Panthers 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Rd 19 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Northern Raider »

Seb Kris named as a reserve. At this stage I'd prefer him at centre ahead of Oldy. Reverse that of we need a winger.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Rd 19 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

jozzas wrote: July 23, 2019, 3:44 pm
pickles wrote: July 23, 2019, 2:49 pm Kikau is unlucky to be facing 2 weeks for that.
Agree, not much in that at all. The hit was late and he got binned for the lateness which is what the refs have been cracking down on. As you say, it must only barely have qualified as a shoulder charge. Shouldn't be rubbed out for that.
Mark me down for this too. As much as I'd like to see Kikau missing I don't want players suspended for what he did. Penalty and sin bin enough punishment.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

IBG wrote:Kudos to Brent Naden too, he's been an absolute revelation for them. Was in the Mounties system for a while if I'm not mistaken. Big, fast, skillful kid.

Kinda feel for Lui, had probably his best game of the season and got dropped to the bench lol. But Sia definitely deserves to start based off his energy in the last 2 games.
Naden was one of our under 20s in the last year of toyota cup I'm pretty sure, good to see him step up, I always like seeing our juniors step up

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:22 pm
pickles wrote: July 23, 2019, 2:49 pm Kikau is unlucky to be facing 2 weeks for that.
Agree, not much in that at all. The hit was late and he got binned for the lateness which is what the refs have been cracking down on. As you say, it must only barely have qualified as a shoulder charge. Shouldn't be rubbed out for that.
Mark me down for this too. As much as I'd like to see Kikau missing I don't want players suspended for what he did. Penalty and sin bin enough punishment.
It was barely a penalty, absolutely not a sin bin, should not have been cited and has no business being charged or suspended

All that being said, the judicary needs to send a message and deliver a week suspension and only a week for his henious act.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

zim wrote:Both Soliola and Lui had arguably their best game of the season. One ran for 147m, the other made 68m and was 10% less effective in defense. Depending on how you want to balance your side it's a pretty straight forward decision this week.
Lui does a lot of hard work and I think should start, sia is great to start also, but for balance on the bench I would pick sia, and when he comes on around 20-25 minutes in, lead the line speed, run hard. Inspire the boys, papa has helped off the bench, very important these days in my opinion, but starts this game.

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Well then the judiciary has given him a two week holiday

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:22 pm
It was barely a penalty, absolutely not a sin bin, should not have been cited and has no business being charged or suspended

All that being said, the judicary needs to send a message and deliver a week suspension and only a week for his henious act.
I dislike agreeing with you, but here I am. True. Hardly a penalty I'd say, I've seen that happen more times than I can count and nothing happens

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kikau banned for two matches

Panthers back-rower Viliame Kikau will not play before his hometown crowd when they face the red-hot Raiders at Penrith Stadium on Sunday after being found guilty of a grade one shoulder charge at Tuesday night's judiciary hearing.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/19/rou ... acing-ban/
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Boom. Ill take it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:49 pm Boom. Ill take it.
I'm happy with that too.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

No kickcow...our chances of winning just increased dramatically.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:49 pm Boom. Ill take it.
Yeah no tears from me. Would have loved to toweled them up with Kikau in the team with Bateman running over him all day but so be it!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Brewdle wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:43 pm Well then the judiciary has given him a two week holiday

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Happy for us. Unhappy for rugby league.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This point was made by a poster over at LU, and with the caveat that is more complicated than this, but the NRL MRC and Judicary system has Kikau sitting 2 weeks for his tackle and Cotric 3 weeks for his.
Feels like a system that throws up that result might need a rethink.
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

That judiciary decision re: Kikau is a farce

Barely a penalty
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Lucky wrote:No kickcow...our chances of winning just increased dramatically.
That's a 2017/18 mentality and we don't do that this year ok... cheers

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:This point was made by a poster over at LU, and with the caveat that is more complicated than this, but the NRL MRC and Judicary system has Kikau sitting 2 weeks for his tackle and Cotric 3 weeks for his.
Stop posting stuff I agree with !!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:12 pm
PigRickman wrote:This point was made by a poster over at LU, and with the caveat that is more complicated than this, but the NRL MRC and Judicary system has Kikau sitting 2 weeks for his tackle and Cotric 3 weeks for his.

I really like reality TV. The trashy ****.
Honestly. I love it

That'll sort this problem out Neeegz :lol:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Was it a penalty? No. Was it worthy of a sin bin? No. Was it worthy of being cited by the MRC? No. Was it worthy of a suspension? Hell no. Am I happy he's not playing against us this weekend? Absolutely.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Kind of makes up for the bad suspensions we've copped. And suspensions for other teams AFTER they've played us.

Sent from my Mi A1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Kikau got 2 weeks for something that was barely a penalty. Fifita gets 1 week for a blatant shoulder charge on a player off the ball. Total farce.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This decision makes John Bateman sad...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:04 pm This point was made by a poster over at LU, and with the caveat that is more complicated than this, but the NRL MRC and Judicary system has Kikau sitting 2 weeks for his tackle and Cotric 3 weeks for his.
Whilst I don't agree with the outcome and don't think Kikau's hit deserved the penalty, 2 v 3 weeks is not an accurate comparison. Cotric got 5 weeks, chose not to contest it, and got discounts. Kikau chose to contest his 2 weeks, passing up the discounts on the table and got 2 weeks.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m in the minority that thinks it was a shoulder charge.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:04 pm This point was made by a poster over at LU, and with the caveat that is more complicated than this, but the NRL MRC and Judicary system has Kikau sitting 2 weeks for his tackle and Cotric 3 weeks for his.
And what was probably a worse incident from Fifita on the weekend got one week, as he didn't challenge.

I've been saying for ages that the discounts and loadings system is leading to unjust outcomes. Time for an overhaul. I really think every player charged should have their day in front of the judiciary. We need some respected actual ex judges in the judiciary, not the weak lily-livered judiciary full of ex players we have now. The MRC needs to justify their charges in front of them. The MRC is horribly inconsistent. We need some people who actually will hold the MRC to account and the players who are doing the wrong thing to account. We need a judiciary that produces some consistency.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Green Blogger wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:35 pm
Whilst I don't agree with the outcome and don't think Kikau's hit deserved the penalty, 2 v 3 weeks is not an accurate comparison. Cotric got 5 weeks, chose not to contest it, and got discounts. Kikau chose to contest his 2 weeks, passing up the discounts on the table and got 2 weeks.
Of course, and that's the caveat mentioned at the top of the post i referenced and the one you quoted.
Still, it's very hard to sit here and look at both tackles and say the end result was fair or just. The system is broken.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:52 pm
And what was probably a worse incident from Fifita on the weekend got one week, as he didn't challenge.

I've been saying for ages that the discounts and loadings system is leading to unjust outcomes. Time for an overhaul. I really think every player charged should have their day in front of the judiciary. We need some respected actual ex judges in the judiciary, not the weak lily-livered judiciary full of ex players we have now. The MRC needs to justify their charges in front of them. The MRC is horribly inconsistent. We need some people who actually will hold the MRC to account and the players who are doing the wrong thing to account. We need a judiciary that produces some consistency.

Yep, i totally agree. It's totally broken.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:42 pm
zim wrote:Both Soliola and Lui had arguably their best game of the season. One ran for 147m, the other made 68m and was 10% less effective in defense. Depending on how you want to balance your side it's a pretty straight forward decision this week.
Lui does a lot of hard work and I think should start, sia is great to start also, but for balance on the bench I would pick sia, and when he comes on around 20-25 minutes in, lead the line speed, run hard. Inspire the boys, papa has helped off the bench, very important these days in my opinion, but starts this game.
Yeah Papa has been great. My preference on balance is to start my 2 best props but I realize I'm in the minority from what I've seen on the site. Most prefer that 2nd prop on the bench for the extra punch and confidence for the bench guys to feed off, and the guy that can do a job to start alongside papa.

We'll be in a good position next year where I don't think it'll matter as much. Our bench will be stronger with the kids having more experience and another preseason under their belts.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:13 pm
Neeeegz wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:12 pm

I really like reality TV. The trashy ****.
Honestly. I love it

That'll sort this problem out Neeegz :lol:
Isn't that footy? ;)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Kikau got 2 weeks for something that was barely a penalty. Fifita gets 1 week for a blatant shoulder charge on a player off the ball. Total farce.
Greenberg is on the record as saying Consistency in the NRL is overrated... or similar, when he was discussing the 'no fault' policy so move along nothing to see here.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker full of praise for Penrith Panthers turnaround

Canberra co-captain Jarrod Croker has seen a lot of football but even he struggles to remember a better turnaround than the one by the Penrith Panthers.

"It's pretty special isn't it?" Croker said. "I sort of hadn't realised it really until this week. I don't watch too much footy or worry about too many other sides, but it's been made note of this week they are playing well and coming home with a wet sail.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/23/cro ... urnaround/

AUDIO: How Ricky Stuart turned Raiders into a contender

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart joined Inside The NRL to discuss his side's recent form and their run into the finals

Audio/Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/23/how ... contender/

NRL Match Preview: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33499

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/23/pan ... 9-preview/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders look to get 'fair dinkum' against Penrith Panthers: Sia Soliola

The fourth-placed Raiders are looking to shore up a spot in the four against the Penrith Panthers on Sunday, a team riding a seven-game winning streak.

"Defence is key, it has always been key, it has been our focal point this year. We've got to help ourselves in attack, we can't keep giving away cheap possession like we did last week," Soliola said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

gergreg wrote: July 23, 2019, 10:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Kikau got 2 weeks for something that was barely a penalty. Fifita gets 1 week for a blatant shoulder charge on a player off the ball. Total farce.
Greenberg is on the record as saying Consistency in the NRL is overrated... or similar, when he was discussing the 'no fault' policy so move along nothing to see here.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
too bad so sad
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

julian87 wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:48 pm I’m in the minority that thinks it was a shoulder charge.
I’m actually in agreement with you.
By the letter of the law (today) it was a shoulder charge.
It was also late.
As long as the NRL are consistent I don’t have a problem.
Where I scratch my head is with Fafitah.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:34 am
julian87 wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:48 pm I’m in the minority that thinks it was a shoulder charge.
I’m actually in agreement with you.
By the letter of the law (today) it was a shoulder charge.
It was also late.
As long as the NRL are consistent I don’t have a problem.
Where I scratch my head is with Fafitah.
I think it was a shoulder charge but i dont know that it was late, and it wasnt high
it was a tough penalty but probably a penalty