Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by The Nickman »

I feel like you two should agree to disagree here.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 12:22 pm I feel like you two should agree to disagree here.
I don’t agree to that

And seriously I don’t, it’s just not right or fair to say a person has taken a pay packet and wilfully not tried their best just because circumstances lead to performance that didn’t meet expectations.

CNK never showed this level ability at the warriors, is Beejay going to say he wasn’t trying for them? Wighton didn’t show this form in his first stint at 5/8. We gonna say he wasn’t trying then? Had D. Liu just improved as a footballer or was he just not trying previously?
What about Mitchell Pearce in origin? Great club player but never performed at the state level, was he just not trying?

I’d like to know the answers to these questions
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

If Aidan has been deliberately kicking into opponents all these years in an attempt to mail it in then he is a genius.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 12:20 pm You'll have to search long and hard to find me accuse a player of collecting a pay cheque and not trying his best. I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.

That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete and i think you should have a little more than you own whims because you dont like him and the signing didnt work out.You can say the guy sucks, and that we should move on, or that he was never any good to begin with. That's all within the reasonable realms of your opinion, and ill go back and forth on you about that.

Glenn Buttriss and Josh McCrone were objectively dreadful footballers, who i never liked and panned regularly (and still do!) and i would never say they didnt try. They tried, and their best was found to be short of what we needed.

It's evidently clear that Aiden Sezer has absolutely tried his best to perform for this club. If his best wasnt good enough for you, that's fine.
But you dont get to say the guy hasnt tried to do his best unless you've got more than your own whim without me calling it **** Bull.
I reckon I've levelled that accusation (either directly or indirectly) towards three players in my time:
Bronson Harrison (post contract extension)
Craig Frawley (from day one)
Shannon Boyd (for most of his career, bar a short period at the end of 2016)

Sezer isn't anywhere near those three IMO. History shows me that he's a confidence player, which is hard for a halfback as his game isn't all about effort, it's more about creativity, touch and skill.

Sezer is a different player behind a forward pack going forward and when he gets good consistent ball from his dummy half. He's always been an above average defender for a half - which shows me his effort has always been there. It's his touch on short kicks and his running game that indicates to me whether he's in or out of form.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 12:20 pm You'll have to search long and hard to find me accuse a player of collecting a pay cheque and not trying his best. I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.

That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete and i think you should have a little more than you own whims because you dont like him and the signing didnt work out.You can say the guy sucks, and that we should move on, or that he was never any good to begin with. That's all within the reasonable realms of your opinion, and ill go back and forth on you about that.

Glenn Buttriss and Josh McCrone were objectively dreadful footballers, who i never liked and panned regularly (and still do!) and i would never say they didnt try. They tried, and their best was found to be short of what we needed.

It's evidently clear that Aiden Sezer has absolutely tried his best to perform for this club. If his best wasnt good enough for you, that's fine.
But you dont get to say the guy hasnt tried to do his best unless you've got more than your own whim without me calling it **** Bull.
I reckon I've levelled that accusation (either directly or indirectly) towards three players in my time:
Bronson Harrison (post contract extension)
Craig Frawley (from day one)
Shannon Boyd (for most of his career, bar a short period at the end of 2016)

Sezer isn't anywhere near those three IMO. History shows me that he's a confidence player, which is hard for a halfback as his game isn't all about effort, it's more about creativity, touch and skill.

Sezer is a different player behind a forward pack going forward and when he gets good consistent ball from his dummy half. He's always been an above average defender for a half - which shows me his effort has always been there. It's his touch on short kicks and his running game that indicates to me whether he's in or out of form.
This plus his confidence to call for the ball and direct some of the play.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: August 15, 2019, 10:18 pm Lurker saying that sezer leaving is key to retaining rapana..

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Links are required, please.
Point 14. Sorry.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... c1eo8hw/12

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It is well, well within the realms of possibility that Sezer has only tried to step it up when he's known his **** is on the line and he's on the way out. It happens in every single realm of professional sport and Plodzer is certainly not immune to that.

Funny, he did the exact same thing in 2015 - what an absolute coincidence :lol:
But of course, injury, forwards laying the platform, gelling, Blake Austin, planets hadn't yet alligned, etc. It'd be pure silliness to suggest anything otherwise.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 12:20 pm That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete
PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 12:33 pm seriously I don’t, it’s just not right or fair to say a person has taken a pay packet and wilfully not tried their best
PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 12:20 pm I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.
:lol:
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Look, i said he phoned it in. I didn't say he "Wilfully didn't try his best".

Both of those have different meanings, and it comes down to the intention.
I think you're taking too much offence to the 'phoning it in'.

His best year was 2015 (his last contract year at Titans) until the last 9 weeks. Make of that what you will.
I've had enough
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer again linked to Huddersfield Giants

Post by greeneyed »

Grand final half’s UK offer

According to League Weekly, Raiders half Aidan Sezer is heading on to Huddersfield to work under former Canberra hooker Simon Woolford. The newspaper reports that Sezer has signed a three-year deal.

Canberra duo Jack Murchie and Sam Williams are also reportedly “on the market”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/exile- ... 9a6ed7720c
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't know who's coming, who's going or what story to believe at all anymore...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:52 am Grand final half’s UK offer

According to League Weekly, Raiders half Aidan Sezer is heading on to Huddersfield to work under former Canberra hooker Simon Woolford. The newspaper reports that Sezer has signed a three-year deal.

Just read the linked story and Jackson Hastings beat Austin and Williams for the Man of Steel award. It took Williams and Wigan a while to get their act together. So, it was good to see Wigan come close to a GF after the season they've had and Williams still be a contender.

Just as an aside, it was good to see McCrone get the win for Toronto on the weekend and bring the Wolfpack into the ESL. Say what you like about him, but there was never any doubt as to where his heart lay. I remember a few times he'd score a crucial try and he'd grab the Raiders badge on his chest to let you know. Deserves to go out in a top-tier league.

I am surprised that Sam Williams hasn't been re-signed yet seeing as Ricky was keen to hold onto a local boy. Besides, he would be a dirt cheap back-up half.

As for Murchie, he's better off looking elsewhere. We're so well-off for 2nd-rowers that he'd just be stuck at Mounties in 2020.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

yurithe1 wrote: October 9, 2019, 9:45 am
greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:52 am Grand final half’s UK offer

Just read the linked story and Jackson Hastings beat Austin and Williams for the Man of Steel award. It took Williams and Wigan a while to get their act together. So, it was good to see Wigan come close to a GF after the season they've had and Williams still be a contender.

Just as an aside, it was good to see McCrone get the win for Toronto on the weekend and bring the Wolfpack into the ESL. Say what you like about him, but there was never any doubt as to where his heart lay. I remember a few times he'd score a crucial try and he'd grab the Raiders badge on his chest to let you know. Deserves to go out in a top-tier league.

I am surprised that Sam Williams hasn't been re-signed yet seeing as Ricky was keen to hold onto a local boy. Besides, he would be a dirt cheap back-up half.

As for Murchie, he's better off looking elsewhere. We're so well-off for 2nd-rowers that he'd just be stuck at Mounties in 2020.
Yeah Murchie is just blocked. Time will tell if keeping Young over Murchie was wise or not.

Letting Williams go only makes sense if we are keeping Sezer or have a young gun half who needs to start getting a look at some FG during injuries/origin.

Good on you McCrone, all is forgiven :thumbsup
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Williams needs to be re-signed. He’s the best back up half in the NRL.

Surely if Sezer gets an offer from the Broncos or Bulldogs, he takes it even if it is a little less money. His value will drop dramatically if he spends the whole season at Mounties.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Peter wrote: October 9, 2019, 12:04 pm Williams needs to be re-signed. He’s the best back up half in the NRL.

Surely if Sezer gets an offer from the Broncos or Bulldogs, he takes it even if it is a little less money. His value will drop dramatically if he spends the whole season at Mounties.
I agree that Sammy is the best back up half in the comp.

But he will want to be paid as one.... I very much doubt he would be dirt cheap compared to other back up halves.

The question is, as always, value for money. How much of our cap should we budget for a player we don’t ‘plan’ on playing? Saving 1-150k on a back up half and signing someone like Riley Jacks could be the difference in keeping a first 17 player like BJ or Rapa.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Peter wrote: October 9, 2019, 12:04 pm Williams needs to be re-signed. He’s the best back up half in the NRL.

He’s signed for Huddersfield as above apparently
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Interesting if they both go........

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: October 9, 2019, 12:28 pm

But he will want to be paid as one.... I very much doubt he would be dirt cheap compared to other back up halves.

The question is, as always, value for money. How much of our cap should we budget for a player we don’t ‘plan’ on playing? Saving 1-150k on a back up half and signing someone like Riley Jacks could be the difference in keeping a first 17 player like BJ or Rapa.
Williams will stay at the Raiders for any reasonable offer we make him. He's had his goes chasing the starting spots and he likes living here- he'll happily stay without demanding huge $$$.

We tried to lure Jacks but he didn't like our offer and went elsewhere so I hardly think we'll be getting Jacks for less than Williams. If you think we buy Jacks because he's younger and a better player or defender that's another matter entirely.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

There's no way Riley Jacks is coming at a cheaper price tag than Sam Williams.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We need to keep one of Sezer or Williams at least.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 2:36 pm

Agreed.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 2:36 pm

Agreed.
Williams is my preferred too and he appears happy to play the back up role
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Yeah, Sam is a must keep. Great back up for Wighton and G. Williams.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Coastalraider wrote:

Fwiw I think Sam Williams would stay with the club for minimum contract.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer again linked to Huddersfield Giants

Post by BJ »

I think Williams won’t stay for minimum contract. He was on well above minimum and could also earn that in the ESL.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Sam Williams is not going anywhere. No club is signing him to be a starter, so why would he want to move interstate to do exactly what he will do if he stays put?

He doesn’t need to be on minimum contract. If Williams or Wighton go down we are up **** creek if we have a halfback on minimum wage replacing them.

If the choice was between Sezer and Williams, you go Williams every day of the week. He’s still only 28, so potentially he could be here for another 5 years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Williams is not staying on minimum wage ($110k for 2020) and nor should he.

I'd be very happy to keep someone of Sam's calibre as a backup half on around $300-350 k, which is about 3-4% of the salary cap. I think that's better value than the $550k we'd spend on Sezer in the same role (although I think Sezer is a slightly better player - certainly a better defender in our system).

I'm glad for Sezer that he has had some interest from the ESL. I thought his defence and kicking game in the Grand Final were pretty good.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think that's insane.... 300k+ for a back up half is utterly insane for a club like ours.
Assuming Aiden Sezer is headed elswhere, i would offer Sam up to about 150-180k a year, and if he thinks he can do better than that elsewhere, best of luck to him

If Aiden Sezer isnt leaving, there simply isnt room for Sam Williams at the club unless it is literally at minmum wage. Im not paying my clear cut, break in case of emergency 4th string half more than minimum wage.

If George Williams doesnt pan out for us, we're ****. Sam Williams isnt going to save us from that.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

PigRickman wrote:I think that's insane.... 300k+ for a back up half is utterly insane for a club like ours.
Assuming Aiden Sezer is headed elswhere, i would offer Sam up to about 150-180k a year, and if he thinks he can do better than that elsewhere, best of luck to him

If Aiden Sezer isnt leaving, there simply isnt room for Sam Williams at the club unless it is literally at minmum wage. Im not paying my clear cut, break in case of emergency 4th string half more than minimum wage.

If George Williams doesnt pan out for us, we're ****. Sam Williams isnt going to save us from that.
Nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:08 pm I think that's insane.... 300k+ for a back up half is utterly insane for a club like ours.

Maybe it isn't clear, but I'm not talking about retaining Sam Williams on $300k if Sezer isnt leaving.

I'm saying Sam Williams is better cap value on $300k than Aidan Sezer on double that, as our backup half.

There is no way you keep both Williams and Sezer in the squad. I'm assuming Sezer has scored himself a contract elsewhere.

Spending $300k on an experienced backup halfback is a bargain.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I couldnt disagree more with that
If the Raiders are to remain a threat, they'll need to get maximum value from their cap space to help retain the superstars in this team and continue to suppliment them

Paying a guy you hope to never play a single minute of football for you that much would be, IMO, irresponsble. And not needed, Sam Williams is who he is, and thats a NSW Cup level half. At 28, he's not the type of player that is going to attract offers, clubs on the look out for a half will want younger options who can develop into... not Sam Williams.

If we offload Sezer, we should be able to get Williams on a 2-3 year deal for less than 200k, if we cant, let him walk and find a cheaper, younger option who we can try to develop.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Anyone saying a backup half isn’t worth 300k is surely having a laugh??
Fact is, he’s one medial, syndesmosis or origin series away from being an NRL starting half for a good swathe of time.
With his experience and commitment to the club, we should be super thankful to have someone of that calibre who ‘gets it’ and doesn’t harbour visions of grandeur and being a first choice elsewhere and commits to playing a very important role in this team.
You pay peanuts you get monkeys and Sammy W ain’t no primate.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Agree that $300k is nothing now. This is for a position that bares the brunt of responsibility and criticism for our performances, for a guy who's played ~100 FG games.

There's no way Sezer can stay as a back up with the wage he's on, it'd be bound to wreak havoc with our cap. I'm sure the club would have left some room to accomodate him in the scenario that he stays, but there would have to be a flow effect from that since they'd pretty much be banking on him leaving. If he was on ~8% of the cap when he signed, you better believe he's still on at least that now.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Sam either stays for minimum or he goes.
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: October 9, 2019, 8:17 pm Sam either stays for minimum or he goes.
That's ridiculous.

I know some people have a fundamental issue with Sam Williams, but every club needs a reasonable backup half and hooker. To say it's not worth investing 3-4% of your cap on players in these positions is ridiculous, unless you have an absolute gun coming through the juniors.

We have just entered a small premiership contending window. The club isn't going to piss that up the wall by having no backups in key positions.

If they let go of Sezer - which they should, after signing G Williams - get used to the idea of Sam Williams being our backup half. And get used to the idea he won't be getting paid the minimum wage.