No votes
Warriors 13+
No votes

Total votes: 16

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 20 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by gangrenous »

reptar wrote:My mum had a chat to Emre Guler and Jack Wighton this morning, they were in queue at Sydney Airport immigration checkpoint behind her. Jack was very excited about how they're going. I didn't ask if she asked if he got paid.
Why would you? Jack always gets paid!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:
reptar wrote:My mum had a chat to Emre Guler and Jack Wighton this morning, they were in queue at Sydney Airport immigration checkpoint behind her. Jack was very excited about how they're going. I didn't ask if she asked if he got paid.
Why would you? Jack always gets paid!
Haha. Touchè!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nah, you're spot on mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: July 29, 2019, 3:27 pm I can see Tapine starring this week.

Give him more minutes than he has been getting.

I reckon Jack is due for a big game too.
Yeah, Tapine been very under used past few weeks. This would be the ideal game to step up his workload.

Wighton been more subdued but playing OK. Might be intentionally playing within himself. Maybe be partly a bit of post Origin recovery and not wanting a repeat of Darwin. It's worked out well as we've seen Sezer and Hodgo step it up a notch. Overall we're looking much more balanced through the spine lately.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Tapine is on my radar a bit if im honest.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Why's that Pig ?

Is it because he's been quiet ?

Real quiet, like a church mouse ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Lets just hope we dont end up being complacent in this one. Warriors are duds and if we have an attitude of us simply having to show up to win then it will backfire on us.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

God help the refs if the Warriors lose the penalty count..

I'm sure we'll all see the most disciplined Warriors side since 1995.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This game has everything against the Raiders. Going to need to bury them to get out of this one...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2019, 7:14 pm Why's that Pig ?

Not quite ready to say we should try and move him on, and there is mitigating circumstances around his form... but ultimately we're looking at paying international frieght for a bench player. If stuart insists on Bateman in the back row, then do we really want to be paying top dollar for a guy who's a OK middle, and very good edge but cant play in front of Whitehead and Bateman?

I dunno, a lot to consider. I think if he's going to make a fist of the middle, he's probably got to get a little bigger. But i'd LOVE to see Bateman play 13 and Tapine move out to the edge and Sutton move into the front row rotation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

This will be interesting as to how refs approach this. Sure, we'd all like to hope they adjudicate the game as per normal. The Warriors copped some tough calls v Parra, all refs from that game have been dumped.

The crowd are bringing their whistles, they'll boo every time the Raiders get a penalty..all day...

We just need yo do our thing..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

PigRickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 8:21 pm

Not quite ready to say we should try and move him on, and there is mitigating circumstances around his form... but ultimately we're looking at paying international frieght for a bench player. If stuart insists on Bateman in the back row, then do we really want to be paying top dollar for a guy who's a OK middle, and very good edge but cant play in front of Whitehead and Bateman?

I dunno, a lot to consider. I think if he's going to make a fist of the middle, he's probably got to get a little bigger. But i'd LOVE to see Bateman play 13 and Tapine move out to the edge and Sutton move into the front row rotation.
There's a lot of us on here who want too see Bateman play #13 and Tapine play #11. It suits both their styles of play better and would also benefit the team..especially Bateman. He wants to get in the scrap and get dirty.

Tapine is a class player no doubt, injury has robbed him of showing us this class on a regular basis.
He needs more minutes. But I understand your comment about Tapine/worth ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's easy being lime green for Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is excited about going back to New Zealand this week, but he's not planning on moving back there any time soon.

"I'd really like to stay here and hopefully they see me here long-term and we can get something sorted. I love Canberra. I've loved it since day dot and the journey I've been on has been amazing and I want to keep doing it with these boys."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 8:21 pm

I agree. Was thinking about Tapine during the game and we’re not getting as much as we should be out of him. Doesn’t look suited to the middle. Maybe in time.

I have to give Dunamis Lui a wrap but. A number of times yesterday, he was asked for a big effort in defence and just kept showing up. He was tested out a lot, including his lateral movement and responded smartly.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ha! I'm still reeling from the kicking I got a few years ago for suggesting that Tarpine might not be, you know, the messiah. No way Pig should be allowed to get away with this heresy.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I gave him points in POTY which is something i never expected to do
I thought he came on at a critual point and provided a really strong platform to allow us to level out a bit and get contol back of the game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:19 pm Ha! I'm still reeling from the kicking I got a few years ago for suggesting that Tarpine might not be, you know, the messiah. No way Pig should be allowed to get away with this heresy.

Haha, a few years ago he was a few years younger, barely a year experience, and choc full of potential. It's a different conversation.
Also since then he's repped for his country! You were totally out of order at the time and it's proven so.

Now we're faced with paying a very good, international footballer top dollar to play a role he maybe ill suited to, that's a totally different conversation to "this 21 year old kid sucks"
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 20 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by gangrenous »

I was, and still am, on T_R’s side of this one.

Not a sentence you hear often, but there it is.

Edit - Now pigman is straw-manning T_R!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The idea that Bateman's best position is 13 after the game he just had in the 2nd row is interesting. Really not his first cracker there either. Internationally, in the super league, or here. I thought his best position was second row before the season started and I haven't seen enough to suggest otherwise.
Sure he'd be great at lock like he's great at everything. Maybe if Tapine hadn't picked up a few injures Bateman would still be lining up there.

If you wanna move him to get more out of Tapine that's one way to go but he's in the awkward position at the moment where Bateman is better than him at both positions and our priority on defense has Bateman playing where he can make the biggest defensive difference.

If we are going to switch back it has to happen soon and maybe with Young on the bench so we can get those combinations and fitness right for the finals.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:I was, and still am, on T_R’s side of this one.

Not a sentence you hear often, but there it is.

Edit - Now pigman is straw-manning T_R! Image
I'm with Pigman on this one

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote:Image Azza.

Always worried..

Warriors fans are being encouraged to turn up dressed as referees and bring their whistles...

Can't wait to see that on my bitchin 65inch tv totally drunk...
Same ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:We'll win because we're the better team.
The short turn around is legitimate and something to consider, but we're good enough to overcome it.
Yes, I think, with it being treated as a mini tour for the team, I think they will be switched on for this game

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:31 pm The idea that Bateman's best position is 13 after the game he just had in the 2nd row is interesting. Really not his first cracker there either. Internationally, in the super league, or here. I thought his best position was second row before the season started and I haven't seen enough to suggest otherwise.
Sure he'd be great at lock like he's great at everything. Maybe if Tapine hadn't picked up a few injures Bateman would still be lining up there.

If you wanna move him to get more out of Tapine that's one way to go but he's in the awkward position at the moment where Bateman is better than him at both positions and our priority on defense has Bateman playing where he can make the biggest defensive difference.

If we are going to switch back it has to happen soon and maybe with Young on the bench so we can get those combinations and fitness right for the finals.
Nailed it. We are a defensive focussed team, and Bateman is better on the edge defensively than Tarps.

I’d say he is also better in attack right now on the edge than Tarps.

I think Sutton is much better suited to playing long minutes at lock than an impact prop, so the real question for me (and pig, and TR) is - where does Tarps fit, return on investment wise? Can he transition to being a really effective prop? Probably. Is it worth keeping him in this role with Sia likely to hang up the boots in the next 18 months? Probably. Is it worth paying international money (rumoured increase to 600k if I recall correctly) for what could be a 40 minute impact player?? Probably, but it should be a serious discussion, and no real reflection on Tarps as a player, merely his value vs cost in a team with 2 international back rowers, and an international prop already (plus Sutton when he gets the call up).
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Tarps has had a bad run with injuries lately but I think he will be back to his best before too long. He has great footwork and gets his nose through the line nearly every single time he runs the ball. He is solid in defence and has the capacity to pull off a big hit.

Hopefully we see him back to his best when it really matters over the next few weeks. For what it’s worth I think he will prove that he is worth the good money. He’s certainly producing a lot more than Boyd on less money!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

pickles wrote: July 29, 2019, 10:53 pm Tarps has had a bad run with injuries lately but I think he will be back to his best before too long. He has great footwork and gets his nose through the line nearly every single time he runs the ball. He is solid in defence and has the capacity to pull off a big hit.

Hopefully we see him back to his best when it really matters over the next few weeks. For what it’s worth I think he will prove that he is worth the good money. He’s certainly producing a lot more than Boyd on less money!
I'd be finding a way to try keep Tapine a lot harder than I'd be busting a gut to try and keep Sia, Sutton, Lui, Hors or Young...

I don't think we need to be worrying bout Sia and Lui- they are locked in for deals appropriate and not going to need upgrades or to be fought over.

Hors and Young might be good one day, but Tapine is good. He wins that one. If I had to, I'd keep him and let one go.

I just think Tapine is a rarer combo to try and buy in than Sutton. Sutton is a good footy player but we go just fine without him and he's really only effective as a steady/reliable long minute starter. Good player but not worth breaking the bank for. Tapine has more versatility and upside. Very different styles though.

People are talking about bringing in a dynamic, impact middle. I think it's maybe more cost effective to keep Tapine and let him develop.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2019, 11:23 pm I'd be finding a way to try keep Tapine a lot harder than I'd be busting a gut to try and keep Sia, Sutton, Lui, Hors or Young...

I don't think we need to be worrying bout Sia and Lui- they are locked in for deals appropriate and not going to need upgrades or to be fought over.

Hors and Young might be good one day, but Tapine is good. He wins that one. If I had to, I'd keep him and let one go.

I just think Tapine is a rarer combo to try and buy in than Sutton. Sutton is a good footy player but we go just fine without him and he's really only effective as a steady/reliable long minute starter. Good player but not worth breaking the bank for. Tapine has more versatility and upside. Very different styles though.

People are talking about bringing in a dynamic, impact middle. I think it's maybe more cost effective to keep Tapine and let him develop.
I can't disagree with any of this. I do strongly feel that a lot of Tapine's talents and qualities that make him effective at second row are completely wasted with him playing at lock though. I'm still holding on to a tiny sliver of hope that Stuart will go back to 11. Tapine 13. Bateman once we're back to full strength... just give him one more shot and he will silence all the doubters (or fail and that would at least silence me for the time being anyway)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2019, 11:23 pm People are talking about bringing in a dynamic, impact middle. I think it's maybe more cost effective to keep Tapine and let him develop.
Agreed BnM. I reckon we are seeing Tarps follow the Papa progression. He has gone from edge to middle third player. I think Sticky has done exactly the right thing with him. We want a large frame in the middle. He is it. I think JB is much better suited to an edge both with and without the ball.

Speaking of our middles, I reckon Dunamis has been doing heavy squats in the weights room. His legs are huge. He is in good form and is a regular NRL FG prop. The type of player every squad needs. Puts his hand up to take the tough runs. Competent in defence and has far better lateral movement than Boyd or Junior Paulo will ever possess. He has had good role models in Papa and Sia to learn from. No unnecessary niggle in him, just gets his job done week after week. I enjoy watching him play.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The smile on DLui's face last week when he scored was priceless, I was so happy for him..

He's had a great season..

I hope he crosses for a double on Friday night, I want all 17 to cross for a double.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Lui at starting prop was the main reason I picked us to have hard season this year. I seriously thought that we'd spend half a year being run over in the middle.

So;

1. Keghead was in fact entirely right, I'm an idiot who knows nothing about rugby league
2. Lui has done really well for himself this year

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

T_R wrote: July 30, 2019, 8:22 am Lui at starting prop was the main reason I picked us to have hard season this year. I seriously thought that we'd spend half a year being run over in the middle.

So;

1. Keghead was in fact entirely right, I'm an idiot who knows nothing about rugby league
2. Lui has done really well for himself this year
I actually think Lui has been pretty bloody solid ever since he came to Canberra, I remember arguing with a heap of posters on here who were excited by the signing of Charlie Gubb and that they expected him to replace Lui in the side, Luis last couple of years have been really good but even in 2017 before he did his knee he was running harder and making more metres than our bigger name props
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:The smile on DLui's face last week when he scored was priceless, I was so happy for him..

He's had a great season..

I hope he crosses for a double on Friday night, I want all 17 to cross for a double.
Hopefully not all scored on the right, otherwise it might only be 136-0!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2019, 11:23 pm
pickles wrote: July 29, 2019, 10:53 pm Tarps has had a bad run with injuries lately but I think he will be back to his best before too long. He has great footwork and gets his nose through the line nearly every single time he runs the ball. He is solid in defence and has the capacity to pull off a big hit.

I'd be finding a way to try keep Tapine a lot harder than I'd be busting a gut to try and keep Sia, Sutton, Lui, Hors or Young...

Cant argue with any of the logic here, its more a question of salary cap balance. Its essentially the same questions surrounding re-signing Rapana. If we can somehow keep the below squad together under the salary cap, then great work DFJ! But there are a umber of players there that would be in need of a top up, plus a much higher number of origin/national team representation than normal.

1.CNK
2.Cotric
3.Croker
4.BJ
5.Rapa
6.Wighton
7.G Williams
8.Papa
9.Hodgo
10.Lui
11.Bateman
12.Whitehead
13.Tarpine

14.Havili
15.Sia
16.Sutton
17.Big Red

Simonnson
Hudson Young
Sammy
Guler
Murchie
Oldbeard
Kris
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I think Ricky has the forward rotation spot on at the moment.

I suspect Tapine was held back longer due to the short turn around for this match, but I like his work in the middle at the moment.

Bateman and Whitehead work on the edges because their lateral movement is exceptional....I think this has made a huge difference to our defensive structure.

Lui and Red Horse have really lifted lately and making the bench rotation very interesting, given Sutton and Young will be back soon.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:46 am I think Ricky has the forward rotation spot on at the moment.

I suspect Tapine was held back longer due to the short turn around for this match, but I like his work in the middle at the moment.

Bateman and Whitehead work on the edges because their lateral movement is exceptional....I think this has made a huge difference to our defensive structure.

Lui and Red Horse have really lifted lately and making the bench rotation very interesting, given Sutton and Young will be back soon.
I was arguing for Bateman at lock, but you and Ricky have it right.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2019, 5:20 pm
gergreg wrote: July 29, 2019, 5:16 pm
greeneyed wrote:It looks like the whole squad went in and had cryotherapy treatment last night based on Instagram Stories.
What were they so upset about?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It involves being exposed for short periods to intensely cold temperatures. The shock is supposed to help recovery.
Oooof, EDIT Ferg. You hate to see it.