13%
Panthers 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 19 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders John Bateman wants Viiame Kikau to beat charge so they can renew rivalry

Some Canberra fans might be hoping Viliame Kikau is rubbed out by the judiciary for Sunday's clash at Panthers Stadium but second-rower John Bateman wants to mark up against his opposite number.

"I won't say I want retribution against him, but I look forward to playing against him. Hopefully he's cleared because he's a good player. They've got a good side and they've been showing that the last few weeks."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/21/bat ... w-rivalry/
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Panthers might want to employ similar tactics to the tigers. Dont give Wighton any room, and attack the edges.
I'm struggling to work out our best strategy in offense... Go wide is my main thought.
In any case, really well executed kicking game and good options on the 5th super important this week.
It would really mean something to win this game.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2019, 9:34 pm Canberra Raiders John Bateman wants Viiame Kikau to beat charge so they can renew rivalry

Some Canberra fans might be hoping Viliame Kikau is rubbed out by the judiciary for Sunday's clash at Panthers Stadium but second-rower John Bateman wants to mark up against his opposite number.

"I won't say I want retribution against him, but I look forward to playing against him. Hopefully he's cleared because he's a good player. They've got a good side and they've been showing that the last few weeks."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/21/bat ... w-rivalry/
Love the last line hereabout CNK pushing through the pain barrier

“That's what you want from your team and it inspires the rest of us and for a young kid, he's only 23 so he's got so much improvement left in him.

"But he's been so good for us this year, mind you, he needs to get that hair cut."
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This will be tight. Penwiff are playing well and in front of their bogan fans they'll be pumped.

Very important couple of weeks before playing Storm and Roosters

Short turnarounds + plenty of travel(which will be delayed of course)

We"ll throw our best at Penwiff(not us, them). They'll know they're in a game for sure..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

We 100% need to win at least 1 of our next 2 considering our run home. If we lose this week, going into a 5 day turnaround where we have to travel overseas is a very difficult task (the NRL really looked after us here, wow).

We probably have to win 4 of 7 to stay Top 4.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Wow 7 games left? Well you're right .. plenty of chance to either consolidate our position or for things to fall off the rails if we're not careful

Nevertheless I agree about having to win one of one of the next two matches.

5 day turnarounds at this time of year are ridiculous
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m on the Hudson Young playing Mounties boat. The only way I’d bring him in is if CNK needs a week off or there’s an injury in the forwards.

I think he’s ahead of Guler while Sutton is out but 1 or 2 weeks of big minutes in Mounties should get him back on track. You hear everyone say how some time off can freshen you up etc but match fitness is under rated. 8 weeks off followed by a few weeks of 10-20 minute stints could leave him short in the big games back of season if he’s required to step up imo.

So that theory also means he can’t be 18th man. Collins or Murchie can do that and come in last minute if necessary.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

We looked tired in that second half of the Tigers game. I hope this is due to the coaching staff increasing the training load now as we go into Finals - often around this time you will see the top teams have a couple of losses to teams lower than them on the ladder as they try and coordinate training to get the players to physically peak during the finals.

The Panthers are due for a loss and, though they have won, they have honestly not played great during their winning streak. They have faced some sides weakened during Origin, I think their run has slightly flattered them. In saying that, they have a style that troubles us when they get their second phase going.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

TongueFTW wrote: July 22, 2019, 10:00 am We looked tired in that second half of the Tigers game. I hope this is due to the coaching staff increasing the training load now as we go into Finals - often around this time you will see the top teams have a couple of losses to teams lower than them on the ladder as they try and coordinate training to get the players to physically peak during the finals.

The Panthers are due for a loss and, though they have won, they have honestly not played great during their winning streak. They have faced some sides weakened during Origin, I think their run has slightly flattered them. In saying that, they have a style that troubles us when they get their second phase going.
2 really good points here - hope you are right in regards to training volume - I hadnt through of that - cant believe we are actually at that point in the season!

But the point on the Panthers and their second phase play is a point I had been mulling over for the last couple of weeks. Our last 3 games we have got out to big leads only to have teams come back at us to differing levels. I think a big component of this trait is that opposition teams get to the point in a match where they have to throw the game plan out and play ad lib footy, and that worries us. Loose, unstructured play is hurting us (although from what I got to see of the weekends match, our defence held out amazingly well against the Tigers) and if there are 2 teams in the comp capable of playing well with loose, unstructured second phase play its the Panthers and the Warriors.

Crucial 2 games for us.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

TongueFTW wrote: July 22, 2019, 10:00 am We looked tired in that second half of the Tigers game. I hope this is due to the coaching staff increasing the training load now as we go into Finals - often around this time you will see the top teams have a couple of losses to teams lower than them on the ladder as they try and coordinate training to get the players to physically peak during the finals.

Their draw has flattered them and the last 2 sides they played turned in absolutely terrible performances on the day but they've been able to chug along and get a lot of confidence up. They've got an easy run home too. If we lose this one they could be the side to push us out of the top 4.
Better sides like Manly have the Storm twice in their run home. Parra and the Knights will continue to go up and down in form. The knights are really too far away now.

I'm confident we can score points against them but they've got more strike power than the Tigers so there's going to be some tries that we just can't stop. Without weapons like Cotric in the side our ball control is going to be key.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2019, 5:27 pm Canberra Raiders a Sterling NRL title threat

They're fourth on the NRL ladder, they're the second best defence in the competition and now four-time premiers
hip hero Peter Sterling says the Canberra Raiders are a threat in the 2019 title race.

"I wouldn't want to be playing them," Peter Sterling said. "They're a really consistent football side that has a lot of talent there. A guy like Simonsson has come in and done a great job. They're a threat."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Erin Molan asks the question on all Raiders fans' lips:
https://twitter.com/NRLonNine/status/11 ... 6054299650

Raiders legends re-live 1989 decider:
https://twitter.com/NRLonNine/status/11 ... 3864903680
I seem to recall Sterling getting on board early in 2016 as well and possibly talking us up pre-season in other years. Is he a closet Raiders fan or does he just throw predictions out everywhere about all teams knowing that one or two will likely eventuate?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson emerges as NRL nines World Cup prospect

Rookie Canberra Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson could emerge as New Zealand's hidden gem for the nines World Cup on October 18-19 at Western Sydney Stadium.

"I'd love to play nines, but I'm not even thinking about that at all. I'm just thinking about playing for the Raiders each week and the next training session, the next game, that's all I can do.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Oldfield and Canberra Raiders prepare for major Penrith Panthers test

The Raiders are looking to force their way into the top two by season's end and in their way is a Penrith outfit riding a seven-game winning streak.

"They're hitting some great form, Penrith, they've got such a strong squad," former Panther Michael Oldfield said. "I knew from the outside looking in, it was always bound to click."

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Coastalraider wrote: July 22, 2019, 11:11 am

2 really good points here - hope you are right in regards to training volume - I hadnt through of that - cant believe we are actually at that point in the season!

But the point on the Panthers and their second phase play is a point I had been mulling over for the last couple of weeks. Our last 3 games we have got out to big leads only to have teams come back at us to differing levels. I think a big component of this trait is that opposition teams get to the point in a match where they have to throw the game plan out and play ad lib footy, and that worries us. Loose, unstructured play is hurting us (although from what I got to see of the weekends match, our defence held out amazingly well against the Tigers) and if there are 2 teams in the comp capable of playing well with loose, unstructured second phase play its the Panthers and the Warriors.

Crucial 2 games for us.
Agree with you both but loose, unstructured play bothers everyone, which is why any team chasing a big lead seems to go okay. How many ordinary Raiders sides had a flash of brilliance after falling well behind early to get us all momentarily excited, only to fall short of catching the good teams most times?

The key is we’ve learned how to not actually lose them like the Storm and other perennially successful teams, and it’s now our opponents ruing their failure to compete early in the match.

A Tigers mate of mine sent me a text after the game to say he thought they should’ve got us. I said yep but you didn’t.

Panthers will be bloody tough but so will we.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Machine on red alert for reborn Panthers

Back in round eight, the Canberra Raiders handed Penrith one of their most damaging losses of the season in Wagga. Fast forward to round 19 and the Panthers are riding a seven-game winning streak.

"The Panthers have been in red-hot form so it's going to be a tough game for us, but we're confident we can go up there and get the job done," Bailey Simonsson said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/22/gre ... -panthers/

Video: The Inside The NRL team cross to the nation's capital to hear from Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/inside-the ... ky-stuart/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Michael Oldfield and Bailey Simonsson on the win over the Tigers and the coming clash with the Panthers. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/wU7K50v7xyZ

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

British steel: Canberra Raiders recruiting strategy pays off big time

If the Raiders can end their 25-year premiership drought and qualify for next year’s World Club Challenge, it will guarantee the biggest international club fixture since the Broncos hosted Wigan before a crowd of 54,220 in 1994.

“We have had to look elsewhere and that seems to be working really well,” Canberra CEO Don Furner said. “They fit in really well here. Whilst we do have cold weather and we are not Sydney, we do have other benefits.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/22/bri ... -big-time/
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This is shaping as a proper heavyweight clash.

While some might seem wary of being handed a reality check, it could also operate as a reality check for Penrith.

You aren’t going to score points on us as easily as against the Dragons.

Should be a cracking game.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’ve confidently predicted the raiders would run up big scores the last two weeks and really bury the Dragons and Tigers - that hasn’t happened. I’m a lot more nervous about this game against the Panthers which will most likely mean the raiders will put a cricket score on them. I hope so...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Well we did against St George we missed a lot of goals
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

When do we find out if Kikau beats his charge? Obviously a boost if he’s out but I think I’d rather him play to see the rivalry with Bateman continue and because we want to see where we stand against teams at full strength.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

julian87 wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:41 am Well we did against St George we missed a lot of goals
Yeah I was thinking on the weekend, people were harping on about how Penrith "Smashed' the Dragons - 40-18. We were clinical against them for the most part - and without the wind would have had a much better score differential than the 36-14 (same differential as panthers) we ended up having.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kikau headed to judiciary

Kikau will go to the judiciary tonight after being cited for a shoulder charge on Dragons halfback Darren Nicholls in Penrith's 40-18 win. The Panthers announced the challenge on Twitter on Monday. If he fails in his bid to beat the charge he will incur a two-match suspension.

Read more and video:https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/19/rou ... acing-ban/

Views on the shoulder charge and the odds of getting off?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders short of the top three: Craig Wing

The challengers

Canberra are rightfully the top of this tier and the most likely to challenge the top three teams. They play a tough, gritty style, they have their defence in order and they have mostly shaken off their habit of losing close games.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/23/whe ... -equation/
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Kikau is unlucky to be facing 2 weeks for that. The view from the back looks bad but in the front view his arm is wrapping around the player as contact is made. From my perspective that is just a good hard tackle and he should be free to play.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Panthers

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Sunday 28 July 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:30am
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers 11:45am
NSW Cup: Mounties V Penrith Panthers 1:50pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Sunday afternoons match against the Panthers at Panthers Stadium.

Josh Papalii moves back into the starting team, with Dunamis Lui shifting to the interchange bench. There are no further changes to the team who defeated the Tigers on Saturday.

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui

18. Sam Williams
19. Royce Hunt
20. Sebastian Kris
21. JJ Collins

Injury/Suspension

Nick Cotric (Suspended) Round 21
Ryan Sutton (Calf) Round 21-23
Ata Hingano (Thumb) Round 20-22
Joey Leilua (Neck) Indefinite
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 20-21
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Brent Naden
5. Brian To'o
6. James Maloney
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Mitch Kenny
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Frank Winterstein
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Wayde Egan
15. Jarome Luai
16. Moses Leota
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard

18. Jed Cartwright
19. Spencer Leniu
20. Stephen Crichton
21. Liam Martin

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, David Munro
Sideline Officials: Tim Roby, Liam Nicholls
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

pickles wrote: July 23, 2019, 2:49 pm Kikau is unlucky to be facing 2 weeks for that.
Agree, not much in that at all. The hit was late and he got binned for the lateness which is what the refs have been cracking down on. As you say, it must only barely have qualified as a shoulder charge. Shouldn't be rubbed out for that.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2019 Rd 19 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by IBG »

Kudos to Brent Naden too, he's been an absolute revelation for them. Was in the Mounties system for a while if I'm not mistaken. Big, fast, skillful kid.

Kinda feel for Lui, had probably his best game of the season and got dropped to the bench lol. But Sia definitely deserves to start based off his energy in the last 2 games.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I like Lui I really do. But I see him as more of a depth forward. One a good team is very lucky to have. I’m happy to have him in the team at the moment but for me once Sutton and Young are back in the side I think he makes way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Both Soliola and Lui had arguably their best game of the season. One ran for 147m, the other made 68m and was 10% less effective in defense. Depending on how you want to balance your side it's a pretty straight forward decision this week.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, David Munro
Sideline Officials: Tim Roby, Liam Nicholls
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Yay..... looking forwards to this...... :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL: Aidan Sezer and Canberra Raiders poised for epic Penrith Panthers battle

Canberra Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer has broken the shackles and surged into near career-best form and outperforming a State of Origin pairing looms as his next assignment.

"As long as we play our game and we complete and finish where we want to finish, we should keep them a bit more quiet. Not letting them get into the game as much as they want to do, will help us towards winning the game," Elliott Whitehead said.

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Big vote of confidence in Oldfield despite his errors in attack against the Tigers. There must have been some temptation to bring back Seb Kris and I would not be surprised if he's a late switch.

That said, Oldfield has a habit of making long breaks near the middle and has the respect and confidence of his team mates. That goes a long way towards keeping a solid defensive line.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Sia Soliola on the upcoming clash with the Penrith Panthers. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/V7y650v8Nzk

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr