17%

Total votes: 12

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RedRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 12:23 am
This was the longest game since the 1969 Grand Final and for the same reasons. The Roosters players, often 30 to 40 meters from the action would go down 'hurt'. The refs would then stop the play. This killed all momentum in the game. The play the ball was atrocious from both sides but I would say the Chooks, who held down far more often and longer than the Raiders and no action was taken. Whatever happened to a couple of penalties for the hold down, warn the offending captain and then use the sin bin. Instead we were treated to WWE set after set.

We did not start the game with the aim of driving the Chooks backwards in tackles. Why the hell not? This should have been played like a finals trial and that is what we should have been doing. The Chooks stopped Jack very close to the line and that was great defence from them. I have to question the flat footed attack of the Raiders. Too often a player took the ball standing still. Then the player did not run straight. Far too much cross field wandering during this match. In the final 20 minutes we seemed to have put away the grubber kick to the ingoal. I simply don't know why. We had plenty of opportunity but just didn't execute it. I hope for better against Storm next week.
With you there on the way the game was officiated. I guess all you need to do is lie down when the momentum is going against you and the play will be stopped every time... not gonna get in to the holding down but I'm with you (and so was a Souths fan sitting behind me who didn't particularly care who won, just wanted to see a good game). It may have been smart of the Chooks to take advantage of silly refs but let's also not miss the fact that it was poor refereeing.

Also agree that we just weren't there in attack. It seemed like the communication wasn't there yesterday and things looked very disjointed at times. Some of that comes down to the opposition's defence but our decision making and execution was off, and our kicking game wasn't up to scratch... we barely put pressure on them in that field.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s concerning that we are in round 21 and our attack is still clunky. Who’s our attaching coaches?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RedRaider wrote:Tedesco's set up for the first try was brilliant also Twisted. JC raced up and in as he has done so often and Teddy got on his outside and simply burned him for pace. He looked infield and there was the support player who he gave the ball to for the TRY in no time at all. Offer anything other than a solid straight line in defence and he will get through. He is the best FB in the world and this game was simply a demonstration as to why. He was brilliant. As a fan of the game, I can only marvel at his pace and level of attacking skill. The one that got away.
JC just continues to do this, he will be targeted now coming into the finals.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

LastRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:58 am It’s concerning that we are in round 21 and our attack is still clunky. Who’s our attaching coaches?
I think the reason for the clunky attack could be partially due to us not having attacking coaches and not focusing so much on our offence this season... but also partially due to us being the last team of the top 4 to settle on a halves combo and well past the halfway mark of the season (also the problem of one of them being a very good player but more of a ball runner than a shot caller and the other being not very good)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:58 am It’s concerning that we are in round 21 and our attack is still clunky. Who’s our attaching coaches?
I think the reason for the clunky attack could be partially due to us not having attacking coaches and not focusing so much on our offence this season... but also partially due to us being the last team of the top 4 to settle on a halves combo and well past the halfway mark of the season (also the problem of one of them being a very good player but more of a ball runner than a shot caller and the other being not very good)
Your probably right, so we don’t actually have an offical attacking coach this year?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:11 am That first try was caused by a player racing up and producing the ineffective tackle, but Jack Wighton was the player to do it... at least first. The left edge was already short men, and then the decision inside Croker left that edge even more exposed.
Yes, that was a well executed play. We totally got done for numbers on that edge.

Croker has been criticised by many for causing that try, but he was left completely exposed and had no other option but to try and cut off the play IMO. It made him look bad, but under the circumstances it was the right play to make. We were completely shot on that edge well before Croker came in.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Some random thoughts:

* I actually did not think the game was particularly high quality. Too many mistakes from both sides, and the Roosters clearly had a spoiling game plan. The fact that Robinson went out of his way to play mind games before the match is testament to how far the Raiders have come.
* We should not be taking Papa and Tapine off at the same time. I mentioned this during the game - these two (and for the last couple of weeks, Soliola) are our primary sources of quick play the balls and offloads. They are international level forwards. Sutton, Horsburgh and Lui are all solid first graders but Tapine and Papa are a cut above and generate plenty of momentum and quick play the balls. If we don’t get that quick play the ball, Hodgson is way less effective. I would be starting Sutton and moving one of Papa/Tapine to the bench, but give them the full 60 minutes after coming on. In saying that - might be best to leave it the way it is for next week, given Melbourne’s starting front row is a cut above their bench.
* Leilua is that little bit of X factor that can allow us to compete with Melbourne and the Roosters. It is not just his work in the attacking 20, but also his work getting us out of our own end. I am a little worried about Rapana - he looks really tentative. I think he is carrying those ribs and possibly a knee injury. I don’t think it is a crazy idea to give him a week or two off going into the finals with Simonsson playing the way he is, though his injuries are probably such they they won’t benefit from a week or two off.
* I was really disappointed we conceded that Tupou try off the bomb. There was a stop in play, we had a long time to get ourselves organised and number up, it was clear they were going to kick to Tupou, and Cotric left Rapana totally isolated.
Last edited by TongueFTW on August 12, 2019, 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

LastRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:02 am
RedRaider wrote:Tedesco's set up for the first try was brilliant also Twisted. JC raced up and in as he has done so often and Teddy got on his outside and simply burned him for pace. He looked infield and there was the support player who he gave the ball to for the TRY in no time at all. Offer anything other than a solid straight line in defence and he will get through. He is the best FB in the world and this game was simply a demonstration as to why. He was brilliant. As a fan of the game, I can only marvel at his pace and level of attacking skill. The one that got away.
JC just continues to do this, he will be targeted now coming into the finals.
Yep - most players have some sort of inspiration or focus point written on their wrist strapping, poor old Croker seemed to think his defensive strategy was written on his socks - Missing!
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Makaveli wrote: August 11, 2019, 4:03 pm Cant win a competition without a half back unfortunately

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
we're doing our best to design a game plan around that. Our plan... strong defence, over playing hooker, and using ball players is pretty clever in the circumstances. Just need a bit of luck on the day.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

PigRickman wrote: August 11, 2019, 6:03 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: August 11, 2019, 5:40 pm Interesting that Vunivalu has been penalised for a mistimed contest vs Souths

Not the same situation as the Souths player didn't have the ball yet unlike CNK, but interesting
I think both calls were right
Both players have a right to the football

For CNK, Topou comes in to attack the ball, realises he's flat footed and has no leverage to out leap CNK who's coming in hot... he's entitled to stand his ground, he's not entitled to attack the player in the air and he didnt. CNK spills it, try time.

i've seen it argued here "Well, then that's what everyone should do, get under the ball and not contest!"
And that's fine, and 99/100 the fullback wont try and take a mark of the year speccy over the top of said player and wrap up and tackle. Which is what CNK should have done here. It was a classic "Theirs!" call imo. Let em have it, and tackle him immediately, if they want to try and throw it out the back or tap it around or whatever, ill take my chances there. Those rarely work that far out from the line, and we had bodies around.

Vunivalu leaps to attack the ball, is so god damn early that he lands before the ball even gets near the contest. He's taken the Rabbitohs player out off the ball. The Rabbitohs player was denied a fair crack at the footy, CNK wasnt, He got as clean a look as you could want, except he was trying to take it over the top of another player.
Still disagree. Look at it another way - if CNK catches that ball it is 100% definitely a penalty. Why not a penalty because he spills it?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think thats accurate at all, the referee had called it a fair contest, if CNK caught it, all evidence suggests the referee was going to call play on.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The roosters beat us by killing our momentum in attack and doing a fantastic job of it. They got up quick in defence and slowed down the ruck as much as they could get away with and it worked.

Our attack was fine against the warriors and panthers but it is based on getting quick play of the balls and building momentum and we were only able to do that in patches yesterday. The roosters did a much better job on us in getting up the field and we weren’t as quick off the line as we have been.

We had our chances and especially in the first half had a lot of good attacking field position but failed to come away with points. When the chooks has chances they took them and really that was the difference. Tedesco really is incredible and was the difference between the 2 teams in the end.

We can play better than that and while a win would have been great I’m with Ricky. I can see where this team is at. Genuine competitors for the title.

Will be interesting to see how we back it up next week against the storm. We are a good chance of the upset.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

PigRickman wrote:I dont think thats accurate at all, the referee had called it a fair contest, if CNK caught it, all evidence suggests the referee was going to call play on.
It was a common sense call but it is inconsistent with how contests have been refereed all season. How many times has a player who is jumping for the ball missed it and made contact with the defender in the air and been penalised? Every single time it has happened. He wasn’t contesting the ball and he took a player in the air. Doesn’t matter if he turned his back or pulled out of it, he still made contact and it should have been a penalty, just like it was in the very next game!

It’s a stupid interpretation but it has been pretty consistent all season.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

still annoyed not to come out with a win out of yesterday's game. I feel that Raiders forced Roosters to turn over the ball enough times (through strips, the charge down, loose passes etc.) to win that match. 58% possession and no injuries (until Crokers HIA at the end) and still didn't manage to get it done.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

PigRickman wrote:I dont think thats accurate at all, the referee had called it a fair contest, if CNK caught it, all evidence suggests the referee was going to call play on.
Yeah I agree, I had no issue with that try. If anything it was a bad miss from Cotric, trying to go high on Mitchell... legs legs legs!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I thoroughly enjoyed that game, every minute of it, it's great to see us go toe to toe with IMO the prohibitive favourites of the comp. I'm not even upset we lost, because we only need to beat the Roosters once this year, and yesterday wasn't the time we need to do it. A massive highlight of the game for me was John Bateman vs Latrell Mitchell, they were just at each other all game and probably share the points. Agree with what many others here are saying, James Tedesco was the difference, and he really is that damn good. In the era of guys like Greg Bird and Paul Gallen, people always used to accuse me of hating grubs like that solely because they play for NSW, however Tedesco is far more dominant against Queensland and the Raiders and I can't hate him... I, I just can't.

Now, onto the refereeing... I thought the refs had a relatively decent game, and if anything WE got the rub of the green, particularly with a few minutes to go where we had two clear looking knock-ons called play on. Shame we couldn't capitilise on them though. So naturally you'll completely imagine my surprise for me to log onto social media and seeing Raiders fans blow up deluxe about the refs. And the two biggest incidents, Whitehead's tackle and CNK being "taken out" in the air? The referees got them both 100% spot on. Whitehead hits the guy in the head, it doesn't matter that he's falling, that's been a rule for at least 20 years now, contact with the head is a penalty. It still blows my mind people still try to argue "but he was falling!" The onus is on the tackler to not make contact with the head, not the guy with the ball.

And the CNK thing? Tupou didn't tackle him in the air, and didn't even attempt to. That's clear cut, black and white, not even sure why anyone would think that's a penalty. I swear you guys have zero ability to watch a Raiders game with even the slightest ounce of objectivity. And before anyone accuses me of trying to go the opposite on refereeing decisions as some kind of moral crusade, that's simply not true. Trust me when I say I was watching that replay hoping for something, ANYTHING, that could be a penalty as it was a crucial moment in the game, but you simply couldn't call that one. And Raiders fans would be blowing up DELUXE if that one was reversed and went against us. That's not what the rule was brought it for.

On a final note, I hope Jarrod Croker pulls up ok after that head knock at the end of the game. Sad to see the usual suspects (one might even call them cowards) in here sinking the boot into the guy for a try that wasn't even remotely his fault. His inside man rushes in early out of the line and leaves Croker with no chance against Tedesco. It's a shame so-called Raiders fans can have so little respect for our captain and a bloke who's going to end up one of our all-time greats.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:11 am That first try was caused by a player racing up and producing the ineffective tackle, but Jack Wighton was the player to do it... at least first. The left edge was already short men, and then the decision inside Croker left that edge even more exposed.
GE, from my position in Section 55 I had a perfect view of it. JC came up and in when he did not need to. It allowed Teddy to get on his outside. If he holds his line it does not create the gap on the outside. He is a special player Teddy with abundant pace. Holding a straight line is essential in defending him. Having a staggered line is simply asking for trouble and he gave it to us.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 9:47 am James Tedesco was the difference, and he really is that damn good.
I can't agree with this part, I think they were far more composed than us. We needed better kicking and decision making in areas like fifth tackle options to build pressure but often failed to do so... rushing things and going side to side. Tedesco was good but we were off the mark in those areas, could have been (and have been) better. That was the difference in my eyes anyway.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:02 am
GE, from my position in Section 55 I had a perfect view of it. JC came up and in when he did not need to. It allowed Teddy to get on his outside. If he holds his line it does not create the gap on the outside. He is a special player Teddy with abundant pace. Holding a straight line is essential in defending him. Having a staggered line is simply asking for trouble and he gave it to us.
Might want to log onto NRL.com and look at that one again, Red. Jack Wighton 100% runs out of the line and leaves a massive hole. Croker has to follow him and then gets caught flat-footed in a one-on-one situation with Tedesco. He then tries to catch Tedesco but is beaten on the outside by pure speed.

If Croker doesn't come in to support his inside man for rushing up, Tedesco just burns him on the inside in the massive hole Jack left.

Check it out here... https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highl ... rs-936575/ Pause the video at the two second mark, you'll see what I'm talking about. No way that's on Croker.
Last edited by The Nickman on August 12, 2019, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's really remarkable that man who had a perfect view of it didnt notice Jack Wighton come rushing out at Cooper Cronk, forcing JC to come in on Mitch Aubusson, which is why Tedesco is able to get around Croker.

**** ITALL
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:06 am
The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 9:47 am James Tedesco was the difference, and he really is that damn good.
I can't agree with this part, I think they were far more composed than us. We needed better kicking and decision making in areas like fifth tackle options to build pressure but often failed to do so... rushing things and going side to side. Tedesco was good but we were off the mark in those areas, could have been (and have been) better. That was the difference in my eyes anyway.
Tedesco was the difference, if he's not there we win that game, I'm sure of it.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

i agree with pigrickman regarding the refs, they were fine and if anything favoured us.

The chooks had just a little bit more quality then us, but I think with Cotric going back to his natural side and BJ coming back in hopefully we have the extra try or to in us that might be enough to get us home.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:10 am
I'd agree with you on that but I think we had the better forward pack for example, both on paper (they're down a couple) and on the field. I don't think it's just because they've got a gun fullback that they were better, all those other factors I mentioned that need to come from our playmakers weren't up to their standard either.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

From my position in Bay 27, and watching the big screen, and now watching the replay, Jack comes up and in, takes Cronk (while there are already 3 Raiders players marking him/JWH/Keary) - Jack makes it 4. Cronk draws Jack beautifully, leaving JC no option but to slide in and follow - thats how structures work. If JC stays out, teddy goes inside.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:18 am
I'd agree with you on that but I think we had the better forward pack for example, both on paper (they're down a couple) and on the field. I don't think it's just because they've got a gun fullback that they were better, all those other factors I mentioned that need to come from our playmakers weren't up to their standard either.
So you agree with me that he was the difference and you disagree?? Riiiiiight
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:21 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:18 am
So you agree with me that he was the difference and you disagree?? Riiiiiight
Not at all... just agreeing with you that by removing Tedesco we probably would have won that, in the same way that if you removed say Wighton or Papalii or one of our more valuable players we probably would've struggled more
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So... Tedesco was the difference then?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I said earlier in the thread that Tedesco was the game breaker so have to agree with The Rickman on that score.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:30 am So... Tedesco was the difference then?
So it's the semi final Raiders vs Roosters - I wonder if Tedesco will be the difference on that day? I'm wondering which areas we need to lift, I know you're still confident we can win it this season. I just don't think it's a fair assessment to put it down to the fact that they've got Tedesco at fullback and we've only got Charnze.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:38 am
The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 10:30 am So... Tedesco was the difference then?
So it's the semi final Raiders vs Roosters - I wonder if Tedesco will be the difference on that day? I'm wondering which areas we need to lift, I know you're still confident we can win it this season. I just don't think it's a fair assessment to put it down to the fact that they've got Tedesco at fullback and we've only got Charnze.
I think you've completely missed my point about YESTERDAY'S GAME, so I'll leave it there.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

In close games it takes some brilliance to create points. Tedesco did it twice. That was the difference between the teams.

Have to disagree re CNK. Hi think it should be the right call but that isn’t how it has been called all season. Doesn’t matter that he wasn’t trying to make a tackle, he made contact with CNK and interferes with him catching the ball. It wasn’t the difference but that is how it has been called all season, including in the very next game.

One of our tries came from what looked to be a knock on so they cancel each other out IMO
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

A lot of people on here over the last few weeks have been blaming the inside man which is Wighton for Croker’s missed tackles and rushing out of the line so I’m going to put it out there is Jack Wighton the problem? Is Wighton turning into another Blake Austin in defence? Is Wighton a liability for this club moving forward with his defence?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’m so sick of the stripping rule. Ruins the flow of the game.

We’re pretty good at it, but at a crucial time yesterday we decided to spend an entire set trying to strip a ball and gave away about 60 metres when we should be looking to keep the Roosters in our half.

People argue about having more ball security... if there was a genuine issue with ball security, there’d be more errors in general play.

Throw 3 men in a tackle and 1 defenders job is to lock up the ball, then make a call for the others to peel out so he can put his entire weight behind a strip. That’s not a ball security issue, it’s obviously very difficult to keep control of it.

It’s just not Rugby League.

Further to that, both Ricky and Trent Robinson argued that it’s too complex for the refs and I totally agree.

Go back to the old rule and stop ruining Rugby League.

Basically the option for the game is offloads or more stripping - I’m choosing offloads everyday of the week.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The refs were ordinary against both teams. The main gripe I have is similar to others - the Roosters laid all over us in the ruck with no repercussions and any time we were gaining any sort of momentum one of their players was 'injured'.

This really annoyed me more after listening to Trent Robinson in the press conference talking about the stripping. Apparently we are exploiting a **** rule. Yet, in my opinion, the laying in the ruck and 'injured' players was 100% gamesmanship. And the refs were dumb enough to fall for it. We can be getting grabbed and held in the ruck all game and if you listen to the ref 99% of this is due to 'milking'. Compared to other teams we milk double or triple other sides which is ludicrous.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 9:31 am I dont think thats accurate at all, the referee had called it a fair contest, if CNK caught it, all evidence suggests the referee was going to call play on.
The referee said it was no try on the field. The referee on the field called that because he thought CNK had been taken out.. It was the bunker that cleared the CNK incident and overturned the referee on the field.