7%
Dragons 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 17 V Dragons: Game Day

Post by bonehead »

the problem is consistency, not the call.
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahaha just caught up on this thread... superb stuff Greenhouse, you’re all a bunch of lunatics
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

bonehead wrote:the problem is consistency, not the call.
Totally agree, and i know every tackle, incident is different but it can't be that hard to be more consistent
When the refs are being consistent then no one can see biasedness between players and clubs

No one is saying what nick did was great, it certainly wasn't intentional. But when you have sam burgess concede 6 penalties in quick time and no sin bin, jordan have his face splattered , not even on report, jarrod coat hangered etc etc fans get upset

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: July 15, 2019, 8:18 am the problem is consistency, not the call.
Correct. Like the Hudson Young gouge. We do seem to cop the end of the "make an example of you" stick at times.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It sucks because Cotric at right centre allays the worry that we lose any point of attack over there without Leilua.

It has to be a send off. I doubt anyone in the league community thinks it was purposeful but that’s not the point. I just hope he doesn’t get whacked with a huge suspension. Given it’s the first send off in so long id feel like we got out of gaol with it being 4 weeks or less.

It think the replacement player says a lot about how well Stuart has done with recruitment and retention over the last 18 months or so (barring the Hingano gamble which didn’t pay off). To be able to shift Bateman there or bring in Oldfield with 3 right centres unavailable is a pretty good outcome given some of the first choice spuds in the NRL atm.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting that Stuart regarded this game as the best one Sezer has played for the club, and the best Hodgo has played this season.

Sezer has had a few good games for us in the past, but I'm pretty on board with the coach on both points. Some of the criticism of Sezer during this game was ridiculous. It goes to show how easy it is to go into a game with a preconceived idea and run with it despite all the evidence to the contrary.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Not much mention here of the way we pushed on when we were challenged...no attempt to put the cue in the rack and hold on for the win.

When Nick was sent off, the reflex to "hold on for dear life" would have paralysed the Raiders in the past. Instead, we kept attacking hard, trying to score more points...and the results speak for themselves.

It's almost as if management have been reading the thread on Ricky's appearance on 'NRL 360', where our approach to playing with a lead was heavily discussed...

Well, maybe not...but very gratifying to see in any case.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I thought this was by far the best game for the THIS spine as a combination

Hodgson,Sezer and Wighton linked up really well, and CNK seemed a little more fluid in chiming in on attack... It just all kind of clicked for them last night, hopefully a sign of things to come
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2019, 9:49 am Interesting that Stuart regarded this game as the best one Sezer has played for the club, and the best Hodgo has played this season.

Sezer has had a few good games for us in the past, but I'm pretty on board with the coach on both points. Some of the criticism of Sezer during this game was ridiculous. It goes to show how easy it is to go into a game with a preconceived idea and run with it despite all the evidence to the contrary.
It seemed to me like Hodgson utilised Sezer a lot more this week than usual, and everybody benefitted from it too.

I'd also like to mention that when Tapine goes to secondrow to cover for Whitehead, that's when he scores his try. Is absolutely wasted in the middle, and similarly Bateman BELONGS in the middle. Make the switch happen, Stick!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: July 15, 2019, 10:35 am I thought this was by far the best game for the THIS spine as a combination

Hodgson,Sezer and Wighton linked up really well, and CNK seemed a little more fluid in chiming in on attack... It just all kind of clicked for them last night, hopefully a sign of things to come
Not a bad time of year to be starting to see things clicking together - building nicely here Piggy! There is a good feel about how we are travelling.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm just damn happy with how we're going..not us..them.

3rd position..fantastic effort so far.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: July 15, 2019, 12:22 pm I'm just damn happy with how we're going..not us..them.

I think it’s fair to say we have had more week to week disruption with injuries and suspension than recent previous seasons so it really is a fantastic effort. Ironically having to cover the injuries, suspensions and origin period will likely give us good depth and options come September.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: July 15, 2019, 1:25 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 15, 2019, 12:22 pm I'm just damn happy with how we're going..not us..them.

I think it’s fair to say we have had more week to week disruption with injuries and suspension than recent previous seasons so it really is a fantastic effort. Ironically having to cover the injuries, suspensions and origin period will likely give us good depth and options come September.
Agreed. Just goes to show how much attitude is more important than excuses.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Rickman wrote: July 15, 2019, 10:41 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2019, 9:49 am Interesting that Stuart regarded this game as the best one Sezer has played for the club, and the best Hodgo has played this season.

It seemed to me like Hodgson utilised Sezer a lot more this week than usual, and everybody benefitted from it too.

I'd also like to mention that when Tapine goes to secondrow to cover for Whitehead, that's when he scores his try. Is absolutely wasted in the middle, and similarly Bateman BELONGS in the middle. Make the switch happen, Stick!
Keep the faith in the Great Man... I’m sure he has his reasons!

(Btw, I agree 100%. Bateman needs to be involved in as many plays as possible - he gets better with the more touches he gets)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings: Raiders run hot

2. Canberra Raiders (3)
It pleases me to no end to say the Raiders are No.2 and they're back to where they were at the start of the year in terms of worrying teams with hard-nosed defence and capitalising on silly errors. They had that sharp focus in everything they did against the Dragons and that's the Raiders I expect to see heading into the finals.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/15/sow ... -slipping/

Round 17 Team Song v Dragons: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... v-dragons/

Roaming Elliott: Round 17 v Dragons: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... v-dragons/

Round 17 in the sheds: Jarrod Croker: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... od-croker/

Stuart: People who think it was a spear tackle are new to rugby league: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/14/stu ... by-league/

Round 17 Moment of the week: Croker breaks record: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... ks-record/

Raiders.com.au competition to vote man of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/

Raiders.com.au competition to vote moment of the month: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... the-month/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

2nd in the power rankings?? Here comes the complaining!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How's that algorithm going Nickman?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's finished Ferg, and it says that the Raiders should be 2nd!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, it's RICKman!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't disagree this week, actually. The Raiders have won four of the last five, the Roosters and Dragons have won two of the past five. So how does the algorithm work? What weightings for actual ladder position, recent wins, wins against top eight opposition?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'll show you a screenshot in a second
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I agree 100% that this would be better when we have the ball. But we are a defensively focused team this year, and I think Bateman gets isolated less on the Edge than Tarps does, so I can see why Stick has kept them where they are. Also Bateman is an 80minute player, Tarps fades a bit with fatigue, so it’s simpler to have him in the middle third rotation and kept fresh with multiple stints.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Coastalraider wrote: July 15, 2019, 3:48 pm

I agree 100% that this would be better when we have the ball. But we are a defensively focused team this year, and I think Bateman gets isolated less on the Edge than Tarps does, so I can see why Stick has kept them where they are. Also Bateman is an 80minute player, Tarps fades a bit with fatigue, so it’s simpler to have him in the middle third rotation and kept fresh with multiple stints.
I wouldnt be surprised if the change was made once young is back in the side as he will be able to rotate on an edge with tarps to maintain intensity on the edge
Dont delete this GE
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Few thoughts:

Bailey Simonsson has been immense this year. Flying under the radar IMO.

Great to see Joe Tapaine looking like himself again.

First time in a long while it looked like the 6 , 7 and 9 were on the same page.

It's noticeable how often CNK has been following the forwards in the ruck. Really great to see.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

For all those slagging off Sezer’s decision making in putting through a second tackle grubbed watch the Jarrod Crocker interview - he called for the kick and takes responsibility for it. Sure execution was off but it was not the mental brain faded that many immediately pinned on Sezer.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Simonsson is now among the top 10 wingers in the NRL.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Green Blogger wrote: July 15, 2019, 8:00 pm For all those slagging off Sezer’s decision making in putting through a second tackle grubbed watch the Jarrod Crocker interview - he called for the kick and takes responsibility for it. Sure execution was off but it was not the mental brain faded that many immediately pinned on Sezer.
Exactly. An inch either side, Croker and Wighton are flying through and one of them scores, we all cheer for the perfect kick and make the lead even bigger. Instead, didn't quite come off.

It's funny, I just read on the previous page someone complaining that maybe Sezer wasn't watching but instead focusing on the weight of the kick - well, wasn't that what you all were complaining about before? That he put too many grubbers dead in goal? He really can't win with some people :lol:

Simonssen has been absolutely beasty and I'm so glad we've found him. Another contender for buy of the year. I've loved all our buys.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: July 15, 2019, 5:20 pm Few thoughts:

Bailey Simonsson has been immense this year. Flying under the radar IMO.

Great to see Joe Tapaine looking like himself again.

First time in a long while it looked like the 6 , 7 and 9 were on the same page.

It's noticeable how often CNK has been following the forwards in the ruck. Really great to see.
I think people within the club have noted Simonsson and it's no coincidence he has leapfrogged Oldie and Kris and allowed the Cotric to right centre to be a no brainer (when really, moving an Origin winger who loves the position should at least be questioned). See also the delay and complication of the Rapana signing. He killed it at FB for Mounties and has grown into every week as a FG winger. All of a sudden Rapana will have to take a haircut (and his haircuts are always terrible). I hope Jordy stays but Simonnsen has been very, very good to even have anyone giving a second thought to throwing the blank cheque at Jordy.

I think that was the best our spine have looked. Several parts to it- Hodgo had blown the rust off and was back to his scheming, thieving best; Sezer has nothing to lose and is playing with freedom (and dollar signs stake) plus got a fairer shake of the ball; Jack showing what we almost never dreamed he could do- tone it down and use his array of skills at 80mph instead pf 120mph when needed PLUS be the #1 kick option... who'd have thunk it?; Charnze sniffing around after the ball now he his fit and healthy again and just quietly adding to his game. He won't rest on his laurels that kid- he wants to be the complete package.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

it was a set play, aimed to pile on the pain on a badly beaten team
There was no downside to it at all. The try is also scored because of an insanely lucky deflection that could have gone anywhere, but lands in the hands of a player who immediately has one of the fastest players on the field hitting a natural cut back lane.

I havent seen people complain about it, but if they are, they're **** in the head.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:it was a set play, aimed to pile on the pain on a badly beaten team
There was no downside to it at all. The try is also scored because of an insanely lucky deflection that could have gone anywhere, but lands in the hands of a player who immediately has one of the fastest players on the field hitting a natural cut back lane.

I havent seen people complain about it, but if they are, they're **** in the head.
Gee, I genuinely thought CNK was gonna run him down too!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: July 15, 2019, 3:44 pm I'll show you a screenshot in a second
Hasn’t happened yet.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dufty was in 2nd gear, CNK was never going to catch him with that 20kg heart he's carrying...

Just shows the commitment though yes ?

Watch Bateman..he keeps Dufty from improving his position, he didn't have to, but he did.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: July 15, 2019, 3:44 pm I'll show you a screenshot in a second
Hasn’t happened yet.
Ahhhh, remind me when I get to work. Just gotta do my tax this morning first!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote: July 16, 2019, 6:50 am Dufty was in 2nd gear, CNK was never going to catch him with that 20kg heart he's carrying...

Watch Bateman..he keeps Dufty from improving his position, he didn't have to, but he did.
Both CNK and Bateman had gotten through a whole lot of work already that game, and there they were chasing after one of the quickest out there. It was enough to prevent dragons from kicking that last goal
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: July 16, 2019, 9:07 am
-PJ- wrote: July 16, 2019, 6:50 am Dufty was in 2nd gear, CNK was never going to catch him with that 20kg heart he's carrying...

Both CNK and Bateman had gotten through a whole lot of work already that game, and there they were chasing after one of the quickest out there. It was enough to prevent dragons from kicking that last goal
And that's EXACTLY the sort of effort you want to see from the team when they're up by thirty-odd points and there's a minute to go. Really pleasing stuff.