Panthers 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 19 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by GreenMachine »

Great segment on the Matty Johns podcast about the Raiders, impact of our historical key signings (like Mal) and development of Ricky as a coach over his career.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I wrote this story for a reason. It’s supposed to go straight up on the wall at Raiders HQ!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:06 pm Great segment on the Matty Johns podcast about the Raiders, impact of our historical key signings (like Mal) and development of Ricky as a coach over his career.
Wasn’t bad. Nothing that anyone on this forum wasn’t saying many months ago.

Kent told a story, he claimed John McIntyre told him:

The Raiders were putting up new goal posts at Seiffert... didn’t know how high to put the cross bar. They rang the SFS to ask how high they had theirs and did that.

Benny Elias missed the field goal in 1989... and it hit the crossbar.

McIntyre says they checked later... and they had their crossbar 2 inches higher than it should have been... suggesting the SFS had theirs two inches too high. And if the Elias field goal had gone over, it wouldn’t have been extra time.

Now I don’t really believe that. I think the more likely thing is the SFS had theirs right... and we had ours wrong.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:This is perfect. Ricky cultivated an ‘us vs everyone else’ mentality to perfection in 2016, a ‘nobody rates us, let’s show them’ type of team spirit.

Keep these coming.
And they backed that up beautifully in 2017-18 by proving WHY nobody should rate them

Let’s hope for no encore in 2020-21
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Neeeegz wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
Coastalraider wrote: July 24, 2019, 5:32 pm This is perfect. Ricky cultivated an ‘us vs everyone else’ mentality to perfection in 2016, a ‘nobody rates us, let’s show them’ type of team spirit.

Keep these coming.
Yep, love it. Stick it on the wall.

Sure these motivations only last so long but use 'em while you got em. Every time someone writes us off= up on the wall it goes...
Now that's raider talk that I can understand. That's what made me follow this club from when they came into the comp. The tradesman attitude, and if a team beat us. They were gonna be sore the next day. We have found a way to just win, have a positive 110 ish .fa. we could of blown teams away, Hodgo keeps bashing it up the middle...
We still have another gear or two I believe. Our premiership window is open.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I’m not sure about that. We definitely had a Tradesman attitude in 2017 and 2018.

. Promise to turn up but don’t actually show.
. Deliver on half what is promised at double the salary.
. Left a big mess for someone to have to come and clean up later.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:24 am
Neeeegz wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
Coastalraider wrote: July 24, 2019, 5:32 pm This is perfect. Ricky cultivated an ‘us vs everyone else’ mentality to perfection in 2016, a ‘nobody rates us, let’s show them’ type of team spirit.

Keep these coming.

Sure these motivations only last so long but use 'em while you got em. Every time someone writes us off= up on the wall it goes...
Now that's raider talk that I can understand. That's what made me follow this club from when they came into the comp. The tradesman attitude, and if a team beat us. They were gonna be sore the next day. We have found a way to just win, have a positive 110 ish .fa. we could of blown teams away, Hodgo keeps bashing it up the middle...

I’m not sure about that. We definitely had a Tradesman attitude in 2017 and 2018.

And then blame everyone else (the refs, the NRL, the opposition coaches) when the job wasn't done properly.

Thank John we've moved on from that kind of attitude in 2019 (well, the players and coach have, not sure of the fans).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The fans don't have to do anything other than be fans. They don't have to do it in line with the Nickman rules for being a fan.

In fact, if the fans see their team isn't being treated fairly by the NRL, and if they care enough about their team to point out when they are not competing on a level playing field... I say good on them! That's just putting deserved pressure on the NRL to be accountable for their actions and policies.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:49 am The fans don't have to do anything other than be fans. They don't have to do it in line with the Nickman rules for being a fan.

In fact, if the fans see their team isn't being treated fairly by the NRL, and if they care enough about their team to point out when they are not competing on a level playing field... I say good on them! That's just putting deserved pressure on the NRL to be accountable for their actions and policies.
Well of course you'd get on the defensive, you were the main person I was thinking of!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola is heart and soul of the Green Machine, says Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart believes Canberra will have extra ammunition to earn victory against the red-hot Panthers, with the club's spiritual leader Sia Soliola celebrating his 100th game in the green jersey.

"The things he does around the headquarters, around the team and outside his contributions on the field is enormous. Hopefully Sia is going to be a big part of the club for a long time to come."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/25/sia ... ys-stuart/

Ricky Stuart hopes to see Sia Soliola in green long term

Ricky Stuart and Sia Soliola's relationship goes beyond just coach and player, which is why he hopes his prop's time with the Canberra Raiders goes beyond his playing days.

"I've known him since he was 17 and our relationship is a lot more than player-coach.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Stuart: I hope he stays at the club for a long time: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... long-time/

VIDEO: The Penrith Panthers can make it eight straight victories on Sunday afternoon when they host the Canberra Raiders. Sam Squiers and Matthew Elliott preview the final match of Round 19: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/25/pan ... -round-19/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Panthers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33499

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... -panthers/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders wrapping Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad in cotton wool

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart says every NRL club has a select few players they can't afford to lose and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is one of them.

"He's okay, that's the way he plays, a physical style of game and he gets knocked around a bit but he's a tough kid and he's handling it very well," Stuart said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-w ... 1ba2f78319
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 12:15 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:49 am The fans don't have to do anything other than be fans. They don't have to do it in line with the Nickman rules for being a fan.

Well of course you'd get on the defensive, you were the main person I was thinking of!
Not on the defensive. Just pointing out that there is absolute sense in coach, players and club taking a "no excuses" approach. To not blame officiating decisions etc for losses. For taking accountability, for focusing on things they can control, and not on the things they can't. That's the best way to maximise performance. That's the best way to get the players' heads right.

But the fans... well we're not the ones playing on the field! We're quite entitled to question officiating decisions if we think they're wrong. We're quite entitled to point out where the NRL's policies and decisions unfairly disadvantage our team. Indeed... sticking up for our club in this way may well be advantageous.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2019, 2:30 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 12:15 pm

Not on the defensive. Just pointing out that there is absolute sense in coach, players and club taking a "no excuses" approach. To not blame officiating decisions etc for losses. For taking accountability, for focusing on things they can control, and not on the things they can't. That's the best way to maximise performance. That's the best way to get the players' heads right.

But the fans... well we're not the ones playing on the field! We're quite entitled to question officiating decisions if we think they're wrong. We're quite entitled to point out where the NRL's policies and decisions unfairly disadvantage our team. Indeed... sticking up for our club in this way may well be advantageous.
Righto, righto, stop getting so angry!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm quite calm :rant :rant :rant .
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just wish you'd stop telling me how to fan, Fergus. If I want to fan by telling other fans how to fan you should let me fan!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The 30-year omen and ‘second most important signing’ that says the Canberra Raiders are ready for another title: Matthew Johns

Matty Johns says all the signs are pointing towards Canberra being on the cusp of another era of dominance in the NRL.

“One of the cornerstones of all their successful eras has been not just recruitment, but clever, outside the box recruitment,” Johns said. “I would put Hodgson second only to Mal Meninga in their most important ever signings.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 93f72ba490

Revealed: The illegal cross bar which robbed Balmain’s Benny Elias of 1989 glory: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 873e4760f7
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've always liked Matty Johns.

We all do now.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

BJ wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

Keep these coming.

Sounds like you pick tradesman that give the cheapest quote. Skilled labor isn't cheap. Cheap labour isn't skilled.
You could not of sounded more like a public servant if you tried.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Get 'im, Neeeeeegz!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Haha, Neeeegz wins that one. :clap:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Quality
Cheap
Reliable
Choose two
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Neeeegz wrote:
BJ wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

Keep these coming.

Sounds like you pick tradesman that give the cheapest quote. Skilled labor isn't cheap. Cheap labour isn't skilled.

Not a public servant. Just making a cheap joke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders face third toughest run to the finals

NRL.com Stats has crunched the numbers to measure the strength of schedule across all 16 NRL clubs based on their remaining seven games. Canberra have the third strongest schedule to face according to the data.

The Raiders are well-placed in the top four but their premiership credentials are likely to be tested early with back-to-back clashes against Melbourne and Sydney Roosters from round 21.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/25/str ... to-finals/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad pleasantly surprises Gary Belcher

The Raiders' greatest fullback Gary Belcher did not realise how good Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was going to be.

"I didn't realise, I think everyone's the same, [Raiders coach Ricky Stuart] said he didn't realise what they got when they brought him over," Belcher said. "I've been surprised how good he is, pleasantly surprised.

Legends walk among us: Comparing the 1989 and 2019 Raiders teams: https://aboutregional.com.au/legends-wa ... ers-teams/
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

BJ wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
BJ wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
BadnMean wrote: Yep, love it. Stick it on the wall.

ImageImageImage lowest quote wins again

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on the clash with the Penrith Panthers! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/g6pn50vbjOD

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:54 am
Coastalraider wrote:This is perfect. Ricky cultivated an ‘us vs everyone else’ mentality to perfection in 2016, a ‘nobody rates us, let’s show them’ type of team spirit.

Keep these coming.
And they backed that up beautifully in 2017-18 by proving WHY nobody should rate them

Agreed Rickman and we have a history of doing it. Remember the 'This Time Its Personal' mantra for the 1991 Grand Final. The line was taken from the worst of the Jaws movies. We went down in that Grand Final and for a variety of reasons did not feature in Grand Finals in 1992 or 93 despite having a strong roster. (Awaits, but Ricky broke his leg before the finals in '93 - yep it was Sheens biggest blunder in not getting Sticky off the field when we had a 30 point lead over the Eels, let alone not getting him off the field when we had a 40 point lead or 50 point lead etc. etc.). If we need this type of motivation we've already lost imo. We just need to turn up with the motivation that 'with or without the ball' we have the skill to win this Competition. Then demonstrate those skills. Being angry at everything is a waste of energy and diverts from what should be the goal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:19 am

Keep these coming.

Agreed Rickman and we have a history of doing it. Remember the 'This Time Its Personal' mantra for the 1991 Grand Final. The line was taken from the worst of the Jaws movies. We went down in that Grand Final and for a variety of reasons did not feature in Grand Finals in 1992 or 93 despite having a strong roster. (Awaits, but Ricky broke his leg before the finals in '93 - yep it was Sheens biggest blunder in not getting Sticky off the field when we had a 30 point lead over the Eels, let alone not getting him off the field when we had a 40 point lead or 50 point lead etc. etc.). If we need this type of motivation we've already lost imo. We just need to turn up with the motivation that 'with or without the ball' we have the skill to win this Competition. Then demonstrate those skills. Being angry at everything is a waste of energy and diverts from what should be the goal.
Haha nah I really don't, Red... I was 11 at the time.

But I DO remember *checks notes* 2009, 2011, 2013 etc etc
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ah 2011

"If we sign Orford we'll be top 4"

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: July 26, 2019, 12:14 pm Ah 2011

And was 2013 the beards debarkle?? I'm still furious at that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I remember Red.

I don’t mind a good motivational coaching trick. Even Wayne Bennett does it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 26, 2019, 12:14 pm Ah 2011

And was 2013 the beards debarkle?? I'm still furious at that.
Dugan phoning it in against Penrith then cruisergate

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Training Gallery: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... -panthers/
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

Keep these coming.

I firmly believed our 'window' had opened up in 2016. Such a massive shame to waste those two years.

Age, experience and a dusting of pom leaves us in a more robust position now.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Neeeegz wrote:
BJ wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
BJ wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:Now that's raider talk that I can understand. That's what made me follow this club from when they came into the comp. The tradesman attitude, and if a team beat us. They were gonna be sore the next day. We have found a way to just win, have a positive 110 ish .fa. we could of blown teams away, Hodgo keeps bashing it up the middle...

ImageImageImage lowest quote wins again

Ha. Took me a while to get it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unsung hero crucial part of Canberra Raiders' climb

He's the unsung hero of the Canberra Raiders pack and Sia Soliola credits him as one of the reasons they've climbed into the top four. Dunamis Lui just gets on with his job.

"He's really important. He's definitely one of the most consistent for the last couple of years," Soliola said of Lui.

“I regret I didn’t finish my career in green” - Todd Carney glad to be back in Canberra Raiders' fold after attending Forever Green reunion: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280