Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer again linked to Huddersfield Giants

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: October 9, 2019, 8:17 pm Sam either stays for minimum or he goes.
Nah bruh. Won't be happening
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

The Roosters have Drew Hutchison and Lachlan Lam as the back up halves in their squad. I can pretty confidently say that they wouldn’t be paying either of them $300K.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think Aidan is selling himself a but short if he goes to Huddersfield. I think he showed enough in the finals to suggest he is a NRL starting half back.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RTW wrote: October 9, 2019, 9:19 pm The Roosters have Drew Hutchison and Lachlan Lam as the back up halves in their squad. I can pretty confidently say that they wouldn’t be paying either of them $300K.

They were also paying Tedesco and Cronk $2million between them.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I’m glad a lot of you blokes aren’t managing our cap, I’ll tell you that for minimum wage.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

In what world are you paying Sam Williams 300k to play for Mounties?

$150-180k max, the rest can top up big Jonneh

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hingano was probably on something like that.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Sam Willians does not command 300k. Sam Williams gets what Donny gives him. Is Don is good.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RTW wrote: October 9, 2019, 9:19 pm The Roosters have Drew Hutchison and Lachlan Lam as the back up halves in their squad. I can pretty confidently say that they wouldn’t be paying either of them $300K.

Spot on.
I mean we can go and pay Sam Williams 300+k a year because people like Sam... that’s fine
But then I don’t want a damn word when Don and Stick have to make a tough call on Someone like Beej

And we should probably at that point stop bitching about the salary sombrero’s too, the roosters aren’t going to keep anyone on their roster for sentimentality, let alone pay them overs.

Imagine sacrificing an impact player who you hope will play 24 games plus finals, in a starting position, so you can keep some 28 back up on gross overs because you like him

And it maybe we have to make a tough call Beej anyways, we haven’t got a prayer of keeping our squad in tact if you’re paying the back up 300+k

It’s exactly why it’s important we get off the Sezer contract.

This is a stars and scrubs sort of league as it relates to the cap... you sacrifice the scrubs (like Williams) so you can keep more of your stars (like Beej)
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

PigRickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 6:32 am

Spot on.
I mean we can go and pay Sam Williams 300+k a year because people like Sam... that’s fine
But then I don’t want a damn word when Don and Stick have to make a tough call on Someone like Beej

And we should probably at that point stop bitching about the salary sombrero’s too, the roosters aren’t going to keep anyone on their roster for sentimentality, let alone pay them overs.

Imagine sacrificing an impact player who you hope will play 24 games plus finals, in a starting position, so you can keep some 28 back up on gross overs because you like him

And it maybe we have to make a tough call Beej anyways, we haven’t got a prayer of keeping our squad in tact if you’re paying the back up 300+k

It’s exactly why it’s important we get off the Sezer contract.

This is a stars and scrubs sort of league as it relates to the cap... you sacrifice the scrubs (like Williams) so you can keep more of your stars (like Beej)
Spot on.
In addition to that you NEED a couple of players who are on the $150k type deal who play like a $3-400k player in order to get the most out of your cap. That player would end up needing an upgrade in years to come, and so the cycle goes. Egs - CNK, Horsburgh, Young.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, Williams' contract is up this year, isn't it? You either renew him on minimum wage or you move him on and rely on a younger bloke coming through. It's also important to move Sezer's contract on, and it looks like Rapana is either taking a haircut to stay or moving to Japanese rugby and coming back before June 30.

With all those savings you upgrade Bateman and try to keep BJ, which still might not be possible.

Like Pig said, if we're relying on our backup half for a large swathe of the season, we're probably **** anyway. Don't waste 150k on a contingency plan where it's needed elsewhere within your best 13.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Do you think $200K is enough to keep Sam Williams? Do you think that is too much to spend?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Sam doesn’t seem to have too many options tbh, and $110k a year to continue playing rugby league professionally in his home town is still a pretty good gig.

I doubt he has many options outside of rugby league that will pay him that type of money.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I reckon people just get some random, arbitrary figures stuck in their heads for years to form the basis of their assumptions, without ever adjusting those figures when the associated variables change.

We know the following:

- Base cap this year was $9.2 million for the top 30 players. That makes the average salary $306,000.
- For players 1-26 the minimum wage was $105,000 p.a. For players 27-30, the minimum wage was $72,500 p.a.
- Williams had to be pried from the Super League where he was starting for Wakefield Trinity
- He would still start in the Super League
- Pretty much every single official report that ever comes out about the cap sees us spending at the limit or over

The following is a list of players that would've been earning less than Sam Williams this year (almost beyond doubt):

JJ Collins
Young
Oldfield
Hingano
Abbey
Murchie
Porter
L Bateman
Hunt
Kris
Lui
Horsburgh
CNK
Simonsson

There's 14 players there. For argument's sake I've bolded the four players who could be 27-30. That's leaves 10 players who must earn a minimum of $105k.

So those all being 'minimum wage' players and Sam not being below them, there is not one chance a halfback of his ability and experience gets paid as low as $150k, nor does he agree to take a substantial wage reduction like the one proposed when he can easily get an SL gig.

That'd also leave something like $500k per player spread out between the rest of group which includes the likes of Guler, Havili, Sutton, Rapana (i.e. guys who would not be paid near that).

Absolute dreamland.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

i dont care what he thinks hes worth. im not of the opinion that we should be paying above the minimum wage for a bloke we hope never plays. im paying minimum wage for a bloke who we can just slot in and make his tackles before i waste money on a more creative half who cant tackle.
if another club wants to pay for a half like sam then they are more than welcome to him.
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Thankfully you have nothing to do with running the club whatsoever.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

oh, does someone here have something to do with running the club?
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:48 am oh, does someone here have something to do with running the club?
I'm pretty sure afghgktktlh is a big wheel down at the Canberra Raiders factory.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:55 am
simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:48 am oh, does someone here have something to do with running the club?
I'm pretty sure afghgktktlh is a big wheel down at the Canberra Raiders factory.
Yep, youd have to think he was a massive contributor to us making sezer play reggies for the last few seasons.
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seems that the poor Sezer-ites are taking their final, parting jabs. Shhhh, not long to go now - it's almost over.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:02 pm Seems that the poor Sezer-ites are taking their final, parting jabs. Shhhh, not long to go now - it's almost over.
I really don't understand how what we're paying Sam Williams next season if he plays on has anything to do with being a poor Sezer-ite.

You really have a strange obsession where you link everything back to him. It's truly bizarre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:02 pm Seems that the poor Sezer-ites are taking their final, parting jabs. Shhhh, not long to go now - it's almost over.
It was over 6 months ago, friend
Spoiler alert Team Sammy lost.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Poor old predictable afgghktk, always chooses sezer hate
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Oh boy they are MAD :lol:

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:07 pm
I really don't understand how what we're paying Sam Williams next season if he plays on has anything to do with being a poor Sezer-ite.

You really have a strange obsession where you link everything back to him. It's truly bizarre.
What thread are you posting in right now?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Advocating paying Sam Williams $300k+ a year as an insurance policy... Let's assume we pay George and Wighton 1.5mil per year combined.

Which we wont be btw, that's grossly overstated...
But lets say our halves have a value of 1.5m

$300k+ would be 20% of that value... guys, if we're paying 20% of the value of our assets for insurance, we need a new **** policy
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:10 pm Oh boy they are MAD :lol:

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:07 pm

What thread are you posting in right now?
Aidan Sezer needs to be moved on... the discussion then naturally went to what we're paying Williams! What I feel Williams is worth in our current salary cap (minimum wage) has literally ZERO to do with Aidan Sezer.

You have a genuine illness.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Last figures had Jack at $800k IIRC. He'd probably command other bonuses now being a rep player. George wouldn't be here for peanuts - that 1.5m is actually very realistic.

I'm not advocating specifically for Sam Williams to be the one and only that can be signed as a back up half. I'm saying whether it's him or someone else, a decent back up half is needed. It's one player. That's what the rate is and you won't get them at minimum wage.

That you guys in the Williams hate clique can't stand to see him play for us at all is your problem, not mine.
Last edited by afgtnk on October 10, 2019, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:17 pm Last figures had Jack at $800k. He'd probably command other bonuses now being a rep players. George wouldn't be here for peanuts - that 1.5m is actually very realistic.

I'm not advocating specifically for Sam Williams to be the one and only signed as a back up half. I'm saying whether it's him or someone else, a decent back up half is needed. It's one player. That's what the rate is and you won't get them at minimum wage.

That you guys in the Williams hate clique can't stand to see him play for us at all is your problem, not mine.
This is so weird, I've never hated Sam Williams, in fact I've always been a strong advocate for him and had him in my team earlier in the season ahead of Aidan Sezer. I just changed my mind when it became obvious Sezer was a better man for the role, and it turned out this was the correct call, seeing as we made a grand **** final and very near won it.

The fact you can only see these things in black and white and can't adjust your own thinking is a strong personality flaw.
Last edited by The Nickman on October 10, 2019, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:13 pm Advocating paying Sam Williams $300k+ a year as an insurance policy... Let's assume we pay George and Wighton 1.5mil per year combined.

Which we wont be btw, that's grossly overstated...
But lets say our halves have a value of 1.5m

$300k+ would be 20% of that value... guys, if we're paying 20% of the value of our assets for insurance, we need a new **** policy
its not quite an insurance policy. an insurance policy would get us a comparable asset. this is more like paying 300k for a hyundai excel in case your ferrari breaks down.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

no one hates williams do they? id hate to be paying 300k for williams. thats a fair bit different
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:19 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:17 pm Last figures had Jack at $800k. He'd probably command other bonuses now being a rep players. George wouldn't be here for peanuts - that 1.5m is actually very realistic.

I'm not advocating specifically for Sam Williams to be the one and only signed as a back up half. I'm saying whether it's him or someone else, a decent back up half is needed. It's one player. That's what the rate is and you won't get them at minimum wage.

This is so weird, I've never hated Sam Williams, in fact I've always been a strong advocate for him and had him in my team earlier in the season ahead of Aidan Sezer. I just changed my mind when it became obvious Sezer was a better man for the role, and it turned out this was the correct call, seeing as we made a grand **** final and very near won it.

The fact you can only see these things in black and white and can't adjust your own thinking is a strong personality flaw.
- Accuses poster of making thread about Sezer in a Sezer thread

- Is the only one banging on about Sezer in thread
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

300k for sam williams would be absolutely nuts. Especially given who we are currently upgrading / retaining.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:21 pm no one hates williams do they? id hate to be paying 300k for williams. thats a fair bit different
I've always liked Williams, had a lot of time for him, I've met him, he's a lovely guy. But I just feel with our current squad and cap situation, he's not worth more than 180k tops. If he needs a price-tag higher than that then I'd take a punt on a younger replacement or even use Hodgson in the halves if the unthinkable happens.

Not sure how this all equates to "Williams hate", but I guess some guys can't change their opinion and have to rigidly fight the same battle they're wedded to for the rest of their existence.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:22 pm
The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:19 pm

- Accuses poster of making thread about Sezer in a Sezer thread

- Is the only one banging on about Sezer in thread
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer again linked to Huddersfield Giants

Post by RTW »

I go back to the Rooster because they do it perfectly and because they are a successful club that juniors want to be a part of.

You pay your back up half minimum wage and convince them that you are doing them a favour and giving them an opportunity to learn from the best. The back up half gets a few shots during the year where they just have to hold their own. In these games the rest of your spine has to step up.

At the end of the year you make a judgement call on them. If they lived up to expectations you string them along with the promise of more games next year, injuries, origin bide your time, learn from the best etc.

After a couple of seasons of this they force their way into the team or you become the “good guys” by releasing them so they get an opportunity to play.

If Sam wants to stay and play for a small wage and a future job In the leagues club great. If not we are at the best point in a long time to sell the same lie that the Roosters do.

Last edited by RTW on October 10, 2019, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.