Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: One on one steals

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: August 14, 2019, 1:45 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 1:38 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 1:31 pm I think with all the rhetoric around this rule that we can expect to see it changed in the near future

Hopefully not before the grand final, but you never **** know with the NRL

I think we do know. The Raiders very good at this, and as we know, the NRL simply won't allow us to be good at anything. So a rule change should be finalised before the COB.
3(a) s. 6 - A defending player may steal possession from an opposing player provided:
(i) there is not more than one defensive player at the time,
(ii) the defensive player has neither a pommy accent or green jumper, and
(iii) the attacking player isn’t a rooster or bronco.

Seems fair....
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: August 14, 2019, 2:41 pm
PigRickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:37 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:30 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:26 pm Honestly, I loathe Union scrums.

They’re an absolute mess. They pack the thing a dozen times to eventually just blow a penalty...

The former style (which died about 10-15 years ago) of rugby league scrum where it was backs vs backs was enjoyable to watch. But that’s no longer the case. It’s all about defensive formations now.

I think we should get rid of scrums altogether.
True, scrums have become somewhat obsolete in rugby league with the gradual watering down of the contest. Doesn't really matter of they stay or go.
Can't agree scrums should go. They drag half the players into a point on the field, and open up the rest of the field. That sort of variety is important, it adds an attacking opportunity.
This is the correct take on scrums btw. The issue with scrums is coaches dont use them enough. If i were a coach, any scrum feed i had outside of my own 30, we'd be running a set play. There is just few times you get that much space to work with covered by so few players. By all means if you're in the shadow of your own goal posts, take a hit up and grind to get back up the other end... once you're close to half way though, that's a time to give the opposition a shot. You're one/broken tackle away from a try opportunity.
Getting sidetracked here, but not only am I also surprised that there aren’t more set plays off scrums

what really annoys me is I don’t know why more defending teams don’t purposely give away a differential penalty from the scrum

2 benefits of this are
- that you get to set your defensive line, making it easier to defend against than from a scrum and halt the team’s momentum from tackle 1.

- it’s giving away a penalty for free (no extra tackles, teams can’t go for goal etc. which I think is a benefit in a system where I believe even up penalties are unfortunately still a thing to an extent
Now thats really working the system Sid. I like it.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

it's our way of slowing the ruck, it's helped. will they change before end of season?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter Sterling's wake-up call to players over steal rule controversy

Peter Sterling has put the blowtorch on "lax" NRL players, saying they are responsible for controversy over the new one on one steal rule.

"I still like the rule change, for the same reason: that our game is devoid of challenges where you can compete for the football. A scrum used to be a challenge, you used to be able to rake for the ball at marker; you can't do those kinds of things now.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/stripping- ... db8503fe50
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sterling is spot on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sterlo basically saying players need to learn how to hold onto the ball again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And we need contests for the ball again.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

“"I see where Trent's coming from, but I'm still very, very confident that if I had a football in my hand and I had three blokes trying to tackle me and they drop off, that I could hold it.” - P.Sterling

Gee I’d love to see him test that theory :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:00 pm And we need contests for the ball again.
Absolutely. Being able to dispossess the opposition should be a core component of any ball sport.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:10 pm “"I see where Trent's coming from, but I'm still very, very confident that if I had a football in my hand and I had three blokes trying to tackle me and they drop off, that I could hold it.” - P.Sterling

You mean like he did during his entire career? When he played, the ball could stolen at any time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:10 pm “"I see where Trent's coming from, but I'm still very, very confident that if I had a football in my hand and I had three blokes trying to tackle me and they drop off, that I could hold it.” - P.Sterling

Considering he played in the days when possession wasn't treated as a right I reckon he would do OK.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:14 pm

You mean like he did during his entire career? When he played, the ball could stolen at any time.
Dig me up some footage of Sterling being contorted by 3 players, including one with the jaws of life around his ball carrying arm, while he’s trying to shrug free and quickly play the ball.

And he did not play in an era where wrestling coaches were focusing on stripping.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:20 pm

Dig me up some footage of Sterling being contorted by 3 players, including one with the jaws of life around his ball carrying arm, while he’s trying to shrug free and quickly play the ball.

And he did not play in an era where wrestling coaches were focusing on stripping.
You have to be kidding me! :roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:21 pm

Time to break out the old VHS tapes GE :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The roosters got stripped 4 times in our game on the weekend.
FOUR TIMES!

and then when the game was on the line and they needed to retain possesion, and the Raiders came at them to strip them, they marched us up feild 70 damn metres and iced the game. Explain to me how roosters managed to avoid being stripped of the footy when the games was on the line given they'd be exposed in that very same game as being lax about ball control?

Or dont, and ill answer.
They didnt give a **** about ball control and got their pockets pinched, and as soon as they gave a **** about ball control they retained poessesion and there was nothing we could to relieve them of it.

Isnt it about time we made offensive players give a **** about ball control
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Amazing how quickly players can learn how to hold onto the ball when they have to.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:29 pm Amazing how quickly players can learn how to hold onto the ball when they have to.
it really is. And how often do the Raiders get stripped?
If you make ball security a priority, it's not a problem....

If you dont... cool.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It is utterly wild to me that fans, any fan is rallying against this stripping rule when the wrestle in the ruck is still so dominant
Let's work big to small. You want to fix the game, start with the stuff that actually matters on a tackle by tackle basis, not somrthing that happens once every 500 tackles

Christ.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:26 pm

The roosters got stripped 4 times in our game on the weekend.
FOUR TIMES!

and then when the game was on the line and they needed to retain possesion, and the Raiders came at them to strip them, they marched us up feild 70 damn metres and iced the game. Explain to me how roosters managed to avoid being stripped of the footy when the games was on the line given they'd be exposed in that very same game as being lax about ball control?

Or dont, and ill answer.
They didnt give a **** about ball control and got their pockets pinched, and as soon as they gave a **** about ball control they retained poessesion and there was nothing we could to relieve them of it.

Isnt it about time we made offensive players give a **** about ball control
What ? Like there’s a ball control epidemic going on! Christ ! :lol:

We couldn’t manipulate the tackle for a strip in 4 or 5 attempts so that must constitute a significant shift in the Roosters ball control .. righto. If they were genuinely locking down the hatches, they wouldn’t have rolled us for 60 metres that set, essentially taking away any real chance of a raiders win.

Had we defended properly and put them under pressure, we would have actually pinned them down their end.

I think the vast majority of NRL players have very good ball control, only exceptions really being the Burgess brothers who are basically at lesbian level in that regard.

Contests for the ball, I understand where that comes from and I get it, inspite of my belief that if you relinquish possession through an error, you don’t deserve a roll of the dice or lottery to get it right back (scrum rake, line-out, short drop outs).
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:35 pm It is utterly wild to me that fans, any fan is rallying against this stripping rule when the wrestle in the ruck is still so dominant
Let's work big to small. You want to fix the game, start with the stuff that actually matters on a tackle by tackle basis, not somrthing that happens once every 500 tackles

Christ.
So why not just work on eliminating the wrestling ? I mean, that’s the most glaringly obvious problem with the flow of the game.

Nothing to do with allowing theft of the ball or supposed lack of ball control.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:

Hahaha he’s done it again, folks!

Excuse me while I go outside and check the colour of the sky, this is absolutely superb stuff here.... “Gee I’d love to see him test that theory”
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 11:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Hahaha he’s done it again, folks!

Excuse me while I go outside and check the colour of the sky, this is absolutely superb stuff here.... “Gee I’d love to see him test that theory”
Haha, Sterlo’s era allowed a free for all of stripping. It didn’t encourage the innovation of the types of 3 to 1 drop-offs that we’re seeing today which encourage the defenders to manipulate the entire tackle, to a point where the stripper gains an unfair leg-up.

And as mentioned, they didn’t have wrestling coaches helping them perfect it.

Go to bed Jessica.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

How have you all of a sudden lost the ability to quote properly over multiple threads? This your first day?

Go to bed yourself, pal
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, GE and NR nailed it perfectly, Sterling played in an era where you could strip freely and basically anything went in the ruck. I’m pretty certain he’d be completely fine in today’s era.

Seriously, go to bed, as usual you have no idea what you’re driveling about, and it’s embarrassing for everybody
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I have no idea what you’re talking about, the quoting looks fine at my end.

Maybe you’re malfunctioning again, Botman?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah not a good one there YR. Sterlo played when it was almost acceptable for a bloke to punch you in the throat as you were running past him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

If he was current era player, he’d share the same struggles as the rest of his peers.

The game today is very different.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dig up, stupid!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:21 pm

That was a good laugh. The trolling pops up a gem every now and then.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Talk about deflecting, Trent Robinson has classic Sticky'd and everyone ran with it. His team got done with 4 clean strips, got away with stripping the ball off Rapana in the ruck, a 50-50 bomb contest leading to a try, a fluke pass try, 2 high shots with the game on the line, wrestling and hand on the ball in every play the ball all game, stalling tactics, tactical HIA but all anyone is talking about is the stripping rule.
If Sticky did this he'd be laughed out of the presser.
Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote:I have no idea what you’re talking about, the quoting looks fine at my end.

Maybe you’re malfunctioning again, Botman?
I think there is something happening with quote display in tapatalk? Perhaps for posts with many quotes in them?

Because I’ve noticed a lot more broken quoting over the last month or so.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As an aside to this, do we even know how many of the strips this year have been the drop off strips?
I would guess, and it would just be a guess, that of the 70-80 strips this year, less than 15 of them would be those ones. The vast majority are just clean, straight up one on ones.
yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:45 pm What ? Like there’s a ball control epidemic going on! Christ ! :lol:
Do you watch games? How many times a game do you see a guy just loose possession of the footy because there is a hand around the football. The code had spent 2 decades devaluing ball security, where basically before this rule change, if you drop the ball and there is even a hand near the footy, regardless of whether someone was playing at it, it was a penalty. They've been bailing out poor ball security as a rule since the turn of the century.

And it still happens a bit this year, but been curtailed considerable. The referees are happy to call "loose carry" now.
Ball security matters, it's one of the first things they teach you as a young guy.

If a player has the football, and wants to retain possession, there is no reason why they cant, whether there is 1 person in the tackle or 50. The ball is only so big and it can really only be contested by one other player. So it's ball carrier vs one defender, and the ball carrier has the advantage of possession. If you lose the footy in the circumstance, well that's on you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: August 15, 2019, 7:40 am Talk about deflecting, Trent Robinson has classic Sticky'd and everyone ran with it. His team got done with 4 clean strips, got away with stripping the ball off Rapana in the ruck, a 50-50 bomb contest leading to a try, a fluke pass try, 2 high shots with the game on the line, wrestling and hand on the ball in every play the ball all game, stalling tactics, tactical HIA but all anyone is talking about is the stripping rule.
No mention of the latest innovation to slow down the ruck, which the Roosters and Storm have employed this year - 'Tangling'. Its the art of getting caught up with the tackled player and making it look like you're trying to get out of the way without actually doing it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: August 15, 2019, 7:40 am Talk about deflecting, Trent Robinson has classic Sticky'd and everyone ran with it. His team got done with 4 clean strips, got away with stripping the ball off Rapana in the ruck, a 50-50 bomb contest leading to a try, a fluke pass try, 2 high shots with the game on the line, wrestling and hand on the ball in every play the ball all game, stalling tactics, tactical HIA but all anyone is talking about is the stripping rule.
No mention of the latest innovation to slow down the ruck, which the Roosters and Storm have employed this year - 'Tangling'. Its the art of getting caught up with the tackled player and making it look like you're trying to get out of the way without actually doing it.
generic wrestling variances
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: August 15, 2019, 8:49 am
Northern Raider wrote:
generic wrestling variances
It's more like anti-wrestling.