Raiders most popular sports team in Canberra

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders most popular sports team in Canberra

Post by greeneyed »

Dogs over cats, Raiders over Brumbies, and other factors of Canberra life revealed in community survey

Data released by the ACT Government has provided a snapshot of the lifestyle of most Canberrans, with answers to a handful of specific but common questions.

Eighteen per cent said they supported the Raiders, while 17 per cent supported the Brumbies. When it came to AFL, 10 per cent of Canberrans supported the GWS Giants. But the survey revealed a whopping 60 per cent of the city do not support any local sports team.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-06/ ... t/11385188

I don’t for a moment think those numbers are accurate... as you have to sign up to participate in the polls and be a part of their panel: https://www.yoursay.act.gov.au/yoursay-community-panel

But it seems the ACT Government might well take notice of the results... otherwise they won’t have done this at all. So if you want to see the Raiders properly represented... join up!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Raiders most popular sports team in Canberra

Post by Billy Walker »

GE - When you say you don’t think those numbers are accurate, I assume you mean they aren’t an accurate reflection of Canberra society rather than someone has miscounted or fiddled with them. Are you suggesting that a union or AFL supporter is more likely to register to participate in a survey than a league supporter? Just curious as to where you think the bias might be that makes them inaccurate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: August 10, 2019, 4:12 am GE - When you say you don’t think those numbers are accurate, I assume you mean they aren’t an accurate reflection of Canberra society rather than someone has miscounted or fiddled with them. Are you suggesting that a union or AFL supporter is more likely to register to participate in a survey than a league supporter? Just curious as to where you think the bias might be that makes them inaccurate.
No one has miscounted. What the analysts have probably correctly done is sought to make the sample used from the panel as close to being representative of the ACT population as a whole as possible, based on what they know from census and other more reliable data. That’s not “fiddling”, that’s good quantitative practice. Of course, they might not be so sophisticated.

But the panel is always going to be biased by self selection... and it is going to be full of activists, who take the time to sign up as I did yesterday. I suspect a lot of those people, for example, are not sports lovers... rather they’re tram lovers or banning plastic lovers or wild life lovers or lovers of banning gambling or whatever. I do suspect a lot of those people will be from classes of society who are traditionally not rugby league fans.

And what I’m suggesting is that sports, rugby league and Raiders fans need to become activists.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2019, 7:39 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 10, 2019, 4:12 am GE - When you say you don’t think those numbers are accurate, I assume you mean they aren’t an accurate reflection of Canberra society rather than someone has miscounted or fiddled with them. Are you suggesting that a union or AFL supporter is more likely to register to participate in a survey than a league supporter? Just curious as to where you think the bias might be that makes them inaccurate.
No one has miscounted. What the analysts have probably correctly done is sought to make the sample used from the panel as close to being representative of the ACT population as a whole as possible, based on what they know from census and other more reliable data. That’s not “fiddling”, that’s good quantitative practice. Of course, they might not be so sophisticated.

But the panel is always going to be biased by self selection... and it is going to be full of activists, who take the time to sign up as I did yesterday. I suspect a lot of those people, for example, are not sports lovers... rather they’re tram lovers or banning plastic lovers or wild life lovers or lovers of banning gambling or whatever. I do suspect a lot of those people will be from classes of society who are traditionally not rugby league fans.

And what I’m suggesting is that sports, rugby league and Raiders fans need to become activists.
Makes sense. It always worries me how minority groups can influence these things.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep dodgy. Self selected survey.

Definitely likely to favour inner city, private school educated Union fans over your outer suburb, working class League fan who take no interest in ACT Government plans.

I presume the Brumbies would love to have 94% the level of interest as the Raiders.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 11:26 pm Dogs over cats, Raiders over Brumbies, and other factors of Canberra life revealed in community survey

Data released by the ACT Government has provided a snapshot of the lifestyle of most Canberrans, with answers to a handful of specific but common questions.

Eighteen per cent said they supported the Raiders, while 17 per cent supported the Brumbies. When it came to AFL, 10 per cent of Canberrans supported the GWS Giants. But the survey revealed a whopping 60 per cent of the city do not support any local sports team.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-06/ ... t/11385188

I don’t for a moment think those numbers are accurate... as you have to sign up to participate in the polls and be a part of their panel: https://www.yoursay.act.gov.au/yoursay-community-panel

But it seems the ACT Government might well take notice of the results... otherwise they won’t have done this at all. So if you want to see the Raiders properly represented... join up!
So the ACT Government still believes the outcome of 'small number of participant' polls? :thumbsdown Have they learned nothing from the actual outcomes of items from Brexit, to Donald Trump to our own recent Federal Election? Apparently not. These types of polls have proved to be inaccurate. They are as inconsistent as the MRC in Rugby League. If they are basing planning decisions around such polls ...