Nick Cotric takes early plea, suspended three weeks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Nick Cotric takes early plea, suspended three weeks

Post by gangrenous »

Beejay wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 31, 2019, 6:50 am Woodgers, if Ponga is competing for the ball - why is he still almost fully upright over the ball at the point of collision?
He never gets to the ball. It’s on the other side of Chee Kam. Chee Kam misses it as he’s bumped by the other Newcastle player, and the ball beats them all.

I still can’t comprehend we are all watching the same replay.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/26/ponga-sin-binned/
At the point of collision Ponga appears to be quite close to the ball. If Ponga is legitimately contesting the ball then he should be down lower like Chee Kam attempting to get to the ball.

He realises he’s beaten and shifts from playing at the ball to bracing and leaning in for the impact. In doing so I believe he has a duty of care in the action.

Imagine this was an aerial contest. If you run and jump and realise you’re a fraction of a second late so instead switch from trying to catch the ball to turning your shoulder into the collision and drill the bloke catching it? Obvious penalty right? Same in chasing the bouncing ball on the ground imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Buettner defends match review committee over 'inconsistency' claims

NRL match review committee chairman Michael Buettner has dismissed claims of inconsistency in his panel's grading of dangerous throw charges following fierce criticism around three recent lifting tackle incidents.

"The Nick Cotric tackle [on Dragons centre Tim Lafai], he was very careless in his actions because not only did he lift the player to a significant height, he drove him into the ground.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/31/bue ... cy-claims/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

These people seem to think we can't actually watch the video for ourselves!

Those blokes on the MRC should be completely cleaned out. We need some people who know what they're doing, and we need at least some people with legal expertise and an understanding of justice.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Buettner should have been sacked after completely mishandling the Ennis/Wighton shoulder charge incidents back in 2016.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

At the very least it's interesting to know where they are coming from on the charges. I cant at least understand where they are coming from
I still disagree with their interpretation of the Jurbo tackle though
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

simo wrote:
T_R wrote: July 31, 2019, 5:57 pm
The Rickman wrote:
reptar wrote: July 30, 2019, 7:02 pm
Matt wrote: Don't ever change.
How's Frank?
I don't know, currently on a flight to Sydney. He was good this morning when I left for work, but he knows the suitcase means I won't be home for a while. He's probably plotting revenge now.
Oh nice!! What's Frank doing in Sydney??
He's plotting revenge.

It's right there in the post, Nickman. Make an effort, mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
What a complete TR
That's not a thing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 8:07 pm At the very least it's interesting to know where they are coming from on the charges. I cant at least understand where they are coming from
I still disagree with their interpretation of the Jurbo tackle though
The biggest issue is he's making excuses for Jurbo in his comparisons with Luke. Comes across even more like favouritism. Also his reasoning behind Cotric's harder grade also apply to Jurbo's tackle but wasn't taken into account.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

This is always going to be an issue the only thing that changes is the fidelity at which we look into these instances. The quality of the cameras and replays mean we can see way more in retrospect than the ref can live so I do think that we need to take that into consideration with the live decisions. I'm personally for video to be considered more when it comes to these decisions on the day. Maybe it does slow the game down but we aren't going back to grainy black and white so this is the medium we need to live with.

Yeah I get it, its a physical game I totally get that and that needs to be considered. I don't envy the refs position but trying to have one foot in the old-school door and one in the modern door ain't working and never will.

Thought Ponga was 50/50. Looked like he was half going for the ball half looking to push off Chee Kam, the players are coached to do pretty much anything it takes to stop a tackle but yeah he switched from going for the ball to shouldering Chee Kam, it wasn't an accident. Careless? Reckless? Dangerous? For people more experienced than me to decide.

Cotric was dangerous/careless. Intentional no, I don't get Sticky's argument on that one. For me even an accidental dangerous action needs to be penalised. Send off, strong call but fine if you want to stop it in its tracks then ok I get that.

Turbo. This is where the NRL loose people. It was just about as bad as Cotric's if not the same. Annesley was on 360 the other night defending that decision and it was very very similar to Cotric's. His argument that they look at it for hours and look at every minute moment doesn't give me too much optimism. Please, he picked him up and put him on his neck/head. Dangerous, careless, intentional whatever way you want to spin it, to most people it put the player in a vulnerable position so should be given the same penalty as Cotric's.

I don't think that any of the players above had any 'intention' to hurt the other players. I don't get why that comes up so often. Intention or not it should still be penalised. If its clearly intentional then they should exacerbate the fine even more because that's just a brain explosion in the moment. Deliberate eye gouge anyone?

Again for me the big issue is that this all happens so fast and the refs are forced to make a live decision and they get it wrong sometimes and always will. We need the video to step in here.

Don't get me started on the Warriors forward pass :D
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

On 100% footy on Monday night they had a split screen. On one side the Cotric tackle, on the other Jake. They looked identical.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:51 pm On 100% footy on Monday night they had a split screen. On one side the Cotric tackle, on the other Jake. They looked identical.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Indeed. The NRL and the MRC is now in cover up mode. They are always in cover up mode. Self justification mode.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

If the MRC want people to get on board with what they are doing they need to be prepared to show their working. By that I mean that actually need to publicly demonstrate the process they work through in terms of grading a charge and be prepared to discuss comparable incidents and how they see the variation.

The way I see the Cotric tackle by the time the dragons player hits the ground he has almost completely lost contact with the player so I fail to see how under those circumstances he can drive him into the ground. It happened at pace and that is the only difference between the tackles.

If they spend hours analysing these decisions then share the knowledge with the fans so they can get behind it.

I like the way that Annesly has given a weekly briefing because he genuinely discusses controversial calls and is honest about where they got them wrong. He also attempts to explain the interpretations in different scenarios and gives some insight into what metrics they are looking at in assessing each game. You don’t have to agree with it but at least it is out there.

The MRC is a black box that appears to make mystifying calls on a regular basis. The fans can’t understand it so they should explain their reasoning. We might still disagree with the outcome but at least they could demonstrate that a consistent process was being applied!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

pickles wrote:We might still disagree with the outcome but at least they could demonstrate that a consistent process was being applied!
Could they though? Image
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

pickles wrote: August 1, 2019, 5:48 am If the MRC want people to get on board with what they are doing they need to be prepared to show their working. By that I mean that actually need to publicly demonstrate the process they work through in terms of grading a charge and be prepared to discuss comparable incidents and how they see the variation.

The way I see the Cotric tackle by the time the dragons player hits the ground he has almost completely lost contact with the player so I fail to see how under those circumstances he can drive him into the ground. It happened at pace and that is the only difference between the tackles.

If they spend hours analysing these decisions then share the knowledge with the fans so they can get behind it.

I like the way that Annesly has given a weekly briefing because he genuinely discusses controversial calls and is honest about where they got them wrong. He also attempts to explain the interpretations in different scenarios and gives some insight into what metrics they are looking at in assessing each game. You don’t have to agree with it but at least it is out there.

The MRC is a black box that appears to make mystifying calls on a regular basis. The fans can’t understand it so they should explain their reasoning. We might still disagree with the outcome but at least they could demonstrate that a consistent process was being applied!
Re: The 2 bolded sections.

Annersley can articulate things properly. Whether you agree with his conclusions or not is a matter of opinion. At least he explains things logically and subjectively.

Whenever Buettner tries to explain the MRC decisions it becomes a train wreck. Always ends up contradicting their own logic. Better to keep people in the dark than expose their incompetence in broad daylight.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Northern Raider wrote: August 1, 2019, 9:11 am
pickles wrote: August 1, 2019, 5:48 am If the MRC want people to get on board with what they are doing they need to be prepared to show their working. By that I mean that actually need to publicly demonstrate the process they work through in terms of grading a charge and be prepared to discuss comparable incidents and how they see the variation.

Re: The 2 bolded sections.

Annersley can articulate things properly. Whether you agree with his conclusions or not is a matter of opinion. At least he explains things logically and subjectively.

Whenever Buettner tries to explain the MRC decisions it becomes a train wreck. Always ends up contradicting their own logic. Better to keep people in the dark than expose their incompetence in broad daylight.
I'd agree that everything coming out of the MRC has been rubbish but that is a concern in itself. If there isn't someone in charge who can clearly articulate the process that is applied to grading charges and how they scrutinize the difference between charges then they shouldn't be in the job.

I would say that the general NRL fan has the opinion that the MRC is highly subjective and it is a couple of ex players sitting around with a few beers saying "I don't know, maybe grade 2? Yeah that seems about right" rather than applying a consistent and rigorous process that that produces predictable outcomes for similar offences.

Annesley himself has said that they spend hours reviewing each decision. If this is the case then we need better transparency because it is already perceived as a joke by all and sundry. If it is brought into the light they will need to make changes.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If they literally do spend hours reviewing each decision then it's a classic case of over analysing. Taking both Cotric's and Jurbo's tackles. After 3 or 4 viewings you can see they are exactly the same type of tackle. 1 on 1, flipped the guy up vertical and dumped him on his head/neck/shoulder area. Should be as simple as "that's a Grade 2" or whatever they decide it is. Taking hours to examine every minute detail and physical motion only complicates the matter and confuses everybody (mostly the MRC themselves).

If its determined that this type of tackle is a Grade X and Cotric, Luke, Jurbo all get charged with a Grade X then we have very little to no controversy. The only person left arguing the case is Pigman.....and thats only because he's going to argue regardless.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote:
Matt wrote:
reptar wrote: July 30, 2019, 4:53 pm It's on my shoulders, Matt!
Don't ever change.
How's Frank?
I don't know, currently on a flight to Sydney. He was good this morning when I left for work, but he knows the suitcase means I won't be home for a while. He's probably plotting revenge now.
He's plotting revenge.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Lol, TR uses the Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's RICKman, you idiot!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, on the MRC... out of Cotric, Ponga and Jurbo, it's only the Jurbo one they got wrong IMO.

The other two are spot on, and were handled perfectly on the field and subsequently.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:02 pm Also, on the MRC... out of Cotric, Ponga and Jurbo, it's only the Jurbo one they got wrong IMO.

The other two are spot on, and were handled perfectly on the field and subsequently.
Any insights on why the Jurbo one was the only one that was overlooked? Luck of the draw perhaps?
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:13 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:02 pm Also, on the MRC... out of Cotric, Ponga and Jurbo, it's only the Jurbo one they got wrong IMO.

Any insights on why the Jurbo one was the only one that was overlooked? Luck of the draw perhaps?
Just garbage inconsistency by the MRC, as per usual. I don't think there's any conspiracy or Manly is all of a sudden a favourite club if that's what you're implying.

Just the way she goes, Ricky.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 11:56 am
The Rickman wrote:
Matt wrote: Don't ever change.
How's Frank?
He's plotting revenge.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Lol, TR uses the Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Wait, are The Nickman and The Rickman the same person? :woot:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 1:14 pm

Just garbage inconsistency by the MRC, as per usual. I don't think there's any conspiracy or Manly is all of a sudden a favourite club if that's what you're implying.

Its not club related. My guess is more that Jurbo is a high profile NRL poster boy for all that's good and right in the game. To give him a hefty charge and suspension would tarnish the NRL's image.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Having gone back and looked at the incidents again I fail to see how the Trbojevic an Luke tackles were graded differently, they are almost identical and if anything the Trbojevic tackle is worse as he lands in a much more dangerous position.

Other than that they are both front on tackles where the momentum of the player is stopped and they are lifted and then put in a dangerous position before landing on their head and shoulders simultaneously. The main difference with the Cotric tackle was that the way the tackle unfolds the ball runner ends up behind Cotric on the back of his momentum and this means he gets up and down much more quickly.

I disagree with the assessment that Cotric drives the ball runner into the ground as he has lost almost all contact with the player as he hits the ground but I can see that the pace and momentum in the tackle makes it more dangerous as it unfolds much more quickly.

I'm genuinely interested in the thought process of the MRC as clearly they are seeing differences in tackles that fans, coaches and the media are missing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 1, 2019, 1:34 pm

Its not club related. My guess is more that Jurbo is a high profile NRL poster boy for all that's good and right in the game. To give him a hefty charge and suspension would tarnish the NRL's image.
Good grief, do you really think the MRC puts that much thought into it?

They're just inconsistent and incompetent boobs!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 2:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 1, 2019, 1:34 pm

Good grief, do you really think the MRC puts that much thought into it?

They're just inconsistent and incompetent boobs!
I'm not accusing the MRC of putting much thought into anything. I'm suggesting they may be influenced by higher sources.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pickles wrote: August 1, 2019, 2:00 pm Having gone back and looked at the incidents again I fail to see how the Trbojevic an Luke tackles were graded differently, they are almost identical and if anything the Trbojevic tackle is worse as he lands in a much more dangerous position.

Other than that they are both front on tackles where the momentum of the player is stopped and they are lifted and then put in a dangerous position before landing on their head and shoulders simultaneously. The main difference with the Cotric tackle was that the way the tackle unfolds the ball runner ends up behind Cotric on the back of his momentum and this means he gets up and down much more quickly.

I disagree with the assessment that Cotric drives the ball runner into the ground as he has lost almost all contact with the player as he hits the ground but I can see that the pace and momentum in the tackle makes it more dangerous as it unfolds much more quickly.

I'm genuinely interested in the thought process of the MRC as clearly they are seeing differences in tackles that fans, coaches and the media are missing.
They have explained their reasoning, and it sounds like a whole lot of hogwash to me!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Buettner loves to reverse engineer the MRC’s decision making to the media and fans to suit the incident. Then the opposite will happen and he will re-draw the decision making theory.

Have the MEC ever admitted they have graded an incident incorrectly? I think they have only admitted to the process or guidelines being incorrect????
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 11:56 am
The Rickman wrote:
reptar wrote: July 30, 2019, 7:02 pm I don't know, currently on a flight to Sydney. He was good this morning when I left for work, but he knows the suitcase means I won't be home for a while. He's probably plotting revenge now.
He's plotting revenge.

Wait, are The Nickman and The Rickman the same person? :woot:
Yes. They're both lucy
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

If Frank is in Sydney, he better pop in for a visit and some kangaroo sausage

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:If Frank is in Sydney, he better pop in for a visit and some kangaroo sausage

I'm sure he'd love to, but he finished what he was doing and is back in Brisbane now.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

reptar wrote: August 1, 2019, 8:36 pm
dubby wrote:If Frank is in Sydney, he better pop in for a visit and some kangaroo sausage

I'm sure he'd love to, but he finished what he was doing and is back in Brisbane now.
I guess you just sit back and wait for whatever revenge he has dreamed up??
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I imagine Frank is like business cat

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Coastalraider wrote:
reptar wrote: August 1, 2019, 8:36 pm

I guess you just sit back and wait for whatever revenge he has dreamed up??
He serves that dish cold!
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:I imagine Frank is like business cat

Haha. Yes! Exactly like that
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BJ wrote: August 1, 2019, 6:10 pm Buettner loves to reverse engineer the MRC’s decision making to the media and fans to suit the incident. Then the opposite will happen and he will re-draw the decision making theory.

Have the MEC ever admitted they have graded an incident incorrectly? I think they have only admitted to the process or guidelines being incorrect????
Buettner has attempted to defend the indefensible and by doing so has brought himself and the NRL into disrepute. The tackles of Nic and Jurbo got players beyond the horizontal, into a potentially dangerous position. Whatever the 'reasons' for the variation in the charge even the couple of Manly fans I have spoken to regard Jurbo as 'lucky' with the grading. Just like Peter Beattie in his politics days, the MRC should just come out and say they got it wrong and allow the mea culpa to wash the stain away. It'll never happen while Buettner puts defending dumb decisions ahead of the bleeding obvious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:02 pm
BJ wrote: August 1, 2019, 6:10 pm Buettner loves to reverse engineer the MRC’s decision making to the media and fans to suit the incident. Then the opposite will happen and he will re-draw the decision making theory.

Buettner has attempted to defend the indefensible and by doing so has brought himself and the NRL into disrepute. The tackles of Nic and Jurbo got players beyond the horizontal, into a potentially dangerous position. Whatever the 'reasons' for the variation in the charge even the couple of Manly fans I have spoken to regard Jurbo as 'lucky' with the grading. Just like Peter Beattie in his politics days, the MRC should just come out and say they got it wrong and allow the mea culpa to wash the stain away. It'll never happen while Buettner puts defending dumb decisions ahead of the bleeding obvious.
Agree to some extent but very hard for the MRC to admit error while the effects are still in play i.e. saying they graded Jurbo wrong during what should be his suspension period. Also saying Cotric was graded too highly while he's still serving suspension. Ref's boss can admit errors after the weekend because it's done and dusted. Can't changed the past.

MRC simply have to get it right because there is no other recourse.