All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Nick Cotric takes early plea, suspended three weeks

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
RedRaider wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:02 pm
BJ wrote: August 1, 2019, 6:10 pm Buettner loves to reverse engineer the MRC’s decision making to the media and fans to suit the incident. Then the opposite will happen and he will re-draw the decision making theory.

Have the MEC ever admitted they have graded an incident incorrectly? I think they have only admitted to the process or guidelines being incorrect????
Buettner has attempted to defend the indefensible and by doing so has brought himself and the NRL into disrepute. The tackles of Nic and Jurbo got players beyond the horizontal, into a potentially dangerous position. Whatever the 'reasons' for the variation in the charge even the couple of Manly fans I have spoken to regard Jurbo as 'lucky' with the grading. Just like Peter Beattie in his politics days, the MRC should just come out and say they got it wrong and allow the mea culpa to wash the stain away. It'll never happen while Buettner puts defending dumb decisions ahead of the bleeding obvious.
Agree to some extent but very hard for the MRC to admit error while the effects are still in play i.e. saying they graded Jurbo wrong during what should be his suspension period. Also saying Cotric was graded too highly while he's still serving suspension. Ref's boss can admit errors after the weekend because it's done and dusted. Can't changed the past.

MRC simply have to get it right because there is no other recourse.
Actually I’ll accept that view.

The MRC could probably look back over key decisions each November, provide a detailed report and recalibrate for the upcoming season.

Too many knee jerk charges and inconsistencies are happening every second week. Slowly improving the system over the long term has never been actually realised as an outcome.

The inconsistency of charges this season are the worst in recent memory. The McGuire and Jake T ones just a couple of prime examples.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can't expect the MRC to admit they got their charges wrong. But the NRL is accountable for their performance and they need to clean it out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 3, 2019, 12:41 pm You can't expect the MRC to admit they got their charges wrong. But the NRL is accountable for their performance and they need to clean it out.
I think the process with the MRC and the grading system are OK. Some fine tuning here and there is all that's needed. It's the individuals making the decisions that is the problem. The current ones are not up to the job so it's a simple case of replacing them.

Buettner should have been on notice after completely botching the Ennis and Wighton shoulder charges in 2016. Amazing he's still there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

So sam burgess got his charge down graded which means no matches lost just points...

Moylan was knocked out before he it the deck and can't play this week

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's an absolute **** show
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I cant wait for the nrl to admit they got it wrong, promise to take a tougher stance on high tackles and then send off a raiders player this weekend as proof that they mean business
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: August 7, 2019, 8:39 pm I cant wait for the nrl to admit they got it wrong, promise to take a tougher stance on high tackles and then send off a raiders player this weekend as proof that they mean business
That sort of thing never happens! ;)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Annesley commented about dissent this week. I hope Croker and Hodgson don't even look at the referees sideways this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: August 7, 2019, 9:50 pm Annesley commented about dissent this week. I hope Croker and Hodgson don't even look at the referees sideways this weekend.

:D
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: August 7, 2019, 9:50 pm Annesley commented about dissent this week. I hope Croker and Hodgson don't even look at the referees sideways this weekend.

One of them's Sutton and you just know he'd do it. He's already been a jerk to both of them so far this year. Remember when he suddenly decided to enforce that he would only speak to one of them per game in the middle of a match?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I would say Josh McGuire would probably be my least favourite player in the NRL - I think it’s outrageous he has escaped 2 eye gouging charges this year without suspension. I just watched footage of a supposedly third gouge in the game last night but I have to say there is nothing in it and it would be foolish for the MRC to be setting precedent by suspending him for that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I disagree. He is shoving his fingers in the region deliberately. I'm sure he also did it on Lodge too, I'll have to take another look to try and find it - but committing to rewatching that game sends a shiver down my spine.

He needs a proper suspension to stop him from sticking his fingers in the region.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: August 9, 2019, 7:56 am I disagree. He is shoving his fingers in the region deliberately. I'm sure he also did it on Lodge too, I'll have to take another look to try and find it - but committing to rewatching that game sends a shiver down my spine.

He needs a proper suspension to stop him from sticking his fingers in the region.

Problem is its a lesser degree of eye gouge than what he did earlier. If he's given a higher grading he will challenge it at the judiciary, using his own cases as evidence. He would also be successful simply because of the precedent set.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He has already been fined twice this year and I didn't think you could be find three times in a year? That's why Maloney got charged for a pretty innocuous trip.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 8:11 am
gergreg wrote: August 9, 2019, 7:56 am I disagree. He is shoving his fingers in the region deliberately. I'm sure he also did it on Lodge too, I'll have to take another look to try and find it - but committing to rewatching that game sends a shiver down my spine.

Problem is its a lesser degree of eye gouge than what he did earlier. If he's given a higher grading he will challenge it at the judiciary, using his own cases as evidence. He would also be successful simply because of the precedent set.
I love that his defence can be, "That's not an eye gouge *checks his own highlight reel* THIS is an eye gouge!"
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep it just gets ugly because you set precedents that suggest it’s ok to rip a blokes eye out if it’s a week out from Origin and it’s in the interest of the NRL for him to play, but it’s not okay to brush a guys face if you’ve previously been let off on two offences where you probably should have faced a firing squad!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:

Yep it just gets ugly because you set precedents that suggest it’s ok to rip a blokes eye out if it’s a week out from Origin and it’s in the interest of the NRL for him to play, but it’s not okay to brush a guys face if you’ve previously been let off on two offences where you probably should have faced a firing squad!
If the NRL has taught us anything, precedence means absolutely nothing

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Facing 4 weeks and deservedly so.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Peter wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:24 pm Facing 4 weeks and deservedly so.
Does he deserve 4 weeks- yes he probably deserves a lot more for what he has done over the course of this year.

Does the incident last night warrant 4 weeks - no way, not even a fine.

Is he facing 4 weeks for that incident on the accumulation of being a ****?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: August 9, 2019, 11:35 am
Billy Walker wrote:

If the NRL has taught us anything, precedence means absolutely nothing

...for selected people
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:50 pm
Does he deserve 4 weeks- yes he probably deserves a lot more for what he has done over the course of this year.

Yep, what he did last night was only a borderline penalty. If he does get suspended it's effectively a retrospective one for his earlier indiscretions.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 1:21 pm

Yep, what he did last night was only a borderline penalty. If he does get suspended it's effectively a retrospective one for his earlier indiscretions.
I agree, but it is well deserved and well overdue. The NRL match review committee is either making up for what it recognises is its earlier complete incompetence - or they are reacting to the public outrage about their incompetence and inconsistency and the public pressure. Then add in the flagrant disregard for the disciplinary system shown by McGuire.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 1:46 pm

I agree, but it is well deserved and well overdue. The NRL match review committee is either making up for what it recognises is its earlier complete incompetence - or they are reacting to the public outrage about their incompetence and inconsistency and the public pressure. Then add in the flagrant disregard for the disciplinary system shown by McGuire.
I was going to say the result is right but the process has been horrible but I’m not sure I even agree with that. The Cowboys are out of finals contention so is it really much a punishment for McGuire to be given a nice early start on his pre-season.

McGuire is a grub who should have been wiped out for the first gouge let alone the second. The NRL got that hugely wrong.

There a bit to be said for the old saying ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’. Were his actions last night worthy of even a penalty- I say no. It really is a case of the NRL making another wrong call to attempt to right the earlier wrong calls.

I’m not upset he is gone for the season - wouldn’t cry if he pursued an alternative passion and was never heard of again. I just shake my head that an organisation like the NRL can get things so wrong so regularly.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think the charge is reflecting a constant and repeat offender, and frankly, as GE said, it is long overdue.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 1:46 pm

This ∆
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think we are all arguing the same thing. Would it make it more fun if I jumped sides on the argument? McGuire is a fine upstanding member..... nah can’t do it - he’s a grub.

Thankfully I didn’t watch much of that game but I did catch a beautiful moment where David Fifita threw McGuire like a rag doll haha
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2019, 4:44 pm I think we are all arguing the same thing. Would it make it more fun if I jumped sides on the argument? McGuire is a fine upstanding member..... nah can’t do it - he’s a grub.

Thankfully I didn’t watch much of that game but I did catch a beautiful moment where David Fifita threw McGuire like a rag doll haha
Nah, Pigman would be out of a job.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

His rap sheet is ugly reading. Stomping on hands x2, eye gouge x2, high shots x a gazillion, late shots etc. Probably some I've forgotten.
I agree with the decision to rub out the biff, but in this instance I think anyone who ko's the grub should be rewarded and celebrated. Papa would be perfect for the job.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I get the impression that he knows how to fight because nobody goes him and he has given plenty of opponents enough reason. In saying that I think he does pick his (niggle) opponents carefully.

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

My money is on Papa
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: August 10, 2019, 12:34 pm I get the impression that he knows how to fight because nobody goes him and he has given plenty of opponents enough reason. In saying that I think he does pick his (niggle) opponents carefully.

I reckon players would hold greater fear of the send off and subsequent suspension than they would of McGuires ability to throw down. I’m sure he could hold his own but I get the sense he a bit of a cat.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: August 10, 2019, 12:34 pm I get the impression that he knows how to fight because nobody goes him and he has given plenty of opponents enough reason. In saying that I think he does pick his (niggle) opponents carefully.

I reckon players would hold greater fear of the send off and subsequent suspension than they would of McGuires ability to throw down. I’m sure he could hold his own but I get the sense he a bit of a cat.
He looks like a scrapper to me.

The refs have shown in the past that blokes getting punched on the chin (and not throwing punches) get sent to the bin along with the bloke throwing the punches.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bloody oath. Maguire won't pick papa or Bateman
magoo wrote:My money is on Papa
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Maguire can't be a grub. He's a Queenslander. There are no grubs in the Queensland team, only in the NSW team.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Les Boyd once copped a 15 month suspension for an eye gouge. It cleaned up the disgusting practice for a long time.

Time to get rid of ex-players on the MRC. They have proved they are not up to it. Get a legal eagle on a mission as happened before with Jim Comans and get some rules based sanity back into the judiciary process. If Maguire had copped the suspension Hudson Young had to after his incident we may not be witnessing this ongoing farce. In 2019 League fans have no faith in the NRLs capacity to put a halt to this type of foul play. A repeat offender in a single season needs at least a seasons ban imo. Do we wait until someone loses their sight??