Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton re-sign to end 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton set to sign two year extensions

Post by BadnMean »

Happy to give Sutton another look next year.

Whitehead had moments he struggled but we saw glimpses of incredible hands, clever passes, the ability to ad lib with Leipana and the courage to just keep turning up for tackles when he was buggered. There was enough there to be sure there was a very good footballer in EW.

Sutton doesn't have the same range of talents. He's had some solid games vs good packs. Then at times he looks like a plodder with few yards and who isn't in the top category for mobility or impact in defence either. Might take him a year to figure it out. He might not be up to it. EW and JB were both stars in the England squad when recruited- Sutton has never played for England, so far as I am aware, so not in the same quality category.

Still worth a look next year.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

While Sutton might not have played for England, he was being talked about as a future England rep. He is only 24 years old and his best is ahead of him.
Considering he is probably coming at a reasonable price and will fit in well with our other English team mates, I am happy to give him 2 more years, in the expectation he will continue to develop into a top quality NRL forward and potentially an international.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I like the look of Sutton. Thought he was hitting form before his injury, looks to be slowly warming back into it. My only concern is he still has that error or two in his game, but hopefully he can get rid of those as he matures.

Definitely would extend.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

GreenMachine wrote: September 9, 2019, 11:39 am EW is a gun. All effort all the time. Sign him up!
I can see the 'green shoots' in Sutton, while I appreciate he hasn't had the instant impact as the other Poms, he needs another season IMO to be properly judged.
fair enough, imo judge him after that season even if it means paying a bit more.

A club like ours cant afford to get by with players not living up to their contracts on our books.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Whitehead and Sutton to remain Raiders

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Whitehead and Sutton to remain Raiders

Canberra Raiders English duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton have agreed to contract extensions with the club, that will see them remain as Raiders until the end of the 2022 season.

Both Whitehead and Sutton were signed until the end of 2020, however the club has extended each of their current deals for a further two seasons each.

Elliott Whitehead has been one of the Raiders most consistent performers since arriving at the club for the beginning of the 2016 season, with the English International establishing himself as one of the leaders of the Raiders forward pack.

Whitehead said he didn’t even consider looking for another club and said he always wanted to continue his career with the Green Machine.

“I’ve absolutely loved my time at the Raiders so far, so to extend for another two seasons is fantastic and I know we’re on the right path to achieving success,” Whitehead said. “I’ve seen this squad grow into something special over the past few seasons and I really wanted to make sure I stayed in Canberra and be a part of what we’re building. I didn’t want to go anywhere else.

“It’s great news to get the deal sorted and my focus is now on having a really strong finals series for the Raiders and hopefully helping the club win a competition.”

Ryan Sutton arrived at the Raiders at the beginning of this season from Wigan in the English Super League and has already established himself as a potential long term NRL player.

Sutton said he was happy with the way his game was progressing so far and said he still had plenty of improvement in him.

“I set my sights on coming out to Australia and getting my foot in the door with the Raiders and I’ve been lucky enough to play more games than I expected in my first year,” Sutton said.

“It’s my goal now to keep getting better and better each year of this contract and hopefully establishing myself as an NRL player for the rest of my career.”

“I really want to thank Ricky and the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity and I’m looking forward to becoming a better player in the future for the Raiders.”

Canberra Raiders media release

VIDEO: Whitehead and Sutton stoked to remain as Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... s-raiders/
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Whitehead and Sutton to remain Raiders

Post by Coastalraider »

This is fantastic news.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton sign two year extensions

Post by julian87 »

Good news on both counts. I’d expect Sutton is not on huge coin, he’s tough and is a pretty good fit in the middle while we still have Papalii, Hors and Tapine imo.

On Whitehead; you can make a case that he’s the most under rated player in the league imo. He has serious footy smarts and skill, sniffs out opportunities in attack and he’s a bloody brutal defender that hurts opposition players legally and within the spirit of the game. He’s been brilliant at both left and right second row, was good at lock and has filled in admirably in his time at both five eighth and centre. Love him as a player.

I wouldn’t swap our second row combination for any in the competition.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton sign two year extensions

Post by zim »

Great news.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton re-sign to end 2022

Post by Matt »

Great news.
Smelly is a proven stud edge player.
Sutton has come a long way, and still has room to improve. He will be on the fringe of international selection again this yr.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Whitehead is massively underrated. Watched him quite closely in a number of games this year and he does so many things that go unnoticed in addition to the moments of skill. Great re-signing. Wish he'd get the ball a bit more in space, they run too many plays to Croker down the left edge.

Sutton is a definite upgrade on the paulo/boyd non lateral movement era - defends very solidly in the middle. Hopefully he adds some strength into his frame over the off season because he is often dominated when hitting up the ball. To his credit though, even when he gets smashed he gets up every time with a decent paced play the ball. Enough promise to retain on an average $ contract.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Whitehead and Sutton will call Canberra home until 2022

Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton said they had no hesitation about outing pen to paper again to stay at Canberra for a further two seasons, extending their deals until the end of 2022.

"I didn't really want to go anywhere else, what the club's done for me in my career has been awesome so hopefully I can repay them over the next few years.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/11/why ... ntil-2022/

Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton sign new Canberra Raiders deals

It's hard to know what made Elliott Whitehead smile more on Wednesday: the arrival of his new scooter or a hard-earned contract extension.

Either way they tell the story of why the English international wants to stay in Canberra until at least the end of 2022.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Whitehead and Sutton stoked to remain as Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... s-raiders/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Top shelf news. Good to see Sutton knows he's got more improvement to come.