Canberra Raider coach Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raider coach Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:19 am I think we are instructed and attempt to close out games but we just can't do it and then start to doubt ourselves. TBF there are only two sides in the comp who can do it in high pressure situations and it's no coincidence they are the 2 best sides.

I'm not saying Seiffert and Nickman are wrong because I think our teams natural instinct is to play a loose attacking style but we half **** it because Ricky's halftime speech "grind out a win or I'm kicking chairs" is in the back of their minds. The players are stuck between wanting to play the way they have for the previous 40 minutes (and season after season) and the grind.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
We weren't scoring points at the end of those games because we weren't holding onto the ball, completing sets and maintaining discipline in defence. We started giving away far too many penalties and we gifted all the momentum to the opposition.

We hold onto the ball, keep our line and structure in defence, maintain our kick chase pressure and keep playing direct and we will score points. When we start playing touch footy we look like **** - especially with no Leilua.

I'm totally on board with Stuart here. It's pretty obvious to me what happens when we lose our discipline and start throwing the ball around. We haven't been putting the cue in the rack at all - it's actually quite the opposite.

People are confusing the fact we weren't scoring points with the idea that we weren't trying to score points. We weren't scoring points because we were having too much fun giving the ball to the opposition in good field position.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raider coach Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:19 am I think we are instructed and attempt to close out games but we just can't do it and then start to doubt ourselves. TBF there are only two sides in the comp who can do it in high pressure situations and it's no coincidence they are the 2 best sides.

I'm not saying Seiffert and Nickman are wrong because I think our teams natural instinct is to play a loose attacking style but we half **** it because Ricky's halftime speech "grind out a win or I'm kicking chairs" is in the back of their minds. The players are stuck between wanting to play the way they have for the previous 40 minutes (and season after season) and the grind.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
We weren't scoring points at the end of those games because we weren't holding onto the ball, completing sets and maintaining discipline in defence. We started giving away far too many penalties and we gifted all the momentum to the opposition.

We hold onto the ball, keep our line and structure in defence, maintain our kick chase pressure and keep playing direct and we will score points. When we start playing touch footy we look like **** - especially with no Leilua.

I'm totally on board with Stuart here. It's pretty obvious to me what happens when we lose our discipline and start throwing the ball around. We haven't been putting the cue in the rack at all - it's actually quite the opposite.

People are confusing the fact we weren't scoring points with the idea that we weren't trying to score points. We weren't scoring points because we were having too much fun giving the ball to the opposition in good field position.
Absolutely spot on. Nailed it 100%, Seiff

And last night just proved what happens if we knuckle down, control the football and just get on with the game. We got reduced to 12 men, but rather than lose our minds and throw the football away, we knuckled down, controlled the game and scored two more tries

Exactly what you’re talking about