Nick Cotric takes early plea, suspended three weeks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Cotric and the Judiciary

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:12 pm I thought it looked far worse than it was. No way shouldve been sent off. For the record, no player has been sent off for a lifting tackle since 1995!

As has been said, he was trying to make a dominant 1 on 1 tackle, lafai stepped and it meant he caught him awkwardly. Pretty sure he has a clean record. Should get 2 weeks, but with the raiders loading, he'll prob get six
Try telling that to this crowd. They have the torches and pitchforks out already. Literally no perspective on the game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:18 pm
LastRaider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:41 pm 2 weeks, clumsy no malice player unhurt
In normal circumstances yes. In this case they may come down harder to justify the send off.
I don’t think the player being hurt or unhurt should come into it. It’s needs to be judged on the risk to the player, intent and seriousness of the action
It should and it does. Like any crime, the result dictates the severity of the charge.
If he gets less than 6, it'll be because the panel took into account the send off as a punishment AND the fact the player was uninjured.
I wont be counting on that.

Thankfully we're pretty well covered for backs i think. Kris and Oldbeard have done their jobs
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Cotric and the Judiciary

Post by Sid »

Both coaches in the press conferences saying there was no intent there
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sid wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:27 pm Both coaches in the press conferences saying there was no intent there
Nope- according to the cowards on here it's the worst lifting tackle since 1995... God spare me. And I'm not even a believer.

I've seen Hodgo alone tipped on his head 3 times in similar manner. Stockholm Syndrome ?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:00 pm Would be incredibly harsh to refer that straight to the judiciary. Basically saying it's beyond the highest grading.
This is a post McKinnon world. And it's the worst spear tackle we've seen since that IMO
Hasn't been too many but this one by Ofahengaue in 2017 is very similar. It's at the 2:25 mark. He got 3 weeks after early plea.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/08/05/rd- ... oncos-hls/
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:10 pm
Lui_Bon wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:49 pm
afgtnk wrote:Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

Yes, it looks bad because he's driven him into the ground. But looking at the mechanics of the tackle, there is no way I can see there being any intent or malice into it.

To me, going by what damage it could have caused is highly subjective and brings out multiple shades of grey, therefore cannot be the marker used.
No idea, but unlike high tackles there's only one category of dangerous throw

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
No. 100, 300 and 500 points.
Intentional, careless and reckless high tackle?

No. Those are different charges. See the link previously provided:

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/judiciary-code/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

PigRickman wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:18 pm
LastRaider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:41 pm 2 weeks, clumsy no malice player unhurt
In normal circumstances yes. In this case they may come down harder to justify the send off.
I don’t think the player being hurt or unhurt should come into it. It’s needs to be judged on the risk to the player, intent and seriousness of the action
It should and it does. Like any crime, the result dictates the severity of the charge.
If he gets less than 6, it'll be because the panel took into account the send off as a punishment AND the fact the player was uninjured.
I wont be counting on that.

Thankfully we're pretty well covered for backs i think. Kris and Oldbeard have done their jobs
You are a total masochist. I'm not convinced your worldview is valid, though I'd like to have a look at your pamphlet.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:30 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:00 pm Would be incredibly harsh to refer that straight to the judiciary. Basically saying it's beyond the highest grading.
This is a post McKinnon world. And it's the worst spear tackle we've seen since that IMO
Hasn't been too many but this one by Ofahengaue in 2017 is very similar. It's at the 2:25 mark. He got 3 weeks after early plea.

It's a shame the judicary banned using prior offenses in the defence of new ones... because yeah, that'd be helpful in limiting the damage for Nic.
I think this one is worse, but if that was 3, this is 5?
Last edited by Botman on July 14, 2019, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

PigRickman wrote:
Geez I don’t know about that call. I remember some bad ones from Manu Mau, Nofuluma and Paulo. A few others that I can’t remember who was guilty party.

Front on tackle without his hands between his legs, makes it no worse than others that have received Grade1,2&3 charges.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:30 pm

Thanks for that. Need to watch Nic’s again but it looked worse than Ofahengaue’s to me.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

He’ll walk free

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

They were very very similar tackles. Ofahengaue got a Grade 3 dangerous throw. That's what I expect Cotric to get. It's 5 weeks without discounts or loading.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

We keep our power dry during the season for just this kind of crap. Raiders will fight. NRL will know it and come in reasonable or Raiders will win a downgrade.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

4 to 6 weeks is my call, it was very, very ugly. I knew he was getting sent the second he did it, it was pretty awful

Let’s hope it’s 4 weeks, I think we’ll be lucky if that’s the case
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Cotric and the Judiciary

Post by Sid »

2 weeks plus a send off for an offence with no intent would be more than enough imo
Last edited by Sid on July 14, 2019, 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep 5-6 weeks for that seems about right. Guess we’ll see.

Shame as the troops might be a bit tight next week with injuries.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Sending off was the right call and it should be a sufficient punishment.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If it was Josh McGuire he'd get a fine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:49 pm
afgtnk wrote:Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

Yes, it looks bad because he's driven him into the ground. But looking at the mechanics of the tackle, there is no way I can see there being any intent or malice into it.

To me, going by what damage it could have caused is highly subjective and brings out multiple shades of grey, therefore cannot be the marker used.
No idea, but unlike high tackles there's only one category of dangerous throw

.... Not my point but whatever

kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I remember a defence a couple of years ago that the first point of contact was the players arm on the ground not the players head. That is definitely the case here. Also he is not driven head first into the ground he land equally back and neck. If I were the review committee I would suggest think this is a 300 point job with discount would be 2 weeks with a few carry over.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Hands wrapped around both legs, no intent. Just a hard tackle that ended ugly, luckily without injury.

Ashley Klein decided tonight that he would be the referee who started to get tough on that sort of play.

Meanwhile you’ve got prop forwards blind-siding halfbacks in the kidneys after they’ve passed which goes unpunished on the field.

Cotric will be charged, no doubt. Glad to hear Rick saying they will fight it though.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Im sorry but Stuart was way out of line in his presser, attacking the journo.... it was one of the worst tackles ive ever seen, a total neck breaker... send off was appropriate, and he is probably looking at 4-6 weeks out for it.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 10:34 pm
Lui_Bon wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:49 pm No idea, but unlike high tackles there's only one category of dangerous throw

.... Not my point but whatever

given that intentional is a "refer to panel", careless is a fine, and reckless is 2-3-400 points, what is your point? Don't mean to be a Rick but do you think the charge will one of those rather than just a "dangerous throw"?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Lucky wrote: July 14, 2019, 10:57 pm Im sorry but Stuart was way out of line in his presser, attacking the journo.... it was one of the worst tackles ive ever seen, a total neck breaker... send off was appropriate, and he is probably looking at 4-6 weeks out for it.
Now look Lucky nothing against you personally but ****.

This is one of the worst tackles you've ever seen? A total neck breaker?

suppose I believe you (which I don't)

4 to 6 weeks is an appropriate penalty, you think, for a tackle which you reckon is a total neck breaker, one of the worst you've ever seen?

Kill a man and get eight to ten weeks... ****...

Can you people get a grip on yourselves?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
Sid wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:27 pm Both coaches in the press conferences saying there was no intent there
Nope- according to the cowards on here it's the worst lifting tackle since 1995... God spare me. And I'm not even a believer.

I've seen Hodgo alone tipped on his head 3 times in similar manner. Stockholm Syndrome ?
Really? Which games was Hodgo tackled like that?

I was on the other side of the field but it didn't look good. Hoping to watch a full replay of the game tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: July 14, 2019, 10:20 pm Yep 5-6 weeks for that seems about right. Guess we’ll see.

Shame as the troops might be a bit tight next week with injuries.
Yeah that would be consistent with 5 weeks for Young and ZERO for McGuire on 2 gouges in 2 games.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

This was only three weeks with an early plea, and he wasn't sent off or sin bined:

Chris Heighington on Jeremy Latimore, 2015 season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote: July 14, 2019, 11:09 pm
Lucky wrote: July 14, 2019, 10:57 pm Im sorry but Stuart was way out of line in his presser, attacking the journo.... it was one of the worst tackles ive ever seen, a total neck breaker... send off was appropriate, and he is probably looking at 4-6 weeks out for it.
Now look Lucky nothing against you personally but ****.

This is one of the worst tackles you've ever seen? A total neck breaker?

suppose I believe you (which I don't)

4 to 6 weeks is an appropriate penalty, you think, for a tackle which you reckon is a total neck breaker, one of the worst you've ever seen?

Kill a man and get eight to ten weeks... ****...

Can you people get a grip on yourselves?
Lucky's after some attention. He's clearly been watching the game for about 3 weeks if that's one of the worst he's ever seen. I suspect he predicted it before the game though...

It wasn't a great tackle and I think the fact Cotric went on with it a bit will count against him. It was a good hit that went wrong and it looked bad because he drove Lafai down on his back to complete the tackle rather than let him go once he realised he had lifted him into a dangerous position.

It was nowhere near a horror tackle, just a really bad mistake. I suspect he'll cop a suspension for it being reckless, but it was't intentional and he didn't piledrive him onto his head like some people are making out.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Wade Graham said on fox after the game that the fact cotrics feet come off the ground when making the tackle will work against him.. the panel will interpret this to mean that he was not taking adequate care to protect the player. In the end, i just hope this doesnt affect his confidence or playing style.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Unfortunately for Nick he will be sitting out...

Unintentional but very ugly.

He's already tied to stake and their gathering the wood for the burning.

My call is 3 weeks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote: It was nowhere near a horror tackle, just a really bad mistake. I suspect he'll cop a suspension for it being reckless, but it was't intentional and he didn't piledrive him onto his head like some people are making out.
Like the panel said, no one is going to intentionally make a tackle like that, so you don’t get much discount on that front in my book. And yeah he pretty well did pile drive him on his head.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Cotric and the judiciary

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Ultima wrote:This was only three weeks with an early plea, and he wasn't sent off or sin bined:

Chris Heighington on Jeremy Latimore, 2015 season.
That was three weeks, four years ago. Player safety has been on the rise since then. If anything, I think that confirms it’s going to be longer still.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Rewatched this again this morning and by the time Lafai hits the ground Cotric has almost completely lost contact with him.

It really was just a copybook tackle that went wrong due to Lafai stepping back inside late.

The worst charges should be for when there are multiple players in the tackle and one is lifting the legs and driving. There is no dangerous intent in this tackle at all, as Stuart said, it was an accident and should be viewed as such.

With the send off taken into account if he cops a hefty charge we should fight it hard!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

pickles wrote:Rewatched this again this morning and by the time Lafai hits the ground Cotric has almost completely lost contact with him.

It really was just a copybook tackle that went wrong due to Lafai stepping back inside late.

The worst charges should be for when there are multiple players in the tackle and one is lifting the legs and driving. There is no dangerous intent in this tackle at all, as Stuart said, it was an accident and should be viewed as such.

With the send off taken into account if he cops a hefty charge we should fight it hard!
Just had a look again myself. Certainly doesn't look as bad as it did live at the ground. Lafai's body isn't that high off the ground when he is flipped - moreso from Cotric losing control of the tackle. I remember the bad spear tackles of the 80s and 90s where they would lift to full extension, then flip and drive down, with the tackled player coming straight down - head first towards the ground and most players in those days knew to tuck their heads - and were able to do so because it was generally a 1 on 1 contest/tackle. Some of those tackles in those days were really bad.

The tackles these days aren't even remotely as bad. You see penalties when a bloke already has his shoulders on the ground and somebody lifts his legs above the horizontal. But TBF to the NRL it is one of the few areas where they are generally pretty consistent with the MRC/Judiciary - send off aside. And just to be clear there is no place in the game for this type of tackle. But then again I said the same thing about gouging.

3 to 4 weeks IMO.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: July 15, 2019, 6:41 am
Seiffert82 wrote: It was nowhere near a horror tackle, just a really bad mistake. I suspect he'll cop a suspension for it being reckless, but it was't intentional and he didn't piledrive him onto his head like some people are making out.
Like the panel said, no one is going to intentionally make a tackle like that, so you don’t get much discount on that front in my book. And yeah he pretty well did pile drive him on his head.
It's all semantics really, but he largely tilted him down onto his shoulder.

It was a dangerous tackle and he deserves to be suspended, but I still don't think it was a tackle that directly drove his head into the ground like a classic spear tackle.

Anyway, the judiciary will sort it out.