Fading fast

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Re: Fading fast

Post by hobbsy »

Not to worry boys, Rick has it sorted. "I know what it is and I know how to fix it".

But I agree with Northern in that they are the exception. We've actually shown in a fair few games this year we can play out the 80 comfortably. While there are some pretty bad memories coming back from the Sharks and Eels games if you take each game on it's own there's enough different factors at play there for me to be confident enough our old habits haven't fully come back just yet.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

hoping the Raiders don't St. George the crap out of the rest of the season
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 9:49 am It's pretty obvious to me the team STILL has this same issue of being world-beaters for the first 30 minutes and then completely fading out for the rest of the game that has plagued us for 2016-17. Only difference is that this year we've managed to hang on to a few of the games we would've lost in the previous two seasons.

But the Eels and Sharks games were absolute proof to me that the team still seems incapable for whatever reason of going on with the job. Does our structure completely fall apart? Do we get overconfident and forget how to play solid football? Do we lack fitness? What is the real issue here?

Keen to hear people's suggestions to how we learn to go on with the job once we race out to a lead. We shouldn't be losing from any early greater than 12 point lead hardly ever, the amount of times we've done it now the last few seasons is absolutely ridiculous. It's more than a coincidence now.
Is anyone else sick of this constant negativity from Rickman?

I honestly wish he'd make an effort to find SOMETHING positive to discuss .... and maybe, just maybe, have a little faith in the coach.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

8 rounds TR
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rickman is NOT Nickman. It's a Lucy alt

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I think we need to step up our attack, running 1 out for 4 tackles, or five ,or even 6 is boring footy and not what we are known for, a fair percentage of our tries this year have been pretty lucky, and that's talent, not coaching imo. And line speed needs addressing also

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

hobbsy wrote:Not to worry boys, Rick has it sorted. "I know what it is and I know how to fix it".

But I agree with Northern in that they are the exception. We've actually shown in a fair few games this year we can play out the 80 comfortably. While there are some pretty bad memories coming back from the Sharks and Eels games if you take each game on it's own there's enough different factors at play there for me to be confident enough our old habits haven't fully come back just yet.
Yeah. The boys were already thinking of their trip to Bali

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

T_R wrote:
The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 9:49 am It's pretty obvious to me the team STILL has this same issue of being world-beaters for the first 30 minutes and then completely fading out for the rest of the game that has plagued us for 2016-17. Only difference is that this year we've managed to hang on to a few of the games we would've lost in the previous two seasons.

But the Eels and Sharks games were absolute proof to me that the team still seems incapable for whatever reason of going on with the job. Does our structure completely fall apart? Do we get overconfident and forget how to play solid football? Do we lack fitness? What is the real issue here?

Keen to hear people's suggestions to how we learn to go on with the job once we race out to a lead. We shouldn't be losing from any early greater than 12 point lead hardly ever, the amount of times we've done it now the last few seasons is absolutely ridiculous. It's more than a coincidence now.

I honestly wish he'd make an effort to find SOMETHING positive to discuss .... and maybe, just maybe, have a little faith in the coach.
Yes. But don't disagree with him or he will try and belittle you, then log into his other alternate profiles and support his own posts...🤣🤣🤣

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's not what i'd do at all! And i dont have any other alternate profiles!
Good grief, Neeeegz
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:That's not what i'd do at all! And i dont have any other alternate profiles!
Good grief, Neeeegz
Umm I was talking to the other Rickman

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Thanks Dubs
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahaha that’s a HUGE dubby too!

Neeeeegz should absolutely say it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Neeeegz wrote:
T_R wrote:

Yes. But don't disagree with him or he will try and belittle you, then log into his other alternate profiles and support his own posts...🤣🤣🤣

I was joking.

Jeez, this place is confusing me

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha Neeeeeeegz. Somewhere out there there’s a circus that’s missing a clown.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned, but whilst it's concerning Raiders have faded their last 2 games, at least Raiders were able to scrape together a win against the Sharks, which they probably wouldn't have been able to get done last year.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: July 5, 2019, 9:19 am pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned, but whilst it's concerning Raiders have faded their last 2 games, at least Raiders were able to scrape together a win against the Sharks, which they probably wouldn't have been able to get done last year.
Nah, not been mentioned at all. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid really needs to say it.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:28 am Sid really needs to say it.
I was joking! When you give me that look it means that I'm joking!

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:51 am
I'm confused about something here... did you used to be Sir McSquid?? I always thought you were, but I noticed the other day that that's a different account, so now I'm confused.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sid wrote:
Great Krusty line!

"It was a joke! When you give me that look it was a joke!"

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: July 5, 2019, 11:42 am
Sid wrote:
Great Krusty line!

"It was a joke! When you give me that look it was a joke!"

Thanks dubs.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:55 am
I'm confused about something here... did you used to be Sir McSquid?? I always thought you were, but I noticed the other day that that's a different account, so now I'm confused.
I was! I can no longer get into that old account though for some reason

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: July 5, 2019, 3:39 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:55 am
I was! I can no longer get into that old account though for some reason
Classic Fergus.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:Hahaha Neeeeeeegz. Somewhere out there there’s a circus that’s missing a clown.
I was going to put a bet in you saying something like that, but it was paying even odds.

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I think the Dragons will be the telling game. If we don't come back into that re-energised and play the full 80, then I'll start to get very concerned.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Fading fast

Post by LastRaider »

I believe a lot of the season now lies on Wighton and what he does from here on in. If he can remove these hot and cold patches from his game we are a good chance to finish strong, however if it continues we are really going to struggle to keep the intensity up and being able to defend the errors.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

LastRaider wrote:I believe a lot of the season now lies on Wighton and what he does from here on in. If he can remove these hot and cold patches from his game we are a good chance to finish strong, however if it continues we are really going to struggle to keep the intensity up and being able to defend the errors.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah agreed, I was talking to somebody about that yesterday, actually. While Wighton’s errors against the eels didn’t cost us the game, he certainly ensured we were no chance of winning it.

Halves just don’t have games like that, I honestly can’t remember one that bad.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I reckon the kicker for whether we have a decent end to the season is Hodgson. Wighton will give it 100% every week and on the whole he will do his job and be one of our best, but Hodgo is the one that has scored the grand total of 1 point in our POTY contest. Nowhere near good enough for arguably our best player.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

We have pretty high expectations of Hodgo. He's had a disrupted season with all his injuries and coming back just as we go to bye etc. 16 rounds in and feels like he's barely been able to get started.

Hopefully he can wind into some form for the back end.

I tend to agree. If we are relying on just Jack magic to get us up then we will win the odd game but not mount a consistent challenge. But if we have an in form Hodgo producing week in week out and Jack just chiming in... Then we might win enough games consistently enough to challenge for it. We need 2 creative sources + then hope Bateman, Cotric, Rapana, CNK can get us point off the back of Hodgo's scheming and Jacks runningopenign things up.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

A couple of people have nailed it in this thread (Simo and Matt).

We simply haven't learned the habit of playing solid, attacking football when holding a lead. We either:
(a) revert to one-out/dummy half runs for the first three of every set (usually from our back three)...this is predictable and way too easy to defend. Oppositions have a chance to get their mojo back and mount a comeback through ad-lib play.
Or (b) we panic play...push too many passes, send the ball side to side without pushing through the middle first. This results inevitably in errors and we get gassed due to low possession...in time, we miss tackles, they score and the panic deepens (e.g. the Parammatta game).

We need to develop a more aggressive mindest when holding a lead. We need to look to keep scoring, keep applying pressure to the opposition's defense. Many teams have come back from an 18 point deficit...put 30 on them and they would all give up, even Melbourne (although this never happens to Melbourne in the first place, of course).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hodgson was immense tonight against the Drags and we looked 1000 times better as a team.

If he can keep that form up, we're in this comp up to our earballs. Souths are very average and the Roosters are far from invincible. It's only the Storm who are entirely dominant.

It'll be an interesting end to the season.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2019, 1:18 am Hodgson was immense tonight against the Drags and we looked 1000 times better as a team.

If he can keep that form up, we're in this comp up to our earballs. Souths are very average and the Roosters are far from invincible. It's only the Storm who are entirely dominant.

It'll be an interesting end to the season.
I actually don't think Storm will win this season, talent just simply isn't there IMO. If they come up against us or the Roosters in the finals I reckon we'll knock them over.

Gee they play well as a unit, but as the Roosters showed last year, in the big dance it's often the big names who stand up. I just think both us and the Roosters have them on paper.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I tend to agree, on GF day, when you arent worried about your team being adequately motivated, the more talented unit will generally win and yeah, top to bottom the storm aren't that

The thing with the Storm is they're going to play at the same level every week, at a great 8.5/10.
So if that more talented team doesnt perform to their talent and deliver, the storm will grind them into the dust.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: July 15, 2019, 10:58 am I tend to agree, on GF day, when you arent worried about your team being adequately motivated, the more talented unit will generally win and yeah, top to bottom the storm aren't that

The thing with the Storm is they're going to play at the same level every week, at a great 8.5/10.
So if that more talented team doesnt perform to their talent and deliver, the storm will grind them into the dust.
Agreed. Storm was the best, most consistent team last year (just like this year) and the Roosters just absolutely blew them off the field grand final day. The Roosters also have the best team on paper I've seen in the last 20 years, with the possible exception of the Storm "salary cap" team. Just absolutely stacked roster.

Ours isn't too far off it either, if people could look beyond thinking we're not "premiership threats" and just look individually at the talent we have right across the park.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Played awesome with the lead against the Dragons. Didn't shut up shop on the one hand, or play panic football on the other...just good direct footy aiming to keep scoring. Very good signs for this team.