One on one steals

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: One on one steals

Post by Botman »

The Lui steal looked the right call live, i wasnt stunned at all when the penalty came, but the replay showed he timed it up perfectly and they got it wrong.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:What a clutch play from Hodgo

He was **** dog **** most of the night, but puts us in position to win the game when it mattered
Have we decided what we’ll argue about yet? Got any suggestions?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:06 pm

He was **** dog **** most of the night, but puts us in position to win the game when it mattered
After that win, i think we should just agree to take this week off and reconvene Monday week :D
Im promising myself that im not going to waste any time this week on this, the win deserves to be savoured.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

One on one steals are the best! Lui was unlucky to be pinned for his.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:09 pm

After that win, i think we should just agree to take this week off and reconvene Monday week :D
Im promising myself that im not going to waste any time this week on this, the win deserves to be savoured.
I just gave Croker points in the fans choice so I can’t really bag him this week. I thought he played well - surprised he wasn’t getting more points actually
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:

I can get on board that!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

PigRickman wrote:The Lui steal looked the right call live, i wasnt stunned at all when the penalty came, but the replay showed he timed it up perfectly and they got it wrong.
Radio commentators said that he reefed it out after the ref had called held.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:13 pm
PigRickman wrote:The Lui steal looked the right call live, i wasnt stunned at all when the penalty came, but the replay showed he timed it up perfectly and they got it wrong.
Ah that's interesting. I've got no views on that, i got no views on anything except we're the **** tits :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Good rule this. Imagine just watching the Storm tuck it under the arm and shut down the game knowing you can't take the ball of them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Hodgson is a beast stripper! hes in a league of his own :thumbsup
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:15 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:13 pm
Ah that's interesting. I've got no views on that, i got no views on anything except we're the **** tits :D
It goes squarely in the "was it a rake/was it a knock on?" category and Melbourne can cry me an effing river.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah..I got one.

How about Stick spending 80mins in the box. It's not right !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Lucky wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:32 pm Hodgson is a beast stripper! hes in a league of his own :thumbsup
Should be a trophy at the Dally M’s awards for most strips 😂
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’ll do you one better, Hodgson should just saunter on stage and actually strip at the dally ms
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’ll do you one better, Hodgson should just saunter on stage and actually strip at the dally ms

Edit: Effitall
Last edited by Botman on August 17, 2019, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
It was after the refs loudly called “held held HELD!!” too, he really gave them no option but to blow the penalty haha
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rickman watched that game and is sober enough to write a coherent sentence?

Tonight is just full of surprises!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Rickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
It was after the refs loudly called “held held HELD!!” too, he really gave them no option but to blow the penalty haha
Refs were calling ‘held held held’ a lot tonight, with players from both sides still trying to strip it or get the player to ground. One from Jesse Bromwich trying to strip was ridiculous and the refs just let him off, despite arguing with him for seconds to let go.

The ruck was abysmal tonight. Storm got away with murder a number of times. Especially if we had a chance of a quick play the ball.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Lucky wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:32 pm Hodgson is a beast stripper! hes in a league of his own :thumbsup
He’ll get the nickname “Monty” soon
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Absolutely one of the best rules introduced in 30 years.
Incredible
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BJ wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Refs were calling ‘held held held’ a lot tonight, with players from both sides still trying to strip it or get the player to ground. One from Jesse Bromwich trying to strip was ridiculous and the refs just let him off, despite arguing with him for seconds to let go.

The ruck was abysmal tonight. Storm got away with murder a number of times. Especially if we had a chance of a quick play the ball.
Smith tackle on CNK. Held, release. CNK gets to his feet. Smith pulls him to the ground again. Play on.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If that’s the one I’m thinking of I was annoyed in the game day thread because you could clearly hear the ref call “milking”
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think the refs get the Milking wrong all the time. A player being held down and is thrashing around ... milking. Cam Smith deliberately wraps his legs around an attackers legs and takes ten seconds to disentangle.... milking. It is the tacklers responsibility to clear the ruck. Unless the attacker is physically holding onto the defender it should be a penalty, every time. Then watch how quickly the ruck cleans up.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The storm have definitely perfected the next ruck art of tangling themselves into the attack on purpose
It’s really quite something the way they innovate in the ruck like this
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

There was no tangling. No, well it was line ball. No he was milking a bit.

Smith was lying on his back. As CNK bends to play the ball, smith grabs his Jersey and pulls him to the ground.

It was as obvious a text book penalty as has ever occurred. It could be used in instructional videos for young aspiring videos. Play on.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: August 17, 2019, 9:21 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
My only gripe with the rule here is that the ref's often call held, and then a pass is thrown.

The ref will allow the held tackled player to reset and play the ball.

There is an inconsistency with the rule which I'd like to see changed. If a player strips the ball after the held call, it shouldn't be penalised.

The strip doesn't count and the held player keeps the ball.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

:thumbsup They should keep the strip rule because we need to get the ball back after getting 7 penalties against us in a row.
The roosters are guilty of loose carries when they played the Raiders.
Robinson should realise now that the raiders will beat them in the semifinals no matter how many penalties they get in a row.
Robinson Crusoe
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Robinson Crusoe »

PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: August 17, 2019, 10:44 am
PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: August 17, 2019, 7:59 am Still missing the nuance there pig. He says “whether the rule stays or goes there are so many more rules”...

i.e. this rule is not what I want to focus on or discuss, and nor should the NRL as it’s part of a bigger problem. He couldn’t say “no, it’s not difficult for the refs to rule on I want the rule to stay” straight up as an answer because the Warriors were crippled by it a fortnight ago. But he moves away from talking about that rule exclusively as fast as he reasonably can without looking like a goose. He makes it clear that there’s an overall problem, changing one rule won’t fix that (so don’t change just the rule I like).
He answered a direct question, and then shifts the conversation to other parts of the game he’s unhappy with. But he was asked directly about that rule and answered it directly before the move, the reporter even confirms that this rule was one he was speaking to, and he confirms it was.

5 days later his messaging has changed to align more with what most of us think of the rule. He’s done the right thing by walking his previous comments back.
I’ve explained it as clearly as I can. The journalists are trying to drag him into a discussion on that rule and every time he works away from it as quickly as he can.

You’re Robinson Crusoe here pigman.
Firstly, around here that wouldn’t concern me one iota. Wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last

Secondly, apparently not Robinson Crusoe given the club has made a concerted effort to correct the message, including Stuart specifically addressing his response to that question.

The club obviously felt their messaging/RL politiking needed to be corrected. So here they are correcting it.

Not much more to be said.
Someone called me?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

about bloody time you answered the bell, Robbo
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

just searching the GH for posts to bump now are you Robinson?
Robinson Crusoe
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Robinson Crusoe »

gangrenous wrote:Image just searching the GH for posts to bump now are you Robinson?
I’m like Beetlejuice, just slightly delayed
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Anyone noticed we have put the steals away a little bit? Reckon we are in for a theftathon
Dont delete this GE
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

simo wrote: September 24, 2019, 7:46 am Anyone noticed we have put the steals away a little bit? Reckon we are in for a theftathon
I think we're still looking for it, other teams seem to be better prepared. We've probably had the short end of the stick the past few matches. The good thing is we're still winning :clap:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

simo wrote: September 24, 2019, 7:46 am Anyone noticed we have put the steals away a little bit? Reckon we are in for a theftathon
After people had a whinge they seemed to give a bit less leeway with what was allowed.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's almost as if once teams really focused on it, they were actually able to stop us from doing it at will. And all the hand wringing about it was a complete and total waste of time.

Who could have possibly predicted this?