Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Sunday 11 August 2:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:45am
NRL Touch Semi Finals: 12:00 noon
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Raiders produced a great win over the New Zealand Warriors after a short turnaround in Auckland. Now they host the 2018 premiers, the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium. Who should line up for the Green Machine? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton

18. Sam Williams
19. Joey Leilua
20. Emre Guler
21. Michael Oldfield

Injury/Suspension
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk (c)
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Sam Verrills
10. Isaac Liu
11. Angus Crichton
12. Mitchell Aubusson
13. Victor Radley

14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Poasa Faamausili
17. Sitili Tupouniua

18. Lindsay Collins
19. Drew Hutchison
20. Matt Ikuvalu
21. Lachlan Lam

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, Chris Sutton
Sideline Officials: Belinda Sharpe, Phil Henderson
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersRoosters

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by zim »

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalli
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Hudson Young
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Maybe Hodgson should start on on the bench with Havilii starting?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:10 pm 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalli
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Hudson Young
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui
That is exactly the side I would pick. Unlucky for Oldfield but Cotric gets the nod. Havilli has done nothing wrong but those four off the bench offer a lot more given we get 80 mins out of Hodgo. I suspect you will get screamed down for suggesting leaving Havilli out but that’s the exact team I’d name for what it’s worth.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:34 pm Maybe Hodgson should start on on the bench with Havilii starting?
If we wanna rest Hodgo don't play him at all and give the job to Havili / Starling for that week. Otherwise he starts for me every week.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Maybe Hodgson should start on on the bench with Havilii starting?
Why?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Billy Walker wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:39 pm
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalli
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Hudson Young
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui
That is exactly the side I would pick. Unlucky for Oldfield but Cotric gets the nod. Havilli has done nothing wrong but those four off the bench offer a lot more given we get 80 mins out of Hodgo. I suspect you will get screamed down for suggesting leaving Havilli out but that’s the exact team I’d name for what it’s worth.
We slightly differ in that I think Havili has done "something" wrong. Not to the point he "deserves" to be dropped but we are picking the best side here for the top teams.
I think he might be the only player this year that hasn't gotten better in defense.
If Hodgo does go down Bateman can fill in (with Young at second row) and we only drop that game (maybe). If it's a serious injury then Havili has just spent a couple of weeks at Mounties punching out 60mins at hooker.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:57 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:39 pm
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalli
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Hudson Young
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui
We slightly differ in that I think Havili has done "something" wrong. Not to the point he "deserves" to be dropped but we are picking the best side here for the top teams.
I think he might be the only player this year that hasn't gotten better in defense.
If Hodgo does go down Bateman can fill in (with Young at second row) and we only drop that game (maybe). If it's a serious injury then Havili has just spent a couple of weeks at Mounties punching out 60mins at hooker.
Spot on. How do we expect Havilli to turn out 80 minutes at dummy half at a finals intensity when we play him 20 in the middle. Give him big minutes in the Mounties- stack our bench with the guys you’ve suggested and give them all good minutes to manage the workload on Papa, and others. It just makes sense.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Include Nic Cotric and leave it at that. We have tried to convert back rowers into hooker before - remember the Tongue experiment. Leave Bateman to do what Bateman does best which is to be a top level back rower. Havili is going just fine at bench backrow/hooker. We have a heap of 'long minute' players in our pack. We have a player who can play hooker at FG level and is a genuine back up for Hodgo. We have just come off two of our best performances of the season and they were only 5 days apart.

Other than for Nic Cotric I would not change the side. Young has had one game back for Mounties and Sutton, as far as I know, is still injured. Sutton would come back through Mounties for match fitness for mine given that the side is performing well. We get a 9 day turn around for the Chooks game. It should be a cracker.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ok, this is going to be an interesting few weeks. We play 3 of the best teams in the comp, and you can bet at one of them will win the comp.

It's almost the finals before the finals.

The shark's are somewhat a bogey side for us as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, to see how we measure up against the big clubs.

Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: August 3, 2019, 7:18 am Include Nic Cotric and leave it at that. We have tried to convert back rowers into hooker before - remember the Tongue experiment. Leave Bateman to do what Bateman does best which is to be a top level back rower. Havili is going just fine at bench backrow/hooker. We have a heap of 'long minute' players in our pack. We have a player who can play hooker at FG level and is a genuine back up for Hodgo. We have just come off two of our best performances of the season and they were only 5 days apart.

Other than for Nic Cotric I would not change the side. Young has had one game back for Mounties and Sutton, as far as I know, is still injured. Sutton would come back through Mounties for match fitness for mine given that the side is performing well. We get a 9 day turn around for the Chooks game. It should be a cracker.
Red i don’t think anyone is suggesting we change a back rower to a hooker as part of any week to week tactical game plan. It’s more about acknowledging that Hodgo knocks out a solid 80 mins at dummy half week in and week out and doesn’t need a bench back up. It would only be in the horror scenario that the tough little bugger got injured that you would get Bateman or someone to slot in to dummy half to complete that game. If Hodgo is ever out Havilli starts no doubt- he is excellent back up!

I think Zim’s point is a good one, if Hodgo is out it is a big ask for us to expect big minutes out of Havilli given the minimal time we have been running him lately. I think there is a lot of merit in giving him 60+ minutes for the next few weeks in Mounties to he is more match fit if Hodgo did fall over ahead of finals.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: August 3, 2019, 7:35 am Ok, this is going to be an interesting few weeks. We play 3 of the best teams in the comp, and you can bet at one of them will win the comp.

It's almost the finals before the finals.

The shark's are somewhat a bogey side for us as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, to see how we measure up against the big clubs.

Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You’re not wrong Dubby - it’s going to be quite a ride. I feel like we will measure up very well. Probably need to be a little careful we don’t play our finals series too early. No point putting everything into winning the next 5 and going into finals a spent force. I think player management will be key. Apart from the fantastic result last night it was great we could afford to coast in the second half. Don’t need too many high intensity 80 minute ball breakers over the coming months.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Whoever plays the “Havili role” off the bench will get around 20 minutes a game. How much better will it be to have someone like Young in that role given you lose the injury cover Havili provides? I don’t think the benefit is worth the risk.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Not picking Havili in the 17 when we already have 3 other running forwards on the bench is for some reason a constant suggestion on this site and tbf it’s a ridiculous one.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

There's players in the squad that provide better defence and he's been literally playing as a 4th running forward everytime Hodgo is there.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Crokers 250th.

Big ocassion, the boys will be up..

I wouldn't be surprised if the pundits have us starting as favs..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Sid »

Not that I’m expecting Leilua back this week, but with a fully fit side I wonder if Raiders will go back to carrying Havilii, Simmonsen and 2 forwards on the bench like they tried the last time Raiders played Roosters. With no injuries Simmonsen could be bought on to play a Papenhuyzen style of role (different players I know)

I haven’t watched closely to see where Papenhuyzen defends etc.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

zim wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:49 am There's players in the squad that provide better defence and he's been literally playing as a 4th running forward everytime Hodgo is there.
All the more reason to keep him. You don’t even need a 4th running forward when both second rowers play 80. Sacrificing the hooker coverage for someone who is slightly better as a running forward is absolute madness imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

TongueFTW wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:35 am Whoever plays the “Havili role” off the bench will get around 20 minutes a game. How much better will it be to have someone like Young in that role given you lose the injury cover Havili provides? I don’t think the benefit is worth the risk.
Why is that? Serious question. With a tough run ahead of finals we need to manage our players. Why can’t all 4 bench forwards get some serious equal minutes over the coming weeks to ease the workload on Papa and a few others.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:41 am Not picking Havili in the 17 when we already have 3 other running forwards on the bench is for some reason a constant suggestion on this site and tbf it’s a ridiculous one.
I wouldn’t be shocked to see it happen over the coming weeks.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Billy Walker wrote: August 3, 2019, 9:58 am
TongueFTW wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:35 am Whoever plays the “Havili role” off the bench will get around 20 minutes a game. How much better will it be to have someone like Young in that role given you lose the injury cover Havili provides? I don’t think the benefit is worth the risk.
Why is that? Serious question. With a tough run ahead of finals we need to manage our players. Why can’t all 4 bench forwards get some serious equal minutes over the coming weeks to ease the workload on Papa and a few others.
It is not needed when you have two 80 minute second rowers. You will have 7 players to split 240 minutes of game time, with a few of the middles (Papa, Tapine, Sutton) capable of playing big minutes. You will get a slightly better middle forward for 20 or so minutes and lose a lot with injury cover. The downside far outweighs the upside, and it is not even close.

If we want to manage the workload, you can the third prop in the rotation more minutes in the middle.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

TongueFTW wrote: August 3, 2019, 10:11 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 3, 2019, 9:58 am
It is not needed when you have two 80 minute second rowers. You will have 7 players to split 240 minutes of game time, with a few of the middles (Papa, Tapine, Sutton) capable of playing big minutes. You will get a slightly better middle forward for 20 or so minutes and lose a lot with injury cover. The downside far outweighs the upside, and it is not even close.

If we want to manage the workload, you can the third prop in the rotation more minutes in the middle.
Makes sense- cheers
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think it's great we're playing so many big teams on the run home. We need to embrace that and take the opportunity to step up and develop confidence we can actually beat these teams come the finals. While I don't expect us to win every game I'm feeling confident we're going to come out of this period even better than we were before we came into it. Exciting
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: August 3, 2019, 7:37 am
RedRaider wrote: August 3, 2019, 7:18 am Include Nic Cotric and leave it at that. We have tried to convert back rowers into hooker before - remember the Tongue experiment. Leave Bateman to do what Bateman does best which is to be a top level back rower. Havili is going just fine at bench backrow/hooker. We have a heap of 'long minute' players in our pack. We have a player who can play hooker at FG level and is a genuine back up for Hodgo. We have just come off two of our best performances of the season and they were only 5 days apart.

Red i don’t think anyone is suggesting we change a back rower to a hooker as part of any week to week tactical game plan. It’s more about acknowledging that Hodgo knocks out a solid 80 mins at dummy half week in and week out and doesn’t need a bench back up. It would only be in the horror scenario that the tough little bugger got injured that you would get Bateman or someone to slot in to dummy half to complete that game. If Hodgo is ever out Havilli starts no doubt- he is excellent back up!

I think Zim’s point is a good one, if Hodgo is out it is a big ask for us to expect big minutes out of Havilli given the minimal time we have been running him lately. I think there is a lot of merit in giving him 60+ minutes for the next few weeks in Mounties to he is more match fit if Hodgo did fall over ahead of finals.
I wouldn't be dropping players at the back end of the season due to fitness concerns. Like last year when Hodgo was injured, the longer he plays the better he goes. Adrenalin works for him.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I genuinely don’t think Ricky and his team have gotten too many calls wrong this year. I’ll back whatever they go with.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Azza wrote: August 3, 2019, 11:01 am I think it's great we're playing so many big teams on the run home. We need to embrace that and take the opportunity to step up and develop confidence we can actually beat these teams come the finals. While I don't expect us to win every game I'm feeling confident we're going to come out of this period even better than we were before we came into it. Exciting
Correct. Far better than having a soft run in. We'll be well and truly battle hardened by the time the semis roll round.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This really is what it is all about ladies and gents.

The green machine is humming, big heavyweight clash against the roosters at home in front of a presumably bumper crowd on a Sunday arvo. We are entering the home stretch and it’s all about timing our run for our premiership tilt.

This is what we’re here for, and it’s exciting af.
Up The Milk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: August 3, 2019, 9:58 am
zim wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:49 am There's players in the squad that provide better defence and he's been literally playing as a 4th running forward everytime Hodgo is there.
All the more reason to keep him. You don’t even need a 4th running forward when both second rowers play 80. Sacrificing the hooker coverage for someone who is slightly better as a running forward is absolute madness imo.
You're covering for something that very likely won't happen vs tangible gains. That is just silly. This isn't a sudden death final or an origin where that 1/1000 chance of hodgo going down in the first 20mins is going to mean we are finished for the year.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: August 3, 2019, 9:16 am Crokers 250th.

Big ocassion, the boys will be up..

I wouldn't be surprised if the pundits have us starting as favs..
Seems like we have a milestone every week!
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

zim wrote: August 3, 2019, 2:12 pm
julian87 wrote: August 3, 2019, 9:58 am
You're covering for something that very likely won't happen vs tangible gains. That is just silly. This isn't a sudden death final or an origin where that 1/1000 chance of hodgo going down in the first 20mins is going to mean we are finished for the year.
I’m with Julian on this. I also don’t think Young is as good (yet) as this conversation implies. Havili has created tries and/or try opportunities in both of the last two games from offloads, is a genuine try threat himself and consistently gets post-contact metres. Havili deserves to hold his spot and the benefit of his positional flexibility is a big bonus.

Young can battle it out for the remaining three spots with the other youngsters. He’ll take Guler’s spot some time soon.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Havili stays at 14. Young or Sutton come onto the bench for Guler.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

This feels extraordinarily similar to 2016 when we hit the back end of the season and came up against the two comp front runners the Sharks and the Storm in consecutive weeks. Our team is playing a different style of football however.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Azza wrote: August 3, 2019, 3:57 pm This feels extraordinarily similar to 2016 when we hit the back end of the season and came up against the two comp front runners the Sharks and the Storm in consecutive weeks. Our team is playing a different style of football however.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling that way.

Let's hope our next two weeks turn out like those two weeks.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Look I'm not going to get into a twist if we don't win both games. I want to - but I'd be pleased with 1 out of the 2. If we are going to lose, I'd rather get the losses out of the way now than later in the season :D
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Manly remain hot on the heels for a top 4 berth. The games against Roosters and Sea Eagles in particular are crucial
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine