One on one steals

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

One on one steals

Post by Billy Walker »

From all the games I’ve watched this year I’m not sure there is another team that has exploited the change in the one on one strip rules as well as the raiders. Not sure they keep stats but I’d imagine Hodgo and Croker would have to be leading the comp in strips. Would I be correct to assume this is something they train for a call for other defenders to drop off the tackle?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: One on one strip

Post by Botman »

I think it's definitely something they've worked on.
Hodgson and Munster are neck and neck for being the strip kings, and it's daylight rounding out the remaining top 10 spots
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:42 pm I think it's definitely something they've worked on.
Hodgson and Munster are neck and neck for being the strip kings, and it's daylight rounding out the remaining top 10 spots
I forgot about Muster - you’re right he has nabbed a few. Croker wouldn’t be a million miles behind. He hasn’t got one for a while but I seem to recall he got 2 or 3 in one game a while back?
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Sezer has been good for it too tbh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders have won a one on one strip a lot more times than they’ve lost the ball to one.

Agree regarding Hodgson and Munster. They produce more strips than you’d find at Sinsation’s
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

CJ42 wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:47 pm Sezer has been good for it too tbh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
True - I reckon we would lead the league by a fair margin. Not sure if it’s a Ricky thing, an Ennis influence or something the players landed on but it’s bloody smart and it’s these 1%ers that win premierships.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Sid wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:51 pm Raiders have won a one on one strip a lot more times than they’ve lost the ball to one.

Agree regarding Hodgson and Munster. They produce more strips than you’d find at Sinsation’s
Hodgo will end up with a nasty nickname if he keeps it up - I’m thinking Candy or Krystal..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Interesting that not only are we on the front foot of taking advantage, we appear to be one of the better teams at defending against it too. It's undoubtably happened but it doesnt feel like we've given up many 1 on 1's either.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:55 pm
Sid wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:51 pm Raiders have won a one on one strip a lot more times than they’ve lost the ball to one.

Hodgo will end up with a nasty nickname if he keeps it up - I’m thinking Candy or Krystal..
Is Candi back from Mat leave?
That's awesome, i'll have to pop in and see her.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:57 pm Interesting that not only are we on the front foot of taking advantage, we appear to be one of the better teams at defending against it too. It's undoubtably happened but it doesnt feel like we've given up many 1 on 1's either.
I can’t recall any to be honest. A player being stripped is up there with a knock on early in the set and I don’t recall anyone getting hammered on the game day threads for being stripped. I’m sure we’ve conceded some but not many. Surely someone keeps stats on strips.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They keep the stats as NRL.com reports them in the player stats for individual games. However I haven’t seen the aggregate over the year reported anywhere.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

PigRickman wrote:I think it's definitely something they've worked on.
I reckon Rickman would challenge them to the title of “Strip King” after a few
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Correct me if I am wrong but Cameron Murray would also be up their for one on one strips.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hodgo is a freak at it. Feels like he gets 2 a game lately.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Surely Hodgo is ahead of even Munster. Hodgo is the stripping god

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Do we get a trophy at seasons end ?

Maybe Dally M medal night..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:35 pm Do we get a trophy at seasons end ?

Maybe Dally M medal night..
The golden pole?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Hodgo and Skip are the best but there's been a few other good ones too, Sezer and I think Raps got one in as well?

But Croker's actually been really good at one-on-ones for a number of years. He just didn't get as many opportunities to show it off. I remember him pulling off a beauty on Billy Slater.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: July 26, 2019, 10:13 pm Hodgo and Skip are the best but there's been a few other good ones too, Sezer and I think Raps got one in as well?

But Croker's actually been really good at one-on-ones for a number of years. He just didn't get as many opportunities to show it off. I remember him pulling off a beauty on Billy Slater.
That’s quite a disturbing visual
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote:

You could imagine my delight when my accountant told me I could claim back the money I’d given to Charity.

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I always been surprised that teams don't send the first chaser after a long kick at the man returning the ball.

The overall chase would have to ensure the player going for the strip isn't part of the line, otherwise it could leave a gap.

Even if they don't get the ball, it's possible to achieve a knock on and a scrum, which would halt the return.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

MrPosh wrote: July 27, 2019, 6:35 am I always been surprised that teams don't send the first chaser after a long kick at the man returning the ball.

The overall chase would have to ensure the player going for the strip isn't part of the line, otherwise it could leave a gap.

Even if they don't get the ball, it's possible to achieve a knock on and a scrum, which would halt the return.
Interesting. I think we are leading the way in exploiting the rule change but I think the surface has only been scratched here. I expect over coming seasons we will see more tactics developed like the one you’ve suggested as well as tackling styles refined to get more advantage from this rule. The game has long had wrestling coaches - not a huge stretch to see players develop styles that better attack the ball. Can you only affect a strip while the ball carrier is on his feet or could we see a union approach where the first tackler goes around the ankles to cut the player down, then releases the tackled player when his teammate comes in over the ball like a number 7 does in union?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: July 27, 2019, 6:32 am
PigRickman wrote:

You could imagine my delight when my accountant told me I could claim back the money I’d given to Charity.
Hi——ooo!
He’s here all week, try the veal!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And the 2019 Dally M stripper of the year is Josh Hodgson..

It will be a damn proud moment.

Hey could get the skipper/stripper double..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: July 27, 2019, 10:46 am And the 2019 Dally M stripper of the year is Josh Hodgson..

It will be a damn proud moment.

Hey could get the skipper/stripper double..
It would be far more fitting if Munster won it and as he turned to leave the stage Hodgo jumped up and stripped it off him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think the Poms are just smarter than most footballers in Oz in sizing up and seeing the opportunties. Whitehead does the odd one too- just that with his size he goes for it less as he's more capable of putting a big shot on. Hodgo often just has to grab and hold on to a bigger bloke so he can just limpet onto the ball, then call the others off if he has it.

They definitely train for it. My old man doesn't watch many games these days but we watched one together when he visited recently and he was loving Hodgo's work and commented that it seemed to be orchestrated with the other players.

My other favourite part was when some Joker from the Tigpies tried that nonsense on Papa and got a good forearm and shin to the head for his trouble as Papa shook him off and stood up all over him. Pick your targets son.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Billy Walker wrote:
MrPosh wrote: July 27, 2019, 6:35 am I always been surprised that teams don't send the first chaser after a long kick at the man returning the ball.

Interesting. I think we are leading the way in exploiting the rule change but I think the surface has only been scratched here. I expect over coming seasons we will see more tactics developed like the one you’ve suggested as well as tackling styles refined to get more advantage from this rule. The game has long had wrestling coaches - not a huge stretch to see players develop styles that better attack the ball. Can you only affect a strip while the ball carrier is on his feet or could we see a union approach where the first tackler goes around the ankles to cut the player down, then releases the tackled player when his teammate comes in over the ball like a number 7 does in union?
That wouldn’t work as when the arm carrying the ball hits the ground the tackle is complete. The approach we have worked quite well a few times is where the player on the ball gets a good grip and then the other players in the tackle drop off, allowing the player on the ball to rip it out.

I think it is hard to train for but there needs be a call for players to drop off and then it will come down to the situational awareness of the players.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

BadnMean wrote: July 27, 2019, 12:51 pm

They definitely train for it. My old man doesn't watch many games these days but we watched one together when he visited recently and he was loving Hodgo's work and commented that it seemed to be orchestrated with the other players.

It’s a safe bet they’ve got a call for it, the amount of times there’s 2 or 3 in a tackle then they quickly jump off just before the steal is great.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

pickles wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:05 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

That wouldn’t work as when the arm carrying the ball hits the ground the tackle is complete. The approach we have worked quite well a few times is where the player on the ball gets a good grip and then the other players in the tackle drop off, allowing the player on the ball to rip it out.

I think it is hard to train for but there needs be a call for players to drop off and then it will come down to the situational awareness of the players.
True. Also it no doubt helps in union that the tackles player actually has to release the ball. Teams will wake up to what we are doing soon enough and then we will have to find a different angle. It’s been a good rule change I think.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Billy Walker wrote:
pickles wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:05 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

True. Also it no doubt helps in union that the tackles player actually has to release the ball. Teams will wake up to what we are doing soon enough and then we will have to find a different angle. It’s been a good rule change I think.
It’s good to see an element of the game where there is contested possession given they have removed it from scrums, play of the ball and increasingly kick chases.

Teams will get better but it will always be about being smart enough to take the chances when they are there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson turns pick pocketing into an NRL artform

Josh Hodgson now leads the NRL with eight strips so far this season, with Munster second with four. As a team, the Raiders lead the competition with 17 - the Melbourne Storm their nearest rival with nine.

"We did a fair bit with our wrestle coach who was here earlier in the year, Steve Babic," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wow! I would never guessed Hodgson would be doubling up Munster. Feels like he's had more than 4.

17-9 is a massive difference from 1st to second...
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

and 3 of munster’s were in the one game early in the season.. I guess that’s where his reputation came from. Awesome stuff from hodgo, though now teams will be awake to it

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Manbush wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:50 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 27, 2019, 12:51 pm

It’s a safe bet they’ve got a call for it, the amount of times there’s 2 or 3 in a tackle then they quickly jump off just before the steal is great.
Today the Warriors seemed to suddenly wake up to it about halfway through the game. I reckon that some teams are just smarter than others.

And very soon, when someone like the rooters get slaughtered by it, the NRL will start making dumb rules all over again to stop it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ve given the team a lot of **** for being just plain awful strategically.

Credit where it’s due. Here they’ve isolated an opportunity and taken the lead on exploiting it far better than their opponents. Whoever recognised this and put the training/planning in deserves a raise.