Sunday 28 July 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:30am
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers 11:45am
NSW Cup: Mounties V Penrith Panthers 1:50pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Early fog then sunny. Mostly sunny. Early fog patches in the west. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 2 Max 20

Round 18 2019. Canberra Raiders 20 - Wests Tigers 12. The opening 10 minutes was flashy, and the second half was a bit ugly. The Raiders didn't score a try after the 20th minute and didn't score a point after half time. But the Canberra defence hung on desperately for the final 37 minutes. The Tigers scored just three minutes into the second half - and the they followed up with some dangerous line breaks, but the Raiders' scramble covered up each time.

More on Round 18: As I saw it

The Raiders are now back on the road and head to Penrith for a clash with the Panthers - a team aiming to match its longest ever winning streak.

Team changes: The only change to the Canberra Raiders team sees Josh Papalii move into the starting team, with Dunamis Lui dropping to the bench. The Penrith Panthers have named the same top 17 that faced the Dragons last week, inluding Viliame Kikau. But Kikau was suspended for two weeks for a shoulder charge by the judiciary on Tuesday night, and the Panthers will be forced to juggle their line up.

Late changes: On Saturday afternoon, the Raiders omitted JJ Collins and Royce Hunt from their squad, leaving Sam Williams and Seb Kris on the extended bench. For the Panthers, Isaah Yeo will move into the second row to replace the suspended Villiame Kikau. Liam Martin will start at lock, while Spencer Leniu has been cut from the bench.

Milestone: Prop Sia Soliola will play his 100th game in green this round.

History: The Raiders have won 37 matches against the Penrith Panthers, lost 38 and drawn one. Canberra has won five of the past 10 clashes between the clubs, but just one of the past five. The Raiders lost the first clash between the teams in 2017 at Bathurst, after leading 20-12 with less than two minutes remaining - conceding two rapid fire tries. The Raiders also lost narrowly in Round 24 2017, 24-20. In Round 14 last year at Canberra Stadium, the Raiders led 22-16 with just over five minutes remaining. A Panthers try leveled the match, and a Nathan Cleary field goal with less than two minutes remaining delivered a 23-22 win for the visitors. That was followed by a 40-31 loss for the Raiders at Penrith in Round 21. The Raiders turned that around in Round 8, earlier this year, winning 30-12 at Wagga Wagga - but it was at a time when the Panthers were struggling.

2019 Round 8 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

2018 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

2018 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

Form: Raiders: WWLWW
Panthers: WWWWW

The Panthers are on a seven game winning streak, and are aiming to match the club record of eight straight, which was achieved in their premiership winning season of 2003. Four of those wins have been against teams currently in the top eight - the Eels (16-10), Sea Eagles (15-12), Roosters (19-10) and Rabbitohs (19-18). They had a big 40-18 win over the Dragons in their last outing at Panthers Stadium. They have also had recent wins over the Warriors (19-18) and the Titans (24-2). The Raiders have now won five of their past six games.

Betting: Both teams were paying $1.90 at the start of the week and the Raiders had 1.5 points start in the line. The Raiders’ odds have firmed, and the are now $1.80 favourites, while the Panthers are paying $2.00. The Panthers now have 1.5 points start.

Stat attack: It is a battle between fourth and seventh on the ladder. The Raiders have a better defensive record than the Panthers - and an even better attacking record. The Panthers are now winning after a poor start to the season. They've finally climbed into the top eight, but still have a negative points differential, the only top eight team in that position.

The Raiders' attack is not really firing on all cylinders, and they rank sixth in the attacking rankings - while the Panthers are in 15th. But that understates the threat in attack that the Panthers are now offering. In their past seven winning games, they've averaged 22 points per match, compared with their season average of 16. In the same period, the Raiders also have averaged 22 points per match.

The Raiders have the second best defence in the competition, after the Storm. The Raiders have conceded under 15 points per game, compared with 19 for the Panthers. In addition, the Panthers have missed more tackles than any team in 2019. But again, during the Panthers' seven game winning streak, they've conceded fewer points than the Green Machine - an average of 13 points per game, compared with 14 points for the Raiders. This is going to be a very tight contest.

The Raiders are the kings of dummy half running and kicking. No team surpasses them on either score this season. They are second to the Broncos for kicking metres gained. Those numbers say a lot about the Raiders' safety first attack and their game plan in season 2019. The Panthers are much more expansive in attack - but also more prone to error. They are top two in the competition for general play passes, while the Raiders rank 16th. The Raiders of old have found it difficult to deal with the Panthers' attacking style, so their defence will have to be right up to the mark on Sunday.

The Raiders won't want this game to be level in the final five minutes or go to golden point. While the Raiders have kicked three field goals this season, the Panthers rank first with five. The Panthers have now won three games by one point and one in golden point.

One area where the Raiders might have an advantage is discipline. The Panthers have conceded more penalties than any other club. While the Raiders were around the top of the list for penalties conceded earlier this season, they have reined that in, and now rank fourth.

Season record: Raiders 11 and 6 (4th, +111)
Panthers 9 and 8 (7th, -49)

Home and away: Raiders 6 of 9 away
Panthers 5 of 9 at home

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 3 of 8
Panthers have won 5 of 9

Attack: Raiders 21 points and 3.5 tries scored per match, ranked 6th
Panthers 16 points and 2.6 tries scored per match, ranked 15th

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.5 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Panthers 19 points and 3.2 tries conceded per match, ranked 6th

Completion rate: Raiders 78 per cent
Panthers 71 per cent

Running: Raiders 1561 running metres from 174 runs, 185 kick return metres, 447 post contact metres per match
Panthers 1539 running metres from 179 runs, 181 kick return metres, 447 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 31, Panthers 26

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Panthers 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Panthers 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Panthers 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 7, Panthers 9 per match

Kicking: Raiders 595 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Panthers 511 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 330 made, 30 missed, 13 ineffective per match
Panthers 352 made, 40 missed, 14 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1373, Panthers 1330 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Panthers 12 per match

Penalties: Raiders 7, Panthers 8 per match

Our tip: This shapes as a huge challenge for the Green Machine - and a very close match. The punters can't split the teams and the recent statistics are close as well. The Panthers have some very dangerous halves, and last week Nathan Cleary and James Maloney had four try assists, and three line break assists between them. The Raiders playmakers are going to have to be at their best to match them. As they showed in the opening 20 minutes last week, they can do it. But they'll need to keep up the pressure in attack for 80 minutes against the Panthers.

Canberra's standard game plan - winning the battle in the middle third, good completions, good line speed in defence, slowing the ruck and kicking to the corners - has the potential to close down the Panthers' attack. The Raiders won't be able to afford a period where they switch off. The Panthers can make other teams pay quickly. But if the Raiders execute their plan properly, they can win. Raiders by two.

What they're saying:

Michael Oldfield on the Panthers: "They're in some awesome form at the moment and even though they had a lot of losses to start the year they've got such a strong squad. I knew from the outside looking in that it was always bound to click.

Bailey Simonsson: "The Panthers have been in red-hot form so it's going to be a tough game for us, but we're confident we can go up there and get the job done. They've got quality halves and they're a quality team so we're going to have to make sure our defence is good again to shut them down."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui

18. Sam Williams
20. Sebastian Kris

Injury/Suspension

Nick Cotric (Suspended) Round 21
Ryan Sutton (Calf) Round 21-23
Ata Hingano (Thumb) Round 20-22
Joey Leilua (Neck) Indefinite
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 20-21
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Brent Naden
5. Brian To'o
6. James Maloney
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Mitch Kenny
10. James Fisher-Harris
13. Isaah Yeo
12. Frank Winterstein
21. Liam Martin

14. Wayde Egan
15. Jarome Luai
16. Moses Leota
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard

18. Jed Cartwright
20. Stephen Crichton

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, David Munro
Sideline Officials: Tim Roby, Liam Nicholls
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 19 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

UPDATE...

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#NRLPanthersRaiders Check out The GH's game day preview for the Canberra Raiders clash with the Penrith Panthers! Squads, team changes, officials, history, form, stat attack. All you need to know! 📚 and 📺 more here: http://ow.ly/4yVN50v8IZF

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

When we lost to Penrith at Bathurst that year, I was fishing with friends, fell in the river, slipped down the bank into 6 foot of water, had just lost my job and family left me. And I thought of necking myself, bad times back then... it was the worst day, and I'm telling all you ***** . I might of pissed a few of you off. But we all bleed green at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:21 pm When we lost to Penrith at Bathurst that year, I was fishing with friends, fell in the river, slipped down the bank into 6 foot of water, had just lost my job and family left me. And I thought of necking myself, bad times back then... it was the worst day, and I'm telling all you ***** . I might of pissed a few of you off. But we all bleed green at the end of the day.

That's an awful story... glad to hear you've come through that.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:21 pm When we lost to Penrith at Bathurst that year, I was fishing with friends, fell in the river, slipped down the bank into 6 foot of water, had just lost my job and family left me. And I thought of necking myself, bad times back then... it was the worst day, and I'm telling all you ***** . I might of pissed a few of you off. But we all bleed green at the end of the day.
Good to hear you're on the road back mate.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Kind of an apology to all that I've insulted on here over the years, besides nickman

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote:

Delete it if you like, I can't message you

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:41 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Delete it if you like, I can't message you

No, I wouldn't want to deleted it mate. I'm glad you feel you can share it on the site. We have had so many people share their stories of their struggles and I've seen people almost 100 per cent get behind people who do.

Not sure why you cannot message me... everyone should be able to.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:39 pm Kind of an apology to all that I've insulted on here over the years, besides nickman

I love these kind of apologies
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hope the world looks a bit differently these days.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

BadnMean wrote:

Hope the world looks a bit differently these days.
Yeah mate, life's a lot better, sorry for the rant

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Interesting you say that, I was fishing with mates on a houseboat that night (I don't fish these days, but I was heavily drinking) and watching the game on the NRL app. With about three minutes to go I turned it off thinking we had it in the bag and rejoined the boys, who were playing card or something at the time. Wasn't I in for a shock the next day!!

Also, good to hear you're in a better place these days. Life has a lot of highs and lows. Enjoy the highs, but remember we all have to ride the lows, they happen to us all, the important thing is you're through the other side, that's great to hear. I still think you're a total **** though.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:

Interesting you say that, I was fishing with mates on a houseboat that night (I don't fish these days, but I was heavily drinking) and watching the game on the NRL app. With about three minutes to go I turned it off thinking we had it in the bag and rejoined the boys, who were playing card or something at the time. Wasn't I in for a shock the next day!!

Also, good to hear you're in a better place these days. Life has a lot of highs and lows. Enjoy the highs, but remember we all have to ride the lows, they happen to us all, the important thing is you're through the other side, that's great to hear. I still think you're a total **** though.
My mates didn't want to listen to the footy and kept turning the radio off in the last 5 minutes, I was a bit cold after my swim and should of left it off lol. Good to hear, I'd hate for you to change your opinion after a post like that Image

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Bookies cant make up their minds.... first panthers were $1.80 faves, then it was $1.90 each... now raiders are $1.80 faves :lol:

Time for one of my world famous predictions: Jack Wighton to add to his impressive 29 errors for the year with him adding another 3 on the weekend, one being a kick out on the full :thumbsup
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ha.
When he kicked out on the full pretty early last week I can remember thinking great he got that out of the way, we'll be right now..go Jack !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lucky wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:58 pm Bookies cant make up their minds.... first panthers were $1.80 faves, then it was $1.90 each... now raiders are $1.80 faves :lol:

Time for one of my world famous predictions: Jack Wighton to add to his impressive 29 errors for the year with him adding another 3 on the weekend, one being a kick out on the full :thumbsup
It’s the weight of money that decides that, this late in the week.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Day before game day!!! Let’s do this.... tomorrow!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lucky wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:58 pm Bookies cant make up their minds.... first panthers were $1.80 faves, then it was $1.90 each... now raiders are $1.80 faves :lol:

That would be on the back of Kikau getting kicked out I think...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Penrith favourites I hope..pump them up..
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not feeling confident at all but gee I hope we can do it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders omit Royce Hunt and JJ Collins from their squad to face the Penrith Panthers. Latest squads, weather, odds: http://ow.ly/ymw850vdxjm

#NRLPanthersRaiders #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

This will be our finest hour..

#bleedgreen
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I hate to sound a bit negative but I have to be honest and say that my expectations for the next couple of weeks are low. I wouldn't be surprised if we're 0 from 2 however obviously I hope I am wrong I think it's just having supported this club through a number of disappointments hard to feel overly confident.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Azza wrote:I hate to sound a bit negative but I have to be honest and say that my expectations for the next couple of weeks are low. I wouldn't be surprised if we're 0 from 2 however obviously I hope I am wrong I think it's just having supported this club through a number of disappointments hard to feel overly confident.
Understandable.

We remain hopeful, support the team with everything, hope for the best, but we mentally prepare ourselves for the worst......to protect ourselves from the precedent of disappointment and false hope.

That's not being negative. That's just part of being human, and we as a species do it with numerous aspects in life.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Nah today has a a very winning feel about it - we are good here!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Manly breathing down our necks....
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

1992 wrote: July 28, 2019, 9:34 am Manly breathing down our necks....
Yep, Storm suck for not icing that game last night.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: July 28, 2019, 8:28 am I hate to sound a bit negative but I have to be honest and say that my expectations for the next couple of weeks are low. I wouldn't be surprised if we're 0 from 2 however obviously I hope I am wrong I think it's just having supported this club through a number of disappointments hard to feel overly confident.
Big chance of that. Whatever the result today it's going to be tough backing it up on Friday in NZ. 1-1 might be our best outcome.

....then we play Roosters. :doubt:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Many of you heading to the stadium?
Considering making the long trek from north Sydney...
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: July 28, 2019, 8:28 am I hate to sound a bit negative but I have to be honest and say that my expectations for the next couple of weeks are low. I wouldn't be surprised if we're 0 from 2 however obviously I hope I am wrong I think it's just having supported this club through a number of disappointments hard to feel overly confident.
Azza mate, you've had negative thoughts for the last 5+ weeks.

I can dig them out if you like.

Danger game, I don't know about this..blah blah.

Chill out..enjoy..and if we happen to lose today so be it.

No ones taking 4th off us this weekend..
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Rastafarian’s!

Go de Raiders Man! I and I no come to lose to no big black cat man!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 28, 2019, 10:02 am Many of you cowards heading to the stadium?
Considering making the long trek from north Sydney...
Bring your dollar bills Hodgo’s putting on a stripping Masterclass!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

We will win or lose this game on the back of ours defence. If it is on point we will win.

I also think that Wighton is going to single handedly destroy a team in the next few weeks and I wouldn’t mind at all if it was this week.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’m expecting a reasonably high scoring match on a dry afternoon deck
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine