Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

OLDSCHOOL
Gerry De La Cruz
Posts: 13
Joined: August 28, 2011, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by OLDSCHOOL » August 3, 2019, 6:01 pm

Yes I know I am going to get crap put on me but has anyone else noticed that since John has come back from the fractured eye socket he seems to have lost the mongrel in defence.
I have heard Ricky had to pull him aside and tell him that if he kept the mongrel up he would be doing some time on the sideline suspended and that he was putting too much energy into the mongrel and tiring himself out too early so you need to back off a bit.
Personally I would prefer the mongrel back.
What do you think ?

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23303
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by Northern Raider » August 3, 2019, 6:02 pm

Can't say I've noticed
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Raider Azz
Jason Croker
Posts: 4057
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by Raider Azz » August 3, 2019, 6:02 pm


OLDSCHOOL wrote:Yes I know I am going to get crap put on me
That's probably where you should have stopped.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


User avatar
I'm Bate Man
Jason Croker
Posts: 4054
Joined: March 9, 2008, 8:22 pm
Favourite Player: Hodgson
Location: Sylvania

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by I'm Bate Man » August 3, 2019, 6:04 pm

He’s last two games have been arguably he’s best two in green, if he has been told to rain it in it’s paying dividends.

Either way, he wouldn’t be the first player to come back from a face fracture and not come back as aggressive.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.

User avatar
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2149
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by Coastalraider » August 3, 2019, 6:15 pm

To be fair that approach worked for Tarpine. He was a bit wild and prone to a blow up early in. Harnessing the aggression took his game to a new level.

Given Bateman has played some of his best footy since the injury, it may have been a benefit to him as well.

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3046
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by Billy Walker » August 3, 2019, 6:16 pm

I haven’t noticed and I’m very happy with how he’s travelling. If anything perhaps he’s dropped the niggle a bit. I haven’t noticed the head slaps, ball throws etc as much but that’s not a bad thing. He’s a champion who is only getting better!

Also, while I don’t agree he has lost his mongrel in any way, I don’t think you should get slammed for asking the question.

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3332
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by raiderskater » August 3, 2019, 6:23 pm

Not only do I think you've read everything completely wrong -

- if he has, so what? He's infinitely more useful to us on the field than suspended right now. ESPECIALLY right now.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7131
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by Sid » August 3, 2019, 6:28 pm

Lol
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127295
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by greeneyed » August 3, 2019, 6:47 pm

No. And he's doing just fine.
Image

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3839
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by BJ » August 3, 2019, 7:00 pm

The best players in the game for many years have been the ones who can control their aggression.

User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6648
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Azza » August 3, 2019, 7:04 pm

No. End of thread.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30553
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by -TW- » August 3, 2019, 7:23 pm

Nope

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21875
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Seiffert82 » August 3, 2019, 7:35 pm

Thread of the year.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18038
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by -PJ- » August 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

Yes.
Let's release him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13051
Joined: February 25, 2008, 3:02 pm
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Begbie » August 3, 2019, 7:54 pm

He's maintained his brilliance upon his return, if not slightly improved. You probably have not noticed of late, as you've come to expect it.

MrPosh
Sam Backo
Posts: 180
Joined: June 24, 2016, 5:39 am
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by MrPosh » August 3, 2019, 7:58 pm

I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.

User avatar
I'm Bate Man
Jason Croker
Posts: 4054
Joined: March 9, 2008, 8:22 pm
Favourite Player: Hodgson
Location: Sylvania

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by I'm Bate Man » August 3, 2019, 8:12 pm

MrPosh wrote:I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
It won’t happen, one punch your gone in the NRL. I’m sure he’s not that stupid.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18038
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by -PJ- » August 3, 2019, 8:16 pm

I'm Bate Man wrote:
August 3, 2019, 8:12 pm
MrPosh wrote:I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
It won’t happen, one punch your gone in the NRL. I’m sure he’s not that stupid.
We never want JBateman to miss games through suspension.

But...it is Will Chambers were talking about here..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3046
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Billy Walker » August 3, 2019, 8:43 pm

-PJ- wrote:
August 3, 2019, 8:16 pm
I'm Bate Man wrote:
August 3, 2019, 8:12 pm
MrPosh wrote:I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
It won’t happen, one punch your gone in the NRL. I’m sure he’s not that stupid.
We never want JBateman to miss games through suspension.

But...it is Will Chambers were talking about here..
I’m happy for him to miss the first six weeks of next year as long as he waits till the 2019 GF is wrapped up and in the bag and he puts on a show for the ages 🤣🤣

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2836
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by BadnMean » August 3, 2019, 8:55 pm

MrPosh wrote:
August 3, 2019, 7:58 pm
I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
Wow.
I've only thought that on edge sometimes you can be less involved if the game just naturally goes the other way- whereas if he's in the middle he can just stick his nose into everything.

What else do you think is coming in that last 20% Mr Posh. He's playing his socks off!

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127295
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by greeneyed » August 3, 2019, 9:01 pm

MrPosh wrote:
August 3, 2019, 7:58 pm
I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
Issac Luke didn't play. He was suspended.

It is difficult to imagine him 20 per cent better. I rated him a rare 9 last week.
Image

User avatar
GreenMachine
Simon Woolford
Posts: 465
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by GreenMachine » August 3, 2019, 9:07 pm

I'm Bate Man wrote:
August 3, 2019, 6:04 pm
He’s last two games have been arguably he’s best two in green, if he has been told to rain it in it’s paying dividends.

Either way, he wouldn’t be the first player to come back from a face fracture and not come back as aggressive.
Agree!
I’d take his last two performances over every other game he’s played this season.

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25904
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Botman » August 3, 2019, 9:27 pm

TROLLOLOLOLOL
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10058
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by gangrenous » August 3, 2019, 9:29 pm

greeneyed wrote: It is difficult to imagine him 20 per cent better. I rated him a rare 9 last week.
When he wins us the GF you remember to give him a 10.8 Image

User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 15828
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by T_R » August 3, 2019, 10:00 pm

If there's 20% more in Bateman, then they'd better start clearing a space in the hall of fame.
Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25904
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Botman » August 3, 2019, 10:34 pm

T_R wrote:
August 3, 2019, 10:00 pm
If there's 20% more in Bateman, then they'd better start clearing a space in the hall of fame.
Facts.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8221
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Woodgers » August 3, 2019, 10:42 pm

Favourite player.

If Ricky told him to reduce the chance of giving away stupid penalties with over the top aggression then he's doing his job. I suspect Ricky has told him nothing.

I remember at the start of the year when we signed him I thought to myself why on earth would we sign a backrower, absolute waste. I am swimming in an egg bath right now. He's added a ridiculous amount.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

EJ
David Furner
Posts: 3617
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by EJ » August 4, 2019, 12:00 am

Woodgers wrote:
August 3, 2019, 10:42 pm
Favourite player.

If Ricky told him to reduce the chance of giving away stupid penalties with over the top aggression then he's doing his job. I suspect Ricky has told him nothing.

I remember at the start of the year when we signed him I thought to myself why on earth would we sign a backrower, absolute waste. I am swimming in an egg bath right now. He's added a ridiculous amount.
I also thought for years when watching him play for England that he wouldn't be great in the NRL as he was too slow to be a back and too small to be a forward.

Quite happy to be very, very wrong.

MrPosh
Sam Backo
Posts: 180
Joined: June 24, 2016, 5:39 am
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by MrPosh » August 4, 2019, 2:22 am

greeneyed wrote:
August 3, 2019, 9:01 pm
MrPosh wrote:
August 3, 2019, 7:58 pm
I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
Issac Luke didn't play. He was suspended.

It is difficult to imagine him 20 per cent better. I rated him a rare 9 last week.
Yeah, I followed the game on here, as I'm on holiday at the moment.

I just had a feeling he might have gone looking for Luke if he'd played.

I did see the Panthers game, though, and he was excellent. I have seen him play much better, though. It may be the greater structure that the NRL offers, but I see him being able to get involved more than he is at the moment.

User avatar
Mickey_Raider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2017
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Canberra

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Mickey_Raider » August 4, 2019, 3:02 am

He is my favourite player.

Aside from the clear tangible elements of being a quality player and enforcer, he also possesses the intangible factors which make him so likeable.

He is a winner, his competitiveness shines through and his rapport with the fans conveys further his passion.

In response to the original post in the thread, no idea what you’re on about fella.
Canberra Raiders: Est. 1982 .... 89,90,94

RAIDERS TILL I DIE!

OLDSCHOOL
Gerry De La Cruz
Posts: 13
Joined: August 28, 2011, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by OLDSCHOOL » August 4, 2019, 7:40 am

Thanks Billy Walker for your reply and support.
I am only asking as a discussion point !
To me JB is the one of the best signings the Raiders have ever made and I am totally in support of the smaller more mobile player instead of the big fellas who can only play 20 on and 40 off.
My reference to the mongrel part is the niggling in the tackle as Billy Walker mentions.
To me he was giving a few facials while they were on the ground.
Bring back the biff !
As for general play he is a gun !

TongueFTW
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 536
Joined: August 3, 2008, 10:40 am

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by TongueFTW » August 4, 2019, 8:01 am

The last set of the game, 40-12 up - he is angry at CNK for a slow play the ball, slapping his back and telling him to get up. What a competitor.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127295
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by greeneyed » August 4, 2019, 8:03 am

OLDSCHOOL wrote:
August 4, 2019, 7:40 am
Thanks Billy Walker for your reply and support.
I am only asking as a discussion point !
To me JB is the one of the best signings the Raiders have ever made and I am totally in support of the smaller more mobile player instead of the big fellas who can only play 20 on and 40 off.
My reference to the mongrel part is the niggling in the tackle as Billy Walker mentions.
To me he was giving a few facials while they were on the ground.
Bring back the biff !
As for general play he is a gun !
No, leave the facials out. Not needed in 2019.
Image

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3046
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Billy Walker » August 4, 2019, 8:14 am

greeneyed wrote:
August 4, 2019, 8:03 am
OLDSCHOOL wrote:
August 4, 2019, 7:40 am
Thanks Billy Walker for your reply and support.
I am only asking as a discussion point !
To me JB is the one of the best signings the Raiders have ever made and I am totally in support of the smaller more mobile player instead of the big fellas who can only play 20 on and 40 off.
My reference to the mongrel part is the niggling in the tackle as Billy Walker mentions.
To me he was giving a few facials while they were on the ground.
Bring back the biff !
As for general play he is a gun !
No, leave the facials out. Not needed in 2019.
Yep - he doesn’t need it in his game. Just focus on doing what he’s doing.

User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7131
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by Sid » August 4, 2019, 8:22 am

To be fair to OP I am always shouting out “Hey Bateman! Show us your mongrel!!”
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

Post Reply