Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton re-sign to end 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton re-sign to end 2022

Post by greeneyed »

Cash splash: Canberra Raiders $3.5 million retention drive

Canberra is ready to start negotiations that would secure long term deals for John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton worth a combined $3.5 million. Wigan agent Andy Clark, who manages the trio, will arrive early next month to kick start contract extensions - that could vary from one to three years.

"Our aim would be to keep them here long term," Raiders CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://twitter.com/telegraph_sport/sta ... 7461410816

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ec994830ca
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Cash splash: Canberra Raiders $3.5 million retention drive

Post by Danaman137 »

One year for Sutton to keep him playing hard for his spot, 3 years for whitey and Bateman. Lock them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: August 6, 2019, 10:26 am One year for Sutton to keep him playing hard for his spot, 3 years for whitey and Bateman. Lock them up.

By the sounds of it, contract extension might be shorter for the older players... as the possibility for a last hurrah in Super League is factored in too by the players.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

greeneyed wrote:
Danaman137 wrote: August 6, 2019, 10:26 am One year for Sutton to keep him playing hard for his spot, 3 years for whitey and Bateman. Lock them up.

By the sounds of it, contract extension might be shorter for the older players... as the possibility for a last hurrah in Super League is factored in too by the players.
Whitey fair enough by Bateo is only 25/26? I’d be hoping we get him on a 3 year extension. Still plenty of time to go back to super league once he hits his 30s

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: August 6, 2019, 10:36 am
greeneyed wrote:

Whitey fair enough by Bateo is only 25/26? I’d be hoping we get him on a 3 year extension. Still plenty of time to go back to super league once he hits his 30s

Yep, longer for Bateman and Sutton I'd expect.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

How old is Whitehead?
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

woppadingo wrote: August 6, 2019, 11:35 am How old is Whitehead?
Turns 30 in 4 weeks. A 2 year extension on hi current deal would make him 33 at the end of the contract.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Northern Raider wrote: August 6, 2019, 1:30 pm
Turns 30 in 4 weeks. A 2 year extension on hi current deal would make him 33 at the end of the contract.
In that case Id be happy to extend him 2 years. Wouldnt be too concerned about him wanting to go home, what with all the brexit shenanigans going on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

woppadingo wrote: August 6, 2019, 1:40 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 6, 2019, 1:30 pm
In that case Id be happy to extend him 2 years. Wouldnt be too concerned about him wanting to go home, what with all the brexit shenanigans going on.
Yes, and with their a current political situation Australia would feel quite tame. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Like many, this sounds great to me
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

God i love Elliott Whitehead. Such a classy, brilliant footballer who probably doesnt get his due from the fan base (which is not to say the fan base doesnt like or rate him, just he doesnt get the love i think he deserves) or RL community wide

We've probably only got him for another year or two, before he heads back to the ESL to finish his career :(
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I hope we arn’t getting to far ahead of ourselves like 2016 and offering large upgrades with the cart Belford the horse
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

LastRaider wrote: August 6, 2019, 4:17 pm I hope we arn’t getting to far ahead of ourselves like 2016 and offering large upgrades with the cart Belford the horse
Just goes to prove that you don’t get a long window in this game. When we lost in 2016 we probably felt this squad would get another chance. Now three years later and a different squad before we get another crack.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

LastRaider wrote: August 6, 2019, 4:17 pm I hope we arn’t getting to far ahead of ourselves like 2016 and offering large upgrades with the cart Belford the horse
Agree but Whitehead has proven himself over 4 years so not too much risk there.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Have we all missed the part about Sam Williams re-signing? Sezer has to be already gone then
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Peter wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:16 pm Have we all missed the part about Sam Williams re-signing? Sezer has to be already gone then
Has he signed? I know they wanted to keep him and L Bateman but I haven't seen an official re-signing.
Regardless I agree Sezer is off for 2020.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: August 6, 2019, 9:46 pm
Peter wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:16 pm Have we all missed the part about Sam Williams re-signing? Sezer has to be already gone then
Has he signed? I know they wanted to keep him and L Bateman but I haven't seen an official re-signing.
No, they have not re-signed Sam Williams or Luke Bateman yet. But the Raiders intend to.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Elliot has 2 or 3 years in those legs then that's what we offer.

I don't want him back playing a SL swan song...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Elliott wants 2 years, option in his favor

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Well..

Let's do that !!
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 9:47 pm
zim wrote: August 6, 2019, 9:46 pm
No, they have not re-signed Sam Williams or Luke Bateman yet. But the Raiders intend to.
I think they were talking about George Williams signing next year.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

PigRickman wrote: August 6, 2019, 3:50 pm God i love Elliott Whitehead. Such a classy, brilliant footballer who probably doesnt get his due from the fan base (which is not to say the fan base doesnt like or rate him, just he doesnt get the love i think he deserves) or RL community wide

We've probably only got him for another year or two, before he heads back to the ESL to finish his career :(
One year enough for Elliot. Love him, but will age quickly I reckon. Small body doing all the hard stuff.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He’s a big bloke- 6’2 easy and over 100kg. He’s hard as nails and prepares well, never lets himself go even in off season- a couple of years left easy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boomercm wrote: August 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 6, 2019, 3:50 pm God i love Elliott Whitehead. Such a classy, brilliant footballer who probably doesnt get his due from the fan base (which is not to say the fan base doesnt like or rate him, just he doesnt get the love i think he deserves) or RL community wide

One year enough for Elliot. Love him, but will age quickly I reckon. Small body doing all the hard stuff.
Can't agree. Guys like him, who rely as heavily on their skill and footy IQ usually age much better than you'd expect
Whitehead isnt a dominant edge because he's an athletic stud who breaks tackles. He's good because he's just smarter and more skilful than most.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Totally agree with a few posts here. Whitehead has one of the best league IQs going around, and a lot of it is unappreciated from average joe's

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: August 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Can't agree. Guys like him, who rely as heavily on their skill and footy IQ usually age much better than you'd expect
Whitehead isnt a dominant edge because he's an athletic stud who breaks tackles. He's good because he's just smarter and more skilful than most.
Yeah agreed. 30 this year but could easily go another 2 years in the NRL and even 3 wouldn't be a stretch. Can't agree with comments about his body not holding up either. He's a similar build to Luke Lewis who played second row well in to his 30s... and even if Whitehead did lose a step on the edge you could always move him to lock and he would be effective.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Spot on. I thought he'd be keen to head back home earlier but 2 years would be great. I'd be happy with any period but I'm pretty biased.
Some people forget but we had Jarrad Kennedy as our 2nd rower before Elliot came in. Let that sink in. We've come a long way.
Hudson Young should be soaking up everything he can from Bateman and Whitehead before it's his time to step up.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

zim wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:09 am

Spot on. I thought he'd be keen to head back home earlier but 2 years would be great. I'd be happy with any period but I'm pretty biased.
Some people forget but we had Jarrad Kennedy as our 2nd rower before Elliot came in. Let that sink in. We've come a long way.
Hudson Young should be soaking up everything he can from Bateman and Whitehead before it's his time to step up.
Agree with most of this. And perhaps body failing him comment will be proved incorrect. I have a huge wrap on him and I am grateful for his contribution and talent. But the best clubs also have great talent coming through. I suspect a powerful club would find a great opportunity for someone like Elliot and let them move on a year too early rather than a year too late.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I would definitely sign EW for a 2 year extension. He plays with pride and passion every week. I am not a fan of longer term contracts. We have been bitten by the likes of Bronson Harrison and Shannon Boyd who put the cue in the rack. From a roster management/salary cap point of view, 2-3 years always seems about right to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders move to lock in English duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders move to lock in English duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton

The Raiders have opened talks to lock in Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton before they come off contract. But the Raiders are yet to talk about upgrading or extending John Bateman, who Clarke also manages.

"We haven't talked about the term yet, but we'd like to lock them in for a couple more that's for sure," Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Canberra Raiders move to lock in English duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton

Post by Dusty »

2 years for Elliot is a good timeframe.
I’d like Sutton to get 2-3

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Elliott is my favourite player, lock him in
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: September 6, 2019, 7:24 pm Elliott is my favourite player, lock him in
Well you should add him to your profile>>>under Mr Miyagi..
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 6, 2019, 7:24 pm Elliott is my favourite player, lock him in
Well you should add him to your profile>>>under Mr Miyagi..
no
Edrick The Entertainer