Papa comes off, so we need Tapine to come in then
Sam Williams is not the name I associate with the word Spark
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.