2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Sunday 11 August 2:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:45am
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: 🌦 Possible shower. Cloudy. Medium chance of showers or brief snow flurry in the morning and afternoon. Small hail possible. Winds northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h turning west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day. Chance of any rain: 40 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mm Min 1 Max 11

Round 20 2019. Canberra Raiders 46 - New Zealand Warriors 12. The Canberra Raiders were dominant, all over the park. It was wet, it was windy, but the Raiders put on a display that would befit a sunny Sunday afternoon. They led 30-0 at half time and kept up the pressure through the second half. For those like me, who have been waiting for the Canberra attack to click, this was your game. There were eight tries, including a certain nomination for the try of the year. But the Raiders' performance was based first in taking control of the middle of the park and controlling possession. It was based secondly on a very good kicking game, which limited the opportunities for Roger Tuivasa Sheck and Ken Maumalo with the ball. And Canberra's opportunities in attack flowed from that.

More on Round 20: As I saw it

The Raiders now return home in Round 21 to face the Sydney Roosters in a mouth watering clash. Nick Cotric comes back from suspension at centre with Michael Oldfield dropping to the reserves list. Ryan Sutton (calf) replaces Emre Guler on the bench after being cleared to return from injury. Joey Leilua (bulging disc) has been named on the extended reserves list.

For the Roosters, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is back from suspension, with Zane Tetevano dropping to the bench and Lindsay Collins to the extended reserves list.

Milestone: Jarrod Croker plays his 250th game in this clash.

Late changes: Sam Williams and Michael Oldfield were omitted from the Raiders squad of 21, leaving Joey Leilua and Emre Guler on the extended bench. Lindsay Collins and Drew Hutchison were cut from the Roosters' squad. Lachlan Lam also played for the North Sydney Bears on Saturday, effectively leaving only Matt Ikuvalu on the extended bench for the Roosters.

History: The Raiders have won 28 of 62 matches against the Sydney Roosters. The Raiders have endured some long losing streaks against the Roosters since the turn of the century. But Canberra has now won six of the past 10 matches, and three of the past five.

The Raiders won 21-20 in Round 2 of 2016 and 24-16 in Round 12 of 2017, with both matches played at Canberra Stadium. They followed that up at home in Round 23 last year, beating the ultimate premiers, 14-12. The Roosters scored two tries to one, but Sam Williams kicked five goals, in one of Canberra's most impressive performances of 2018. Earlier this year, the Roosters won 30-24 at Lang Park during Magic Round. The Roosters went to a 30-6 lead early in the second half - and the Raiders' subsequent comeback fell short.

The Raiders have won 14 of 20 games against the Roosters at Canberra Stadium, including the past five straight.

2019 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

2018 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

Form: Raiders: LWWWW
Roosters: WLWWW

In their last outing, the Roosters had a huge 58-6 win over the Gold Coast Titans at the Sydney Cricket Ground. They're on a three game winning streak, with recent victories over the Bulldogs (20-12), Knights (48-10) and Tigers (24-16). They lost to the Cowboys (15-12) in Round 17. The Raiders are on a four game winning streak and have now won six of their past eight games.

Betting: The Roosters are $1.85 favourites, with the Raiders paying $1.95. The Raiders have 1.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders odds have shortened over the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between second and third on the ladder - and a battle for second place.

The Raiders attack has not really been firing on all cylinders, but the big win over the Warriors saw their ranking lift from fifth to third for points scored. In comparison, the Roosters rank second for most points scored and first for tries scored (84) and try assists. They also rank second for running metres, line breaks and line break assists.

The two teams boast the top two point scorers in the competition - with the Roosters' Latrell Mitchell on 211 points so far this season, and Jarrod Croker on 166.

Mitchell is now equal second for most tries in the competition (14) and ranks equal second for line break assists. Roosters' fullback James Tedesco leads the competition for line breaks (16) and tackle breaks (113) - and ranks fourth for most running metres and kick return metres. Despite missing a month of football, Roosters' five eighth Luke Keary ranks second for try assists and equal fourth for line break assists. That is just the start of the Roosters' danger men in attack. Thinking Cooper Cronk anyone?

The Raiders, of course, have their own strike players, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad leading the league for kick return metres and ranking third for all runs and running metres. At hooker, Josh Hodgson ranks fourth for dummy half running - and he made the Warriors pay in that department last Friday. But there is little doubt the Roosters have the advantage in attack.

The Raiders have the second best defence in the competition, after the Storm. Canberra has conceded under 15 points per game - but the Roosters are not far off, conceding just 16 per game. The Raiders have the slightly better effective tackle rate. Canberra's defence will need to be right on point on Sunday.

The Raiders will also aim to control the tempo and contain the Roosters through their kicking game. No team kicks more than the Raiders, and they are second only to the Broncos for kicking metres gained. They'll need to find grass or the touchline in this game - and keep the ball out of the hands of the Roosters' strike players as much as possible. Watch for 40/20s. Both teams lead the league with four apiece.

An area where the Raiders might have an advantage is possession and completions. Canberra only ranks behind the Storm for possession share (Roosters 10th). The Roosters' expansive attack comes with more errors. They have the second highest error count in the competition and produce the most handling errors. The Raiders' completion rate is near the benchmark (79 per cent), while the Roosters rank 14th (74 per cent).

Season record: Raiders 13 and 6 (3rd, +157)
Roosters 13 and 6 (2nd, +192)

Home and away: Raiders 5 of 9 at home
Roosters 6 of 9 away

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 4 of 9
Roosters have won 7 of 9

Attack: Raiders 23 points and 3.8 tries scored per match, ranked 3rd
Roosters 26 points and 4.4 tries scored per match, ranked 2nd

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.5 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Roosters 16 points and 2.6 tries conceded per match, ranked 3rd

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent
Roosters 74 per cent

Running: Raiders 1578 running metres from 175 runs, 186 kick return metres, 457 post contact metres per match
Roosters 1657 running metres from 174 runs, 194 kick return metres, 459 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 33, Roosters 33

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Roosters 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Roosters 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Roosters 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 8, Roosters 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 593 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Roosters 535 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 328 made, 30 missed, 13 ineffective per match
Roosters 332 made, 27 missed, 18 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1362, Roosters 1400 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Roosters 12 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Roosters 7 per match

Our tip: This is going to be a cracking game. It will be played in front of a big Raiders' home crowd, with 18-20,000 expected. It will be a real test of where the Raiders are, whether they are genuine challengers for the "big three" teams. It is a critical match for the Raiders to win if they are to get a valuable top two finish. And for the Green Machine, it has the added significance of marking 250 games in green for co-captain Jarrod Croker.

The statistical indicators suggest the Roosters are deserved favourites, but not by much. The Raiders won't be able to afford the slow start they produced at Lang Park in Magic Round. However, Canberra has the game plan that can frustrate the Roosters. For Canberra to win, the forwards will need to get on top of their opponents in the middle. The Raiders will need good line speed, good work in the rucks, and good, patient defensive decisions on the edges. The Raiders' kickers will need to pin the Roosters at their own end - and out of the hands of the Roosters' danger men. They did it perfectly last year in Canberra - and I think they can do it again. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Josh Papalii on Croker's 250th match: "I'm desperate (to win for Croker). He's done a lot in this green jersey and if we can't get up for this game for Jarrod, I don't know what we can get up for. Toots is a player who's worn this jersey with pride and it just seems like he's getting better every year. He's like a fine wine. He's still young by the way, he just keeps breaking all of these records. I'm just glad he's on my side."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton

19. Joey Leilua
20. Emre Guler

Injury/Suspension
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk (c)
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Sam Verrills
10. Isaac Liu
11. Angus Crichton
12. Mitchell Aubusson
13. Victor Radley

14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Poasa Faamausili
17. Sitili Tupouniua

20. Matt Ikuvalu

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, Chris Sutton
Sideline Officials: Belinda Sharpe, Phil Henderson
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersRoosters

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads, team changes and officials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33532&p=1682027#p1682027
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

How this isn’t a Friday night game on free to air I don’t know. Definitely the game of the round with Storm v Rabbitohs
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

LastRaider wrote:How this isn’t a Friday night game on free to air I don’t know. Definitely the game of the round with Storm v Rabbitohs
Thats one of the draw backs of the draw being all set at the start of the season

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

cat wrote:
LastRaider wrote:How this isn’t a Friday night game on free to air I don’t know. Definitely the game of the round with Storm v Rabbitohs
Thats one of the draw backs of the draw being all set at the start of the season

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Broncos might have only got 19 free to air games this season if Channel 9 knew how hopeless they would be.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

What a massive game, I'm proud of this squad.
There is something special about this 2019 raiders

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Bought my ticket today, I’ll be there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Just looking at Ticketek and the inner bowls and grandstands are largely sold out. Should be a good crowd
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makaveli wrote: August 8, 2019, 4:51 pm Just looking at Ticketek and the inner bowls and grandstands are largely sold out. Should be a good crowd
This morning I'm told the pax numbers were past 15,000.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Thats right nowImage

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

It's looking pretty good!

If the weather somehow clears up a bit by Sunday and the sun comes out I think 20k might be doable. At the moment, I think we'll fall just short. The weather is predicted to be not great, and there's going to be quite a few people who'll prefer to watch it on Fox and Kayo rather than sit in the cold and maybe rain.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for weather, odds: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33532&p=1682027#p1682027
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: August 8, 2019, 8:59 pm It's looking pretty good!

If the weather somehow clears up a bit by Sunday and the sun comes out I think 20k might be doable. At the moment, I think we'll fall just short. The weather is predicted to be not great, and there's going to be quite a few cowards who'll prefer to watch it on Fox and Kayo rather than sit in the cold and maybe rain.
Fixed that for you
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 4:13 pm Game day preview updated for squads, team changes and officials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33532&p=1682027#p1682027
GE - are you able to tell me the process for locking down the team. Obviously a team is listed on Tuesday, but I heard Ricky on the radio this morning talking about making a call on BJ today. Is that updated list now a lock pending injury or illness or is there still scope to play ducks and drakes and slip BJ in last minute?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 4:13 pm Game day preview updated for squads, team changes and officials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33532&p=1682027#p1682027
GE - are you able to tell me the process for locking down the team. Obviously a team is listed on Tuesday, but I heard Ricky on the radio this morning talking about making a call on BJ today. Is that updated list now a lock pending injury or illness or is there still scope to play ducks and drakes and slip BJ in last minute?

Two players from the squad of 21 must be omitted 24 hours before kick off. Then the final 17 must be named an hour before kick off. The two reserves can be called on if there is an injury in warm up.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Cheers GE. I read that as saying Ricky can play around with his final 19 as he pleases. I’m guessing Simmonsen wouldn’t have to provide a Dr Certificate if he’s a lady minute scratching haha
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:58 pm Cheers GE. I read that as saying Ricky can play around with his final 19 as he pleases. I’m guessing Simmonsen wouldn’t have to provide a Dr Certificate if he’s a lady minute scratching haha
Teams will generally want to be pretty sure of their final 17 after their captain’s run... they just don’t have to announce it until an hour before the game. They won’t want to mess with that unless they’re forced to by last gasp injury.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Been snowing at my place in Canberra tonight... been quite a while since that’s happened.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 9:34 pm Been snowing at my place in Canberra tonight... been quite a while since that’s happened.
Watching the AFL fans melting down on Twitter has been hilarious. They're whinging and moaning that the AFL was stupid to schedule a night game in Canberra. :roflmao
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They’re welcome to leave and Canberra taxpayers will save a lot of money.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 9:34 pm Been snowing at my place in Canberra tonight... been quite a while since that’s happened.
I've never seen snow...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I want to know. Have you ever seen the rain?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: August 10, 2019, 9:39 am
I've never seen snow...
Well, if you come to the Snowy Mountains in winter, you will!

I'm laughing at the AFL mob going on about how they now have their own "snow" game on the radio this morning. The Raiders have had many games when it snowed as it did last night... melting before it hit the ground. The Raiders' snow game was in a blizzard!
dostix
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Toots

Post by dostix »

It had to be done.... this is my sons sign for tomorrows game. He is a massive CHARNZIE fan.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Sam Williams and Michael Oldfield cut from Canberra Raiders squad to meet Sydney Roosters, leaving Joey Leilua and Emre Guler on the extended bench. Latest squads, updated weather 🌦️ and odds: http://ow.ly/wR5150vtpt4

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dostix wrote: August 10, 2019, 6:01 pm It had to be done.... this is my sons sign for tomorrows game. He is a massive CHARNZIE fan.

That’s awesome Dostix! Massive amount of work has gone into that! I hope CNK bags a few tries and your son ends up with his boots! Good effort mate!
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

I was shocked when I saw we have won 28 of 62 matches.... I thought it was more lopsided than that. Traditionally the roosters have always owned us, we must have dominated them in the real early years.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Photos GE with your Raiders gear on :roflmao
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

I've never seen snow...
Poor PJ :)
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

LastRaider wrote: August 6, 2019, 4:21 pm How this isn’t a Friday night game on free to air I don’t know. Definitely the game of the round with Storm v Rabbitohs
They had the Dogs vs Tigers live on Ch 9 in QLD. Usually no Saturday nights games on free to air.
I agree Raiders game should’ve been a Friday or Sunday at 4pm not 2pm 😞
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

Time to show the rest of the NRL we are no joke. The boys will be up today, especially for the captains 250th.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Thomas Raider wrote: August 10, 2019, 10:06 pm
I've never seen snow...
Poor PJ :)
It's been a sheltered life...

Anything on tv today ?

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Have been looking forward to this all week and I think we are going to get this done! Go raiders!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

dostix wrote:It had to be done.... this is my sons sign for tomorrows game. He is a massive CHARNZIE fan.

Awesome Image
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine